PDA

View Full Version : Irish Liverpool supporters - Sickening

Pages : [1] 2

pateen
28/08/2008, 3:57 PM
I have to say my stomach was sick to read this.
Given whats going on with Cork City and all the other clubs around the country, its depressing to read this.

Taken from Todays Indo

"Before that, however, came a statement from the Irish wing of the Share Liverpool FC campaign, an initiative that is looking to take over the club from the current owners.
Apparently, 3,000 Irish fans are willing to fork out €6,300 each for the plan, which, notwithstanding the love for the Anfield club that exists in these parts, is a frustrating statistic. Fernando Torres and company are unlikely to be queuing down at the dole office in the near future.
The national co-ordinator of the Share Liverpool FC's Irish venture is former FAI CEO Bernard O'Byrne, an old foe of Delaney's.
As always in the incestuous world of the game here, there's a complicated, historical context. At executive level, the same old characters keep popping up again and again. Such nuances will matter little to those who lost their livelihood yesterday, or those that will suffer the same fate in the weeks and months ahead even if they don't know it yet."

Bohemian1890
28/08/2008, 4:41 PM
So what its nothing we dont know stupid thread sure Aldridge the English man that played for Ireland was over a while ago looking for people to sign up.

LeixlipRed
28/08/2008, 4:44 PM
Just think of all the children in Finglas, Ballymun, Tallaght,etc, who'll never be fed or dressed again because Daddy spent 7k borrowed from a Lithuanian gangster to prop up a foreign football club. Very sad really

celticV3
28/08/2008, 8:24 PM
seriously though if that money was invested domestically? What a real shame, why do people feel the need that thiers lives are so dour and boring that they msut invest their money and lives into teams they have no connection with just so they can buy into what they see as automatic success.

sligofan4ever
28/08/2008, 8:27 PM
You just have to wonder how many liverpool fans from Cork are sending over money when really they should be helping their own club who REALLY could do with the money.

5ForKeeps
28/08/2008, 8:50 PM
To call it sickening is over the top. People can do with their money what they like. As a Liverpool supporter it is an interesting group that has been setup to get the club back into the hands of the fans and should be applauded. It is a supporters trust under a different entity. Some supporters of Eircom League clubs should have a look into what the ShareLFC intiative is about.

Not all Irish football fans support Eircom League clubs it is a fact. If it was the case Cork City would be getting sell out crowds every week and wouldn't be in the situation they currently find themselves in. Have Cork City supporters setup a supporter trust to buy back the club into their hands if they love the club that much just like what Irish Liverpool supporters want to do with their money as they the parasites that currently run the club.

Bohemian1890
28/08/2008, 8:57 PM
To call it sickening is over the top. People can do with their money what they like. As a Liverpool supporter it is an interesting group that has been setup to get the club back into the hands of the fans and should be applauded. It is a supporters trust under a different entity. Some supporters of Eircom League clubs should have a look into what the ShareLFC intiative is about.

Not all Irish football fans support Eircom League clubs it is a fact. If it was the case Cork City would be getting sell out crowds every week and wouldn't be in the situation they currently find themselves in. Have Cork City supporters setup a supporter trust to buy back the club into their hands if they love the club that much just like what Irish Liverpool supporters want to do with their money as they the parasites that currently run the club.
Yet sure they are parasites Liverpool fans welcomed them with open arms :rolleyes:then when they decided to do what they wanted with their money they had a fit.I mean to call them parasites is way over the top.People can do with their money what they like.

thedoyler
28/08/2008, 9:03 PM
To be honest this sort of behaviour doesnt surprise me. No Liverpool fans i know (and i know upwards of 20) attend or follow the league and are generally the most cynical and snide with their comments. Perhaps its just common to this area of the world but irish liverpool fans seem to scoff on the league from their high armchair. Utterly dismissive and non-believing that once their club at the beginning would have been worse than current eircom league sides. Everything has to start somewhere, if people dont give our own football a chance progression is impossible.

5ForKeeps
28/08/2008, 9:22 PM
To be honest this sort of behaviour doesnt surprise me. No Liverpool fans i know (and i know upwards of 20) attend or follow the league and are generally the most cynical and snide with their comments. Perhaps its just common to this area of the world but irish liverpool fans seem to scoff on the league from their high armchair. Utterly dismissive and non-believing that once their club at the beginning would have been worse than current eircom league sides. Everything has to start somewhere, if people dont give our own football a chance progression is impossible.

Is that a snipe at me? I go to Wexford Youths games as much as I can. Travelling up from Waterford to Wexford is an expensive trip but worth it. Love going to the matches as I have a genuine passion for Wexford as much as I have for Liverpool.

Yet sure they are parasites Liverpool fans welcomed them with open arms :rolleyes:then when they decided to do what they wanted with their money they had a fit.I mean to call them parasites is way over the top.People can do with their money what they like.

More than just the money, they dragged the clubs name through dirt and used the fans as pawns in there little game against Benitez. No fan of any club if they love the club as much as they do would not stand for what went on. We welcomed them with open arms of course nobody would have thought that would happen in the 18 months ahead.
-----------------------------------------------------

Bohemian1890
28/08/2008, 9:25 PM
Is that a snipe at me? I go to Wexford Youths games as much as I can. Travelling up from Waterford to Wexford is an expensive trip but worth it. Love going to the matches as I have a genuine passion for Wexford as much as I have for Liverpool.

More than just the money, they dragged the clubs name through dirt and used the fans as pawns in there little game against Benitez. No fan of any club if they love the club as much as they do would not stand for what went on. We welcomed them with open arms of course nobody would have thought that would happen in the 18 months ahead.
-----------------------------------------------------
Yea sure as everyone knows they get involved for the love of the club liverpool fans must be idiots:o

thedoyler
28/08/2008, 9:30 PM
[QUOTE=5ForKeeps;1009224]Is that a snipe at me? I go to Wexford Youths games as much as I can. Travelling up from Waterford to Wexford is an expensive trip but worth it. Love going to the matches as I have a genuine passion for Wexford as much as I have for Liverpool.

No not at all mate! I didnt read any replies apart from the first post, red rag to a bull have had years of liverpool 'fans' who have never been to a liverpool game apart from someone's testimonial at lansdowne talking down the league and discouraging people from trying it as its apparently 'uncool' to follow our own league! Rant at friends no offence meant at all.

Demoshield
28/08/2008, 9:41 PM

Personally I don't care what team anyone supports or what the spend their money on, but from talking to English supporters of English teams,who come over to Ireland to see their teams play in pre season, Irish supporters of English teams are dispised by the majority of supporters in England. The see them as blow ins going over and taking tickets from "real fans" for all the glamour games. They nearly p1ssed themselvels when the heard Irish people were donataing money to the ShareLFC.

MainManRam
28/08/2008, 9:48 PM
If you find it so shocking that liverpool fans who have a passion for there club are sending money to save the club from idiots why dont you set up=
"SHARE CORK CITY FC"
And get city fans to give 3000 grand so that Joe Gamble can get a weeks wages. Do you think Joe Gamble gives a sh*t if you or me lose or job tomorrow so don't bother playin that card:mad:

Bohemian1890
28/08/2008, 10:14 PM
If you find it so shocking that liverpool fans who have a passion for there club are sending money to save the club from idiots why dont you set up=
"SHARE CORK CITY FC"
And get city fans to give 3000 grand so that Joe Gamble can get a weeks wages. Do you think Joe Gamble gives a sh*t if you or me lose or job tomorrow so don't bother playin that card:mad:

Gerrard didnt care when he had his autobiography written by the same people who own the Sun??

stamullendrog
28/08/2008, 10:18 PM

hi my name is robert.im a drogheda united regular and a semi regular traveller to liverpool games also,pleased to meet you doyler.now you know at least one liverpool fan who attends and follows an eircom league team

cheifo
28/08/2008, 10:27 PM
I can live with people having an association with Liverpool or whoever if they also turn up and support their local side.
It is the people who consider themselves proud to be Irish but sneer at LOI who I have a problem with.

Patrick Dunne
28/08/2008, 10:40 PM
It should be bizarre that a former CEO of the FAI, and of a Premier Division club (O'Byrne) is leading this initiative.

Imagine the media backlash in the UK if someone like Graham Kelly or Brian Barwick started a Share Real Madrid FC campaign !

Bohemian1890
28/08/2008, 10:45 PM
It should be bizarre that a former CEO of the FAI, and of a Premier Division club (O'Byrne) is leading this initiative.

Imagine the media backlash in the UK if someone like Graham Kelly or Brian Barwick started a Share Real Madrid FC campaign !
and Ireland

stann
28/08/2008, 11:48 PM

Don't want to get dragged into this pointless argument but this is a pretty daft generalisation. Off the top of my head there are three regular posters on here, apart from myself, that I know are also Liverpool fans (and I know very few of the foot membership) and that doesn't include the couple more that have replied above. I would also know easily a dozen Blues fans who don't post here that are also Liverpool fans. It must just be common to your area of Ireland. :D

thischarmingman
29/08/2008, 12:16 AM
hi my name is robert.im a drogheda united regular...

Well done, admitting it is the hardest part.

DmanDmythDledge
29/08/2008, 1:04 AM
Have Cork City supporters setup a supporter trust to buy back the club into their hands if they love the club that much just like what Irish Liverpool supporters want to do with their money as they the parasites that currently run the club.
That's actually exactly what they are doing.

pateen
29/08/2008, 8:44 AM
That's actually exactly what they are doing.

They are doing it, its called FORAS.

I have nothing against people following english teams, its just disapointing to large numbers with large sums of money pumping it into an english club and its sickening to see Bernard O Byrne behind it all.

Irish football,
where's the irish football in that :eek:

smasher
29/08/2008, 8:49 AM
So what its nothing we dont know stupid thread sure Aldridge the English man that played for Ireland was over a while ago looking for people to sign up.

Has anybody noticed how bad the grammar and punctuation of people in general and anti-Liverpool fans, in particular, is on this site?

placid casual
29/08/2008, 9:56 AM
Has anybody noticed how bad the grammar and punctuation of people in general and anti-Liverpool fans, in particular, is on this site?

tell the truth:you spent ages writing this and re-reading it so that there were no mistakes.:)

As for the human sludge who bye and large seem to follow liverpool only:
stanley park is never gonna get built . hows the grammar there ?

back of the net
29/08/2008, 10:00 AM
this is a ridiculous thread

i mean we all know that these things go on!!!

smasher
29/08/2008, 10:25 AM
tell the truth:you spent ages writing this and re-reading it so that there were no mistakes.:)

As for the human sludge who bye and large seem to follow liverpool only:
stanley park is never gonna get built . hows the grammar there ?

All sentences start with a capital letter.

Straightstory
29/08/2008, 11:03 AM
this is a ridiculous thread

i mean we all know that these things go on!!!

It's still a mad thing to happen, though. Imagine what local clubs could achieve if Irish people like these supported them instead of English teams. Really weird, but kind of typical. We're a crazy country.

back of the net
29/08/2008, 11:23 AM
It's still a mad thing to happen, though. Imagine what local clubs could achieve if Irish people like these supported them instead of English teams. Really weird, but kind of typical. We're a crazy country.

agree with ya completely mate - but its been going on for a long time now

CuanaD
29/08/2008, 11:33 AM
3,000 x 6,300 = €18,900,000

Invest that in the eLOI - imagine the difference that would make!

bennocelt
29/08/2008, 12:57 PM
Irish supporters are fickle

I used to "support" Celtic, till I saw the light. Back then people would laugh at you for following the Bhoys. Jesus i remember when they came fourth in the league. yes imagine fourth!!! And Brady and his attempt at management

With a bit of success that celtic has had, now look at all their great fans in Ireland (jump on the bandwagon)

Just imagine the effects a good Euro run would have on a LOI team. Im sure some people will be looking at St Pats run and questioning why they follow a British team - or at least i hope so...........

elroy
29/08/2008, 1:20 PM

I used to "support" Celtic, till I saw the light. Back then people would laugh at you for following the Bhoys. Jesus i remember when they came fourth in the league. yes imagine fourth!!! And Brady and his attempt at management

With a bit of success that celtic has had, now look at all their great fans in Ireland (jump on the bandwagon)

Just imagine the effects a good Euro run would have on a LOI team. Im sure some people will be looking at St Pats run and questioning why they follow a British team - or at least i hope so...........

Unfortunately im not so sure this is true, i think a major breakthrough is needed for that ie CL Group or UEFA group stages. I have no problem with Irish people supporting english/foreign clubs if they at least show an interest in Irish clubs as well. It drives me mad when EPL followers who havent a clue about the EL just dismiss it as useless. I live with two such individuals, there i was last night glued to the game on the radio and they couldnt care less, these are the same lads that would sit down and watch wigan and fulham if it was on sky......drives me mad. The main reason I follow the EPL is to monitor the progress of the Irish lads. I think for the majority to take notice and respect the EL we need a major breakthrough to the group stages...........i wonder what the attendance would be if Pats had drawn villa for example

trevy
29/08/2008, 4:49 PM
I'm another Liverpool fan The doyler who supports the Eircom League. I wouldn't put my money into the sharelLiverpool thing though. Then again its hardly Liverpool fans fault eircom league clubs spend ridiculous money on players wages and go full time when they can't afford it.

CharlesThompson
29/08/2008, 5:05 PM
I'm another Liverpool fan The doyler who supports the Eircom League. I wouldn't put my money into the sharelLiverpool thing though. Then again its hardly Liverpool fans fault eircom league clubs spend ridiculous money on players wages and go full time when they can't afford it.

Fair play to you for all that, but the second part of your post is IMO a complete misnomer [sp?]. Not that it's right or anything, but football clubs the world over spend too much money on players wages. This is a simple fact. I cannot understand the intensity of the coverage (after they get caught out) concerning the clubs here who run their football clubs corruptly/without due diligence/fraudulently - whatever spin you want to put on it and I include Bohs in that. You would swear that it was a new thing or even that Ireland are the only country where it happens.

But just look at clubs like Leeds United. When they got 'done' for their own irregularities it was all sadness and tears in the general media, 'how a once great club could fall from grace, blah blah'. They lose a playoff to get out of the third division and the media are falling over themselves again. Like Arkaga, Leeds troubles came about because of a man called Peter Ridsdale living the dream and gambling on success. Ego. England is full of them. Go down through the list of clubs there and you will see a plethora of similar stories.

Likewise the continent. Not 3 years ago the mighty Juventus were relegated and Milan missed out by the skin of there teeth, though had to start their next season with a massive points deduction. Fiorentina. Marseilles. Pick any club from Eastern Europe and you'll find corruption not too far from their door.

Corks situation, Rovers before them, Shelbourne, Cobh, Sligo, Bohs, Waterford, etc. etc. are not unique and they are certainly not arguments as to not support clubs in this country. By all means follow Liverpool (not you necessarily Trevy) but for Gods sake take a bloody interest in the local sides.

Pat's haven't achieved a huge amount in the greater scheme of things, but the results in Europe (and I include Drogheda's 'moral victory' over Dynamo Kiev) over the last number of years PROVE that when it comes to our clubs competing at this level that we do stand a chance and that our league is not as bad as the preverbial barstool brigade would have you believe.

End of rant. (for the mo,..)

stamullendrog
29/08/2008, 10:55 PM
We're a crazy country.

and that my friends should be the end of this thread

cheifo
29/08/2008, 11:16 PM
We are a crazy bunch.:)My favourite gem from the barstoolers is when they smugly tell us that they hope England don't win the WC because "We would never hear the end of it".

Where would we never hear the end of it?On RTE? On MNS? No ,on SKY and in the Sun and other English sports media they are glued to
If they won the WC and the celebrations and constant references annoy you so much you could always switch channel.
You cannot make anothers countries league and media your entire Sporting and cultural focus, then shudder at the thought of them actually celebrating, as they would be entitled to, in THEIR OWN Newspapers and Broadcast outlets.

I go to EL games so I can say I don't want them to win anything.:p

Boh_So_Good
29/08/2008, 11:43 PM

Like the Orientals. They are all thick when it comes to soccer, but not in the same way the Oirish ones are. They are way less pathetic. I mean, could you imagine the leader of say South Korea going to support a North Korean side playing against one from his hometown like Bertie did when Pimp Quinn brought Sunderland to Dalymount. This being the same Bertie an "instinctual patriot" who refused to enter a UK government office because there was a painting of Cromwell on the wall.

I agree people can spend their money how they like, but I would wager to the man they are in their minds sending Liverpool their money as an act of Irish patriotic duty to save what is an "Irish" club to them.

You really could'nt make this sh*t up if you tried. And people think my Identity Crisis FC thread is satire.

Billy Lord
30/08/2008, 1:14 AM

So that's why Irish people support Liverpool rather than their own clubs! Cheers for that insight. :rolleyes:

gspain
30/08/2008, 7:10 AM
Unfortunately people can spend their own money in this if they wish.

However it just shows the opportunity should we have our clubs reaching the group stages of the champions league.

I mean you don't see rugby fans supporting Wasps or Leicester. Irish boxing fans were weird too during the Olympics. they all supported the local guys even when boxing somebody from SUNDERLAND.

CuanaD
30/08/2008, 8:01 AM
So, turn this around - how many of us here would honestly agree today to band together & each invest €6,300 in a eLOI club?

geezer
30/08/2008, 8:01 AM
Just think of all the children in Finglas, Ballymun, Tallaght,etc, who'll never be fed or dressed again because Daddy spent 7k borrowed from a Lithuanian gangster to prop up a foreign football club. Very sad really

what kind of rubbish is this, pure irish snobbery from middle class kildare of all places.

SUB of the day
30/08/2008, 8:24 AM
My teams are City ,Celtic and UTD, in that order.As a football fan you develop a favourite team in any league you become familiar with.Barca and Juve would be "my teams" in their respective leagues.If City play any of the above, its a nobrainer, City everytime.When Celtic play UTD in the Champions league, I'm in the green corner.When its Manchester V Liverpool, I'm with the champions.However, despite getting immense enjoyment from watching these games on tv, NOTHING comes close to being in Turners Cross with the shed in full voice.Celebrating a goal by your local team, in your local ground is real .:ball:

Charles Bronson
30/08/2008, 10:48 AM
This is what is wrong with irish football "fans" http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6h7KHtyI-5c at 1:21,lad rolls up a drogs jersey to reveal a liverpool tattoo on Norwegen telly.
Lets suppose for a second there was a rapid vienna fan interviewed on the irish news who rolls up his jersey to reveal a Bayern Munich tattoo.
Would you be a little confused? I would.

srfc1928
30/08/2008, 10:57 AM
:o.......

SUB of the day
30/08/2008, 11:08 AM
This is what is wrong with irish football "fans" http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=6h7KHtyI-5c at 1:21,lad rolls up a drogs jersey to reveal a liverpool tattoo on Norwegen telly.
Lets suppose for a second there was a rapid vienna fan interviewed on the irish news who rolls up his jersey to reveal a Bayern Munich tattoo.
Would you be a little confused? I would.

The lad was in Norway supporting the Drogs,obviously he also supports a foreign team, in this case Liverpool, personally, I don't see a problem.

srfc1928
30/08/2008, 11:17 AM
The lad was in Norway supporting the Drogs,obviously he also supports a foreign team, in this case Liverpool, personally, I don't see a problem.
I dont follow an english team myself
but yeah fair play to him for going to follow his local side.
i dont see a problem with people supporting foreign teams so long as they support their own aswell. it was a little bit cringe worthy though.

brianw82
30/08/2008, 11:24 AM
You can change between a Drogs and Liverpool jersey if you want. You can't just 'change' a tattoo. A tattoo generally symbolises an undying love for something. In this case, it says to me that this guy loves Liverpool more than Drogheda.

Duffman
30/08/2008, 11:41 AM
It doesn't look like a real tattoo anyways, perhaps a seven year old drew it on with markers. Was it just me or did it sound like they were singing "We're on drugs"?:D

SUB of the day
30/08/2008, 11:47 AM
would be if Drogs were to face Liverpool in Europe.In Scandinavia its common to see locals cheering for British teams, in opposition to their local sides, weird , but true.I can't get my hear around that, but I'm 100% sure the same scene would be replicated in Ireland.

LeixlipRed
30/08/2008, 1:24 PM
I can imagine your average Norwegian Joe sitting at home watching that and after seeing that fool reveal his tattoo, heavily scratching his head and reaching for an atlas just to check what countries Drogheda and Liverpool are and having it confirmed feeling very, very confused.

Karl Phillips
30/08/2008, 8:01 PM

Remember Bertie the great ( he won loads of money at the races) is he not a Manure fan I mean you could not make this stuff up infacta.