Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Was that your flag at the Ireland v Nigeria game PP? "Plastic & Proud"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    The QPR one? Did he have a blow up barbie doll beside him too? If so thats him alright.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Was that your flag at the Ireland v Nigeria game PP? "Plastic & Proud"
    Not guilty Stutts, although I applaud the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    The QPR one? Did he have a blow up barbie doll beside him too? If so thats him alright.
    I had my sister beside me at the match. I'll tell her you think she looks like a blow-up Barbie doll.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Sorry Off topic, but the first Irish game I went to down in fulham, does anyone remember the two blonde ones in baseball caps, they were in brogans afterwards? Ive not seen them at a game since, i thought they were fluffers(scratching my head for the consulting term?!).

Hanging around with a few lads from the fastest town in Ireland.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Hanging around with a few lads from the fastest town in Ireland.
    Rush?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Here we go again.Despite everything that has gone before, some people just don't get it!

FAI 'making Northern Ireland a Protestant team'

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-15103192.html

Northern Ireland anger as Republic picks Celtic's Paul George

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...#ixzz1CesU3lMn

And yet another twisted poll!

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sp...-15103864.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    From that BT article Northern Ireland anger as Republic picks Celtic's Paul George
    journalist Stuart McKinley comments
    'The world governing body gave the FAI the green light to cherry pick players born in Northern Ireland, despite Fifa’s own statutes dictating that either a player himself, one of his parents or a grandparent must be born on the ‘territory of the relevant association’ in order to play for that country'

1. The FAI have no right to cherry pick players born in NI. It is the player who has the right to chose.

2. The FIFA statutes clearly state that a permanent nationality/citizenship which is not dependant on residence in a country, is the eligibility criteria.

It all goes to prove that this journalist's understanding (shared by many in the OWC) of the FIFA rules in general and in particular scapegoating the FAI, are based on a total ignorance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    From that BT article Northern Ireland anger as Republic picks Celtic's Paul George
    'The world governing body gave the FAI the green light to cherry pick players born in Northern Ireland, despite Fifa’s own statutes dictating that either a player himself, one of his parents or a grandparent must be born on the ‘territory of the relevant association’ in order to play for that country'

1. The FAI have no right to cherry pick players born in NI. It is the player who has the right to chose.

2. The FIFA statutes clearly state that a permanent nationality/citizenship which is not dependant on residence in a country, is the eligibility criteria.

It all goes to prove that this journalist's understanding (shared by many in the OWC) of the FIFA rules in general and in particular scapegoating the FAI, are based on a total ignorance.
    This journalist, along with his sidekick, Paul Ferguson of the Sunday Life, continue to peddle this misguided belief time and time again despite the above being demonstrated to them. Their motives for doing so are really called into question.

9. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    63% yes. Nice one. Serves them right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    [I]'The world governing body gave the FAI the green light to cherry pick players born in Northern Ireland, despite Fifa’s own statutes dictating that either a player himself, one of his parents or a grandparent must be born on the ‘territory of the relevant association’ in order to play for that country'
    I find it difficult to understand how someone might still believe this fallacy after everything that has gone on, especially a journalist who has had ample time to do his homework.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Parker View Post
    This journalist, along with his sidekick, Paul Ferguson of the Sunday Life, continue to peddle this misguided belief time and time again despite the above being demonstrated to them. Their motives for doing so are really called into question.
    In the spirit of empathy, I mentally placed myself in their shoes for a short moment. I found the fact that some players find truer representation with the 'Republic' immediately distressing and an incredibly hard pill to swallow. The image of the FAI as cherrypickers offered some respite from a cruel truth that was quite frankly, bumming me out.

Now happily back in my own footwear. Ahh.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Rush?
    Tuam.

Move yer head from left to right as you say it....
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    fastest town in Ireland, Tuam.

anyone know the coldest?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    there is one about trim as well.

its birrrrrrr obviouslly.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I find it difficult to understand how someone might still believe this fallacy after everything that has gone on, especially a journalist who has had ample time to do his homework.
    It truly is quite ridiculous for them to continue rambling on in ignorance at this stage. Trevor Ringland's piece is just a reiteration of what he said around the time Duffy declared. An astonishing charge, without foundation in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Ringland
    The FAI are in danger of making Northern Ireland a Protestant team - instead of a mixed team - by taking away these young players.
    ...When Northern Ireland lose a player to the FAI it’s a real slap in the face given all the work that is being put in by the IFA — who have shown tremendous leadership over the last 10 years — to improve matters.
    How is the decision of a footballer to represent his national team going to make the Northern Ireland team Protestant? Is it a Protestant team now, or beginning to resemble one, considering that the FAI have been 'taking away' [sic] these young players for a while? Where is the evidence to back this ludicrous contention up?

To blame the FAI for the socio-political reality of the north is simply juvenile. Paul Kee's comments on the matter, I feel, show a greater degree of maturity when it comes to the situation. Kee is an employee of the IFA and coaches their u17 teams, so he obviously knows the players personally. It contrasts somewhat to the rhetoric of the IFA president, political commentators and hack journalists.

“Unfortunately we are vulnerable to losing players in this way,” said Kee.
    “There isn’t a lot that we can do about it other than try to make players feel wanted and feel part of our set-up.
    “Some from nationalist backgrounds will feel an affiliation with the Republic and I believe it was a family decision for Paul.
    “If we start to lose four or five players a year it becomes a problem, but I don’t think we will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    im sorry but is that the former rugby international Trevor Ringland?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Yep it is

In fairness to him he is "all inclusive". When the new leader of UU was going on about GAA and not going to GAA games, and never wanting to go to games, he said in the BT paraphrasing "ill get a couple of ticket for croke park and bring him" and let him see what he thinks then. He might have said playing for ireland was good but playing for my country(ulster) was always the pinnacle for him, he is actually very fair in almost everything he writes/says.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 05/03/2011 at 9:38 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    It truly is quite ridiculous for them to continue rambling on in ignorance at this stage. Trevor Ringland's piece is just a reiteration of what he said around the time Duffy declared. An astonishing charge, without foundation in reality.
    I can't find the piece in question, but from memory, this recent one does appear like a copy-and-paste job. I was searching for the other on Google and happened to stumble upon Nelson's View, the blog of Nelson McCausland: http://theministerspen.blogspot.com/...tionships.html

The IFA lost out last summer in a case before the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which challenged FIFA's stance on the eligibility rule. This gave the FAI in the Republic the go ahead to cherry pick players born in Northern Ireland, despite FIFA's own statutes dictating that either a player himself, one of his parents or a grandparent must be born on the 'territory of the relevant association' in order to play for that country.
    Always good to see the Männyster o Fowkgates, Airts and Aisedom keep himself up-to-speed on issues surrounding the sporting realm, a sphere upon which his official responsibility has been entrusted...
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 06/03/2011 at 10:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post

How is the decision of a footballer to represent his national team going to make the Northern Ireland team Protestant? Is it a Protestant team now, or beginning to resemble one, considering that the FAI have been 'taking away' [sic] these young players for a while? Where is the evidence to back this ludicrous contention up?

To blame the FAI for the socio-political reality of the north is simply juvenile. Paul Kee's comments on the matter, I feel, show a greater degree of maturity when it comes to the situation. Kee is an employee of the IFA and coaches their u17 teams, so he obviously knows the players personally. It contrasts somewhat to the rhetoric of the IFA president, political commentators and hack journalists.

“Unfortunately we are vulnerable to losing players in this way,” said Kee.
    “There isn’t a lot that we can do about it other than try to make players feel wanted and feel part of our set-up.
    “Some from nationalist backgrounds will feel an affiliation with the Republic and I believe it was a family decision for Paul.
    “If we start to lose four or five players a year it becomes a problem, but I don’t think we will.
    I disagree with Kee showing maturity on the topic as this part of his comment, "“Some from nationalist backgrounds will feel an affiliation with the Republic" demonstrates that he doesn't get it either.

I've asked elsewhere what would have suddenly prompted two articles and a poll in the paper on the same day, but no one seems to know. Was there a squad announcement or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Yep it is

In fairness to him he is "all inclusive". When the new leader of UU was going on about GAA and not going to GAA games, and never wanting to go to games, he said in the BT paraphrasing "ill get a couple of ticket for croke park and bring him" and let him see what he thinks then. He might have said playing for ireland was good but playing for my country(ulster) was always the pinnacle for him, he is actually very fair in almost everything he writes/says.
    Since when was Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal part of his "country"?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Page 4 of 387 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast