Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 128 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969119 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Well I have been at Pride Park enough to ascertain that he is not good enough to step up to International football and that would be the consensus of most Derby fans.

But if people think he should be in Ireland squads when we have O'Shea, Dunne, Clark, McShane, Delaney, Wilson, St Ledger and Pearce then that's their prerogative.

He also played every minute of every game for Coventry when they got relegated to League One!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Has it occurred to you that you might not be the best judge of who can make the step up without actually seeing them in that environment? I wouldn't have him in the squad ahead of most of those named either but if he continues to succeed, I'd certainly like to have a look at him. I doubt many people around here would have predicted a year ago that Damien Delaney would be playing in the Premier League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    McClaren rates Keogh from what I've read. Certainly deserving of Ireland game time at this moment in time IMO

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Ahead of Wilson, Clark, Dunne, O'Shea, McShane and Delaney?

Even Duffy and Pearce?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    To be fair, can we say Duffy or Pearce is a better defender at this point? With regards to the others, a couple of injuries and you would be on the phone to Derby for sure.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Well I have been at Pride Park enough to ascertain that he is not good enough to step up to International football and that would be the consensus of most Derby fans.
    But if people think he should be in Ireland squads when we have O'Shea, Dunne, Clark, McShane, Delaney, Wilson, St Ledger and Pearce then that's their prerogative.
    That statement has no value. Consensus indicates unanimity of opinion. "We" don't speak on behalf of others, especially when the others have not expressed any opinion on the matter. Do you seriously think there are more than 10 Derby fans would have a clue about our team?

Regardless, the general opinion amongst Derby fans about captain Keogh is favourable. We are the ones who have opinions about such and such a player being good enough for our team or the squad or worth a look at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Ah Jesus, lads give him a break, he's just giving his opinion on a player he has seen in the flesh a lot more than any of us probably! Tough crowd!

Though the penalty waiting to happen comment from Geysir made me chuckle. I thought PoS had intellectual property rights on that level of foresight!

8. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You'll all be glad to know that Richard Keogh gave away a penalty three years ago: http://forum.football.co.uk/about327777.html

Also, because I'm sure you're all dying to know, his namesake on the journal.ie site is dead against the death penalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Are you Richard Keogh's agent? That wasn't the last penalty he conceded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No, don't you know how this works? I'm a close admirer of Richard Keogh who in no way knows him but watches every game he plays and knows what he's thinking, but I am in no way the actual Richard Keogh. Just ask the doc, he's not a professional footballer either. Neither of us are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Speaking of the doc how is Ruud doing?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    No, don't you know how this works? I'm a close admirer of Richard Keogh who in no way knows him but watches every game he plays and knows what he's thinking, but I am in no way the actual Richard Keogh. Just ask the doc, he's not a professional footballer either. Neither of us are.
    Hmmmmmmm...I wasn't suspicious before but...that's exactly what the actual Richard Keogh would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

He also played every minute of every game for Coventry when they got relegated to League One!
    Derby are one of the few clubs I see from time to time, in the flesh, myself. The consensus amongst the fans I've been talking to is that he is solid. Of course, as SkStu points out, you are more than entitled to your opinion based on what you have seen. That said, he won all three Derby player of the year awards last season, including the fans vote. As someone else pointed out, the majority of Derby fans wouldn't care if he can step up to the plate for Ireland, but I do know the ones I've been talking to rate him a lot higher than Sledge. Granted I doubt they've seen him play for us very often. Nobody is campaigning for his inclusion a such, I just don't think we can afford to rule the likes of him out completely. Do you mind me asking what brings you to Pride Park (iPro!) so regularly?

Of the players you mention, Dunne, O'Shea and Delaney aren't getting any younger, and I think Delaney and Keogh are fairly comparable anyway. We've seen enough of McShane to have a look if Keogh could be a better option, certainly worth some more game time. There's a good chance Wilson will be used at left back and Sledge has his own problems. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season goes for Keogh but I'd be happy that he's on the radar. He's a good age as well for an emergency centre back I think.

Keogh won Coventry's player of the year for the second season running the year they were relegated, got a swift transfer to Derby and was immediately installed as captain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Roy Keane's new book 'The Second Half' to come out this Autumn. Nothing like some Keano controversy and bridge burning to kick start the Euro qualifiers!

A short film in the pipeline too.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Roy Keane is inevitably going to have run ins with players. It's simply a matter of time. Everyone knew that when he was hired.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Roy Keane's new book 'The Second Half' to come out this Autumn. Nothing like some Keano controversy and bridge burning to kick start the Euro qualifiers!
    Apparently to be written with Roddy Doyle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    He defends his alleged hygiene issues and flatulence problems at length and as the book ends he is just dialing up Stephen Ireland and it says "To Be Continued in 2030".
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...r?ICID=HP_BN_8

A new book and a new movie. Keane is a man in demand.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Joe Pesci would be a shoe-in for the role.