PDA

View Full Version : League Cup Final

The Optimist
27/08/2008, 10:24 AM
According to todays Irish Independent the league fianal is scheduled to take place on saturday 27th September.A venue still has to be finalised with the RSC in Waterford been mentioned.The game is also due to be shown live on television.

Full article here
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/giantkilling-youths-come-of-age-in-style-1463777.html

Youths4Ever
27/08/2008, 10:46 AM
great we on TV.

in my opinion RSC not a good option to hold it. If no team getting home advantage then surely Dublin pitch should be used. Know Dublin a longer trip but the pitch in the RSC on our visits this year has been poor and the stands are so far away from the pitch personally not fond of it as a venue at all.

Also we can increase our capacity but the addition of a temp stand and with some careful planning we would be capable of holding the final in Ferrycarrig for soccer in Wexford it needs to be.
Wonder is Wallace's previous comments about Fran Gavin will come back to haunt him now when decision on venue being made

lofty9
27/08/2008, 11:07 AM
According to todays Irish Independent the league fianal is scheduled to take place on saturday 27th September.A venue still has to be finalised with the RSC in Waterford been mentioned.The game is also due to be shown live on television.

Full article here
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/eircom-league/giantkilling-youths-come-of-age-in-style-1463777.html

Not a mission I'd travel to Waterford to watch the game. I know Wexford is not that far off but that extra distance will just put people like me off. They'd need to be very careful about where its played as a lot of fans wouldn't make that long journey.

Sunny Jim
27/08/2008, 11:26 AM
I'm delighted that it's going to be live on TV but I hope Mick can pull out all the stops to ensure that Ferrycarrig Park can hold it. I'm not thrilled at the idea of holding it in Waterford cos we will need every advantage we can get.

oldyouth
27/08/2008, 12:50 PM
Lets open up Wexford Park for the game

Don't shoot, I was only messing.....................

ForzaWexford
27/08/2008, 1:00 PM
First of all I don't think it's 100% definite we have home advantage, and this game may well be played at the Brandywell. They've had the last 2 finals though so on the law of averages you never know....

If we do get home advantage I'm sure Mick will do everything he can to have the game played at Ferrycarrig park. This would give us a massive home crowd and better national exposure for the club. We'd also get a lot of Wexford people out to their first game which is important as they might start coming more regularly then. We could realistically have temporary seating on 3 sides of the pitch (get rid of the fences behind the bottom goal) with people standing behind the clubhouse goal. I'm sure 4 or 5 cameras from Setanta could be accomodated aswell. Parking will be a problem but there are loads of fields in Crossabeg, a dry day and a generous farmer is all we need!

If we get home advantage but can't play at Ferrycarrig Park I agree that playing the game in Dublin would be beter than Waterford. There would be a good travellg support from both Wexford and Derry, and you'd get more neutrals and supporters from other LOI clubs attending. And Tolka Park (for example) as a venue would be a lot better than the RSC. I think he way the gate works is that each club gets 40% and the FAI take 20%. Having it in Dublin as opposed to Waterford would bring in more money aswell.

So all in all......Ferrycarrig Park my first choice with somehwere in Dublin a distant 2nd.

Blueandproud
27/08/2008, 2:36 PM
Totally disagree with you You4ever.

I think the R.S.C. is a great idea. The R.S.C. is a very good venue and
a Regional Centre of Excellence for the F.A.I. I think it's a great idea that they want to host a final in another major city.

Candystripe
27/08/2008, 3:18 PM

a Regional Centre of Excellence for the F.A.I. I think it's a great idea that they want to host a final in another major city.

I don't think many Derry fans would travel to the RSC if you's won the toss. We would have no problem going to Wexford but that extra little bit would seriously put Derry fans off.

Plus the RSC would need 6,000 to create an atmosphere as IMO the moon has more atmoshere than the RSC.

Candystripe
27/08/2008, 3:26 PM
Here is a few clips of what you's can expect from Derry fans.

3,000 Derry fans at each of these away games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WelpDm_Scd8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USX72aLQoCM&feature=related

oldyouth
27/08/2008, 6:56 PM

Nice and handy Blueandproud but is the pitch up to the standard of a cup final. Very rough when we were there last. Great stand, good craic, welcoming club and all that.

joeSoap
28/08/2008, 11:48 AM
Tolka or Dalymount would be the best places for this game. Lots of seats for probably a crowd of I'd imagine 8,000 or so. Both teams will bring numbers, and if its in Dublin, a lot of neutral support will show up.

ForzaWexford
29/08/2008, 9:21 AM
Tolka or Dalymount would be the best places for this game. Lots of seats for probably a crowd of I'd imagine 8,000 or so. Both teams will bring numbers, and if its in Dublin, a lot of neutral support will show up.

I don't know if we'd bring that big a crowd to an away final to be honest. Really really hope we get a home draw. Should know where it's on by tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

oldyouth
29/08/2008, 12:11 PM
Derry's website has the toss being made today

Youths4Ever
29/08/2008, 12:53 PM
Derry's website has the toss being made today

yeah the meeting is happening today to decide the venue

brandy86
29/08/2008, 3:30 PM
The FAI has confirmed that Wexford Youths will host the 2008 eircom League of Ireland Cup final where they will face defending champions, Derry City after the draw was made at FAI headquarters in Abbotstown this afternoon.

The Ferrycarrig venue in Wexford will play host to the Candystripes who are looking for their fourth successive title on Saturday, September 27th and it will be televised live on Setanta Sports.

eircom League of Ireland Cup Final
Wexford Youths v Derry City
Ferrycarrig Park, Wexford
Kick-off: 19.30 hrs

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3499

Sunny Jim
29/08/2008, 3:36 PM
Well that's good news!!