Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Weekend games 2nd to the 4th April

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Excellent to end our bad run versus Bohs. I don’t know what people see in Georgie Kelly. I think he is an awful player. I’m struggling this season with that watchloi experience. It was a novelty last season it’s just frustrating this year with the continued absence from games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Decent point for us, Drogheda are gonna give trouble to any side especially at home this season , great strike from Karl O'Sullivan as well!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Decent point for us, Drogheda are gonna give trouble to any side especially at home this season , great strike from Karl O'Sullivan as well!
    I’ll take that point - Foley is a real threat. I thought once we brought Markey on we were a different side. Hopefully Tim has settled on him now. I think we look like a side still settling and in some cases still getting premier division fitness.

Harps looked like predators waiting to strike and much better than I would have presumed b4 the season started.

My question mow if if harps, Longford and Drogs aren’t necessarily relegation fodder then who is? This season looks like it might be the tightest in a long time.
    Drogheda United in this together

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Excellent to end our bad run versus Bohs. I don’t know what people see in Georgie Kelly. I think he is an awful player. I’m struggling this season with that watchloi experience. It was a novelty last season it’s just frustrating this year with the continued absence from games.
    Kelly plays like a rugby player that has recently switched to playing football, a massive downgrade on Andre Wright for Bohs. Good win for pats, wasn’t a fantastic performance but it didn’t have to be with Bohs playing a poorly as they did. Relegation 6 pointer at Oriel next week!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    I’ll take that point - Foley is a real threat. I thought once we brought Markey on we were a different side. Hopefully Tim has settled on him now. I think we look like a side still settling and in some cases still getting premier division fitness.

Harps looked like predators waiting to strike and much better than I would have presumed b4 the season started.

My question mow if if harps, Longford and Drogs aren’t necessarily relegation fodder then who is? This season looks like it might be the tightest in a long time.
    Derry looking to be early favourites on reports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    A comprehensive 4-0 win for UCD away in Cork. Seeing how Athlone did against Galway may put our 2-2 draw with them last week into context. Cabo setting the early pace like last season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    That’s a great win for UCD, Cobh away is never easy and a 4-0 win is a serious statement. I thought UCD might fall behind a bit after last season but looks like I was wrong.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Beat them 6-0 away last year. Both our results this year are worse than last year!

But yeah, happy out with that alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    That’s a great win for UCD, Cobh away is never easy and a 4-0 win is a serious statement. I thought UCD might fall behind a bit after last season but looks like I was wrong.
    We've only really lost Yoyo Mahdy and Josh Collins. The core of last year's team has been retained to which we've added Todd and Brennan. For a club with a team of such a young profile just retaining most players for an additional year will see the team improve.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    No real surprises today in the results, with Waterford & Pat's dispatching the relegation fodder.
    Harps look a proper outfit this year and if things go their way this year with injuries could challenge the euro spots.
    Onto next week!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    As stated after Longford game, Derry are in serious trouble.
    What were the expectations in Derry before the season started? In my mind they were in danger of relegation before a ball was kicked. Unless I'm forgetting someone I cant think of a decent signing outside of Parkhouse and Lafferty and they seemed to lose a few of the regulars from what was a bad side last year. Thought themselves and Waterford might get embroiled in a playoff battle at best.

You'd need Parkhouse to fire in 15 goals to stay up I think but who is going to create them? Am I missing something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Need to be beating relegation fodder like Bohs comfortably if we're going to win the league.
    Bohs LOL

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Drogs the new Harps, Harps the new Dundalk?
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Bohs were awful, Pat's were organised
    Standard of football was rarly 1980's
    Relegation 6 pointer in Oriel next week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    What were the expectations in Derry before the season started? In my mind they were in danger of relegation before a ball was kicked. Unless I'm forgetting someone I cant think of a decent signing outside of Parkhouse and Lafferty and they seemed to lose a few of the regulars from what was a bad side last year. Thought themselves and Waterford might get embroiled in a playoff battle at best.

You'd need Parkhouse to fire in 15 goals to stay up I think but who is going to create them? Am I missing something?
    Good point, the midfield is a bit light at the moment. There's nobody like say, Deegan that Drogheda have, to direct them. someone like Bolger would have been out of our reach.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post

Yeah we were in danger of relegation before the season started. There is no doubt would have been more than happy with a mid table finish.

The management is the problem. We were dreadful last year and were saved by it being an interrupted, shortened season. We have not improved.

We are utterly clueless. We have had two games now and Parkhouse who will get you goals has not had a single chance created for him. We actually played Will Fitzgerald up top yesterday with him in a 5-3-2 which was mind boggling.

I think we have the makings of a good defence (keeper questionable). Toal and McJannet are both good centre halves. Laffterty solid left back. Although he is 31 now and was played LWB yesterday, a role he has never played and was expected to carry that whole left side himself.

We have no midfield at all. We have no wingers or at least no wide threat at all, and the entire team look like they do not know what they were doing. Devine offers no tactical guidance apart from shouting “SECOND BALL” or other such crap. In the last throes of yesterday’s game he could be heard shouting at Parkhouse to come over and take our throw ins (??).

I felt he should’ve went last August/September anyway so none of this is a surprise and we are probably favourites now to finish bottom unless we act soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Yeah we were in danger of relegation before the season started. There is no doubt would have been more than happy with a mid table finish.

The management is the problem. We were dreadful last year and were saved by it being an interrupted, shortened season. We have not improved.

We are utterly clueless. We have had two games now and Parkhouse who will get you goals has not had a single chance created for him. We actually played Will Fitzgerald up top yesterday with him in a 5-3-2 which was mind boggling.

I think we have the makings of a good defence (keeper questionable). Toal and McJannet are both good centre halves. Laffterty solid left back. Although he is 31 now and was played LWB yesterday, a role he has never played and was expected to carry that whole left side himself.

We have no midfield at all. We have no wingers or at least no wide threat at all, and the entire team look like they do not know what they were doing. Devine offers no tactical guidance apart from shouting “SECOND BALL” or other such crap. In the last throes of yesterday’s game he could be heard shouting at Parkhouse to come over and take our throw ins (??).

I felt he should’ve went last August/September anyway so none of this is a surprise and we are probably favourites now to finish bottom unless we act soon.
    Its a worry for Derry, but in saying that Dundalk are on a dreadful run of league form going back to last summer. Our hope is size of squad and that there are quality players in the squad - I think if they were just left to go out and do their own thing, no opposition prep in training or messing with formations etc. that they'd do better. Derry lack that depth and are also stuck in a rut of poor form and Devine doesnt look like he can turn it around. Patching looks like he is offering something even if its just from the set piece. How has he been in general play?

On the offering of tactical guidance from the sideline, one of the strangest and funniest too that Ive ever heard was Dermot Keeley shouting 'Score a goal' during the 94/95 season. Im still not totally sure if he was being flippant but it didnt look like it at the time!! and he did win the league that season.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Patching looks a decent player yes you can tell he has plenty of ability and is technically very good on the occasions he gets on the ball. They are few and far between however as we don’t play much actual football.

There is definitely 7/8 useful players about our squad if a serious lack of depth as well and key positions that have not been filled. We need to change manager and quickly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Its a worry for Derry, but in saying that Dundalk are on a dreadful run of league form going back to last summer. Our hope is size of squad and that there are quality players in the squad - I think if they were just left to go out and do their own thing, no opposition prep in training or messing with formations etc. that they'd do better. Derry lack that depth and are also stuck in a rut of poor form and Devine doesnt look like he can turn it around. Patching looks like he is offering something even if its just from the set piece. How has he been in general play?

On the offering of tactical guidance from the sideline, one of the strangest and funniest too that Ive ever heard was Dermot Keeley shouting 'Score a goal' during the 94/95 season. Im still not totally sure if he was being flippant but it didnt look like it at the time!! and he did win the league that season.
    I was going to say something similar about dundalk. The managerial situation seems a lot less straightforward than a licensing arrangement at least from observing Giokeegnolan operating during a game. Maybe it's all for show and FG is in charge but it looks a bit unusual. I thought they were a mess for the first 45 minutes against Rovers and it wasn't until it seemed like a few senior players decided to take control in the second half that they started to click. That was the first 45 mins of normal time that I felt Dundalk were the better side against Rovers since maybe the season before last. Maybe it was just the formation switch but it seemed more like Shields, Duffy and Hoban etc just decided they'd had enough of the instructions from the sideline.

On Derry I'm sorry to have opened the wound DCWA. I'm just a bit surprised it wasn't talked about before the season started a bit more. I saw people suggesting Derry should be pushing for Europe but I was thinking they would be better off focusing on staying up.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    There seems to be a bit of money in Derry though. Even if the bad start continues, a new manager and a couple of signings could come in and things could change pretty quickly.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast