14 Posts
    Lol and the ruskies buy it

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Putin.

Now we know why Putin didnt bother going,he knew it was in the bag for them.Surprised they got it to be honest.
    When is the 2022 decision being announced?I really hope Aus gets it but i bet the U.S does.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    And Qatar for the 2022 World Cup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Its the New World Order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Qatar really is a joke. Surely you should have had to at least qualified for the tournament before to get it.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

6. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Qatar really is a joke. Surely you should have had to at least qualified for the tournament before to get it.
    I agree, when you look at countries like Slovenia, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Northern Ireland, UAE, Kuwait, Honduras, Iraq, Wales, El Salvador (twice), New Zealand (twice), Israel, Haiti, Costa Rica, Bolivia, Peru, Morocco, Senegal, Angola, Togo, China, Canada, India, Zaire/CongoDR, Cuba* and Dutch East Indies / Indonesia* - it's not impossible to make it to a World Cup. Qatar having a free pass through qualification means teams with more pedigree from Asia (Korea, Japan, Australia, Iran, etc) will miss out...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    No they won't because the Qatar place will be on top of he Asia places, just like South Africa was the first time Africa had 6 participants
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    It's looks like England have it in the bag.

Badminding??

Sceptical about both choices, but their media would have made a successful 'Ingerland' bid unbearable.
    Props to Qatar though. Just the heat factor to be overcome!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Feel a bit sorry for England. In the current age of tight public finances it'd have made sense for a country that needed minimal infrastructure investment to have been awarded it. It's staggering that they got only one vote other than their own. I don't think England is popular in international governance circles and the EPL in particular has many enemies. Part (most) of me thinks that FIFA just goes for who it fancies most, regardless of merit. November 2009 and all its ancillary issues proved that.

That said however, I was amazed the other day to find out that the Russian top flight only attracts c.£60 million in TV money. The EPL, with c.50% of Russia's population (let's call the EPL the UK league) earns about £2 billion annually. You can see how FIFA views a huge untapped market in Russia, and also in the middle-east.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    No they won't because the Qatar place will be on top of he Asia places, just like South Africa was the first time Africa had 6 participants
    So then it just means a better country from another federation will miss out...

Qatar will not only be the first country to host that has never qualified/attended a world cup before*, but it could also be the first host to exit on 0 points.

*actually I dont know if the Swiss at one prior to hosting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    What has past qualification got to do with being a capable host ? Lets bid the next one Between Northern Ireland , Zaire and Costa Rica. You'd get an interesting bid process then.

I'm a little delighted England didn't win after seeing the bile coming from them today. Talk about a bunch of sore losers. All sorts of tripe questioning the process, and Graham Taylor saying " nothing surprises me anymore with FIFA ?? " ?? wtf ?? Arrogance is putting it mildly.

I'm glad Russia got it - Eastern Europe has never hosted a World cup and it was simply thier turn. Similarly with Qutar, although I thought Australia would have been the correct choice for 2022.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Let's be clear: there should be no issue about Russia having 2018 at all. Massive nation with football as it's most popular sport, It spans two continents and will be the first former eastern bloc nation to host the WC. Plus they still have the communist chip on their shoulders which means they WILL make it a huge event and throw as much money as necessary at it.

Qatar has nothing except money. No tradition, no mass support, not even natural facilities to play the sport. Looking at the proposal, 6 stadiums in Doha & 6 in the rest of the country FIFA's rule of only 1 city can have 2 stadiums seems to have been shelved for some strange reason.....
    Still South Africa must be delighted with the shiney new stadiums in Polokwane & Rustenberg built because of the FIFA rules....

Frankly I'm happy Russia got it over England, but it was naive in the extreme to think that England were anywhere close. The arguments of Engerland & US of A that they are all ready to go were immaterial, FIFA don't spend a bean on the stadiums anyway so they don't care who builds them as long as they're ready when they turn up in June 2018/2022. In fact quite the opposite is often the case they will argue that the improvements in infrastructure that will take place in Russia justify the choice, as was the case here in SA. For all the expense and over spends that happened, it can't be argued that the infrastructure here has benefited greatly from the investment.

I fail to see how Qatar was even in the running, unless there are other forces at work....... Australia was the logical choice but I think China are the target nation for 2026 which affected the chances of Japan/Korea and possibly Australia.

That said I picked them both out long before the announcement, FIFA like co-operative governments and both Russia & Qatar can provide very co-operative governments.

Edmundo - The USA were hardly world beaters when they hosted it, same for Japan/Korea & same with South Africa, it's not something I have a problem with.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

16. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Edmundo - The USA were hardly world beaters when they hosted it, same for Japan/Korea & same with South Africa, it's not something I have a problem with.
    The USA still had a degree of pedigree, having been at prior World Cups and even having finished 3rd in a World Cup. Additionally they had won the regional championship (CONCACAF Gold Cup) in 1991 and were runners up in 89 and 93.

Japan qualified for France 98 and additionally had won the Asian Cup in 1992 (and again in 2000), Korea had qualified for World Cups in the 54, then 86, 90, 94, 98and had won the Asian cup twice and been runners up 3 times.

Prior to this years World cup South Africa had qualified for two (98, 02) of a possible four World Cups (others 94, 06) and had won the African Nations Cup in 96, been runners up in 98 and third in 2000.

All these countries were far, far better than Qatar in terms of footballing ability.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Qatar will not only be the first country to host that has never qualified/attended a world cup before*, but it could also be the first host to exit on 0 points.

*actually I dont know if the Swiss at one prior to hosting it.
    Uruguay in 1930 and Italy in 1934 too.

Switzerland played in the 1934 World Cup. Technically - and arguably vaguely relevantly - Japan had never qualified for a World Cup when they were given the 2002 competition (they were given hosting rights in May 1996 and qualified for the 98 tournament in late 97). Others will know more obviously, but I think it's been both good and bad for the game since then - good because of the exposure to what was still a developing league, and bad because they're stuck now with massive expensive-to-maintain grounds that they rarely come close to filling.

What odds on Qatar selling a load of passports to half-decent players who can't get a game for another country?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The bile being spewed from the english is actually quite pathetic. Last night the less than respected Rod Liddle said he wasn't disappointed England didn't get it, that he thought Russia were closer to the win, and then went off on a tangent to slag off Russia as being autocratic and that all such bids are being won by countries who didn't respect freedom and democracy. Phil Mitchell chimed in from Spain, which was a surprise, that he was in Russia in 2006 and felt very unsafe on the Moscow metro and that it was a dangerous city and that Spanish clubs hated coming here because of poor hotels, facilities and dangers, and that few Spanish fans would be here for it. Oddly the Chelsea fans who were over 2 years ago, along with c. 1,000 Sevilla fans and three times that number of AC Milan fans, thought the city was pretty cool, not to mention cheap and accessible. It's depressing to listen to Sky at the moment, and as for the print media - in the words of the immortal hypocrite - "get over it".

I think there are issues that are more to the point, stadiums that will not be filled after the World Cup to even 25% capacity (on a good day), a poor spread of venues (none in Asian Russia) and a danger that if Putin falls, the house of cards does too. Still, for anyone who's been to Russia it will be a pleasant return, and while I'd not recommend Mordovia, it's going to be a real festival.

Qatar.....was last there for a day and a half in 2002, a little island of sand with oil under it, and a cracking sports academy and infrastructure. Don't see there being too much problem with the heat, games can be played at late evening, but the difficulty is going to be venues, and what happens after.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Let's be clear: there should be no issue about Russia having 2018 at all. Massive nation with football as it's most popular sport, It spans two continents and will be the first former eastern bloc nation to host the WC. Plus they still have the communist chip on their shoulders which means they WILL make it a huge event and throw as much money as necessary at it.

Qatar has nothing except money. No tradition, no mass support, not even natural facilities to play the sport. Looking at the proposal, 6 stadiums in Doha & 6 in the rest of the country FIFA's rule of only 1 city can have 2 stadiums seems to have been shelved for some strange reason.....
    Still South Africa must be delighted with the shiney new stadiums in Polokwane & Rustenberg built because of the FIFA rules....

Frankly I'm happy Russia got it over England, but it was naive in the extreme to think that England were anywhere close. The arguments of Engerland & US of A that they are all ready to go were immaterial, FIFA don't spend a bean on the stadiums anyway so they don't care who builds them as long as they're ready when they turn up in June 2018/2022. In fact quite the opposite is often the case they will argue that the improvements in infrastructure that will take place in Russia justify the choice, as was the case here in SA. For all the expense and over spends that happened, it can't be argued that the infrastructure here has benefited greatly from the investment.

I fail to see how Qatar was even in the running, unless there are other forces at work....... Australia was the logical choice but I think China are the target nation for 2026 which affected the chances of Japan/Korea and possibly Australia.

That said I picked them both out long before the announcement, FIFA like co-operative governments and both Russia & Qatar can provide very co-operative governments.

Think you answered your own question there Enda, absolute joke that Qatar have been given it. Good article in today's Irish Times/Guardian (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...4682355.html):

For football fans and supporters of cultural and political pluralism the questions also now start. Items high on this agenda are just how enjoyable and expensive the fan experience will be during a month in Qatar’s blistering heat, where the drinking of alcohol in public is a criminal offence. And how a strict Muslim state will negotiate western mores – homosexual behaviour is illegal there, as is kissing in public – and the welcome it will afford Israel, should they qualify. Israel’s citizens, along with most gulf states, are banned from Qatar.

Fifa’s technical report noted: “The fact that the competition is planned in June/July, the two hottest months of the year in this region, has to be considered as a potential health risk for players, officials, the Fifa family and spectators, and requires precautions to be taken.”

Can only hope the fact that it will now be 10 years or so before they vote again means someone will have the balls to stand up and expose FIFA for the corrupt, hypocritical organisation it is.
    Last edited by eaststand85; 03/12/2010 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Additional comment

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Qatar.....Don't see there being too much problem with the heat, games can be played at late evening, but the difficulty is going to be venues, and what happens after.
    I think the issue with the heat is the fans during the tournament, not necessarily the games. The grounds will be air-conditioned, which is fair enough (and impressive), but you then have to turn 45,000 fans out into 45 degree heat, to join another load of fans in the Fan Zones, many of whom won't be used to that heat and will probably be trying to get drunk.

The Qatari plan with the grounds I think is to take the top halves off and effectively donate them to other clubs as new grounds? Leave half the capacity for the Qatari league teams.

The Russia/security problems sound very similar to the same points raised about South Africa, which passed off fine. In part, of course, because if anything major happened at the World Cup, that'd be SA tourism dead, so they clamped right down on anything. Same will happen in Russia I'd say.

23. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    My preference is for Spain / Portugal and USA (selfish reasons for the latter). My feeling is it will probably be Russia for Europe's WC. 2022 is absolutely up in the air I think. Qatar possibly to shade it (pun intended), but it may be moved elsewhere by 2018...
    Good call!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think the issue with the heat is the fans during the tournament, not necessarily the games. The grounds will be air-conditioned, which is fair enough (and impressive), but you then have to turn 45,000 fans out into 45 degree heat, to join another load of fans in the Fan Zones, many of whom won't be used to that heat and will probably be trying to get drunk.

The Qatari plan with the grounds I think is to take the top halves off and effectively donate them to other clubs as new grounds? Leave half the capacity for the Qatari league teams.

The Russia/security problems sound very similar to the same points raised about South Africa, which passed off fine. In part, of course, because if anything major happened at the World Cup, that'd be SA tourism dead, so they clamped right down on anything. Same will happen in Russia I'd say.
    Sounds interesting with the Qatari plan, I read the bid assessments for 2018 but not the Qatar one. There are enough sour grapes being produced by the English media that I'm sure their vinegar manufacturers are thrilled! There will be incidents in Russia of robbery, or even some mild assault, but overall it'll be the same as any other tournament. Anyone I know who was in South Africa this summer thought it went off great and enjoyed themselves, though the whole "FIFA ltd" experience might leave you cold, it ruined Germany for me anyway.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast