Page 5 of 229 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmozza View Post
    Celtic's other winger, Nakumura, has also been great for Celtic
    I thought Naka played well. There's no excuses for McGeady. He should have kept things simple at the start and eased himself into the game. As soon as he did the 1st thing wrong I was certain he was going to have a bad game. He'll only learn from these types of matches though.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    McGeady played wide on the left last night. Can someone tell me in what position he got his 3 successive MOTMs recently for Celtic? I don't have Setanta but clips I've seen have shown him more centrally.

And an observation: he always seems to receive the ball at feet & stationary. He never seems to arrive onto the ball. Is his positioning questionable?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Na he plays on the left for Celtic all the time.... but he always cuts in on his right which is when he's most dangerous.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    [QUOTE=bmozza;535433]Made his CL debut against none other than AC Milan and was outstanding that night, so much so that they ended up doubling up on him. QUOTE]

I'm not sure it is possible to write about McGeady without mentioning the performance against Milan. Although he was good that night, I worry that it was the worst thing to happen to his career. At this stage I'd swap him for Maloney.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I hope he doesn't waste his career at Celtic. I'd like to see him try to get a move to even an average Premiership club whereby he could play at a decent level week in and week out rather than just the odd game in the Champions league.
    ahhhh yeah, like miller (liam & kenny), chris sutton, barry ferguson, boumsong.... and many others who 'wasted their careers' with celtic & rangers before moving to premiership clubs and showing their true talent..................

maybe players should actually stay where they are doing well instead of moving to england. i await what becomes of stan petrov with villa, petrov was excellent in scotland (twice the player mcgeady is at the moment) but wonder what impact he'll have at villa (an average premiership club).
    Last edited by gustavo; 14/09/2006 at 7:53 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yea, like Larrson, who arrogent people in pubs time and time again said ''he'd never cut it in the Premiership''....... I wonder what them same lads were saying when he came on for Barca and won the CL for them against Arsenal!!

Cavan fan, agreed that Malony is a better player at the moment, but he wasn't getting on the Celtic side when he was McGeady's age. When McGeady is 23/24 I think he will be an outstanding player. Fingers crossed anyway.

Whilst we're talking about young celts/irish..... O'Brien and O'Carroll are knocking in a few for the reserves this season, could also be good prospects?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    ahhhh yeah, like miller (liam & kenny), chris sutton, barry 'the hun'' ferguson, boumsong.... and many others who 'wasted their careers' with celtic & rangers before moving to premiership clubs and showing their true talent..................

maybe players should actually stay where they are doing well instead of moving to england. i await what becomes of stan petrov with villa, petrov was excellent in scotland (twice the player mcgeady is at the moment) but wonder what impact he'll have at villa (an average premiership club).
    The general standard in England is a lot higher than Scotland (outside of the OF) so you have the big fish small pond situation, a good example is actually Boumsong who was great at Rangers but found out at Newcastle.
    I think Petrov will do very well at Villa because he is a quality player, O'Neil knows him well and knows what to expect from him.
    McGeady should stay where he is imo, he played poorly last night but that's a good midfield they have and he will learn more actually playing at Celtic than if he done what Liam Miller did and end up in a Premiership Top 4 side's reserves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    McGeady played wide on the left last night. Can someone tell me in what position he got his 3 successive MOTMs recently for Celtic? I don't have Setanta but clips I've seen have shown him more centrally.
    He plays left in every game. Strachan doesn't really play 'wingers' though. He plays left footers on the right and right footers on the left so they drift inside. Ronaldinho plays on the left for Barca but he's no winger.

Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan
    I'm not sure it is possible to write about McGeady without mentioning the performance against Milan.
    Well we're hardly going to keep mentioning his performance against the likes of Inverness as people just question the quality of opposition. He has 5 more games to earn a bit of credit for himself, watch all 5 games and then judge him!

As for Maloney, he's a quality player and I'd certainly have him over McGeady atm.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 14/09/2006 at 5:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Stan made a sound valid justifiable brave decision keeping McGeady in reserve on the sub's bench.
    With hindsight maybe he could have come on after 65mins.
    If McGeady is as fragile in confidence as Eirebhoy says then no harm to be patient with him.
    I still think Stan bottled it by not giving McGeady more time against Germany, one bad game does not mean hes not up to it, he was poor last night but I still think he will be a quality player for us

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Yea, like Larrson, who arrogent people in pubs time and time again said ''he'd never cut it in the Premiership''....... I wonder what them same lads were saying when he came on for Barca and won the CL for them against Arsenal!!
    In fairness, Arsenal were down to 10 men at that point.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Yes because we can only justify how well a player does when he does it against an English side, Dont let the fact that Larsson had proven himself more than capable at Barcelona for 2 years before that get in the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    Celtic's other winger, Nakumura, has also been great for Celtic, however he was brutal last night apart from the goal
    Total rubbish! He was the most accomplished player on the ball last night
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I thought Nakamura was excellent last night

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    I'm not sure it is possible to write about McGeady without mentioning the performance against Milan. Although he was good that night, I worry that it was the worst thing to happen to his career. At this stage I'd swap him for Maloney.

That's a fair point and let's not forget it was 2 years ago. I was there that night and he was immense but lets move on from it. It gets boring to keep mentioning one game where he was great as we all know that he can do it on his day and that one game may act like a weight around his neck after a while.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
    Total rubbish! He was the most accomplished player on the ball last night
    What about Scholes???

McGeady had a poor game but so did Gravesen a man with 10 years more experience and a guy who has just come from playing in La Liga with Real, it happens.

As a fan or even a a manager for that matter, its great to have a player that can pick the ball up and create something out of nothing, McGeady can do that.

Celtic need it, Ireland need it and I look forward to him maturing and being an integral part of both teams. This guy has great work ethic as well, something which has developed over the past season or so, so its not as though he's a luxury player.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    ahhhh yeah, like miller (liam & kenny), chris sutton, barry ferguson, boumsong.... and many others who 'wasted their careers' with celtic & rangers before moving to premiership clubs and showing their true talent..................
    I think you'll find Sutton played in the Premiership before he ever moved to Scotland and was more than decent especially at Blackburn and Norwich. Kenny Miller was also good for Wolves.

The others were proven not to be good enough when they moved to the Premiership even though they all looked excellent up in Scotland. That shows how much of a joke of a league it is. If McGeady is good enough he would cut it in the Premiership. If he's proven not to be good enough for the Premiership then I'd rather not see him for Ireland. He can be MOTM all he wants playing Falkirk and Motherwell and sh**e like that. He'll find it hard to adjust when he plays against decent defenders that are
    of a much higher quality as we seen on Wednesday evening. If Ireland played the likes of Inverness in internationals I'd be happy to see him included but unfortunately we generally face opposition of a much higher quality.

Any player of any quality should really not be wasting their time up in Scotland. McGeady would develop into a far better player if he could get a move to a Premiership club where he's guaranteed regular football. He is young and possibly could wait a couple of more years but that's where he should be looking to in the future.
    Last edited by youngirish; 15/09/2006 at 10:08 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    McGeady would develop into a far better player if he could get a move to a Premiership club where he's guaranteed regular football.
    That's the rub though. Which Premiership club could guarantee him a place? I agree that Celtic is best place for him for now.

I thought you hated Kenny Miller?

I kind of alluded to this in the rankings thread earlier though, but I don't think we need all Premiership players to be a competitive international team. Balance and other factors can compensate for lack of real quality in certain positions I think. In general I think playing for a good SPL or Championship Club means that a player has every right to be considered for a starting place in an Ireland side.

I can also think of players who have been proven successes in England but poor in Scotland, not the other way around. Craig Bellamy (OK, he had some great games for Celtic, Dundee Utd hat trick away...) practically cost Celtic the league with abysmal finishing at home to Rangers & away to Motherwell.

Henri Camara is another who does well in P'ship but was a flop at Celtic.

It works both ways.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 15/09/2006 at 11:05 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thought you hated Kenny Miller?
    I do think he's a bit s**t but it would be unfair to say he was c**p for Wolves. He was decent for them though he doesn't have as good a scoring record as any of our Championship strikers (Elliot, Connolly, Morrison).

He isn't good enough for the Premiership though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Anyone know how many players the Dutch team have that play in their domestic league? For comparison purposes (Dutch league could be equivalent to SPL)
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I do think he's a bit s**t but it would be unfair to say he was c**p for Wolves. He was decent for them though he doesn't have as good a scoring record as any of our Championship strikers (Elliot, Connolly, Morrison).

He isn't good enough for the Premiership though.
    Kenny Miller is one of the most slelfless players about. His work rate off the ball is immense and he also has great speed. He reminds me of Aldridge for Ireland in that he puts so much effort outside the box that he was not always in the box to score the goals. he is the sort of guy other team mates love.
    In Trap we trust

Page 5 of 229 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast