Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Attendances 2022

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    3-2 to Cork who were 2-0 up until Cobh got one back before half-time. Really good fast game, Cobh were very unlucky, but Cork will take the win as thats all that matters in this league now as they would have had one eye on the Galway result.

And this is why we love football, Friday nights under the lights and the greatest little league in the world as they say!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    1,300 in Edp tonight .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Watching the Longford Town v Treaty United game on Watch LOI (exciting Saturday in I know), I'm taken aback by the appalling attendance at the game. Longford have started the season brilliantly and deserve a far better support. It seems the surge in attendances in the LOI hasn't reached the midlands yet.

Honestly, is there even 200 supporters in the main stand there? I know Longford don't have a great support, but I would've thought they would have at least 600-700 supporters at their home games. It's very sparse around the ground as well, I'd say there's not much more than 300 there, which is sad to see.

roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    Watching the Longford Town v Treaty United game on Watch LOI (exciting Saturday in I know), I'm taken aback by the appalling attendance at the game. Longford have started the season brilliantly and deserve a far better support. It seems the surge in attendances in the LOI hasn't reached the midlands yet.

Honestly, is there even 200 supporters in the main stand there? I know Longford don't have a great support, but I would've thought they would have at least 600-700 supporters at their home games. It's very sparse around the ground as well, I'd say there's not much more than 300 there, which is sad to see.

500+ official attendance. ET did a great piece on pre covid levels and attendances so far this season, only ourselves and Athlone have lower attendances this season than pre covid. At Athlone it's obvious to see why but for ourselves, as a club I feel we need to have a serious look at why we aren't capturing the minds of the local people.

Now, it should be remembered Longford is a small and very poor town, a huge portion of our fans live and work outside of Longford, there's no college here, so there's unique factors to take into consideration but overall yeah it's disheartening as someone who gives up so much time to try and promote the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Is the grounds location much of a factor ? I always thought it as an awkward ground to get to. If staying over I’d stay mostly stay in Longford and occasionally in Termonbarry. On away trips Id always like to get there early have a bit of dinner and a few pints before the game. In Longford that’s tricky with the grounds location. I’m wondering is that affecting the floating fan in the area that wants a night out and stroll to a game if the ground was located in the town itself ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Is the grounds location much of a factor ? I always thought it as an awkward ground to get to. If staying over I’d stay mostly stay in Longford and occasionally in Termonbarry. On away trips Id always like to get there early have a bit of dinner and a few pints before the game. In Longford that’s tricky with the grounds location. I’m wondering is that affecting the floating fan in the area that wants a night out and stroll to a game if the ground was located in the town itself ?
    Covered this recently, ground location has huge positives and negatives. Positives being huge scope for development (underage pitches, astro, gym all on site) plus a massive car park which we use to generate money (car boot sales etc) but yes we've no fans able to walk from the local boozer etc

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    538 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Covered this recently, ground location has huge positives and negatives. Positives being huge scope for development (underage pitches, astro, gym all on site) plus a massive car park which we use to generate money (car boot sales etc) but yes we've no fans able to walk from the local boozer etc
    I know in late 90s/early 00s that club did free buses to ground from Longford Arms Hotel and there wasnt much uptake on it. I think Co Longford is more of a GAA hotbed than soccer hotbed imo.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    If they'd ever gotten a bar licence out there then there might have been more interest in the buses.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    If they'd ever gotten a bar licence out there then there might have been more interest in the buses.
    How much difference would it genuinely make? Would lads in town leave their local to pay 15 quid in for a few pints and need a taxi in and out? Obviously if you had a nice spacious bar it could be used for events but clubhouse isn't exactly modern for stuff like that. As for the GAA hotbed comments from Martinho, I've been at league games in pearse park with no more than a few hundred at them. It's a bandwagon town just like every other bar the obvious exceptions, cork, Dundalk, Sligo.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    410 Posts
    How much difference would it genuinely make? Would lads in town leave their local to pay 15 quid in for a few pints and need a taxi in and out? Obviously if you had a nice spacious bar it could be used for events but clubhouse isn't exactly modern for stuff like that. As for the GAA hotbed comments from Martinho, I've been at league games in pearse park with no more than a few hundred at them. It's a bandwagon town just like every other bar the obvious exceptions, cork, Dundalk, Sligo.
    Important also to remember that Longford town only has a population of 10,000, and the county is the second smallest on the island with only 40,000 people. Dundalk is four times bigger as a town, Sligo twice as big, and Cork about 20 times larger. Plus all 3 of those are genuine football towns, whilst Longford isn't. Cobh has a bigger population and is a genuine football town, but isn't pulling in bigger crowds (Friday's derby aside).

In reality Longford isn't doing all that bad, all things considered. It's just a small town in a small county that doesn't have a strong football history.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Longford's football history matches Cobh's in fairness. You can't say Cobh is a football town and Longford isn't. If you read back the old Leader papers (which I've been doing as part of getting UCD's non-league history) you can see plenty of excitement and interest at FAI Cup runs, Intermediate Cup titles and Met Cup titles. There was special trains ran for big games going back decades (and maybe for lesser ones, but they tend to be less spoken of). Football, not GAA, tended to be at the top of the page.

There is of course going to be a limit as to what a club from a relatively small town and county can achieve. And in fairness, Longford have achieved a lot.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LOI101 View Post
    2400 and something announced in Oriel
    2427 Official.

Anyone doing the averages,Season on season numbers etc... ??
    Last edited by ToberonaTornado; 24/04/2022 at 10:14 PM.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    If they were getting the bus there and back they wouldn't need a taxi. But you're probably right it wouldn't make a massive difference.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    2,125 in The Showgrounds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Derry-UCD: 3.7k, minus the usual.

Some extra tickets became available late on, presumably UCD returns, but judging by people looking for tickets on social media, I presume it was a sell out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    2,800 at Richmond as per the clubs tweet after the game.
    Here on a technicality.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I was at Longford - Pats game down there last season . Had a few pints in town before the game , absolutely nothing around town to suggest there was a game on .

Asked in two pubs if there was a bus to the ground , barman in first place did'nt know , barman in second place said yeah bus running from Longford Arms , which is kind of amazing if there has'nt been a bus in 20 years .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    2,800 at Richmond as per the clubs tweet after the game.
    Solid attendance but numbers starting to creep downwards after impressive crowds at the start of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Solid attendance but numbers starting to creep downwards after impressive crowds at the start of the season.
    I’m not sure about that, our last league game before Harps had 4,300 and I expect the Derry game to be 4,000+ again.

2,800 against Harps and 2,600 against UCD on a Monday night is great going.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    This is a very hypothetical question but what would we expect Bohs weekly average attendance to be if they had say a capacity of 7000?

This is taking into account current form and seemingly fan disquiet over their current on field direction….

Edit* You could probably ask the same question about Derry without the negative connotation obviously!
    Last edited by joey B; 25/04/2022 at 1:10 PM.

Page 24 of 66 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast