Results 5,041 to 5,060 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I dont remember ever watching an Ireland game where I thought McCarthy was our best player never mind by a mile!
    Germany at home 1-0

2. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    It will be very interesting to see if he plays for us again. I have a feeling he may call time on his international career, although I hope I'm wrong as I feel he's our best player by a mile when fit.
    THIS is sensible football. whe u see some gus throwing that James is this or that, they just know a dime about international football. some stuff on James McCarthy is absurd.

I give you the kid is shy, he doesnt fight that much, he wont be Dunga or Deschamps, he is much better than them, Trap ussually compared this kid with some flair players from the past, There is still some patches of a number 10 in James McCarthy, he is always the best irish player on the pitch for me, even when he is 5 or 6 of rating, the things he brings to the team, no other could do it, Only Liam Brady, Roy, Ronnie Whelan and the old good Tony Galvin are ahead of him in my opinion, from the players that ive seen in midfielder from Ireland, maybe Lawrenson but i havent seen him that much as a holding midfielder a bit like our Sergio Batista at the time, with that JesusChrist kind of beard.

Anyway, James McCarthy is one of those fellows who cant retire from international football, he is our marquee player and the visage of the irish national team, when you think of the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND you think about James McCarthy, maybe James McClean and Seamus Coleman/Shane Long those are the brand players worldwide.

It is simple when James McCarthy plays Eire plays a different match as it was exposed in Slovakia, he got a nasty kicked from that Hamsik dirty when James was "owning the game"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Yerra shtop.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Yerra shtop.
    " A superbia initium sumpsit omnis perditio".
    Mange bien votre pan fried cod tongues avec scrunchions sur lá, then a poutine et tourtiére et de la tire d'èrable sur la neige pour le dessert , sage man, in Canada mon frère.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    THIS is sensible football. whe u see some gus throwing that James is this or that, they just know a dime about international football. some stuff on James McCarthy is absurd.

I give you the kid is shy, he doesnt fight that much, he wont be Dunga or Deschamps, he is much better than them, Trap ussually compared this kid with some flair players from the past, There is still some patches of a number 10 in James McCarthy, he is always the best irish player on the pitch for me, even when he is 5 or 6 of rating, the things he brings to the team, no other could do it, Only Liam Brady, Roy, Ronnie Whelan and the old good Tony Galvin are ahead of him in my opinion, from the players that ive seen in midfielder from Ireland, maybe Lawrenson but i havent seen him that much as a holding midfielder a bit like our Sergio Batista at the time, with that JesusChrist kind of beard.

Anyway, James McCarthy is one of those fellows who cant retire from international football, he is our marquee player and the visage of the irish national team, when you think of the REPUBLIC OF IRELAND you think about James McCarthy, maybe James McClean and Seamus Coleman/Shane Long those are the brand players worldwide.

It is simple when James McCarthy plays Eire plays a different match as it was exposed in Slovakia, he got a nasty kicked from that Hamsik dirty when James was "owning the game"
    Are you mixing him up with the Dubs, McCarthy ?

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    some stuff on James McCarthy is absurd.
    Aw, spoiler alert for the rest of the post.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Aw, spoiler alert for the rest of the post.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Germany at home 1-0
    It doesnt stand out out for me to be honest. I remember games in the Premiership where he was excellent a couple of times but its been a very disappointing career overall given the promise as a 16 year old. I'd still have him in the Ireland team if he was fit but Im long past the days where Im disappointed if he doesnt even make the squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    He was excellent against Italy and France in 2016.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    He should get games at Celtic due to squad rotation, number of competitions, high octane style of play - not cos he would walk into first 11 due to superior quality to what's there.

His style of play doesn't really fit in with what is going on at Celtic at the minute. James doesn't play on the front foot or isnt creative enough to warrant a starting spot when they are actively looking to go out and break down opposition and win a game.

Away at Ibrox, tynecastle, in Europe etc he should do a job.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    He was excellent against Italy and France in 2016.
    Yeah he was good in the Euros I suppose. As I said I'd still pick him if hes fit, but I think that says more about where we are than where he is.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottle of Tonic View Post
    He should get games at Celtic due to squad rotation, number of competitions, high octane style of play - not cos he would walk into first 11 due to superior quality to what's there.

His style of play doesn't really fit in with what is going on at Celtic at the minute. James doesn't play on the front foot or isnt creative enough to warrant a starting spot when they are actively looking to go out and break down opposition and win a game.

Away at Ibrox, tynecastle, in Europe etc he should do a job.
    But it begs the question: why hand a four-year contract to an expensive, injury-prone player who's the very antithesis of the manager's style and who will only be used now and then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I suspect McCarthy will be the holding player. He is an elite midfielder from a defensive perspective and will allow the attacking players to have the freedom to take more risks. In that way, it actually makes a lot of sense to me.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    But it begs the question: why hand a four-year contract to an expensive, injury-prone player who's the very antithesis of the manager's style and who will only be used now and then?
    I think they'll probably come to regret that decision in time, especially the four year contract bit. But the famous "Premier League Experience" continues to count for a lot and when added to availability on a free transfer, seems to cause clubs to make strange decisions. See Newcastle and Jeff Hendrick - I'd say if they could go back in time they'd want to undo that decision.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I suspect McCarthy will be the holding player. He is an elite midfielder from a defensive perspective and will allow the attacking players to have the freedom to take more risks. In that way, it actually makes a lot of sense to me.
    He's not an elite midfielder - maybe he had that potential but injuries took a significant toll. He can still do a job for Celtic - but a four-year contract was a major surprise. Good luck staying fit in his 30s when he struggled to do so in his 20s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    He's not an elite midfielder - maybe he had that potential but injuries took a significant toll. He can still do a job for Celtic - but a four-year contract was a major surprise. Good luck staying fit in his 30s when he struggled to do so in his 20s.
    Ryan Giggs was probably more injured in his 20s than his 30s

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Not even on the bench today for Celtic, who thrashed St. Mirren 6-0 at home. Is he just building his fitness up before being allowed to play? It seems very strange to bring a guy in on huge money and then not play him.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Yeah he's fully fit at the moment.

Probably why SK didn't pick him.

McCarthy yet another player who would have blossomed into a brilliant player if he had been playing on the continent instead of England.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Yeah he's fully fit at the moment.
    McCarthy yet another player who would have blossomed into a brilliant player if he had been playing on the continent instead of England.
    How? Do they have better physios over their or something?

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    How? Do they have better physios over their or something?
    I don’t think gravity is quite as strong there.

26. Thanks From: