Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LOI fixtures 14th/15th June

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Its is indeed fantastic to get that exposure. If only our Association rowed in behind the product.. though there is some satisfaction in getting some publicity irrespective of the contempt the FAI shows the league!
    Did the FAI account even retweet it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Have to correct you here because Rovers are in the top two....
    and that 8 or maybe 9 teams have the 4th highest budget!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Have to correct you here because Rovers are in the top two....
    That's what I said. the two clubs with the lowest budgets are the bottom two in the league and the two clubs with the highest budgets are the top 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    That's what I said. the two clubs with the lowest budgets are the bottom two in the league and the two clubs with the highest budgets are the top 2.
    This is an egalitarian League, EVERYONE has the 4th highest budget I read it on this forum so it must be true !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Making me feel old now.Memory playing tricks.Thought it was later than 74. Mitched off school to on a Wednesday afternoon, pre flood lights in Milltown.Could have sworn Johnny Fulham played the whole season for us in 74.Did Mick Leach not go to Waterford the year before.?
    Apart from the Grimes goal, my abiding memory of the day is that a few of us Bohs kids started celibrating upstairs on the bus back to town when a well known Rovers fan , and An Poblacht seller outside the GPO, came upstairs, gave us a murderous look, but then quiely said"fair enough" and went back downstairs, to our young relief.

As you say CJ, what goes around comes around.Enough years of grief and humiliation behind me to enjoy the brief bright spells.

I’m open to correction re the year - re the well known Rovers fan, harmless fella , he was in so many ‘fights’ *we ended up nicknaming him ‘braindead’, not sure is he still around but when we moved to Tallaght for a few seasons fans used to do a collection to pay for his season ticket which meant the world to him poor soul-

* on one occasion late 70s when Spurs were playing a pre-season friendly in Dayler , the Spurs fans had taken over the shed- Paddy and one of his mates armed with a golf club charged the shed to reclaim it- the Gardai then waded in and beat/arrested the troublemakers ( a few Spurs fans)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Sadly I had to suffer the pain of seeing both goals you refer to above- think the Grimes goal was 1974- that was the season Rovers dispensed with their whole squad aside from Johnny Fulham & Leech and replaced them with a squad of 18 year olds (including Alan O’Neill) . The first game finished 1-1 (Leech) but then we were hammered 4-0 in the replay, Grimes did score a cracker but it wasn’t as good as last Friday’s goal - and I was just as angry then as I was last Friday- the big difference being in 1974 we were the underdogs - but the one constant is that over time each of us will have periods of dominance in derbies so enjoy your current moment in the sun - and when we next best you it will be our turn to brag.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    I’m open to correction re the year - re the well known Rovers fan, harmless fella , he was in so many ‘fights’ *we ended up nicknaming him ‘braindead’, not sure is he still around but when we moved to Tallaght for a few seasons fans used to do a collection to pay for his season ticket which meant the world to him poor soul-

* on one occasion late 70s when Spurs were playing a pre-season friendly in Dayler , the Spurs fans had taken over the shed- Paddy and one of his mates armed with a golf club charged the shed to reclaim it- the Gardai then waded in and beat/arrested the troublemakers ( a few Spurs fans)
    Spurs v Bohs, Ardiles and Ricky Villa made their debut believe it or not.
    Paddy was that man alright.!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    This is an egalitarian League, EVERYONE has the 4th highest budget I read it on this forum so it must be true !
    It's a hotly contested title alright. I think we held it at one stage
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    It's a hotly contested title alright. I think we held it at one stage
    I think EVERYONE held it. At the same time 😉

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    Sbgawa will be along shortly to educate you, sit tight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Spurs v Bohs, Ardiles and Ricky Villa made their debut believe it or not.
    Paddy was that man alright.!
    This is a potential thread in itself. While not so illustrious as Ardiles or Villa and I say that considering the chap has Champions League medals Steve McManaman made his debut in a friendly against Dundalk. When the announcer called the substitution many of the well schooled Liverpool fans in the vicinity scoffed and laughed thinking it was Steve McMahon that was meant and it was a Dundalkism or an eccentric PA announcer mumbling the name. The majority of the crowd where I was behind the Carrick Goal seemed to be from North so whether that had anything to do with the confusion I dunno. What I do remember was the crush and kids, I was 12/13, being helped over the perimeter fence to the touchline for safety, that was '91 I think so considering the recent history of Liverpool then it was a bit ropey. I vaguely remember the attendance being given as 12k and it really wasnt a 'safe holding capacity' if that was accurate! Apart from ticket sales there was definitely cash being taken at the turnstiles so 12k was certainly possible and maybe more there. It still baffles me on how 18k or so were rammed in to essentially the same ground as today for the EC Cup game v Celtic and UEFA Cup game v Spurs not so long after.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Making me feel old now.Memory playing tricks.Thought it was later than 74. Mitched off school to on a Wednesday afternoon, pre flood lights in Milltown.Could have sworn Johnny Fulham played the whole season for us in 74.Did Mick Leach not go to Waterford the year before.?
    Apart from the Grimes goal, my abiding memory of the day is that a few of us Bohs kids started celibrating upstairs on the bus back to town when a well known Rovers fan , and An Poblacht seller outside the GPO, came upstairs, gave us a murderous look, but then quiely said"fair enough" and went back downstairs, to our young relief.

As you say CJ, what goes around comes around.Enough years of grief and humiliation behind me to enjoy the brief bright spells.
    The Chap in question is alive and well i meet up with him every now again at a mens shed type morning. He does not go to Tallaght as much but any time i meet him its all about Rovers

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345