PDA

View Full Version : Boylesports Sponsorship

Pages : [1] 2 3

Réiteoir
29/08/2008, 11:25 AM
Been hearing that it's due to be announced today that Boylesports are to become the new sponsors of the League of Ireland.

Interesting if true - would mean a lot more promotion of the League

pete
29/08/2008, 11:27 AM
Will Pats have to drop Paddy Power?

Will they be giving prizes of Sunderland shirts & trips to the north east of England?

superfrank
29/08/2008, 11:27 AM
They might even advertise the league on the Sunderland jerseys - now that'd be great!

holidaysong
29/08/2008, 11:30 AM
Would be a good sponsor alright. I'm annoyed that Boylesports don't sponsor Dundalk in some way seeing as how their HQ is based here and especially seeing as they sponsor Niall Quinn.

amaccann
29/08/2008, 11:32 AM
I dunno if it would be a good idea, it sounds like a bit of a gamble to me.

:D
Sorry, I'll get my coat.

Duggie
29/08/2008, 11:36 AM
I dunno if it would be a good idea, it sounds like a bit of a gamble to me.

:D
Sorry, I'll get my coat.

wha a joe gamble.......:D

celticV3
29/08/2008, 11:39 AM
Could be a good announcment,if boylesports were to sponsor the league they would certainly advertise it better than eircom to maxamise their investment.

gufcfan
29/08/2008, 11:39 AM
Much better than Eircom.

It's in Boylesport's interest for the Eircom League's image to improve and gain more exposure, positive exposure. Well done Delaney. I always said you were the man for the job... NOT.

So what are you's all gonna call it now. I'm stickin to the old reliable LOI.:D

Larry 'da' Wyse
29/08/2008, 11:58 AM
Much better than Eircom.

. Well done Delaney. I always said you were the man for the job... NOT.

So what are you's all gonna call it now. I'm stickin to the old reliable LOI.:D

The BS LOI ;-)

Boo_Boy
29/08/2008, 12:05 PM
The BS LOI ;-)

good one!:D

Pauro 76
29/08/2008, 12:11 PM
I reckon its a good auld sponsor. And if they plastered it across Sund-Oireland jerseys even better.

Mr A
29/08/2008, 12:12 PM
They might even advertise the league on the Sunderland jerseys - now that'd be great!

:D:D

That could actually be the most effective marketing of the league ever :cool:

LeixlipRed
29/08/2008, 12:13 PM
You stick LOI on a Sunderland jerseys and all their Irish fans will just think they've renamed the premier league

Dodge
29/08/2008, 12:14 PM
Will Pats have to drop Paddy Power?

Probably won't have to drop it, but it will certainly impact on us.

jinxy lilywhite
29/08/2008, 12:20 PM
They have to get rid of the "XXXX League of Ireland". That sentence just doesn't do it for me. If we lost the of Ireland bit and came up with something original that would instinctly stand out.

LeixlipRed
29/08/2008, 12:46 PM
If we lost the of Ireland bit

of England maybe?

pineapple stu
29/08/2008, 12:47 PM
Probably won't have to drop it, but it will certainly impact on us.
You had Smart Telecom when it was the eircom League though? Drogheda played in O2 Park too.

Dodge
29/08/2008, 12:55 PM
You had Smart Telecom when it was the eircom League though? Drogheda played in O2 Park too.

Was trouble with that too.

BTW wonder will matt Williams have a phone in now saying the league isn't official dead. Any chance of backpage headlines in the rags?

centre mid
29/08/2008, 1:02 PM
Ladbrokes have a sponsorship with Sligo aswell, check out their shorts next time.

Pauro 76
29/08/2008, 1:04 PM
With Boylesports sponsorign Sunderland, do they have betting shops in the UK? I've never seen one.

Sheridan
29/08/2008, 1:04 PM
Ladbrokes sponsor TG4's LOI coverage too.

centre mid
29/08/2008, 1:07 PM
They have a shop at the Stadium Of Light

Raheny Red
29/08/2008, 1:07 PM
Rovers have a deal with Willy Hills.

Pauro 76
29/08/2008, 1:15 PM
They have a shop at the Stadium Of Light

http://www.safc.com/home/?page_id=12493

Think that's their only store. Think they're trying to break through on the online market....

jinxy lilywhite
29/08/2008, 1:19 PM
of England maybe?

I hope you know what I mean.
When we call it the "League of Ireland" psychologically we are saying that our league is inferior to other leagues say the "Bank Of Scotland Premiership" or the "Barclays Premiership". Though this maybe true in many cases we still do have a good product that can be sold to general public as opposed to Irish football supporters buying season tickets for Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Celtic, etc.
I think if we lost the "of Ireland" and just said per se the "Eircom(or whoever sponsors the league next season) Premiership" or the "Eire League" we would have a better product to sell to the people who don't go the games.
No matter who has sponsored the league that effin sentence is always on the end of it and it needs to go. I hold my theory (which is probably going to be torn to shreads) to the fact that as soon as LOI is mention to someone who has never attended a game the phrase "Not that f**kin sh1te again" always is spat back at you.

Sheridan
29/08/2008, 1:22 PM
The "of Ireland" was only appended to the "eircom League" last year. League of Ireland will always be a generic term for the competition regardless of its official title. It's called that because the shower up North lay claim to the title Irish League.

holidaysong
29/08/2008, 1:23 PM
With Boylesports sponsorign Sunderland, do they have betting shops in the UK? I've never seen one.

There is one in Armagh. ;)

Duggie
29/08/2008, 1:24 PM
lets call it Seria "B" - it would be like the italians never existed.....

holidaysong
29/08/2008, 1:25 PM
On the LOI naming debate - hopefully now people will call it the League of Ireland and not the Boylesports League.. The term 'Eircom League' always annoyed me a bit - why give the sponsor name such prominance? You don't hear people going around saying the Barclays Premiership all the time.

LeixlipRed
29/08/2008, 1:26 PM
I hope you know what I mean.
When we call it the "League of Ireland" psychologically we are saying that our league is inferior to other leagues say the "Bank Of Scotland Premiership" or the "Barclays Premiership". Though this maybe true in many cases we still do have a good product that can be sold to general public as opposed to Irish football supporters buying season tickets for Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Celtic, etc.
I think if we lost the "of Ireland" and just said per se the "Eircom(or whoever sponsors the league next season) Premiership" or the "Eire League" we would have a better product to sell to the people who don't go the games.
No matter who has sponsored the league that effin sentence is always on the end of it and it needs to go. I hold my theory (which is probably going to be torn to shreads) to the fact that as soon as LOI is mention to someone who has never attended a game the phrase "Not that f**kin sh1te again" always is spat back at you.

I realised what you meant. I was just making a joke :)

jinxy lilywhite
29/08/2008, 1:28 PM
You see we don't need the Ireland or Irish because you want to say to the people that there is no other league out there than ours. We have our own language that we could use to rebrand the league to something original that no other league can take away from us. I'm probably clutching at straws here but sure f**k it.

LeixlipRed
29/08/2008, 1:32 PM
Don't think using a dead language to rebrand the league is going to have any impact.

jinxy lilywhite
29/08/2008, 1:39 PM
Better than nothing and if it f**ks up then at least we can say well we tried it.
Irish maybe a dead language but in some way it is making a resurgance especially phrases. Just a pity the schools shoved it down our throats all those years but now I wish I knew more than "conas a ta tu?"

EalingGreen
29/08/2008, 1:59 PM
The "of Ireland" was only appended to the "eircom League" last year. League of Ireland will always be a generic term for the competition regardless of its official title. It's called that because the shower up North lay claim to the title Irish League.

Founded in Belfast in 1890, The Irish Football League is the second oldest football League in the world.

In succeding years, it began to spread its membership beyond its origins in Belfast (the traditional home of football in Ireland), to cover other parts of Ireland, including Dublin, when Bohemians joined (1903), followed by Shelbourne (1904).

Following political partition in 1921, these latter two clubs broke away and formed a separate League of Ireland, along with six other Dublin clubs.

So there's no "lay claim" about it; the title of "Irish League" is and always was the property of "the shower up North", as you so charmingly put it. :rolleyes:

"And if
You know
Your History
It's enough to make your Heart go
Woaaaaaaaaaah"

Nesta99
29/08/2008, 2:03 PM
Don't think using a dead language to rebrand the league is going to have any impact.

:eek: Dead langauge??? I use it every day and i am far from dead nor are the 23 children that i teach in my Gaelscoil! 'Boylesports Premier League' sounds good and doesnt reek of inferiority complex as Jinxy is saying.

Nesta99
29/08/2008, 2:05 PM
"And if
You know
Your History
It's enough to make your Heart go
Woaaaaaaaaaah"

Touché:cool: lol

Sheridan
29/08/2008, 2:09 PM
Meh. You'd still be calling your national team Ireland if you thought you could get away with it. Nation states take precedence over provinces as far as I'm concerned.

jinxy lilywhite
29/08/2008, 2:24 PM
I agree with our Northern Neighbour in relation to this. The FAI broke away from the IFA so the FAI at the time tried to distinguish the difference our league for various reason and I'm not going off topic into why the break up happened. The Northern league can call itself whatever it wants or lay claim to "Irish".
This is where we can be different though and use what is unique in Ireland to our benefit and where the people of the south and our ex-pats abroad can have a proud affiliation with the league instead of the embarrassment of coverage that the league now gets. An AIPL is not the answer because the basis of their arguement is to incl. linfield and glentoran and all will be rosy in the garden of Irish Football in general but the issues of self sustainablilty of clubs is not being addressed.

:eek: Dead langauge??? I use it every day and i am far from dead nor are the 23 children that i teach in my Gaelscoil!

Hope I didn't offend you by claiming schools shoved Irish down our/my throats in my wasted youth

BTW: If the Boylesports thing is true is this the FAI giving two fingers to Drury (Director of Paddy Power) and P1 or Boylesports being a thorn in their side

EalingGreen
29/08/2008, 2:26 PM
Meh. You'd still be calling your national team Ireland if you thought you could get away with it.

We could get away with it. When FIFA arbitrated on this very issue in 1950, they declared that for World Cup matches, the FAI's representative team must be called "Republic of Ireland" and the IFA's team "Northern Ireland" (with this arrangement subsequently being extended to the European Nations Cup/Championship).

However, as the original Football Association on the island, FIFA also permitted the IFA to continue using the title "Ireland" for all non WC/EC matches, such as the British Championship and friendlies.

This we did for another 20-odd years, until we voluntarily and unilaterally decided to rename ourselves "Northern Ireland" for all games.

Nation states take precedence over provinces as far as I'm concerned.
Good job it's not down to you, then, isn't it? :rolleyes:

P.S. Has your heart gone "Whoooooooooooooa" yet, or is your state of ignorance still keeping it ticking along at an idle rate? ;)

Sheridan
29/08/2008, 2:31 PM
Nah, I just don't give a toss about this Nordie boll0cks. No-one here does. So go looking for reasons to be offended somewhere else and let us get on with our thread, eh.

LeixlipRed
29/08/2008, 2:38 PM
:eek: Dead langauge??? I use it every day and i am far from dead nor are the 23 children that i teach in my Gaelscoil! 'Boylesports Premier League' sounds good and doesnt reek of inferiority complex as Jinxy is saying.

23 kids who won't speak a word of it outside of school or after they finish school. Keep dreaming though

jinxy lilywhite
29/08/2008, 2:45 PM
We could get away with it. When FIFA arbitrated on this very issue in 1950, they declared that for World Cup matches, the FAI's representative team must be called "Republic of Ireland" and the IFA's team "Northern Ireland" (with this arrangement subsequently being extended to the European Nations Cup/Championship).

However, as the original Football Association on the island, FIFA also permitted the IFA to continue using the title "Ireland" for all non WC/EC matches, such as the British Championship and friendlies.

This we did for another 20-odd years, until we voluntarily and unilaterally decided to rename ourselves "Northern Ireland" for all games.

Good job it's not down to you, then, isn't it? :rolleyes:

P.S. Has your heart gone "Whoooooooooooooa" yet, or is your state of ignorance still keeping it ticking along at an idle rate? ;)

Nah, I just don't give a toss about this Nordie boll0cks. No-one here does. So go looking for reasons to be offended somewhere else and let us get on with our thread, eh.

FFS lads give it a rest will ya. It's the 21st Century not the 20th

Nesta99
29/08/2008, 2:52 PM
Hope I didn't offend you by claiming schools shoved Irish down our/my throats in my wasted youth

Not at all, great thing bout teaching Irish in a Gealscoil is that most of the kids are doing the language voluntarily so no resentment at teaching a 'pointless' subject.

Sheridan your response to ealing re nation state etc was amusing...now quit while ahead as your last response is making you out to be a totally ignorant prat!

EalingGreen
29/08/2008, 2:54 PM
Nah, I just don't give a toss about this Nordie boll0cks.
If you don't "give a toss", then why did you feel compelled to introduce "It's called that because the shower up North lay claim to the title Irish League" or "Meh. You'd still be calling your national team Ireland if you thought you could get away with it" or "Nation states take precedence over provinces as far as I'm concerned" into the discussion? :eek:

No-one here does.
Really? Care to explain the separate section dealing with the Irish League, or the threads covering e.g. the proposed new All-Ireland league, or Setanta Cup. Not to mention all the Derry City fans who post on this Board? :rolleyes:

So go looking for reasons to be offended somewhere else
I'm not in the least offended, even by someone who clearly considers that abject ignorance (or worse) is no bar to his spouting his opinions for all to hear. Amused perhaps.

and let us get on with our thread, eh.
I was quite happy to go on merely browsing this thread out of general interest, until "someone" started taking it off-topic, to an area where I have a particular interest (and some small knowledge).

"We don't care if we win lose or draw,
Damn the hair do we care..."

EalingGreen
29/08/2008, 3:01 PM
FFS lads give it a rest will ya. It's the 21st Century not the 20th
Fair enough, JL.
In future, I shall try to restrict myself solely to correcting factual inaccuracies, without further comment.
After all, taking the p1ss out of Sheridan is too easy... ;)

amaccann
29/08/2008, 3:07 PM
6 Counties arguments has NOTHING to do with this topic. "Factual Inaccuracies" be damned. Yeesh.

Back on topic - if this proves to be true, it could be another great boon for the league. Though 5 quid says it still won't make the headlines.

Nesta99
29/08/2008, 3:10 PM
23 kids who won't speak a word of it outside of school or after they finish school. Keep dreaming though

Are you some deity that can predict what every one of the students will or wont do in their future lives...such arrogance! Im a realist and i as a product of the Irish education system recognises its failings, in particular the way in which it teaches languages. I also know that Irish has limited use and usage, doesnt mean that i would didmiss it and condemn it to be forgotten aspect of our unique national character(one of the better ones as opposed to things like anglophobia, obsession with our superhuman ablity to hold our drink, general xenophopia, selective hypocricsy ie anglophobes referring to english football teams as we, snide tendency to didmiss anything 'Nordie' etc)

Apologies for bing off topic but people who present opinion as fact show limited capacity for constructive comment

Titan
29/08/2008, 3:17 PM
Doesnt look like they will be the title sponsor. more like an associate sponsor

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3498

Nesta99
29/08/2008, 3:28 PM
Pity, just falls short of what could have been valuable and credible branding of the league

jinxy lilywhite
29/08/2008, 3:46 PM
Fair enough, JL.
In future, I shall try to restrict myself solely to correcting factual inaccuracies, without further comment.
After all, taking the p1ss out of Sheridan is too easy... ;)

No its alright. All of us are entitled to our opinions and certainly entitled to defend ones comments and views.

Doesnt look like they will be the title sponsor. more like an associate sponsor

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3498

No it doesn't but the potential of this could be good. People backing on everything thats Irish football in the summer could generate further interest from beyond our shores but people who like a flutter could actually attend games to see what teams are like and thus increase attendences. Highly naive and optimistic but you never know. I hope the FAI have done their maths on this and have got a good deal for Irish Football in general.