PDA

View Full Version : new look midfield

Beanie
17/09/2003, 2:07 PM
Does anyone ou there think that liam Miller Sean Thornton and Andy Reid will form part of the Irish Midfield by 2004, or will it remain as sterile as it is at present

Greenbod
17/09/2003, 2:31 PM
I think all three will get a full cap sometime during 2004 or before.

tiktok
17/09/2003, 3:57 PM
Originally posted by Greenbod
I think all three will get a full cap sometime during 2004 or before.

I'd agree, although it depends on whether Kerr will want to take them to Portugal or not, definitely should be in his plans for the 2006 WC qualifiers.

liamon
17/09/2003, 4:23 PM
I think Miller might get to break into the side, but I think the other 2 will have to wait til after Portugal. Kerr sin't one for taking chances, so he's not going to change things too much.

If we don't qualify, then they might get brought in earlier.

NigeSausagepump
17/09/2003, 4:46 PM
Reid, Miller and Tommy Butler looked head and shoulders above everyone else on the team in the recent U-21 game against Russia and a Sunderland supporting mate claims that Healy will struggle to break into their team as long as Thornton keeps playing like he is at the moment.

If Lee Carsley, Mark Kinsella, Alan Quinn and Steven Reid (in current form) can all get into the squad, there should be scope for the aforementioned foursome to muscle in over the next year or so.

patsh
17/09/2003, 5:56 PM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
If Lee Carsley ............. can ... get into the squad.
If Carsley can get in, it's time for a recall for Paddy Mulligan!:rolleyes:

Condex
17/09/2003, 5:57 PM
Its quite worrying for the game in Switzerland.

Holland didn't play well against united.
Kinsella can't make it into the Villa team.

The first start Healey makes for Sunderland and they get hammered. don't know why he was starting for Ireland and on the Sunderland bench.

The Swiss will walk through what-ever two of the above are selected for the game.

tiktok
17/09/2003, 6:29 PM
Delap played 55 min for the southampton reserves yesterday, I know someone always drags him into the debate but we shouldn't forget about him.

for the record i thought Holland was quite good against Russia, I think Healy let him down as a partner that particular day. I think he's going to start, the question is with who.

Condex
17/09/2003, 8:48 PM
I watched Delap in a game against some team in Lansdowne road
he's got a very lazy style, and was pretty cra*p. So I don't think hes the answer.

Front watching the Inter game tonight the type of player we need
is strong and very competitive.

johnmac
17/09/2003, 9:29 PM
Since 'you know who' went, we have lacked physical presence in midfield.
I think the person to provide that could be John O'Shea.

It is not going to happen in the Swiss game, and certainly with the central midfield options Brian Kerr will consider for that game, I think we will struggle to get a result. In recent games there has been little goal threat (or creativity for that matter) from Holland and Kinsella. Healy against Georgia looked good, but with virtually no football pre-season and precious little first team action since, it is difficult to imagine him making any impact.

If fit Holland will definitely play

Of the others mentioned, Thornton got sent off last night.
Miller is a regular in the Celtic squad, and should get a call up in the next few months. The player I love is Andy Reid. He oozes class, and is starting to score on a regular basis.

I think he just could be our next real star.

Bluebeard
18/09/2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Condex
I watched Delap in a game against some team in Lansdowne road
he's got a very lazy style, and was pretty cra*p. So I don't think hes the answer.

Front watching the Inter game tonight the type of player we need
is strong and very competitive.

Have you seen him play for Southampton? He has a little more bite and ability than some of the current midfielders, and Lee Carsley too.

Ozymandias
18/09/2003, 1:25 PM
If we qualify for portugal I think the midfield will be different that starts there...I thought holand let Healy down in the russia game...Healy didn't play well but kept trying to pass the ball and make the openings....Healy has class just needs games...he has to start against the swiss as he is the best passer of the trio.

Holland hasn't taken on the mantle of the leader in midfield as he claimed he would in his column after the world cup..we need him to perform as he is one of the senior players

also...WIllo Flood is coming

The Blue Oyster
19/09/2003, 6:55 AM
give miller a chance i say i mean we have had the same midfeild for a while now so throw him in there for something fresh.

Condex
21/09/2003, 1:41 PM
www.safc.com/index.asp

The match report on the Sunderland club website included the following

Healy was Sunderland's outstanding player, orchestrating things from the middle of the park, and on this evidence he will take some shifting from that position.

Slash/ED
21/09/2003, 6:46 PM
Yeah, and that was his first start in mid field for Sunderland. It was only a matter of time before he broke into their side, McCarthy was just staying loyal to those who were getting results before. He hasn't suddenly turned crap and the fickleness of people writeing him off after a few below par preformances when he blatantly wasn't match fit is pathetic.