Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: John Caulfired

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Would Cork have the wherewithal to tempt Keith Long to come down there?
    Doubt it. Doesn't he had a good day job? And he's recently signed a 3 year deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Roy Keane??

Whatever he'd cost would be recouped and then some on the gate.

The problem caulfield had was that his teams are generally absolutely septic to watch. Which is fine when things are going well. But when they are not it really speeds up the decision to get rid. Because whatever about paying money to watch winning ****e people won't pay to watch losing ****e. I've no doubt 1600 odd at a league game while being all the points off the euro places would have caused a few brown trousers in the boardroom.

Imho the time to get rid of caulfied was the end of the season before last.

Watching cork from a Limerick point of view I remember being amazed after Maguire left.

Martin Russell's Relegation Roadshow actually picked up more points than a supposedly title challenging cork side after Maguire left.

At the end of that season a player of the calibre of Bastien Hery was knocking around Limerick available on the cheap. Waterford picked him up.

Because a john caulfield managed side had no use for a Bastien Hery.

Kind of summed him up for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I just realised I've a lost year there lol (easy as a Limerick fan)

I stand over my points/barely disguised slurs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    That`s three of the five Delaney strongholds crumbling, Cork, Waterford and Limerick. Just Tipp and Kerry to go.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Think he was harshly treated, what he achieved in previous seasons should have bought him more time. Done it all with the club as player and manager and took over when the club were on (yet another) low ebb. A lot of Cork fans showing yet again how fickle they are by the hounding some gave him recently as the crowds thinned out by the week at a time when a team really needs support. But there's a long history of crowds deserting teams in Cork.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie C View Post
    . A lot of Cork fans showing yet again how fickle they are by the hounding some gave him recently as the crowds thinned out by the week at a time when a team really needs support. But there's a long history of crowds deserting teams in Cork.
    Yeah, am old enough to remember that the "Cork 800" related to both the cod anniversary of English rule and the average Cork City crowd in 1985.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Greatest ever manager, incredibly consistent league performances. Never lost a cup tie in 90 minutes as far as I remember, only lost to Bohs after a replay in 2014.

Unfortunately, this year things have fallen apart. Its really sad to see it end this way but a change was needed. Its not just the results, we didnt look like we were going to turn it round, unable to do simple things well. Only 12 goals this season through 14 games and 4 of those came in a crazy game in Donegal in which Harps also scored 3. Unable to beat Harps at home who might be the worst LOI Premier team since Galway in 2011. They actually were probably the better team on Monday and were not afraid to press and challenge us. They hadn't won at the Cross in a couple of decades. When you get to that stage something has to be done.
    I'm worried about what comes next because you can never know how a manager will fit in with a team. I have no great love for Kenny but his achievements speak for themselves, and he failed at Rovers. We could bring in someone experienced and it might not work, or we could go with someone inexperienced and it could be an inspired appointment, or vice versa.

I was thinking earlier, only for Kenny being at Dundalk for 2013 – 2018, JC probably would have won another league title, maybe even two, who knows. His haul of 1 league and 2 cups is fairly decent to be fair, especially being in the job around the same time as Kenny, 6.5 years? The rivarly was a massive thing too in my book, as it was only Cork during that Kenny period who properly challenged Dundalk every year.

I can’t help thinking he was very badly let down by senior players like Morrissey and Buckley being just two, and maybe even McCormack, these guys should have dragged the others to better levels during the past month when the rot was firmly in place. Benson also at the back, should he had led better? then the mistake after mistake by McNulty, all car crash stuff.

Cork fans can quite rightly feel he was their greatest manager ever, he gave them great service both as a player and a manager, but it was absolutely the right timing to part today.
    Last edited by oriel; 01/05/2019 at 4:34 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Yeah, am old enough to remember that the "Cork 800" related to both the cod anniversary of English rule and the average Cork City crowd in 1985.
    Spot on although you might even be generous with that figure. Sure I saw someone once that Shamrock Rovers fans outnumbered the home support at the 86 Cup semi final second leg at Flower Lodge although in City's defence they were 4-1 down after first leg and hadn't a hope of overturning it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnie C View Post
    Spot on although you might even be generous with that figure. Sure I saw someone once that Shamrock Rovers fans outnumbered the home support at the 86 Cup semi final second leg at Flower Lodge although in City's defence they were 4-1 down after first leg and hadn't a hope of overturning it.
    What does 1986 have to do with fans today? The world has moved on massively from then. Our fan base is quite young, many weren't even born in 1986, and a significant portion would have been too young to attend, myself included.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I think part of it is that he recruited so poorly that it's not so much a case of him not getting the best from his players, as that they are just not that good a squad any more.

So I'm not sure a new manager can 'turn things round' so quickly.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I think part of it is that he recruited so poorly that it's not so much a case of him not getting the best from his players, as that they are just not that good a squad any more.

So I'm not sure a new manager can 'turn things round' so quickly.
    While hardly anyone would argue with the assertion that he recruited poorly (not just this season but in two consecutive close seasons) there is more to it than that.

While a weaker squad may make competing for the league title very difficult, it does not explain the results and current position

The Cork City website lists the following eleven players as having the most game time in the squad so far this season. Here's a team line up based on that, with the ranking for the most game minutes in brackets

McNulty (1)
    McCarthy (3) | Casey (6) | McLoughlin (5) | Griffin (4)
    McCormack (8) | Morrissey (9)
    Sheppard (10) |Buckley (2)| Tilley (7)
    Cummins (11)
    https://www.corkcityfc.ie/home/list/...atistics-2019/

From that list the only newcomers this season are Dan Casey and James Tilley.

That should not be a relegation threatened side with less than a point per match average.

A new manager has a real opportunity to dramatically improve performances and results
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 01/05/2019 at 6:27 PM. Reason: link added

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Perhaps, but given the level of performances lately I'd be surprised if we saw an immediate turn around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Doubt it. Doesn't he had a good day job? And he's recently signed a 3 year deal.
    He comes in every so often into our office in Dublin fixing a fax machine or something like that (to be honest I don't know what it is at all). Nice guy though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Glitw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Allan Reynolds being eyed up by Cork.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38070990.html

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Hmm. Hardly setting the world alight with a big budget in Waterford?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Allan Reynolds being eyed up by Cork.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-38070990.html
    I've heard about 10 different names linked at this stage. Take no notice for the moment I would think.

Anyway, John Cotter has been appointed as Interim Manager.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Cork targeting continuity as John Cotter is appointed Interim Manager.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2019...-city-manager/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    If Cork go with Cotter, I think he can only be in place for 60 days or so, then they will have to appoint a manager with the badges. Unelss they can unearth a John Gill type from somewhere.

What would the view on Cotter be for Cork fans, he seemed very behind the scenes, when he worked with JC?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    I'm not sure how I feel about Cotter as interim manager. I always had the impression he's more the loyal servant type, not sure he can lead.
    As for the badges, as far as I know Lisa Fallon has Pro badges, but would the club put her in a John Gill like role or would she agree to that? I doubt that. And anyone who would come in from the outside would want to be the manager and not just be there for the badges, I guess.

But that's all just my personal view as a random supporter without any behind the scenes knowledge.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast