Page 59 of 70 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1387

Thread: Shane Duffy D Norwich b.1992

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    it will likely do his international career little harm in truth. Kristoffer Ajer is Norway captain. Going back a fair few years Andreas Hinkel was a regular in Germany squads.
    don't think he featured in too many German squads during his time at celtic.

we can take players "boyhood dreams" with a big pinch of salt

Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    It must be hard when you're used to playing against strikers like Billy McKay and Nicky Clark and winning 3-0 week in, week out, switching into gear for a competitive International game where you are under the cosh against top class strikers.
    yes, many a scottish international team have been filled with celtic players, romping away with scottish leagues, that have performed dreadfully for over 20 years now
    Last edited by jbyrne; 31/08/2020 at 6:08 PM.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Lads its not an up and coming kid we are talking about here. Duffy can't get a game in the premiership, I doubt there is a queue of clubs lining up for him. He'll do a year at Celtic and either love it and want to stay or he probably find a Championship club. This is not going to ruin his career or anything of the sort.

3. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Lads its not an up and coming kid we are talking about here. Duffy can't get a game in the premiership, I doubt there is a queue of clubs lining up for him. He'll do a year at Celtic and either love it and want to stay or he probably find a Championship club. This is not going to ruin his career or anything of the sort.
    He needs to be playing anyway ! He could be a fella that loses match fitness when not playing.

Maybe he is having too much Social Life where he is !

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    don't think he featured in too many German squads during his time at celtic.
    He featured in every Germany squad in his first season at Celtic playing 4 times. The caps dried up then not because he played for Celtic rather because he got a series of horrible injuries and retired aged 30

Anyway there are so much more examples of international careers of players playing for nations as good as or better than ourselves not being ruined.

Even thinking only of European defenders and only of recently enough you have Boyata (Belgium) Majstorovic, Lustig (Sweden) Sviatchenko (Denmark) Loovens (Holland)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Year long loan to Celtic completed according to the RTÉ News.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Year long loan to Celtic completed according to the RTÉ News.
    It Could Work. Especially for a Year ! And the Year thats in it ( Possibly )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Most likely there was no genuine Premier League interest in him when it came down to it, he was maybe just on a few clubs long lists. I could definitely see him staying in Scotland longer than a year also, or maybe moving to the Championship in a year's time, there isn't much of a market in the EPL for 29/30 year olds playing in Scotland.

You can certainly argue that he's better off playing some kind of football with Celtic, regardless of the lower level given that they won't be playing Champions League, than not playing at all for Brighton, which seemed likely if he stayed there. But this is probably a sign that, in the next year or two, we will need to be phasing him out and probably bringing Dara O'Shea into the first team in his place, particularly as we are also likely to be evolving our gameplan away from Duffy's more traditional playing style.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Well it would obviously suit Brighton to loan him to Celtic, rather than relegation rivals like West Brom, West Ham, etc. so I wouldn't doubt that the interest was genuine/strong. Given that Celtic really wanted him, Duffy really wanted to go there and it was the best option for Brighton, there was only going to be one outcome. Agree that he'll either stay with Celtic or end up in the Championship though, possibly even with Brighton again.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Most likely there was no genuine Premier League interest in him when it came down to it.
    He could’ve went to West Ham. That interest was genuine and then some. They had significant talks with both player and Brighton. Personally I don’t think West Ham is a particularly appealing option for anyone atm.

Shane wanted this move and has pushed for it, more so arguably at the beginning than Celtic I believe who actually nearly made a mess of it with Brighton hence it taking so long to go through.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I actually think this is a really good move even if it's a drop in standard. The top half generally give good games. There are still tough games up there and I reckon he may score some goals too. Until such time as one team pulls clear each game up there is critical.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I actually think this is a really good move even if it's a drop in standard. The top half generally give good games. There are still tough games up there and I reckon he may score some goals too. Until such time as one team pulls clear each game up there is critical.
    Duffy could be very good for Celtic. He has had a few years under his belt in the Premier League. These are the standards Celtic should be aiming for.

Lets hope it works out for everybody.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    It's certainly a great move for Celtic, they need a more aggressive centre back and his relative weakness on the ball won't be exposed by most Scottish clubs as they defend so deep against Celtic when not in possession. He'll be able to stroll out from defence at his ease with nobody putting pressure on possession. But the step up in standard that we're going to need him to deal with, especially if we come through the playoffs and play at the finals next summer, is going to be huge.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Duffy playing the ball out always makes me nervous (despite it being a rarity for him). After each touch, he always looks like hes imminently going to need to lunge to win it back.

Random thoughts. Carry on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Duffy playing the ball out always makes me nervous (despite it being a rarity for him). After each touch, he always looks like hes imminently going to need to lunge to win it back.

Random thoughts. Carry on.
    I know what you mean. I used to get the same nervous feeling when the ball was passed back under pressure to Shay Given.
    But Duffy has become a more assured footballer in the last couple of seasons I think
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Debut, goal and a MOTM performance from Duffy today. That said, it was against Ross County.

Some step down from the Premier League...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    He'd nearly be as well playing training matches with Brighton reserves to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    He'd nearly be as well playing training matches with Brighton reserves to be honest.
    I'm glad he's not, all the same.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Hopefully the Glasgow derbies will maybe help keep him sharp, might be one or two decent games against Hibs or Aberdeen but the rest of the division looks absolutely terrible this season, even by the relatively low standards usually set by the SPL.

Europa League group stage qualification is essential for him to have any run of decent games, it's hard to describe just how bad the likes of Ross County are compared to what he'll be facing playing for Ireland.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Look, he's gone to the club he loves, it means a lot to him given his father's passing too, and he'll play with a smile on his face for a year. Yeah, it's obviously a lower standard but he's a Premier League standard defender - he's not going to turn to **** because he's not coming up against Raheem Sterling or Andy Carroll every week.

Page 59 of 70 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast