Thread: Fixtures 28th/29th/1st

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Great win for harps, looking bad for ucd now
    We had 4 subs tonight. The outfield players had 3 minutes' experience between them. We had another starter making his debut. Harps winning doesn't affect us at this stage.

You'd imagine the First Division side will be favourites for the play-off this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    This is Trevor Clarke, he's 100% getting to that ball after that touch and he has to take the heavier touch because Rodgers has absolutely no intention of playing that ball, he of the mind that if he gets it great but all he's thinking is stop Clarke. Even Supple was struggling for reasons to justify the decision and a Rovers player nearly has to be shot for him to think its a red.

There was no Massey earlier on incident, unless you're talking about when he fouled Pico. Gannons cross was from about a yard away and Kavanaghs arms weren't out, they're being given by VAR but they're not penalties those.
    It turned out to be a frustrating night for Rovers and I understand your irritation! The discussion on whether a red was shown to Rogers or not was always going to be the big discussion point. It's all going to be clichéd comment - seen them given etc. But imo Harvey went with the letter of the law and Clarke was heading away from goal. If a red card had been shown I think Dundalk fans would have accepted it but with some grumbles on the player losing control of the ball, was heading away from goal and that defenders may have gotten etc back so not a 'stonewall' decision.
    The peno shout I also felt that the arm/hand was away from the body and there didnt seem to be an effort to not block the cross it. If VAR was available it would have likely have been given. So logically if they are given by VAR they are penalties even if daft (similar to keepers keeping a foot on the line), the rule probably needs to change especially if there was VAR scrutiny but currently if VAR would give it then it should have been a penalty. Again seen them given but wasnt hopping mad 'cause it wasnt. Its likely that Dundalk's penalty count and maybe even Bradleys comments during the week worked against us and the ref wasnt going to give a penalty that wasnt 'stonewall'....was it at the box or in the box though, thats the big talking point...

By the time of the Rogers incident Rovers should have been out of sight and it should not be seen as the game defining moment that many Rovers fans will feel it was. There were a number of clear cut chances to win the game for Rovers both halves. Dundalk should have done better with the couple of breaks that had both Duffy and Hoban a good pass from putting either through on goal also.

Bradly was very magnaninous in defeat in his post match interview and rightly focused on how well Rovers played rather than questioning refs decisions. A quality striker and Rovers are a complete side. In saying that Hoban did very little really tonight though i think that he'd have finished one of the chances Greene had.

The league is far from done and if Rovers play like that for the remainder of the season they wont be far off in the league and should be hopefull of a good cup run. Europe will impact on teams' season so while 8 points is a nice lead to have its not game over. If the situation arises where games in hand happen there will be a lot of pressure to make them count so anything can happen yet.

Were Derry very good or Cork very poor tonight. O'Connor being suspended now wont help things but for as poor as Cork have been this season they are above Waterford!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    How Rob Harvey is going to justify not giving a red card to the referee board I have absolutely no idea, absolutely stone wall red card. Other highlights of his include allowing Shields to sprint (he was actually out of breath after doing it for context) 30 yards to tell him to give a card and allowing whoban and Kelly away with murder up front.
    Yellow the correct decision, Clarke never going to get to the ball after heavy touch. Any opinion on the second stonewall peno Dundalk haven't got at Tallaght this season or are the rose tinted glasses glued on tonight?

The fact you have the cheek to talk about Shields when you've Bolger in your team is laughable. You'll feel better in the morning, log off for the night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Cork?
    that would be an ecumenical matter

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    But imo Harvey went with the letter of the law and Clarke was heading away from goal. If a red card had been shown I think Dundalk fans would have accepted it but with some grumbles on the player losing control of the ball, was heading away from goal and that defenders may have gotten etc back so not a 'stonewall' decision.
    The laws don't talk about away from goal though, the talk about clear goal scoring opportunities and Trevor Clarke at full tilt is getting that ball at the latest at the corner of the box with nobody anywhere near him or the goal, that's about as clear a goalscoring opportunity as you can get.

Kicking the ball ahead also isn't the same as losing control of it, like Bales famous goal vs Barcelona it's just using your pace to your advantage, keeping the ball on your toe isn't always the best option, especially when you're by fra the fastest player on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Yellow the correct decision, Clarke never going to get to the ball after heavy touch. Any opinion on the second stonewall peno Dundalk haven't got at Tallaght this season or are the rose tinted glasses glued on tonight?

The fact you have the cheek to talk about Shields when you've Bolger in your team is laughable. You'll feel better in the morning, log off for the night.
    Have you ever seen Clarke run? You must have been smoking some of that funny stuff the lads in the shed have if you don't think he's getting that ball.

You seriously trying to suggest Shields doesn't ref the game? Even the most one eyed of Dundalk fan will admit he does.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post

ah lads it was a red card all day long, some shocking decisions against us this season but ultimately its our inability to convert. Our starting striker checking his run to see if he was offside from a dundalk back pass to the keeper thats what the striker we are playing week in week out. Great game a very good advertisement for the League finishing within 10 points and 2nd still on. A proven goalscorer that clicks and i recekon we will be ready to challenge, everything else is in place

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    The laws don't talk about away from goal though, the talk about clear goal scoring opportunities and Trevor Clarke at full tilt is getting that ball at the latest at the corner of the box with nobody anywhere near him or the goal, that's about as clear a goalscoring opportunity as you can get.

Kicking the ball ahead also isn't the same as losing control of it, like Bales famous goal vs Barcelona it's just using your pace to your advantage, keeping the ball on your toe isn't always the best option, especially when you're by fra the fastest player on the pitch.

Have you ever seen Clarke run? You must have been smoking some of that funny stuff the lads in the shed have if you don't think he's getting that ball.

You seriously trying to suggest Shields doesn't ref the game? Even the most one eyed of Dundalk fan will admit he does.
    I've seen the replay, he's not getting to it and even if he did he's at the sideline with cover already across.

You have Bolger in your team stop embarrassing yourself

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Were Derry very good or Cork very poor tonight. O'Connor being suspended now wont help things but for as poor as Cork have been this season they are above Waterford!!
    That was the worst home performance in recent memory from us. Absolutely clueless. Fans let the players know how they felt at full time. I just walked out, I normally stay until they go down the tunnel. In truth, I should've left after 30 minutes. Yeah we are above Waterford but they have 3 games in hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    To be fair most in here including shams questioned the lack of a striker before the season started. Bad recruitment for a club with a big (by LOI standards) budget and it has stymied any real title challenge.

Meanwhile Long/Crolly over achieve with another win tonight in Waterford, sets up a cracker V Derry in Monday night. Loving this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Genuinely don't like being a misery merchant but this is right up there with the least I've ever enjoyed a season despite us having many where we've been a worse side than this year. Our squad is too good for it to be as...meh as it has been so far.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Genuinely don't like being a misery merchant but this is right up there with the least I've ever enjoyed a season despite us having many where we've been a worse side than this year. Our squad is too good for it to be as...meh as it has been so far.
    Delighted it’s not just me !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Don't think I've ever seen a decision before like the one in tonights game in Finn Park.

Raf Cretaro smashed a ball from 40 yards, keeper spilled it, clearly caught it about two yards over the line and brought it out into play again.

Ref couldn't give the goal because the linesman fell over trying to get back into position....

It was truly one of the most mind boggling things I've ever seen at a football match.

Alongside the mascot getting told to clear off from behind the back of the goal by the referee and not coming back out for the second half, it made for two strange moments in Finn Park.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack B View Post
    Join the club. Don’t even look forward to games anymore.

15. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Join the club. Don’t even look forward to games anymore.
    Just as well that you don't care,Agent Harry will be throwing another 3 points Rovers way on Monday.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Would you ever shut the **** up about the ****ing "overcrowding".
    You realise I was talking about the match last March when I said "Rovers have form here, having previously shown a scant regard for crowd safety issues for the last league meeting in Tallaght."?

I understand it might be a touchy subject for you, but it hardly warrants the aggressive expletive-deleted reaction from you

The away end was sold out, it was on Rovers twitter that there'd be no tickets, surprised you missed it, you must have missed that notification coming through. The away end was sold out but there were empty seats, why? Because your own fans decided to overcrowd one section so shut the **** up.
    Posting a notification on Rovers twitter in late afternoon is hardly the best way to distribute a sold out message to away fans.

There was any amount of seats available in the East Stand including loads of vacant sections. It was obviously a conscious decision made to limit the number of visiting fans, despite the available capacity. An obvious potential consequence of this approach is to end up with visiting fans in the home sections

It seems nonsensical and petty to me, but not entirely unexpected given previous form

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    For me the Rogers foul is a sending off but my quick fire prayer to St.Jude worked and all he got was a yella
    Dundalk were absolute thrash in the 1st half,Shams couldn't capitalise on how poor we were.Once Dundalk got out of that half unscathed i kinda thought well fuq,we might actually win this game.Was surprised VP didn't haul an ineffective Murray off at the break but aT least we started to put some passes together 2nd half and got Rovers on somewhat of a back foot.
    Dundalk players were giving out to each other over sloopy passes and bad play.Gartland was furious with his co back four on a number of occasions and let them know,Gannon berated Duffy(?) for a heavy touch when he(Gannon) thought he had a clear sight on goal in the 1st half.That's a good sign imo.That's how good sides operate.
    Dundalk looked rusty after 3 weks without a competitive match but still had that wee bit of guile to get an amazing result.
    Sean Gannon is simply sublime,improves y-o-y,the best in the business.
    A draw would have been a fair result i think but Gannon...........

Great craic and brilliant atmosphere at the match & deffo one to remember for us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Best team on the night lost but that's the way it go's. Credit to dundalk champions again.
    Fai cup and Europe still to play for and find a hat stand for next season.
    Rovers were certainly the better team in the first half, but not so obviously so in the second half

In any event Rovers came nowhere near doing enough to win the match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Rovers were certainly the better team in the first half, but not so obviously so in the second half

In any event Rovers came nowhere near doing enough to win the match.
    Nowhere near? Hitting the crossbar, Greene shinning a ball wide from 4 ot 5 yards, the arguable Clarke through bar Roger's intervention, some last ditch scrambles. They did plenty to win the game bar put the ball in the net which of course is all that matters! It was a super result by us considering the below par performance. Soul destroying for Rovers and hopefully seriously erodes confidence!

Pace or not RH defenders were flocking back to cover Rogers sweeper keeper moment, it wasnt a nailed on red card. Thing is though is that Rovers spurned clear cut chances, if playing 11 v 10 Rovers I dont think much would have changed. Soaking up pressure then hit on the break, we probably would have sat in and been more difficult to break down. The goal was superbly taken by Gannon - McEleney likes creating chances in that very same area of the box in Tallaght ala the BATE match.

Pats wn tonight but fans still hugely negative? Better off than the last couple of seasons if not the fancy football of a Buckley side!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Nowhere near? Hitting the crossbar, Greene shinning a ball wide from 4 ot 5 yards, the arguable Clarke through bar Roger's intervention, some last ditch scrambles. They did plenty to win the game bar put the ball in the net which of course is all that matters!
    For Rovers to win, they had to score at least two of those chances - I think their inability to score indicates that they "came nowhere near doing enough to win the match".

Rovers have many fine players - Clarke, Finn and Byrne were particularly impressive, but certainly don't have a strikers of the standard needed to actually win the tight games. Two goals in six matches against Dundalk and Bohs resulting in 1 point from a possible 18 tells its own story

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Waterford unlucky tonight. Bad defending from a corner in injury time left Bohs player free to score at the near post which is exactly what happened in our first home game v Shamrock Rovers. We also had a pitch invasion again by the away fans to celebrate the winner and a flare thrown onto the pitch which delayed the restart. Our security firm is getting a lot of criticism on social media for being too soft with away fans.
    Waterford were better team for most of 2nd half and didn't deserve to lose.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast