Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Denmark V Republic of Ireland - Copenhagen - 7th June 2019 - Euro 2020 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Given the short turn around be good to freshen things up for Monday. Doherty deserves some game time maybe swap out Coleman for a rest, bring o dowda in for Whelan let hourihane anchor, Robinson in for mcclean to play off the right and I'd keep Brady move him to left to give him game time and some confidence, then Hogan up top for mcgoldrick
    Hourihane is not a sitting midfielder.
    I’d have Shaun Williams in there to do that job but Mick obviously doesn’t rate him. Who else do we have as a holding CM?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    You'd hope James McCarthy will have a full preseason behind him in September

3. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    It is ridiculous that Doherty and Coleman can't both start.

Why must Mick always create unnecessary problems....

McCarthy has stated that he doesn't play players out of position unless he really has no choice so Doherty in a nightmare position re Ireland.It was mooted that he might put him (Doherty) in at left full instead of Stevens but that was dismissed as an option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    And a new club, where he'll be starting regularly.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I’d have Shaun Williams in there to do that job but Mick obviously doesn’t rate him. Who else do we have as a holding CM?
    Well the only way hourihane gets in the villa team is as a sitting midfielder an horing a midfield three with McGinn and grealish ahead of him. He kept Whelan, jedinak and byarnasson out of the villa team in playoff final all of whom are experienced holding midfielders st international level and world cup level in bjsrnsson and jedinak. .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Or a move to villa or the like

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    McCarthy has stated that he doesn't play players out of position unless he really has no choice so Doherty in a nightmare position re Ireland.It was mooted that he might put him (Doherty) in at left full instead of Stevens but that was dismissed as an option.
    He always played Duff on the right to make space for his good mate Kilbane...

Management is about finding a way to make things work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts

think mick played duffer up front much more than rm. mcateer, kelly and finnan played rm when duff was in the team more often than not

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Kilbane was really in the team to cover for Harte, Duff wouldn't have provided anything like that
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts

Up front 2002.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Dan Crowley. He is the most, or one of the most creative options we have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Well the only way hourihane gets in the villa team is as a sitting midfielder an horing a midfield three with McGinn and grealish ahead of him. He kept Whelan, jedinak and byarnasson out of the villa team in playoff final all of whom are experienced holding midfielders st international level and world cup level in bjsrnsson and jedinak. .
    Well touché

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Duffy's goal was the first time Denmark have conceded at home for almost 12 hours of football

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    https://www.offtheball.com/soccer/na...coleman-868638

It's so difficult that Doherty can't get in the team. The fact it's a gent like Coleman keeping him out makes it easier. And the fact that he had an absolutely cracking game yesterday adds to the easiness.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Dan Crowley. He is the most, or one of the most creative options we have
    But creative doesn't necessarily mean sitting, in fact it usually means someone who plays furtyher forward. Pirlo was a rare exception of a creative deep lying midfielder.

The obvious replacement for Whelan at this point is Josh Cullen imho.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    There's talk of playing Hourihane in a more defensive role.
    Denmark have probably reached their upper level, they might play a bit better or bit worse. We have the scope to improve especially in 3 or 4 positions in midfield, though not many options upfront.
    As well as Mick did to prepare the team for the Denmark game, you get the feeling he's not that interested in change, he'll be encouraged by the first 60 mins, the last 5 minutes and stand by the present incumbents.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    It is ridiculous that Doherty and Coleman can't both start.

Why must Mick always create unnecessary problems....
    Thats one of my gripes from his first stint in charge and these peculiar selections or misselections that he has end up costing us, which it did in some of the qualifications first time around. He always insists stubbornly on one or two players who shouldn't be near the team.

I also agree with Fixer we could have been 3-0 down at that point just like the home game, Eriksen pointing out that they weren't sharp enough. That's the crux of it.

Keogh was caught flat footed cos he had to change direction as he saw the ball and player come in. You stop things at source, stop the run, block the runner, get in front. Nothing more nothing less.

The game was interesting because we were more open, so it was much more entertaining than a MON game even if we couldn't hold onto the ball, but we didnt play any better in the last few minutes it was simply that we actually realised we needed to score and therefore pushed forward, previously it appeared we were happy for them to keep banging them wide and over the bar.

Been saying a long time now about Hendrick, and his position, a bit like McClean living off past glories or the odd goal here and there. I call it the delorean showreel. Pick out 3-5 minutes of about 500 mins of football and you can make anyone seem good and valuable. O'Dowda is certainly not our answer to the retaining possession, he hits it about 3 feet in front of him and against decent opposition that doesn't and hasnt cut the mustard. Next.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Last time I remember us needing to score against Denmark they picked us off at will.

Silly to say they could have been 3 up. They had 3 or 4 chances. Had one gone in the game may well have have changed and we'd have woken up. After we scored we actually kept on the attack. I think our players sensed the momentum had changed. I loved seeing that.

Paul's a great one for saying what doesn't work. I'm not sure I've ever heard him say what does work.

In general, I was quite relaxed during the first half. They had no more of the ball than I would have expected or that I would have been uncomfortable with. We had a terrible 10-15 mins in the second half, no disguising that. But we actually had 3-4 good chances to score. We didn't even get in their box 18 months ago! And we had a lot of nervous moments in the first 0-0 too.

Much better showing on Friday in my opinion.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 10/06/2019 at 12:50 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Been saying a long time now about Hendrick, and his position, a bit like McClean living off past glories or the odd goal here and there. I call it the delorean showreel. Pick out 3-5 minutes of about 500 mins of football and you can make anyone seem good and valuable. O'Dowda is certainly not our answer to the retaining possession, he hits it about 3 feet in front of him and against decent opposition that doesn't and hasnt cut the mustard. Next.
    Okay, so Hendrick not good enough. McClean not good enough. O'Dowda not good enough. Pretty sure you deemed Duffy not good enough too and even Coleman a penalty waiting to happen.

Who actually is good enough and should be playing?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    There's a line from the beginning of Fight Club that I think of when Paul makes one of his pronouncements - "On a long enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." (ie eventually, everyone dies)

Paul will make a prediction about a player, say that a defender looks like he'll eventually give away a penalty. Then, eventually, the player gives away a penalty, and Paul points to his post and says "see, I was right, and nobody else said it would happen". The thing is that most, if not all, defenders will eventually give away a penalty, so he might as well have said "he looks like he'll eventually pass to the goalkeeper" in terms of its insight, because eventually every defender will pass back to the goalkeeper, and nobody else said it would happen because we all know eventually it will happen, and we all know that each of us have watched football long enough to realise this.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

25. Thanks From:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast