Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 118 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    My estimation of SOD has fallen through the floor if the rumours of what's happened are even vaguely true..
    He had agreed to a 2 year extension Pats but then didn't sign any pats players for the upcoming season, but now he's going to dundalk he can now have his pick of the Pats side.😳
    That has a bang of bad karma off it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Do people really think O’Donnell signed a contract extension in September but then decided he wasn’t hanging around but would pretend like he would just so he could control the contract situation of the players he liked so he could take them to his next club. Does no one remember that up until 3 weeks ago Dundalk we’re owned by the Marx brothers and no decent manager would dream of coming here. This is some next level conspiracy stuff.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    My estimation of SOD has fallen through the floor
    He'll be gutted to hear that

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    This SOD debacle reminds me of the SK debacle close to 20 yrs ago now when he walked out on us to go to Bohs! He had originally agreed a verbal extension with the committee and club threatened to bring him to court but alas it didnt happen.

Think SOD is rather foolish in going to Dundalk -he should be more concentrating on getting his badges instead of being impatient and walking out of St Pats.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Do people really think O’Donnell signed a contract extension in September but then decided he wasn’t hanging around but would pretend like he would just so he could control the contract situation of the players he liked so he could take them to his next club. Does no one remember that up until 3 weeks ago Dundalk we’re owned by the Marx brothers and no decent manager would dream of coming here. This is some next level conspiracy stuff.
    Those in the know say that’s exactly what happened. The sale of Dundalk may only have been finalised three weeks ago but everyone knew it was in train. Do you not think it’s significant there has been no announcement of an appointment by Dundalk. They could be leaving themselves very exposed legally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    My estimation of SOD has fallen through the floor if the rumours of what's happened are even vaguely true..
    He had agreed to a 2 year extension Pats but then didn't sign any pats players for the upcoming season, but now he's going to dundalk he can now have his pick of the Pats side.
    That has a bang of bad karma off it.
    Ah now PC, that happened the instant he signed for Dundalk as a player, the rest is now bonus territory for you!

I am enjoying the way stories and rumours have grown legs in hours, like they are on flipping speed. Forrester leaving Pats is never a high likelihood but doubt on a whole lot has certainly set in in Inchicore. Even if O'Donnell changes is mind on changing his mind on St Pats or Dundalk, the reaction from a lot of Pats fans on social media, some very well known, are going to drive a final decision if it isnt a done deal - and it isnt until its confirmed! A lot of hissy fits and foot stamping for rumours. One thing we do know about those returning to Dundalk under the ownership change is that they keep things very close to the chest so why the over reaction to as yet just some journo musings?

Its not as if Dundalk didnt have the top asset, the manager, pinched due to John Delaney hedging his bets, keeping his options open at the time. We also had a key players transfer, a former captain, manipulated in to happening which had a bang of bad karma off it too! People move on, as do clubs and supporters, maybe with the odd psychological scar but thats the game!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    Those in the know say that’s exactly what happened. The sale of Dundalk May only have been finalised three weeks ago but everyone knew it was in train. Do you not think it’s significant there has been no announcement of an appointment by Dundalk. They could be leaving themselves very exposed legally.
    Those in the know are also going to be driving an agenda for their own ends, doesnt make anything of what they say true. Anyway where was Alan Matthews for example in all this? Surely he'd have been asking what the story was on talks with players. If S'OD has duped everyone at St Pats then people at St Pats were asleep at the wheel! They will have to do plenty of deflecting of responsibility so throwing a few good scéals covering asses early on is a tactic, followed by the pointing of fingers no doubt!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Those in the know are also going to be driving an agenda for their own ends, doesnt make anything of what they say true. Anyway where was Alan Matthews for example in all this? Surely he'd have been asking what the story was on talks with players. If S'OD has duped everyone at St Pats then people at St Pats were asleep at the wheel! They will have to do plenty of deflecting of responsibility so throwing a few good scéals covering asses early on is a tactic, followed by the pointing of fingers no doubt!
    As I said, if and when Dundalk make an announcement it will get interesting. Let’s see what happens.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    To think the SOD was singularly in charge of St. Pats renewal of player contracts, and he postponed it for months in hoping that Dundalk would have new owners who would want him and give significant backing to, and his aim is to sign all of Pats players.... its all so fanciful...It would barely make sense if it was just one Pats player, nevermind the whole team. That is a hell of a lot of risk for O'Donnell if it didnt work out, and moving parts for someone to orchestrate (esp since Dundalk only recently have new owners, and who were not always guaranteed to take over the club until about a week before it happened).

Dundalk went out and got the manager, and it seems Pats were caught flat-footed in how they were running the club, and lost a manager to a team who they deem as beneath them, and now they realize they are in a vulnerable position regarding players. They are making conspiracies just to deal with it.

Did they just hand over the whole running of the club to O'Donnell? Dont they have a full time DOF in Ger O'Brien? When did the board try to start contract renewals of the players only to be stopped by SOD?

Dundalk are probably taking their time to announce, because behind the scenes Pats are probably kicking up a fuss, and Dundalk are doing their due diligence. Does not mean their is a legitimate (or illegitimate) gripe.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    SOD being quite conniving and Pats being naive in their handling of issues such as players' contracts and beyond are not mutually exclusive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    So either SOD was being sneaky & not renewing contracts or he took his eye of the ball & didn't have things sorted for key players?

In fairness it is somewhat tricky as you probably don't know their budget for the following season until late in the season but Europe had looked likely for a while out. At LOI level the manager is going to be responsible for how the budget is spent so kind of hard to be too harsh on the board unless they were slow giving SOD a ballpark figure to work with for next season

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    191 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Dont they have a full time DOF in Ger O'Brien?
    Ger is director of football for the academy and has nothing to do with the first team matters
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Interesting to read comments about SOD here leaving while it seems not in contract, and was it the right / wrong thing to do, there was very little sympathy for DFC when SK left while under an actual signed contract at the end of 2018. DFC didn't even get a cent from FAI in compensation, although to be fair they did pay when Higgins left some months after.

SOD was free to leave simple as, if Pats had any concerns about his contract they could easily have had it checked and re-validated well before or after the cup final, they didn't.

Any complaint seems pointless in any case now, as they have already moved to replace him and are moving on, and I`m sure Clancy will sign up who he wants from their existing squad, then again they also will have a choice to do that of course or wait to see if there are other offers from any other clubs. That's the risk you take with contracts running out, Dundalk will lose more, Cleary is probably one, and for zero fee.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Most recent LOI Central with Dan McDonnell gives a much more reasonable timeline to the events, than the rumors being sent around.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The online fair outcome here is that Dundalk, Pat's and Drogheda start next year on -40 points.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Looking like Kev Doherty and Daire Doyle as assistant for Drogs. Daire could entice a few of Longfords better players, I'd take Dervin anyways and Steacy if required. Grimes also looked a very good player when I saw him this year (I think it was Grimes anyways).

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Would have been Grimes yeah. They're all more than capable of being good signings for ye. Dervin has a job with An Post locally though as far as I know and we'd be due some compensation for him. Possibly would be due something for Grimes too, I think it's payable for players 23 and under? Though he's 24 in March by the looks of things so we wouldn't be due anything at that point anyway.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Jimmy corcoran signed with cork , any wexford lads with an opinion of him? only really saw him 2 or 3 times this season and wasnt overly impressed at any stage. In saying that if hes in any way decent with his distribution and under a cross i'd be happy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    Jimmy corcoran signed with cork , any wexford lads with an opinion of him? only really saw him 2 or 3 times this season and wasnt overly impressed at any stage. In saying that if hes in any way decent with his distribution and under a cross i'd be happy.
    While technically not a 'Wexford lad', I do head along to a few of their games, was curious to see him given his underage pedigree but never really convinced me, especially under a high ball, I'd have expected Cork to have someone stronger as their starter.

How did Harrington look at the end of the season?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny Kelly View Post
    While technically not a 'Wexford lad', I do head along to a few of their games, was curious to see him given his underage pedigree but never really convinced me, especially under a high ball, I'd have expected Cork to have someone stronger as their starter.

How did Harrington look at the end of the season?
    harrington was fine but played in 4 dead rubbers and wasnt really challenged in many of them bar a penalty and 1v1 against ucd. I'll have to reserve judgement, Im not sure theres a player in corcoran tbh , GK could be a problem area for us next season.

Page 10 of 118 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast