Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 22 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid 19 - LOI Ramifications

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSE Airtricity League
    Delegates from the FAI and the NLEC discussed the various options at length, including but not restricted to the following:

-> A resumption for the SSE Airtricity League behind closed doors on June 19th with the season to end no later than the end of December, a ‘behind closed doors’ policy to operate as long as HSE Guidelines recommend.

-> A resumption as planned on June 19th with stadium restrictions in line with HSE Guidelines including ‘behind closed doors’ and reduced capacity at 25% or 50%, the season to run until the end of December.

-> A resumption in July or August, based on Government advice and HSE guidelines.

-> A deferral of all National League activity until September with a reduced fixture programme season to run until the end of December.

-> A resumption of National League football in September with a full fixture programme season to run until the end of February 2021.

https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/n...league/id-3276
    The first one the most realistic of the 5? Can't see how behind closed doors is a viable option here.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Imo sometimes a break from football is a good thing for everyone including clubs and society. I do the stats part of our website and I know that in 1972 we were kicked out of the LSL and not only that we didnt have a home as we were evicted from the Greyhound track and were homeless.
    The following year we didnt play football at all and eventually in 1974 we had to restart over again and started in the Leinster Junior League and started all over again and at a temporary ground and then eventually worked our way up.

It proved a turning point in our history. I for one dont mind the break one bit. Fair enough the club will be out of money but they have season ticket sales to live on but at least they wont have to pay for Gardai,insurance, etc.

I think we are better off writing the season completely if things dont move the way of the FAI by year end. Maybe we can do the winter football next year.

Look at what happened to Derry City out of senior football for 13 long years and had to go down the leagues. Cork didnt have a loi team for two years. Limerick can get their house in order and get back in football next year.

Allow this time to investigate the possibilities of an all island league and see if its feasible. That would be my priority imo. Other people may not agree with me but thats the way I would approach it.

Maybe a break from the football is better for all. More important things to worry about.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    MOD EDIT - RH KEEP IT CIVIL PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by The Lilywhites View Post
    Supporters enjoy the games just as much, and sometimes more, than players. It's affecting everyone involved. It's the hope that kills you. Why keep putting it off and off and off when we all know the LOI won't be returning with crowds this year. Stop the nonsense.
    How would you like it if your job and something you love and something that keeps you fit and healthy told you that you weren't allowed to do it until February today but it became clear that you could have resumed everything in July but plans had been made for February and it was too late. Ignoring the financial aspect the mental toll would be devastating.

I'm pointing out that it's utterly ridiculous that the FAI CEO chose to do a video interview which raised people's hopes when the government statement was nothing to do with the LOI. The government didn't exactly make a great job of that particular announcement. It left more questions than answers.
    A statement on mass gatherings is everything to do with the LOI. And he was asked a direct question he didn't just blurt it out.

We've basically been told social distancing will be in place for the rest of 2020, and possibly 2021 too.
    But we don't know in what form and basically told isn't worth the paper it's written on these days.

Adverts where, in an online match programme? If the PPV is anything like the pilot project last year then you won't have too many paying for it, no matter how desperate they are to watch their team. I don't see too many clubs doing lottos at the moment when it's something they could possibly do. Our one isn't even running now as far as I'm aware.

"Basically all match day income". What?
    In the corners, along the bottom, before and after the match, at half time, ****ing tonnes of space and time for ads, like literally every single televised game and some.

They won't be anything like the pilot numbers last year and I think the reasons for that would be pretty obvious even for you.

Yeah match ball sponsorship, programmes, half time lotto, etc could all run easily.

For Dundalk and Bohs especially, bar revenue is massive. Bars will be the last place to reopen.
    And? If your clubs relying on bar income you're in trouble, not exactly money making machines.

No need for the language. The only plan made public so far is June but it's just kicking the can down the road. Knowing how LOI clubs operate, June might be the only plan right now. Great if that makes you happy but it's just false hope. Not getting my hopes up because it would just be disappointment in the end.
    REMOVED

Dundalk have no income at the moment - what they have in the bank shouldn't come into the business decision. Lots of companies and businesses who have plenty of money in the coffers have done the same. We should be looking after the club itself, not who is currently on the wage list at the moment.
    What a company has in the bank shouldn't come into a discussion on its finances? Did you read that before you hit send?
    No they haven't.

Players don't care about clubs, sorry to tell you. What if Dundalk turned around next January and said 'sorry we have to make a 25% cut', do you think that a player would hang about if Rovers offered his full wages, even after receiving all his 2020 money while at Oriel?
    Employees don't have to care about employers, employers have a duty of care towards employees though

Again, no need for the language. Yes I'm sure Ronan Finn rounded up the gang and said 'lets take a 25% pay cut'. You're obviously one of the fans that fell for it. A good PR agreement, no doubt.
    Again grow up.
    And I've actually seen proof of it so yeah that's how it happened. May not be something you're interested in accepting but some people actually care about others unlike yourself seemingly.

So? Let them move on. Nobody is indispensable. These are exceptional times and people have to understand that and get on with it. Difficult decisions need to be made. Clubs should protect themselves, as Pat's have rightly done. They know what's coming.
    Yeah and then as a club face the prospect of being told. The leagues restating in a month and you've 10 lads left, that makes sense
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 23/04/2020 at 9:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    How would you like it if your job and something you love and something that keeps you fit and healthy told you that you weren't allowed to do it until February today but it became clear that you could have resumed everything in July but plans had been made for February and it was too late. Ignoring the financial aspect the mental toll would be devastating.
    Don't see your point here. Hundreds of thousands of people are having to deal with being out of work with their job possibly gone for good. As I said before, players aren't special cases but you seem to think they are for some reason.

A statement on mass gatherings is everything to do with the LOI. And he was asked a direct question he didn't just blurt it out.
    He was asked a direct question by the FAI's in-house media team. Totally different.

But we don't know in what form and basically told isn't worth the paper it's written on these days.
    The 2m rule will stay in place for a long, long time.

In the corners, along the bottom, before and after the match, at half time, ****ing tonnes of space and time for ads, like literally every single televised game and some.

They won't be anything like the pilot numbers last year and I think the reasons for that would be pretty obvious even for you.

Yeah match ball sponsorship, programmes, half time lotto, etc could all run easily.

And? If your clubs relying on bar income you're in trouble, not exactly money making machines.
    Lots of businesses are facing uncertain times, job cuts etc. Don't think LOI sponsorship on a blurry stream will be top of their list.

I'm not talking about the pilot numbers, I've no idea what they were. I mean the quality of service, one of the games cut off midway through fgs. That was by a 'professional' company. Imagine some clubs doing it themselves.

They're words grow the **** up or get off the Internet if they scare you.
    Then don't get your hopes up be a pessimistic wee **** you're not important here the players and clubs are.
    Yes, I'm scared. No need to use those words to make your point.

The clubs are important. Players are numbers and can be replaced.

What a company has in the bank shouldn't come into a discussion on its finances? Did you read that before you hit send?
    No they haven't.
    Yes they most certainly have. Liverpool furloughed staff in the UK before being shamed into a U-turn. Other EPL clubs have stuck with that scheme. Lots of successful businesses have done it here.

Employees don't have to care about employers, employers have a duty of care towards employees though
    Generally if there's no work, you're let go.

Again grow up.
    And I've actually seen proof of it so yeah that's how it happened. May not be something you're interested in accepting but some people actually care about others unlike yourself seemingly.
    I'm sure.

Yeah and then as a club face the prospect of being told. The leagues restating in a month and you've 10 lads left, that makes sense
    The season is a write off. See you in February.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Don't see your point here. Hundreds of thousands of people are having to deal with being out of work with their job possibly gone for good. As I said before, players aren't special cases but you seem to think they are for some reason.
    And everyones working on being able to work as soon as possible, not having to wait for a potentially much later date for absolutely no reason other than some peop seem to have a problem with having the date they can watch football again pushed back every so often.

He was asked a direct question by the FAI's in-house media team. Totally different.
    Not different at all it's a question he'd have been asked no matter what journalists were there

The 2m rule will stay in place for a long, long time.
    You an expert in the area now?

Lots of businesses are facing uncertain times, job cuts etc. Don't think LOI sponsorship on a blurry stream will be top of their list.
    It's not about new sponsors, it's about not having to pay back existing deals.

I'm not talking about the pilot numbers, I've no idea what they were. I mean the quality of service, one of the games cut off midway through fgs. That was by a 'professional' company. Imagine some clubs doing it themselves.
    One stream dropped once, stop the press ASAP get this on the front page...

The clubs are important. Players are numbers and can be replaced.
    What a ****ing horrible way to talk about a human being

Yes they most certainly have. Liverpool furloughed staff in the UK before being shamed into a U-turn. Other EPL clubs have stuck with that scheme. Lots of successful businesses have done it here.
    Shamed into a uturn is the point there. And the UK furlough scheme isn't available here so thats an apple's and oranges comparison

I'm sure.
    LOI isn't a big family, doesn't take many conversations to know someone who knows someone.

The season is a write off. See you in February.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 23/04/2020 at 9:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    It's called life. You seem to have a weird view of the world.

Can't be bothered replying any further to your latest nonsense.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    It's called life. You seem to have a weird view of the world.

Can't be bothered replying any further to your latest nonsense.
    A view of the world that taking away hope from people, potentially causing serious mental anguish to them and laying people off that you can afford to pay is wrong.

What a terrible view to have...
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 23/04/2020 at 9:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    https://www.the42.ie/league-of-irela...81155-Apr2020/

The FAI and league representatives had a chit chat earlier to come up with a few proposals, nothing in them that hasn’t been discussed on here.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    The first one the most realistic of the 5? Can't see how behind closed doors is a viable option here.
    Delegates from the FAI and the NLEC discussed the various options at length, including but not restricted to the following:

-> A resumption for the SSE Airtricity League behind closed doors on June 19th with the season to end no later than the end of December, a ‘behind closed doors’ policy to operate as long as HSE Guidelines recommend.

-> A resumption as planned on June 19th with stadium restrictions in line with HSE Guidelines including ‘behind closed doors’ and reduced capacity at 25% or 50%, the season to run until the end of December.

-> A resumption in July or August, based on Government advice and HSE guidelines.

-> A deferral of all National League activity until September with a reduced fixture programme season to run until the end of December.

-> A resumption of National League football in September with a full fixture programme season to run until the end of February 2021.

https://www.sseairtricityleague.ie/n...league/id-3276

From these options, I would have thought 4th and 5th would be more realistic, then there is a 6th not listed, possibly the most obvious one, complete cancellation of the 2020 season.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    As a DoH official in my day job there is no chance of 2m being relaxed till a vaccine is produced never mind waves 2,3,4 coming later this year.

Its ****ty but reality is most likely no LOI till February at the earliest. Behind closed doors is doomed to failure or you suggesting we cocoon 22 teams at abbotstown give them all covid19 and then play ball after quarantine hoping none die and obviously giving it to the match officials as well , stewards, groundsstaff etc

Its horrible but clubs by June will lay off all the players. I hope I am wrong!

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Lads - please keep it civil. I've left most of the debate there as most of it is fair enough. However i'll just delete posts like 'You seem stressed' as these are deliberately winding people up.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    FAI asking LOI to consider the merits of playing matches behind closed doors and seeing of they could find a way to make it work.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Apart from the fact it decimates every income stream we have, I cannot see how a league would function where we'd have to stop if anyone in a squad tested positive. We don't have TV deals that force us into this, I don't understand why this would be given any consideration at all.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

17. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    I think in fairness the league have put five options on the table and asked clubs to come up with a rough idea of cost/exposure.

It's definitely an option - and if it's not a viable one, then it won't go ahead.

I presume.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    I can’t see the live streaming angle working. It would only be beneficial to some clubs if all streaming revenue was distributed from a communal pot and I’d say that’s a non runner. I’d suspect that Quinn is just stalling to see what the government, Fifa/Uefa will do for the league. The unfortunate thing is that in unprecedented times we have been found to have no options to continue, if normality can’t resume either can the LOI.
    Last edited by D24Saint; 23/04/2020 at 4:04 PM.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Cork and Pat's have already ruled out behind closed doors. The other 4 non European clubs in the Premier most likely have the same view.

The 4 European clubs will be guided by whatever happens with UEFA really. If our clubs were to draw a team from a country that will allow the tie to take place (example Belarus), where the Irish government might not, will our club be forced to forfeit the tie?

Could be a strange situation where the 4 clubs play European games but no more domestic games in 2020.

The First Division clubs seem to be forgotten in all this.

There was a report in the Sun saying streaming could cost anywhere between 2k (for a one man recording) and 8k for higher quality. Presumably that's the cost figure for a club to cover their remaining 15/16 home games.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Cork and Pat's have already ruled out behind closed doors. The other 4 non European clubs in the Premier most likely have the same view.

The 4 European clubs will be guided by whatever happens with UEFA really. If our clubs were to draw a team from a country that will allow the tie to take place (example Belarus), where the Irish government might not, will our club be forced to forfeit the tie?

Could be a strange situation where the 4 clubs play European games
    I know for us in 1973 we were barred from the LSL but was allowed to play one tie in the FAI intermediate cup that season!

So there is precedence even if its not loi related!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    271 Posts
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soc...eland-21917699

Ollie Horgan on the merits playing a winter campaign.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

Is Football in Ireland at a turning point again now with the Coronavirus?

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    The screening for covid19 technology is there if clubs want it and i believe it's reasonably cheap as well.
    Dont know how you can get crowd in and out though? even working on low numbers & Behind closed doors wont be happening.
    John delaney looking on in glee - whats this now ?? 14 unopened dole checks on his hall door mat

Page 22 of 78 FirstFirst ... 1220212223243272 ... LastLast