"You need dictatorships and poverty to produce great footballers."

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    778 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    "his annoying accent"

Jesus that's one thing that really annoys me. You're not allowed have a Dublin accent on Irish TV. Make sure you don't hear me so.
    He'd never get a job as a presenter on TV3. "The price of hises has dropped. There was croshe at a rindabite and a thysind people are expocted to attend the meeting today".

To be fair though Kerr's voice was montone and he spoke through his nasal passage (as opposed to some who speak through other passageways). Nothing to do with his accent - just his boring delivery I didn't like.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by frankbrett View Post
    Apparently McGeady has moved to Holland

http://www.fc-utrecht.nl/teams/vrouw...nise_van--Luyn
    Haha, that is quality!
    Maybe, just once, someone will call me 'Sir' without adding, 'You're making a scene.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Hope McGeady does choose to go to Spain. I think he'd flourish there. Glad to hear him say that, shows he has major ambition. Unlike Duffer.
    Well he could have stayed at Blackburn and not won 2 Premiership titles.
    Or stayed on the bench at Chelsea and not be a regular starter for Newcastle (when fit)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Hope McGeady does choose to go to Spain. I think he'd flourish there. Glad to hear him say that, shows he has major ambition. Unlike Duffer.
    Totally inaccurate low blow.

On topic, I think McGeady would excel in Spain.

Looking forward to the match tomorrow.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Well he could have stayed at Blackburn and not won 2 Premiership titles.
    Or stayed on the bench at Chelsea and not be a regular starter for Newcastle (when fit)
    Or fought for his place at Chelsea or gone to Liverpool and played regulalry in the Champions League. Instead he went to a comedy club who could match his Chelsea wages. I'm a big fan of Duffer but he showed a total lack on ambition with that move when there were better offers professionaly on the table.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Or fought for his place at Chelsea or gone to Liverpool and played regulalry in the Champions League. Instead he went to a comedy club who could match his Chelsea wages. I'm a big fan of Duffer but he showed a total lack on ambition with that move when there were better offers professionaly on the table.
    Was there an offer from Liverpool? I never heard about that. I thought it was just Newcastle and Tottenham who made offers for him. In my opinion he showed ambition in moving to Chelsea - where it could have gone wrong for him - and then moving on from Chelsea when he did.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    Was there an offer from Liverpool? I never heard about that. I thought it was just Newcastle and Tottenham who made offers for him. In my opinion he showed ambition in moving to Chelsea - where it could have gone wrong for him - and then moving on from Chelsea when he did.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ed/5204958.stm

"Duff said on Monday: "A lot of people - Liverpool fans in Ireland - will ask 'why didn't you sign for them?'

"But I just listened to my heart and it told me to come to Newcastle. That's all it is." "

Listened to his wallet more like.....

No harm to Glen Roeder but I can't imagine too many ambitious players signing for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/...EAL.1649915.jp

DAMIEN Duff turned down SIX clubs – including Inter Milan – to sign for Newcastle United.
    The Republic of Ireland international was wanted by Inter, Valencia, Tottenham Hotspur, Blackburn Rovers, Everton and Liverpool as well as Newcastle.
    Ridiculous to say that he signed for the money though. He signed for Newcastle so he could get back to playing football again and potentially be the star of the team imo.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    If you're looking for a player with no ambition in the Irish setup then there's no better man than John O'Shea. Happy to spend his entire career as a fringe, utility player on the outskirts of the Man U team when he could have developed his talent elsewhere and possibly become the sort of player he can only dream about now.

At least he's getting a decent pay check sitting on the bench and he has a couple of league winners medals I suppose. Waster.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    If you're looking for a player with no ambition in the Irish setup then there's no better man than John O'Shea. Happy to spend his entire career as a fringe, utility player on the outskirts of the Man U team when he could have developed his talent elsewhere and possibly become the sort of player he can only dream about now.

At least he's getting a decent pay check sitting on the bench and he has a couple of league winners medals I suppose. Waster.
    Yeah I've thought this for ages. I'm sure most on the forum agree. He really could have been a fantastic talent. I guess he'd argue that Man Utd is a club where he could be part of a team competing for honours each season, but I wouldn't consider myself too pivotal in their success if I was getting 10 minutes at the end of a game when my team is already 3-0 up. He never even gets to play in his best position for them FFS. I still think he's probably good enough for our first eleven, but he really could have been so much better.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    I seem to recall Duff saying at the time he was fairly indifferent about moving to Chelsea but the money offered to Blackburn was too much to turn down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    wasn't he holding out for a deal from Man Utd?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurphyc View Post
    Yeah I've thought this for ages. I'm sure most on the forum agree. He really could have been a fantastic talent. I guess he'd argue that Man Utd is a club where he could be part of a team competing for honours each season, but I wouldn't consider myself too pivotal in their success if I was getting 10 minutes at the end of a game when my team is already 3-0 up. He never even gets to play in his best position for them FFS. I still think he's probably good enough for our first eleven, but he really could have been so much better.
    What position is this? I presume you mean centre back. It still remains to be seen if he's any good there.

He's a valuable member of their squad for his versatility. It's a squad game these days, anyone can see that. Especially at a "Big 4" club. Very few would leave Old Trafford voluntarily in fairness. I can't think of anyone off the top of my head who did in the last 20 years...Fergie gets rid of them by hook or by crook - those he wants to stay, stay. You're not going to have the chance to reach a Champions League final with Birmingham, Newcastle, Spurs or Everton.

Check out his appearance stats for this season, btw. A hell of a lot of them were starts too.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_de...playerid=18121
    Last edited by Nipper; 20/02/2008 at 2:58 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    same could be said about solskjaer..if he left he would never have scored in a champiopns league final.........
    Bring back the plank

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Looks like he has bulked up a bit too and I like the spiffy new mullet

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts

Ha ha, class. I won't even ask how you found it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
    same could be said about solskjaer..if he left he would never have scored in a champiopns league final.........
    solskjaer got way more of a game than o'shea though and he is/was a fans' favourite

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    McGeady tipped to trouble Barca:

Gary Caldwell claims Celtic team-mate Aiden McGeady's current form is on a par with any of Barcelona's superstars
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ic/7253647.stm

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    solskjaer got way more of a game than o'shea though and he is/was a fans' favourite
    I don't buy this fan's favourite nonsense. Players actually don't really care what the fans think. With the amount of abuse O'Shea gets off the United fans on messageboards etc, the fact that he's willing to stay and battle through it shows how insignificant fans opinions are.