Results 6,401 to 6,420 of 8099

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post
    The Finn Harps stadium situation is a mess and it is a scandal, no doubt. It's horrible to see a half built modern stand dilapidating before our eyes. I'd also fear that it could be a bit of a case of "careful what you wish for" too with the new ground. A new magnificent mega stand costing between €6-7m will likely be the only thing ever built at the ground. It seems unlikely that Harps will be able to independently raise the money to build the two terraces and the other stand to run the other side of the pitch. If Harps get grants of around €6-7m, there'll probably be no likelihood of receiving more grants. Plus the likelihood is the capacity and facilities of the one stand will suffice and it will feel very flat as a ground. Apologies if I literally have all of that information wrong, which is very possible as an outsider.
    There would be no more Dept of Sport grants but we could work with Donegal CC etc to further develop the ground.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts

We are a disaster at building in this country. I really hope Dalymount gets built, and other regional projects too. But I will believe it when I see it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    I was told today that Horse and Dog racing have had investment worth €1 BILLION since 2001 due to the way taxation on gambling is distributed. Increased tax level and if possible that the money generated by a sport goes to the sport rather than the crazy level of money dished out to HRI, would put a dent in deficiency of football facilities. Now theres an angle to put to politicians in Donegal and elsewhere that could actually make a difference!

4. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    They built a lovely dog track in Lifford.. that is now shut because nobody much went. It would make you weep.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I was told today that Horse and Dog racing have had investment worth €1 BILLION since 2001 due to the way taxation on gambling is distributed. Increased tax level and if possible that the money generated by a sport goes to the sport rather than the crazy level of money dished out to HRI, would put a dent in deficiency of football facilities. Now theres an angle to put to politicians in Donegal and elsewhere that could actually make a difference!
    I wonder how much of that gambling was done on football? Surely we are entitled to a slice of the pie?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    30-40% of gambling in Ireland is football. In 2001 when Charlie McGreevy wrote this bill into law the betting landscape was completely different, it was mostly horse and dog racing so the betting tax went to those sports. Law needs to change now to reflect people's betting habits.
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...reyhound-fund/

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Northsider View Post
    I wonder how much of that gambling was done on football? Surely we are entitled to a slice of the pie?
    Same thing crossed my mind and being daft I assumed that firstly that tax intake all goes in to one big pot to pay the bills, not ringfenced. Or at least the figures must have been taxation on gambling transactions directly on horse racing gambling. I also want to know how the GAA havent had a meltdown as they usually have a finger on the pulse when it comes to potential funding!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    30-40% of gambling in Ireland is football. In 2001 when Charlie McGreevy wrote this bill into law the betting landscape was completely different, it was mostly horse and dog racing so the betting tax went to those sports. Law needs to change now to reflect people's betting habits.
    https://www.thesun.ie/sport/football...reyhound-fund/
    That must be where the info came from then so, though if I had known that it was from The Sun i'd have questioned the accuracy of figures initially - even over 20 years thats a lot of money invested and I dont see a whole lot of evidence of it. Nice facility in Dundalk and other egional facilities but nothing out of the ordinary, iirc a revamp The Curragh was costed around 100mil so where's the rest of it ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    It's in the article. It goes towards prize money, which filters down to individual owners and stables. It's an important revenue for agro business and means a lot to rural Ireland. We're the third largest exporters of thoroughbreds in the world and the biggest exporters of horses.
    The tax revenue should be divided based on how much is gambled on each sport, e.g., 35% football, 30% horse racing, 5% GAA, 2% Rugby, etc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    The article also suggests that a lot of that prize money is won by people who aren't tax resident here. So does it really filter down to Irish owners and stables, or to owners and stables all over the world? There's certainly better uses of taxpayers money than dishing it out to foreign horse owners as prize money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Well to encourage elite race meets on these shores prizemoney needs to be good and irrespective of who the owner is. But the thought of government finances subsidising the prizemoney for the flipping Aga Khan or Sheik whomever doesnt sit well at all, it seem a bit dubious tbh. Delaney will be kicking himself for not spotting this opportunity sooner to shore up his FAI sideliners. It's a potentially least worse case solution to assisting different sports now out of this pot of tax, considering the alternatives. Bump it a couple of % too. Im am baffled by having missed this over the years myself - just think how much further on in development that Irish sport would be if distribution had been adjusted even a decade ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    They built a lovely dog track in Lifford.. that is now shut because nobody much went. It would make you weep.
    I bet you could stick a nice football pitch in the middle of it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    That's an excellent facility that could be developed for a soccer club. I suppose the location in comparison to Ballybofey is the big drawback with it.
    A personal view, but I see a great danger for Shelbourne in leaving Tolka and moving to Dalymount.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    A personal view, but I see a great danger for Shelbourne in leaving Tolka and moving to Dalymount.
    Agreed. I'm not sure what other options they have at the moment but I can see why their fans seem to be mostly against it.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Charlie McCreevy when he approved that bill 20 years ago he was into the horse racing wasnt he? Its a scandal that problem with the betting funding with horseracing was only raised now and not back then.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
    I bet you could stick a nice football pitch in the middle of it
    Ballybofey's small enough as it is, without looking at somewhere barely a third of the size.

If Harps move anywhere it should be to Letterkenny, as that's where the population is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Ballybofey's small enough as it is, without looking at somewhere barely a third of the size.

If Harps move anywhere it should be to Letterkenny, as that's where the population is.
    No. I'd stop supporting Harps if they moved to Letterkenny. And I'm from Letterkenny.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Why would you stop supporting them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Why would you stop supporting them?
    Completely uprooting the club from the Finn Valley area, moving 20km down the road, and effectively discarding the history of the club just to be closer to a bigger population. No thanks.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

24. Thanks From: