Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Montenegro V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 10th September 2008 - World Cup 2010 Q

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Montenegro v Ireland - match thread

Montenegro team vs Bulgaria:

-------------------------------------------- Poleksic (Debrecen) ----------------------------------------------------
    Pavicevic (Energie Cottbus) -- Batak (Ankaraspor) -- Tanasijevic (Dynamo Moscow) -- Bozovic (Rapid Bucharest)
    ----------------------------- Pekovic (FSV Mainz) ----- Drincic (FC Amkar Perm) -----------------------------------
    ----------- Vucinic (AS Roma) ------------ Jovetic (Fiorentina) ------------- Boskovic (Rapid Vienna) -------------
    --------------------------------------- Bogavac (SC Paderborn 07) -------------------------------------------------

Vucinic scored from a direct free kick and he was fouled for a penalty which Jovetic scored.

They're supposed to be weak defensively but their 4 defenders play regularly in the Bundesliga, Turkey, Russia and Romania. Not a bad standard.

Montenegro manager Zoran Filipovic:

“Italy and Bulgaria are favourites to finish top [of Group Eight].

The other teams are good, too, as clubs from Cyprus have demonstrated their quality in Europe, while Ireland and Georgia should not be underestimated, either.

Currently we have some real jewels in our team — Mirko Vucinic, Stevan Jovetic, Simon Vukcevic and Igor Burzanovic. All of them can compete at the highest international level.

We definitely plan to make Ireland play with our style, which should give us a good result. It depends on how the game will develop. Maybe we will force them to defend, but they could well do the same thing.

I am absolutely delighted with the progress we have made. We have started from zero and managed to build a lot of good things during our first year, regarding selecting a group of players for the qualifications. We have played 10 friendly games so far and won four of them, with two draws. I have seen many positive things and those games were a good filter, which showed us which players can be the cornerstone of our squad.

I am happy that Duff, a player I admire very much, will not be coming to Podgorica, but we will still have a lot of work to do trying to contain Robbie Keane in attack. They [Ireland] are fighters, they never give up, which I must say is not a common thing in football these days.

Ireland has great financial capacities. They got a great leader in [Giovanni] Trapattoni. But not all is about money. The team spirit counts, too, the atmosphere in the dressing room is not less important and I strongly believe that those are the factors that determine the winner in international football. We are far behind other squads from our group, because of our small population [650,000], but also football conditions. The most important thing is to play hard every game. I am sure that nobody will have a good time in Podgorica. With good support, we will be a tough nut for every team.”

2 of those "jewels" he mentioned only came on as subs. Vukcevic is an attacking midfielder and was a regular for Sporting Lisbon last season. Burzanovic is a striker off Red Star.

A draw might be a good result but a win would be excellent.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 07/09/2008 at 2:16 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Need to get up and at them early - proper dominate from the off. Seems to be an air of disdain for our technical ability - especially mentioning us in the same vein as Georgia. Hopefully the under-estimation will continue.

Couldn't give a monkeys who the potential threats are - we have a host of players playing in arguably the best league in the world - if we believe in ourselves and take the game to them we can destroy them. Seems like Trap is building confidence game by game - so with a bit of luck we'll be motoring come Wednesday.

Looking at yesterdays performance, any midfield in the world would struggle with Steven Reid in full flight. His dominance needs to be in full effect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    We need 3 points and I reckon the Trap will go for the jugular. If we defend set pieces and stop messing around with the subs we have a chance. Montenegro by the sound of things sound dangerous going forward but are vulnerable at the back. Some quick counter attacks and plenty of crosses should get them on the back foot. Going to try and find some highlights now of their match yesterday.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    rain in the shots on their goalkeeper, he doesnt look great. he should have had that free kick at the end that lost them the 3 points.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Zoran Filipovic sounds like an idiot. He compares us to Cyprus and Georgia whereby we should be similar to Bulgaria in most reasonable people's minds despite our lack of form under Staunton.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Zoran Filipovic sounds like an idiot. He compares us to Cyprus and Georgia whereby we should be similar to Bulgaria in most reasonable people's minds despite our lack of form under Staunton.

It is his opinion.He also gave you a compliment by saying that you never surrender.In my opinion you are better team than Bulgaria.After all,we will see on wednesday who was right.
    I see that most of you like Trapatoni.I must say that I was never impressed by him.I know that there are planty of trophies that he won,but he is also ideal man for messing things up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think Steven Reid will dominate the midfield, if we do then we could be ok, however they seem to have the players to expose our defence(if there is anything there to expose which I believe there is)

SSN says Hunt, Doyle and Given are doubts. I'm not sure if any of them will actually be out come the match.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    We always surrender, right at the end!

I actually thought we were lacking technically yesterday. Several times good balls were played forward or played wide and the recipent's touch was heavy, losing possession cheaply. Also there were too many passes astray - notably McGeady twice in a few minutes in the first half. I didn't see Montenegro last night but I was glad we weren't away to Cyprus. On the flipside, I thought Reid & Whelan protected the ball well under pressure, often winning frees when losing possession seemed more likely.

Noely mentioned in the post match thread that we defended well from the front. In fact it was our hassling up front that led to Doyle's goal I think. However, when we started conceding possession for long periods, especially the last 15 mins of the first half, I think it was because Robbie & Doyle stood off the defenders who were looking to develop play.

On the positive side, the classic "two walls of four players" was very obvious when we weren't in possession, a clear sign that we're becoming more organised & disciplined without the ball. When the draw was made I hoped we'd avoid southern & eastern European teams as I think we're better equipped to play teams closer to home. Tempo & ball retention will be critical to win on Wednesday - I think we may well do it though.

What was the pitch like in Montenegro?
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 07/09/2008 at 9:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montenegrin View Post
    It is his opinion.He also gave you a compliment by saying that you never surrender.In my opinion you are better team than Bulgaria.After all,we will see on wednesday who was right.
    I see that most of you like Trapatoni.I must say that I was never impressed by him.I know that there are planty of trophies that he won,but he is also ideal man for messing things up.
    The 'fighting Irish' and all that.....its not really true, well definetly not in the case of the Irish National team.

But in fairness according to the seedings, Italy and Bulgaria should be favourites in this group. Maby he's never actually watched us play and just relies on the Fifa rankings?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    Maby he's never actually watched us play and just relies on the Fifa rankings?

I doubt that he didnt watch you.It would be to irresponsable.We will see soon enough.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Montenegrin View Post

I really think we will have a very difficult game against you. From what I saw on Saturday you are technically a very good all around team with a small pool of players to choose from. Pound for pound we are a better team but I will be delighted if we come away with three points. Anyway let the best team win. Come on Ireland.
    Last edited by FarBeag; 08/09/2008 at 12:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    3-1 Montenegro.

I'm not confident about this match, even though I trust the manager and players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    2-0 Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    1-0 ireland
    Only another 9 titles till Drogheda become pride of county louth!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm surprised Vucinic was playing on the wing... did he really play there? I thought he was an out and out striker? Quality too from the little I've seen of him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I haven't an idea what the result will be as I have not see Montenegero play.

However they sound like they are technically very good but have problems in defence.

I am really hoping John O Shea has another good game.In footballing terms he is not a young lad anymore so hopefully he follows on from Saturday.

Be a shame if Doyler is unfit.His whole body language looks more confident and could be one of our stalwarts this campaign.

They appear to have a very attacking formation.Could be a humdinger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I think for the nuetral this could be a great game. I don't buy Pat Dolan saying we are negative. We play two out and out wingers and Steven Reid who is regarded as an attacking midfielder by Blackburn fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    that hat trick doyle scored for reading last week, and now one for ireland yesterday, will have him brimming with confidence. Has to start. i see him scoring another on wednesday night.
    It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.
    Muhammad Ali

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I'd say we could just sneak it 2-1, that is of course if we all haven't been sucked into black hole create by the Swiss (what is it with the Swiss and not letting us qualify for an international tournament)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The Swiss? Did I miss something?

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast