Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Appreciation

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts

Appreciation

Back from paris in the early hours of the morning, just watched the game now again, its bitter, its heartbreaking, its so painful. The cheat element makes it all the worse and in hindsight we shouldve won in the 90 mins. Am too devastated to write much or analyse the effect of this in details.

But I just want to thank the players, the management for a great campaign, we have come very far in this campaign, things are on the up for us and hopefully when the pain passes we'll realise that. Seeing the effect of the defeat on the players after the game last night is great to see, a feeling in line with that of the fans. Commitment, desire, team spirit all in abundance. In particular, a special word for Trap, Tradelli and Brady, definitely the right men for us imo.

I like the calls for a replay for numerous sources, would love to see it happen but its not going to im afraid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    You watched the whole game again? Why would you do that to yourself?
    Did you at least bring Dr Peepee a nice chocolate croissant?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    ya were all so proud of the boys, there our heroes. proud to be irish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Admirable performance, every one played out of their skins, if the qualifying campaign had been like that, we wouldnt have been in the playoff. They've done us proud last night, shame justice didnt prevail.
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Back from paris in the early hours of the morning, just watched the game now again, its bitter, its heartbreaking, its so painful. The cheat element makes it all the worse and in hindsight we shouldve won in the 90 mins. Am too devastated to write much or analyse the effect of this in details.

But I just want to thank the players, the management for a great campaign, we have come very far in this campaign, things are on the up for us and hopefully when the pain passes we'll realise that. Seeing the effect of the defeat on the players after the game last night is great to see, a feeling in line with that of the fans. Commitment, desire, team spirit all in abundance. In particular, a special word for Trap, Tradelli and Brady, definitely the right men for us imo.

I like the calls for a replay for numerous sources, would love to see it happen but its not going to im afraid.
    can you settle a bet for me....Did Henry handle the ball
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    One of the best Irish performances I've ever seen. In fact I think it could be the best. They were magnificent to a man, played the French off the park and cruelly undone by a cynical bit of cheating. But it's not worth dwelling on - we've put to bed the idea we can't beat a major side away from home. Now it's time to make our own luck, no more last minute heartbreak. We've proven what we're made of, now we do it consistently.

Roll on 2012.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    We were absolutly fantastic last night. Every single player can be proud of their performance. Andrews, Whelan, Doyle, St. Ledger, and Lawrence all had their best games in an Ireland shirt last night. I hope we play with that attacking mentality more often. The French had to resort to cheating to get past us last night. Well done lads.
    Also the support we had in Paris last night was absolutly brilliant.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    great performance by the team and great support from the fans as well.
    very proud.
    I thought Dunne and Andrews, in particular, were immense .
    the players should take a lot of confidence from this game.
    the pain they, and we as fans, feel today will only make qualifying for Euro 2012 all the sweeter!
    Beidh le eile ag an bPaorach.
    Eire abú!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    In 28 years of going to see Ireland away, I haven't been at a game where they played so brilliantly. 1-0 away to the World Cup runners up in 90 minutes in a competitive game. I don't think Ireland has beaten such a big country in their own backyard since Czechoslovakia in 1967. This is now the benchmark. Can it be kept up?

Although I was at the game, sadly I barely saw any of it. For the first half I was too p*ssed to see what was going on, and when I came back from the toilet at half time after sticking my head under the tap to sober up, I couldn't watch the game, and instead spent it with my back turned watching it on the big screen.

Simply brilliant!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez View Post

Although I was at the game, sadly I barely saw any of it. For the first half I was too p*ssed to see what was going on, and when I came back from the toilet at half time after sticking my head under the tap to sober up, I couldn't watch the game, and instead spent it with my back turned watching it on the big screen.
    Simply brilliant!
    Fair play to you for getting to the game.
    I just don't understand how or why fans can drink themselves silly before a game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Very proud of all the players. They showed they can match anyone in World football on their day. Sad we are not going to the world cup but maybe we've inadvertently left a more lasting legacy as everyone can now see how Fifa conspired to ensure France qualified for the tournament instead of a smaller country (i.e. us) and because we wouldn't lie down and roll over for them they needed the ref to step in and ensure they qualified with the worst decision I've ever seen in watching International football for over 30 years (two offsides and two handballs missed - c'mon) everyone can see now how corrupt football has become.

All because of little old Ireland and our fighting spirit in this case on the football pitch.

Now let it lie it's not the French people's or even the French player's fault. The blame is entirely on Sepp Blatter's doorstep. I don't want to be hearing about it for the next 40 years and how we could have won the world cup if we weren't cheated like our neighbours across the water.
    Last edited by youngirish; 20/11/2009 at 11:38 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I just don't understand how or why fans can drink themselves silly before a game.

In fairness, it's easily done!
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    they needed the ref to step in and ensure they qualified with the worst decision I've ever seen in watching International football for over 30 years (two offsides and two handballs missed - c'mon) everyone can see now how corrupt football has become.
    I agree on the corrupt FIFA point, that was obvious with the seeding and their associated comments.

However, although it was an awful decision I dont believe that FIFA influence caused the ref to make the decision he did to allow the goal. For example, it wouldve have been so much easier and plauisible for him to give a penalty when Anelka went down. I think most of us in the ground thought it was a peno on first sight. Upto the fateful moment I thought he had a decent game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    All because of little old Ireland and our fighting spirit in this case on the football pitch.
    That brought tears to my eyes here in work. thats exactly wht it felt like out there in paris. One always wants the underdog to achieve. We were far from the underdog wednesday night.

Im still heartbroken.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lopez View Post
    In 28 years of going to see Ireland away, I haven't been at a game where they played so brilliantly. 1-0 away to the World Cup runners up in 90 minutes in a competitive game. I don't think Ireland has beaten such a big country in their own backyard since Czechoslovakia in 1967. This is now the benchmark. Can it be kept up?

Simply brilliant!
    yoou starnding beside me for the second half lopez, thouhgt u were a pi**ed alright but u were looking at the picth some of the time...

great display by everyone, mcshanes fault for goal...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Great performance. Pity we were robbed. We deserved so much more. Heart-breaking stuff- the eurostar on the way home was worse than a funeral.
    "....until Ray Houghton got the ball and stuck it in the net!!"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Fair play to you for getting to the game.
    It happened to me before the Germany home game in the last campaign. I didn't really understand the whole picture of what was going on in the game and since then I've decided to pace myself when I drink before the game. It's great to go to a game with a few drinks on you, but going slaughtered will ruin the match experience.

Thankfully I was relatively sober for Wednesday's match, and I have to say that the moment of the goal was probably the best footballing experience of my life. The Italy game in 1994 and Holland and Germany in 2001 and 2002 were great, but being there makes it so much better. Sadly the result was also the most heartbreaking for me. However, like the original poster said, onwards and upwards. We can have our heads held high and go into the Euros with a lot of confidence.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Never celebrated a goal like that in my life. Fell tour seats down turned the wrong way around. Never felt as bad ever losing a game. Hurts more now im here reading and seeing all the clips about it. The team were magnificent to a man and the support was unreal.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Trap's dream is to take us to Brazil 2014, I for one would be very happy for him to do so. Cant fault the guy so far. I understand people may not like his tactics at times but we have made significant progress under Trap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The Nation is back in love with their team.....

Great post from Elroy, the key point for me is the relationship between team and fans.The shared grief of Paris, tears on the pitch and in the stands was in such stark conrast to elimination under Kerr and Staunton.I love football, and am watching Jeff Stelling as I write, however I feel strangely detached from events today. The thief of St Denis has entered an infamous hall of Irish heart breakers, Vim Kieft, Coulemans are two names that are etched in my heart forever.Under Trap we have had many magic moments, from Bari to Sofia, Dublin to Paris.The immediate future is bright, going home to Lansdowne with living Legends like Dunne, Doyle Given and Duff, genuine prospects like St Ledger and Lawrence, we will be the unwanted boys from pot three.Over 2 million joined the roller coaster on wednesday night, it may have ended in tears, but the heart bursting pride will remain long after the eyes have dried.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast