Results 7,641 to 7,660 of 8116

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Just catching up on this video. Some of our stadia don’t actually look too bad here. I suppose it helps when they’re drenched in sunshine.
    Interestingly the commentator really liked the random colourful blocks of seating in Tallaght, which we’ve moaned about here for years. If nothing else it’s certainly unique, and probably an interesting quirk to outsiders.
    I’m sure I’ve also said this here before but if Shels could just put a new coat of paint on the roofs either side of the pitch it would do wonders for the ground. The faded rusty colour really looks dreadful. Although maybe that ramshackle look is part of a ploy to appeal for more funding…
    Yes, not a bad video, although not intirely accurate he took the time to pull it together. While the grounds don't look too bad in the video, when you attend it's a different matter. The exception being Tallaght.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    NB : A "multi-event" venue, not a multi-sport one. It's in the GAA's blood to try to undermine other major or 'saxon' sports whenever they can (even if there would be little or no need for other sports to use that particular stadium). There is an ingrained insecurity within the GAA, in contrast with any other sport that would welcome other uses of their facilities. They row in on international football or rugby tournaments because the politics is such that they can't really refuse and they also benefit massively themselves out of those events too. But the Liam Millar saga wasn't that long ago, and clubs at a local level are still being fined for letting other codes use their facilities.
    More nonsense from the GAA to get money to upgrade a stadium that is probably still in better condition than most LOI grounds and will never let a "foreign" sport be played on it. I can hardly see U2 playing a gig there or Daniel O Donnell filling it. So it will sit in pristine condition few a few games a year and they will still complain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    FAI confirm this evening they won't be going ahead with the Glanmire project.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    A real shame but no surprises. Another great effort by John Delaney
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    A real shame but no surprises. Another great effort by John Delaney
    What's the latest on the court case against that fecker? Was the FAI ever forced to divulge all the emails he was trying to hide?

Knowing how this place works, the Guards and courts will probably just drag it all out and then quietly let the whole thing slip.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    What's the latest on the court case against that fecker? Was the FAI ever forced to divulge all the emails he was trying to hide?

Knowing how this place works, the Guards and courts will probably just drag it all out and then quietly let the whole thing slip.
    Yes they were granted access.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    A new club shop to be opened within the next few weeks in Waterford which will also be the new Office HQ and Ticket Office.
    It'll be situated right across from the RSC itself which is handy but it's a bit of a trek from town for those without a vehicle, but it's a very good step in the right direction.

https://waterfordfc.ie/waterford-fc-...ew-club-store/

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    I see Larne's 4g pitch isn’t up to scratch to host european games. I haven’t seen their pitch but I can’t imagine it’s much worse than Oriel or the Brandywell so you’d wonder if those pitches could be turned down too…

https://larnefc.com/european-home-fixtures-set-to-move/

I found this quote pretty amusing, shock horror that a pitch with a 5 year lifespan has become substandard after… 5 years

“When our 4G playing surface was installed back in 2018, the pitch had an expected lifespan of 5-7 years. Despite still being considered a top-quality surface for NIFL Premiership and all domestic fixtures, we have unfortunately fallen just short of the increasingly high criteria imposed by FIFA.
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Year Contract View Post
    I see Larne's 4g pitch isn’t up to scratch to host european games. I haven’t seen their pitch but I can’t imagine it’s much worse than Oriel or the Brandywell so you’d wonder if those pitches could be turned down too…

https://larnefc.com/european-home-fixtures-set-to-move/

I found this quote pretty amusing, shock horror that a pitch with a 5 year lifespan has become substandard after… 5 years
    It is no worse than Brandywell/Oriel and with any luck both of those will be turned down also as much as it might be a short term pain in the backside it might put nail in coffin for these pitches once and for all as surely no club would be stupid enough to put another one in knowing the tide has very much turned against them and they could be outright banned soon anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    they could be outright banned soon anyway.
    banned outright by who… fifa or FAI?
    You couldn’t expect teams in the far north to have natural grass. Good luck with a grass pitch in somewhere like Bodo Glimt or Rovoniemi. They’re inside the arctic circle!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    banned outright by who… fifa or FAI?
    You couldn’t expect teams in the far north to have natural grass. Good luck with a grass pitch in somewhere like Bodo Glimt or Rovoniemi. They’re inside the arctic circle!
    I don’t know the answer to that question. What I have based that statement on is other associations banning them at a professional level (i.e the Netherlands). My thinking (perhaps wrongly) is that this something thay may spread rendering them essentially banned… perhaps there will be exceptions as you point out or perhaps I have just jumped the gun… either way my main concern was here in Ireland. Get rid of them all ASAP.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    I don’t know the answer to that question. What I have based that statement on is other associations banning them at a professional level (i.e the Netherlands). My thinking (perhaps wrongly) is that this something thay may spread rendering them essentially banned… perhaps there will be exceptions as you point out or perhaps I have just jumped the gun… either way my main concern was here in Ireland. Get rid of them all ASAP.
    Larne's pitch in probably the best artificial pitch in the province. It's about 4 years old and now not up to standard required for champions league qualifiers. Derry and Dundalk will probably have to play at alternative venues unless the standard isn't as high for the lesser competitions.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Would have thought the requirements would be the same in both? Tends to just get tighter as you progress through the rounds

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Planning permission for the new terrace in the Brandywell has been lodged.

It'll be a covered, 2.5k capacity terrace, allowable for European matches.
    It will involve taking away part of the Southend Stand, that's block A and half of B, where the away fans usually go.
    Away fans will be moved to the opposite end of the stand, Blocks K/L/M.

Assuming permission is granted, construction is due to start in October.

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    It is no worse than Brandywell/Oriel and with any luck both of those will be turned down also as much as it might be a short term pain in the backside it might put nail in coffin for these pitches once and for all as surely no club would be stupid enough to put another one in knowing the tide has very much turned against them and they could be outright banned soon anyway.
    The pitch has been ruled out because it's had too much usage, and its life span said it would need replacing round about now anyway. UEFA haven't just decided on a whim that they don't like it.

So long as Oriel and Brandywell surfaces aren't similalrly worn out before their recomennded life span, they will be passed to play on. More clubs continue to install plastic pitches all the time, including in Ireland (e.g Coleraine). Something like half the Irish League clubs (?) have artifical grass now.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

It will involve taking away part of the Southend Stand, that's block A and half of B, where the away fans usually go.

Fantastic to hear this. Fair play to the club (and POD who I’m sure must be bankrolling it) for moving ahead with development while the other stand expansion is still caught up in red tape.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post

Wow! That's a big terrace for behind a goals! Great to hear this. Are there drawings for it anywhere?

What will the net increase in capacity be once those existing blocks are removed to make way for it?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    The pitch has been ruled out because it's had too much usage, and its life span said it would need replacing round about now anyway. UEFA haven't just decided on a whim that they don't like it.
    I am very aware of all that, my comment on it being no worse than the Brandywell or Oriel is in relation to their current states. Larne have the exact same pitch as Derry and installed at the same time. The pitch in Inver was in no worse condition in terms of wear etc than the Brandywell definitely from what I seen of it a few months ago. This is obviously to the naked eye so hardly scientific but I imagine Derry at least must be very concerned now.

22. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    I am very aware of all that, my comment on it being no worse than the Brandywell or Oriel is in relation to their current states. Larne have the exact same pitch as Derry and installed at the same time. The pitch in Inver was in no worse condition in terms of wear etc than the Brandywell definitely from what I seen of it a few months ago. This is obviously to the naked eye so hardly scientific but I imagine Derry at least must be very concerned now.
    Derry and Larne are full time, so we asume they train on the pitches daily. As far as I know Larne don't ground share but Derry do with institute. It also depends if the clubs academies and underage teams also use the pitches.
    There could be a Dear John letter on its was to Derry. Don't know about Dundalk pitch usage.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Derry and Larne are full time, so we asume they train on the pitches daily. As far as I know Larne don't ground share but Derry do with institute. It also depends if the clubs academies and underage teams also use the pitches.
    There could be a Dear John letter on its was to Derry. Don't know about Dundalk pitch usage.
    I would guess it's the frequent/non-stop community usage on both pitches that is the issue, rather than underage teams training there a couple of times a week. Both pitches seem to be rented out/used by the community a lot, so presumably even if the underage teams weren't using it that slot would be rented to someone else instead anyway.

This puts a question mark over the whole model of cluhs installing artifical pitches to raise income by renting them out (and often securing capital grants to install them by portraying them as community hubs).