Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Definitely wasn't a corner

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    That's not undermining your points buddy.
    It's a prediction that winning ugly, or winning on the back of dubious decisions are not going to last all season.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't think anyone suggested it was? And I wouldn't have said we won ugly. We created plenty of chances, it was giving too many up that was the problem but that happens against good teams.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Imagine telling someone a couple of years ago Cork would be 10 points behind Athlone 2nd bottom of the 1st division!
    I'm reluctant to go overboard as it's still early and I know the First Division can be horrible but..really..the population of Cork and they can't get a team of young lads together that would have them at least upper mid table?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    They have a team that might finish upper mid table, they go by the name of Cobh.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    They have a team that might finish upper mid table, they go by the name of Cobh.
    Touché

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Can argue whether it was a penalty or not. My own view is it was not but I’m more annoyed Talbot didn’t save it. Was a poor hit by Burke. There was that many chances created and two teams defending badly, the game could have finished on any scoreline. Rovers know how to win ugly and late. All the hallmarks of a title winning side.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    At the time I thought definite penalty but seeing the replay would say it’s not.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post

Soft peno but the hand went up and if its a foul then it's a red. Plenty of far worse decisions have gone Bohs way in these games. Nice that it happened very close to where Grace got sent off and conceded a peno for clearing the ball with his head. Enjoyed it immensely.
    That's the best part of all the conspiracy theories about pro-Rovers decisions! It was only 2019 when objectively horrendous sending off and penalty decisions by Harvey and McLaughlin handed Bohs two derbies in a row!

FWIW I thought the peno decision was borderline. I probably wouldn't be happy if it was given against us, and it's never a red card under the current rules.

Rovers were uncharacteristically all over the shop at the back for large spells which probably has a lot to do with the ongoing issues in central midfield. Great to be grinding out results but they're going to need to find their stride to keep winning over the season.

Thought Bohs were decent, especially in the second half. I think they have bigger defensive problems though tbh. I don't rate the centre half options there at all, and Talbot is a liability.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    Ha very true. OK, two teams.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Whatever the outcome of the penalty decision, there were two glaring examples where the standard of finishing was atrocious last night. Really low quality. How on Earth did Burt miss his chance? Aaron Greene's miss on 34 mins was absolutely appaling though. I'm not saying they are bad players because in many other areas they both had good games, but good god, those misses are the kind of thing that make people say "the league is sh*e". Overall, I thought it was a fairly decent game, and those two incidents don't serve as the description of the overall match, it's just that I see it time and again in LOI matches; the lad's through on goals, and then for whatever reason, blind panic sets in and they pass it in to the keepers arms, or miss an open goal, or pick the outcome with the least possible chance of a goal, due to lack of composure.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 24/04/2021 at 1:39 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonny View Post

FWIW I thought the peno decision was borderline. I probably wouldn't be happy if it was given against us, and it's never a red card under the current rules.
    What is the current rule? The latest I can find would make it a red card.

From the fifa rules -"Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off."

Debatable whether it was a push but that's presumably what the referee thought he saw so I don't think he had any other option than the red unless the rules have been updated again. That was from the 2019 version I think.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    Whatever the outcome of the penalty decision, there were two glaring examples where the standard of finishing was atrocious last night. Really low quality. How on Earth did Burt miss his chance? Aaron Greene's miss on 34 mins was absolutely appaling though. I'm not saying they are bad players because in many other areas they both had good games, but good god, those misses are the kind of thing that make people say "the league is sh*e".
    I don't really agree with this tbh. There are awful misses regularly in games at every level. Two of my non-LOI mates text me last night and independently of one another mentioned how enjoyable the game was and how attractive the football was. The football in the LOI is lightyears more attractive than comparable levels in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    What is the current rule? The latest I can find would make it a red card.

From the fifa rules -"Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g. holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off."

Debatable whether it was a push but that's presumably what the referee thought he saw so I don't think he had any other option than the red unless the rules have been updated again. That was from the 2019 version I think.
    Yeah, if that's the wording of the rule then obviously you could technically justify the red card. I thought the original double jeopardy rule only called for a red in the cases of very cynical or dangerous fouls, but I may have just got that impression from people paraphrasing the rule above incorrectly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    [QUOTE=Calcio Jack;2074677]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    Terrible decision.
    Rovers aren't impressing this season.[

Imagine what we’ll be like when we click into gear - was a peno and red card

Keith Long didn’t know he was live in his interview with Tony O’D no wonder he was being so outspoken and livid re the penalty -albeit completely wrong

PS was he wearing fake tan
    tt was the most impressive thing about Bohs preseason visit to Oriel! With lockdown he must be going through bottles of the stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    I know there is a long way to go but it feels like the top of the table at least is settling with Rovers looking like they will only get better and pull away - they have won ugly (no disrespect intended) which is a usual trait in a league winning team when required.

I like Pats but feel they won’t be able to keep the pace.

As a Drogs fan I take heart that our only two defeats to date are against the current top 2 (injury time goals too), but we need a lot more points b4 I feel a bit more relaxed (sure isn’t that the thrill).
    Nah, its obviously just the worst standerd league season ever!!

Every game for Dundalk is now huge but today against a promoted side and a local rival, managerless or not, is a badly need to win never mind a must win. Drogs have shown enough to being able to stay out of trouble, Dundalk need to do the same tbh and stop the rot - we could be bottom if Derry get a new manager bounce. Longford and Waterford will being interesting considering the issues this week at the RSC.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    What exactly is going on with Keith Long? Apologies if there is some sort of medical issue, but he looks like he's been tangoed and had his eyebrows shaved off!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I don't really agree with this tbh. There are awful misses regularly in games at every level. Two of my non-LOI mates text me last night and independently of one another mentioned how enjoyable the game was and how attractive the football was. The football in the LOI is lightyears more attractive than comparable levels in the UK.
    I don't disagree with that. I wasn't saying the match was atrocious, far from it. To be fair, I watched Liverpool draw 1-1 vs Newcastle and Aaron Greene's shot gets mixed in with how bad Liverpool's were, though I still think in general, the standard of one-on-one finishing here in this League from a coaching/technical point of view is sorely lacking, though the game overall may indeed be light years more attractive than the Conference etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Decent crowd inside/ outside the dundalk game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    What exactly is going on with Keith Long? Apologies if there is some sort of medical issue, but he looks like he's been tangoed and had his eyebrows shaved off!
    Thought the same hopefully nothing more than a bad application of fake tan
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 24/04/2021 at 6:52 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    [QUOTE=Calcio Jack;2074677]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohtastic View Post
    Terrible decision.
    Rovers aren't impressing this season.[

Imagine what we’ll be like when we click into gear - was a peno and red card

Keith Long didn’t know he was live in his interview with Tony O’D no wonder he was being so outspoken and livid re the penalty -albeit completely wrong

PS was he wearing fake tan
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Decent crowd inside/ outside the dundalk game
    I was going to comment on all the ballboys behind the Carrick End. There were always one or too to retrieve balls that went out of the ground. Give them all hi-viz bibs....

Seriously though Na Gardaí should be breaking that group up!!!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 24/04/2021 at 6:54 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Umm yeah now that you say it I feel a bit coy for being smart arsed about it especially if the 'tan' is 'cause of Addisons!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast