Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Chris Hughton(B. 1958)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Red Giant View Post
    Hughton works with what he has available - if you don't have the players you can't play attacking football.

When Brighton were in the Championship Hughton had them playing an attacking passing-orientated game. When they got into the PL playing like that would have brought a 6-0 hammering every week.

Hughton did a remarkable job keeping Brighton in the PL for two seasons - particularly given the fact that he didn't have control over transfers - something that is underappreciated by fans who think their club should be constantly progressing. Hughton is a very under-rated manager. Next season Potter will be manager and if he attempts to do what he did with Swansea this season, Brighton will be relegated by Christmas. The step up from the Championship to the PL is massive - particularly when you don't have a striker capable of 15 goals a season (or two capable of getting 25 between them).

As for Hughton going to Celtic - he would be an excellent choice for them - but I think his attitude will be that he still has something to prove in the PL. He will probably have to drop to the Championship again (possibly WBA) and get promoted. If he is given 4-5 years at a club in the PL he will prove how good he is. The again he is 60 years old and he may relish the prospect of managing a club playing in Europe before he is finished.
    That's fair. I'll bow to your superior knowledge as to the type of football Brighton played in the Championship, I honestly don't know. I always have it in the back of my mind the way he ended up treating (omitting) Wes Hoolahan, as a toothless Norwich plummeted towards the relegation zone. Obviously I'm biased, but it was counter productive in the extreme given their lack of creativity.

I'm not as sure that he'd be an excellent choice for Celtic but would love to see him do well there if he did get it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    If he did get the Celtic job then perhaps he could play a more attacking style of football . He could possibly get away with trying that there , where it is very risky at a club like Brighton trying to stay in the top division in England .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    That's fair. I'll bow to your superior knowledge as to the type of football Brighton played in the Championship, I honestly don't know. I always have it in the back of my mind the way he ended up treating (omitting) Wes Hoolahan, as a toothless Norwich plummeted towards the relegation zone. Obviously I'm biased, but it was counter productive in the extreme given their lack of creativity.

I'm not as sure that he'd be an excellent choice for Celtic but would love to see him do well there if he did get it.
    13 wins - 6 draws - 1 defeat in the last 20 games of 2015-2106 - including beating Bristol City, Leeds and QPR 4-0 and Fulham 5-0. His teams scored 72 goals and had 17 different goalscorers.

In 2016-2017 - after the beginning of October Brighton were in the top two for the rest of the season - scoring 74 goals and had four players score more than 12 goals each (Murray got 25).

You can go back further - when he was manager of Newcastle in 2010-2011 his team played free flowing attacking football - beating Villa 6-0, Sunderland 5-1 and being involved in many high scoring games (including several they lost). Hughton knew they were not going to be relegated and with players at his disposal he let them off the leash. He was sacked by Ashley because Ashley wanted a 'bigger name' and then he gave the job to Alan bloody Pardew - probably the most over-rated English manager of the last 20 years.

At both Norwich and Brighton he had little to work with. I loved Wes Hoolahan but Hughton couldn't afford to commit to attack - that Norwich team would have been ripped apart. Man City beat them 7-0, Liverpool 5-1 - they had to grind out results just like at Brighton this season. Brighton had the third lowest wage bill in the PL - he got them to one place higher. Southampton finished one spot above Brighton and paid their players more than double the wages - Southampton had 14 players paid more than the highest paid player at Brighton. On top of that - his two best attacking players were injured for most of the season. The guy did a remarkable job for Brighton - and it must be really frustrating for him that he keeps teams going and ends up getting the sack anyway. It takes years to build up a squad capable of sustained play in the PL because of the massive money gap between PL and Championship.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts

The very questionable patch with Hughton in his whole managerial career was with Norwich in their relegation year, but that does not define the man, he's more than proved he's a very capable manager since. I'd be curious to see how he would do at Celtic with a team that's expected to dominate/attack all the time, and how he would deal with the challenge to get in to the CL group stages.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I have no doubt Hughton would be a good fit for Celtic. He’s proven he can play attacking football against inferior opposition but compete with a lesser side against big teams.

Celtic is in that strange situation where they are expected to dominate domestically and play as underdogs on the continent — Hughton has the experience and the skillset to get the best of his team in both competitions.

The only question is if he sees the Scottish league as beneath him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I have no doubt Hughton would be a good fit for Celtic. He’s proven he can play attacking football against inferior opposition but compete with a lesser side against big teams.

Celtic is in that strange situation where they are expected to dominate domestically and play as underdogs on the continent — Hughton has the experience and the skillset to get the best of his team in both competitions.

Careful now . Skirting close to being racist against the Scots there . I am not sure if , in these political correct days whether I am being serious or not .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The very questionable patch with Hughton in his whole managerial career was with Norwich in their relegation year, but that does not define the man, he's more than proved he's a very capable manager since. I'd be curious to see how he would do at Celtic with a team that's expected to dominate/attack all the time, and how he would deal with the challenge to get in to the CL group stages.
    There's nobody doubting that, both before and since I would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I loved Wes Hoolahan but Hughton couldn't afford to commit to attack - that Norwich team would have been ripped apart. Man City beat them 7-0, Liverpool 5-1 - they had to grind out results just like at Brighton this season.
    Interesting stats on Brighton and their Championship form. I didn't realise they were quite that prolific.

I still disagree on Hoolahan. He played most of the previous season when they finished 11th, and he was outstanding. I remember looking at the the stats at the time and they didn't concede any more goals with Hoolahan starting than without, but created far less. Hoolahan didn't leave the bench for that 7-0 Manchester City match you mention, for example, so it's not as if leaving him out made them any more solid. Hughton remained stubborn until the end though despite Norwich getting worse and worse.

I do agree that a manager needs time to build a Premier League team, but I couldn't help feeling Brighton had began to plummet under him. I can see why action was taken. They'd have probably been relegated but for the farcical decisions that went against Cardiff in that match against Chelsea a few weeks back, granted these things allegedly 'balance out' over a season. We'll never know if he'd have got them moving in the right direction again next season, maybe he would have.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 24/05/2019 at 1:38 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post

There's the redemption factor
    Then there's the legendary factor, in two years time he would be the Celtic manager left standing to hold aloft the 10 in a row spl trophy and about to complete the quintuple treble.
    Would that not get him seated at the right hand of Jock Stein?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    There's the redemption factor
    Then there's the legendary factor, in two years time he would be the Celtic manager left standing to hold aloft the 10 in a row spl trophy and about to complete the quintuple treble.
    Would that not get him seated at the right hand of Jock Stein?
    On the flipside, being the guy who blows the ten in a row would get him seated alongside John Barnes and Tony Mowbray in Celtic folklore. Even Ronny Deila succeeded in keeping the run going.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 24/05/2019 at 1:38 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    On the flipside, being the guy who blows the ten in a row would get him seated alongside John Barnes and Tony Mowbray in Celtic folklore. Even Ronny Deila succeeded in keeping the run going.
    Yes but are you not claiming that the flipside of Chris Hughton, who is an epitome of confidence, positivity and football coach supremo, are the voices in your head and john Barnes?
    That's a bit of a stretch DL

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I still disagree on Hoolahan. He played most of the previous season when they finished 11th, and he was outstanding. I remember looking at the the stats at the time and they didn't concede any more goals with Hoolahan starting than without, but created far less. Hoolahan didn't leave the bench for that 7-0 Manchester City match you mention, for example, so it's not as if leaving him out made them any more solid. Hughton remained stubborn until the end though despite Norwich getting worse and worse.
    Hughton knew he needed to grind out results - now I agree that he should have place Hoolahan, but I can understand why he didn't and stats don't tell everything.

When Hughton was sacked Norwich were five points above the relegation zone - in the 8 games before he was sacked they had 2 wins and 2 draws. The Norwich board panicked because the fans were getting on the backs of the team and demanding Hughton be sacked. I still think Hughton would have kept Norwich up - but we will never know that one.

I do agree that a manager needs time to build a Premier League team, but I couldn't help feeling Brighton had began to plummet under him. I can see why action was taken. They'd have probably been relegated but for the farcical decisions that went against Cardiff in that match against Chelsea a few weeks back, granted these things allegedly 'balance out' over a season. We'll never know if he'd have got them moving in the right direction again next season, maybe he would have.
    Gross and Locadia were injured - his two best attacking options on the pitch - Andone acted like a primadonna every time he was put on the pitch - the guy wouldn't track back. Brighton needed pace - but the brain trust in the Brighton transfer dept decided not to buy pace last season.

Hughton could have taken them forward - Bissouma would have been a year older and had a years experience of the PL under his belt (he was playing well at the end of the season) and Jahanbaksh has had a year to adjust and might come good. If Brighton buy a couple of midfielders with pace and a striker who can score 15 goals then Brighton would be in a much better place. Hughton had built a solid defence and his Brighton were very hard to beat. Man City struggled to beat them 1-0 in the cup semi-final and then went out and hammered 6 past Watford.

Potter coaches a different type of game - there are already rumours that he wants to dump Duffy because he doesn't pass the ball out from the back - Duffy was Brighton's best player last season. Now Potter might turn out to be good (but you don't get rid of an experienced manager who has never been relegated to back an unknown quantity whose reputation has been significantly overhyped). IMO unless Brighton spend about £100million bringing in 3-4 players and scrap their wage cap to get players good enough - they will struggle far worse that they did this season. The problem is their owner Bloom makes his money from gambling and he uses analytics - he is all about not overspending for players - but the PL is the one place you have to significantly overspend in order to survive.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Potter coaches a different type of game - there are already rumours that he wants to dump Duffy because he doesn't pass the ball out from the back - Duffy was Brighton's best player last season. Now Potter might turn out to be good (but you don't get rid of an experienced manager who has never been relegated to back an unknown quantity whose reputation has been significantly overhyped).
    Good post overall JRG.

However, Duffy fulfils a very specific role in a very specific type of team. In many ways, his way of playing is from 20 years ago. Most coaches in the Premiership nowadays expect their centre backs to be able to receive the ball and find a pass. Duffy simply cannot and does not do that. While he is a threat in the opposition box and a bullish, strong defender in his own, he also gives the ball away far more than most which, from my perspective, would have created a lot of the pressure that B&HA found themselves under during games. The question is whether the benefits outweight the risks. If Potter wants a ball player there then you have to say fair enough and, to your point, let him live and die by his decisions.

Personally, I wouldn't have Duffy anywhere near the Irish team if I was manager for the reasons outlined above. He gets a pass from many due to his commitment and passion but he just turns the ball over way too much for my liking. Its a nonstop hoof-fest when he is on the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Good post overall JRG.

However, Duffy fulfils a very specific role in a very specific type of team. In many ways, his way of playing is from 20 years ago. Most coaches in the Premiership nowadays expect their centre backs to be able to receive the ball and find a pass. Duffy simply cannot and does not do that. While he is a threat in the opposition box and a bullish, strong defender in his own, he also gives the ball away far more than most which, from my perspective, would have created a lot of the pressure that B&HA found themselves under during games. The question is whether the benefits outweight the risks. If Potter wants a ball player there then you have to say fair enough and, to your point, let him live and die by his decisions.

Personally, I wouldn't have Duffy anywhere near the Irish team if I was manager for the reasons outlined above. He gets a pass from many due to his commitment and passion but he just turns the ball over way too much for my liking. Its a nonstop hoof-fest when he is on the pitch.
    Pun not intended

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Is appointed the new Nots Forrest manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    483 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    That's a great move by them. With Villa, Leeds and Newcastle all doing well the Premier League could finally be getting it's big clubs back
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Oh good, another club he can take up to The Premier League, only for them to sack him because they don't qualify for Europe. Any chance of him ever becoming Ireland manager?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    On merit, reasonable to suggest he’s more qualified than Kenny. If memory serves he was still in Brighton job during application process and ruled himself out as he was happy where he was. If in a non-Prem job when the position is next available I’d suggest he’d put his name forward and would be a frontrunner.

He doesn’t always play the most attractive football but has a good resume/track record IMO.

Would probably play a similar style to O’Neill, who depending on who you listen to was our best manager since Jack Charlton or an abject failure ! (Love this sport!)

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Have Forrest flipped from being promotion contenders, to having a dose of a jitters and then to a basket case club inside 10 games? I read that young Chris is now 61 years old.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Have Forrest flipped from being promotion contenders, to having a dose of a jitters and then to a basket case club inside 10 games? I read that young Chris is now 61 years old.
    Its not Forest's fault that Chris is 61 Years Old ~ ~ Maybe everything else is !

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast