PDA

View Full Version : World Cinema

Neish
26/08/2008, 4:26 PM
Can anyone recomend some good films outside USA and UK. World cinema that I have seen and enjoied include:

La Haine
The Motorcycle Diaries
Infernal affair Trilogy
City of God
Old Boy
Carandiru
Apocalypto

I have ordered the Guillermo Del Toro trilogy(Cronos, The Devil's Backbone and Pan's Labyrinth)

So if anyone liked these and could reecomend others

gustavo
26/08/2008, 4:34 PM
Off the top of my head and you've probably seem them all

Man Bites Dog
The Orphanage
Y Tu Mama Tambien
The Orphanage
The Counterfeiters

bennocelt
26/08/2008, 4:59 PM
two from Norway

the excellent Pathfinder
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pathfinder_(1987_film)

great movie, not much talking, but a very moving film

and Elling

I love this movie:)
and i think it became a stage play in London afterwards (someone famous was in it - maybe John Simms?)

ZYxrgz1Y5yA

John83
26/08/2008, 6:46 PM
Can anyone recomend some good films outside USA and UK. World cinema that I have seen and enjoied include:
Old Boy...
Old Boy is part of a thematic trilogy by a Korean director. Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance are the other two. I haven't seen Mr Vengeance, but Lady Vengeance is pretty good, though not as good as Old Boy.

On the subject of Korean cinema, The Host is a horror best watched with some mates in a jokey atmosphere. I forget how much of the comedy is intentional - I think most of it, but I can't be sure.

ken foree
26/08/2008, 11:03 PM
well sh1t, modern or classic? if classic, anything by ingmar bergman (wild strawberries, fanny & alexander, the seventh seal), most of andrei tarkovsky (solaris, stalker, andrei rublev, the sacrifice), akira kurosawa (seven samurai, rashomon), fellini (8 1/2), sergei eisenstein (battleship potemkin), fritz lang (M) or the french "masters".

more modern try werner herzog (grizzly man, fitzcarraldo, encounters at the end of the world - recently released in u.s.) or perhaps lars von trier if you like some bleaker stuff (dancer in the dark, element of crime, the idiots)

most of all you should try Decalogue by Kristof Kieslowski.

superfrank
26/08/2008, 11:13 PM
These are just a few that I'd recommend:

Downfall, Amarcord, Rabbit Proof Fence, Rashomon, Kagemusha, Abere los Ojos (the original Vanilla Sky), Delicatessen, Amores Perros, Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie, Hable con ella.

Closed Account 2
27/08/2008, 12:32 AM
historias minimas, 9-rota, run lola run, paris, la vita e bella, das experiment, central station, no mans land, i hear there is a new one out like city of god, called elite squad - it's supposed to be good but I've not seen it...

Pike B
27/08/2008, 8:58 AM
Try these:
Vengeance Trilogy (as mentioned)
A Tale of Two Sisters
Battle Royale
A Bittersweet Life
The Lives of Others
Pans Labyrinth
Downfall
Ong Bak
Amores Perros
Ichi The Killer
Switchblade Romance
Seven Samurai

anto1208
27/08/2008, 9:10 AM
You have the bigger ones like Pans labrynth, the Orphanage and Downfall.

But if you feel up to it "Come and see" is a great movie very difficult to watch but my god is it great film making

Pike B
27/08/2008, 9:23 AM
Old Boy is part of a thematic trilogy by a Korean director. Sympathy for Mr Vengeance and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance are the other two. I haven't seen Mr Vengeance, but Lady Vengeance is pretty good, though not as good as Old Boy.

On the subject of Korean cinema, The Host is a horror best watched with some mates in a jokey atmosphere. I forget how much of the comedy is intentional - I think most of it, but I can't be sure.
Sympathy fot Mr. Vengeance is the weakest of the three, but still a class film. It builds very slowly but ends superbly. A dark film, but not as good as Old Boy and Lady Vengeance.

osarusan
27/08/2008, 11:49 AM
most of all you should try Decalogue by Kristof Kieslowski.
I'd reinforce that recommendation 100000%. It's actually a mini-series, 1 show for each of the 10 commandments, but it is simply breathtaking.

the 12 th man
27/08/2008, 11:59 AM
If you enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth he's (Del Toro) directed the new Hell Boy movie out now-same fantastic creatures & sumptious colours.

Another good film but totally different subject matter "Devdas"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0238936/

ken foree
27/08/2008, 12:22 PM
I'd reinforce that recommendation 100000%. It's actually a mini-series, 1 show for each of the 10 commandments, but it is simply breathtaking.

osarusan ah yes yes yes! but before i orgasmically hyperventilate over this piece of polish cinema i just have to comment on your mini-series point - it actually lends itself nicely to 1 hour each evening for watching it. if you say to someone, "it's ten hours' long" they often look at you like, yea right, like i'm gonna watch THAT. but if you watch one or two max a night, i find the episodes seep into the bones a bit better. and you are hungrier for the next installment. such simple dramas, but utterly profound stuff.

have you seen "the big animal"? after kk died his friend found the screenplay in his late friend's desk drawer - it's about an abandoned circus camel found by an elderly childless couple in a village in poland. it's really good, bittersweet.

TonyD
27/08/2008, 10:38 PM
But if you feel up to it "Come and see" is a great movie very difficult to watch but my god is it great film making

I've seen that, savage stuff alright. The boy in it is incredible. He seems to physically age throughout the film, and looks like a little old man at the end. (for those who haven't seen it it's a russian war film which follows a young boy who joins the partisans and shows in some detail the brutality of the invading Nazis.

At the other end of the scale I highly recommend a French film called The Chorus, about a failed composer who goes to teach in reformitory boys school and starts a choir. A lovely heartwarming film, moving, without being sickly sweet.

bennocelt
28/08/2008, 8:01 AM
I've seen that, savage stuff alright. The boy in it is incredible. He seems to physically age throughout the film, and looks like a little old man at the end. (for those who haven't seen it it's a russian war film which follows a young boy who joins the partisans and shows in some detail the brutality of the invading Nazis.

I am not sure if it is the same movie.but i think i have seen this movie
I didnt look at it all, as it was very badly dubbed and i find it hard to watch dubbed movies (impossible even), and it looked like it was really long.
But it looked good
There was an extraordinary scene in the movie, one i will never forget...............When he returns to his town, its empty and he is looking for someone, anyone.............but out of the corner of the viewers eye you can see all the dead bodies left by the Germans. I love the scene cause you can see the bodies just about but the boy cant. It really is a shocking and sad scene. and very well done. Not gratuitously done like maybe an American movie might do

anto1208
28/08/2008, 11:09 AM
I am not sure if it is the same movie.but i think i have seen this movie
I didnt look at it all, as it was very badly dubbed and i find it hard to watch dubbed movies (impossible even), and it looked like it was really long.
But it looked good
There was an extraordinary scene in the movie, one i will never forget...............When he returns to his town, its empty and he is looking for someone, anyone.............but out of the corner of the viewers eye you can see all the dead bodies left by the Germans. I love the scene cause you can see the bodies just about but the boy cant. It really is a shocking and sad scene. and very well done. Not gratuitously done like maybe an American movie might do

Thats the one, its hard to watch ive watched it a few times now and its just as rewarding everytime .

the director had them use live ammo in it for realisim !!!

bennocelt
28/08/2008, 12:11 PM
My favorite Chinese directer Jia Zhangke

he makes movies about small town China where feck all happens and it can be a boring place to live for young adults.
I was actually in a few of the places that are located in his movies, and it is pretty much spot on. Life can be boring to live there

Better than the usual muck that China exports to the world -- re crouching tigers and all that stuff - that isn't popular at all in China itself

k8IBnsxB5qU&feature=related

Pike B
05/09/2008, 5:23 PM
A good 100..

1. La Dolce Vita - (1954, Italy, Frederico Fellini) (Marcello Mastroianni)
2. The Seven Samurai - (1954, Japan, Akira Kurosawa) (Toshiro Mifune)
3. La Strada - (1954, Italy, Frederico Fellini) (Anthony Quinn)
4. Wild Strawberries - (1957, Sweden, Ingmar Bergman) (Victor Sjostrom, Ingrid Thulin)
5. Grand Illusion - (1937, France, Jean Renoir) (Jean Gabin, Pierre Fresnay)
6. 8 1/2 - (1963, Italy, Frederico Fellini) (Marcello Mastroianni, Claudia Cardinale)
7. Rashomon - (1950, Japan, Akira Kurosawa) (Toshiro Mifune)
8. The Bicycle Thief - (1948, Italy, Vittorio De Sica)
9. Diabolique - (1955, France, Henri-Georges Clouzot) (Simone Signoret, Paul Meurisse)
10. Fellini Satyricon - (1969, Italy, Frederico Fellini) (Martin Porter)
11. The Virgin Spring - (1959, Sweden, Ingmar Bergman) (Max Von Sydow)
12. Jean De Florette - (1986, France, Marcel Pagnol) (Gerard Depardieu, Yves Montand)
13. M - (1931, Germany, Fritz Lang) (Peter Lorre)
14. Beauty And The Beast - (1946, France, Jean Cocteau) (Jean Marais, Josette Day)
15. Battleship Potemkin - (1925, Russia, Sergei Eisenstein) (Aleksandr Antonov)
16. The Passion of Joan of Arc - (1928, France, Carl Theodor Dreyer) (Maria Falconetti)
17. The Last Metro - (1981, France, Francois Truffaut) (Catherine Deneuve)
18. Day For Night - (1973, France, Francois Truffaut) (Jacqueline Bisset)
19. Belle De Jour - (1967, France, Luis Bunuel) (Catherine Deneuve)
20. Cries and Whispers - (1972, Sweden, Ingmar Bergman) (Liv Ullmann)
21. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - (2000, Taiwan, Ang Lee) (Michelle Yeoh, Ziyi Zhang)
22. Manon Of The Spring - (1986, France, Marcel Pagnol) (Emmanuelle Beart, Yves Montand)
23. Life Is Beautiful - (1998, Italy, Roberto Benigni) (Roberto Benigni)
24. Bread And Chocolate - (1974, Italy, Franco Brusati) (Nino Manfredi)
25. City of God - (2002, Brazil, Fernando Meirelles) (Alexandre Rodrigues)
26. Mon Oncle - (1958, France, Jacques Tati) (Jacques Tati, Jean-Pierre Zola)
27. The Garden Of Finzi-Continis - (1971, Italy, Vittorio De Sica) (Dominique Sanda)
28. Frantic - (1958, France, Louis Malle) (Jeanne Moreau)
29. A Good Marriage - (1982, France, Eric Rohmer) (Beatrice Romand, Andre Dussollier)
30. Swept Away - (1975, Italy, Lina Wertmüller) (Giancarlo Giannini)
31. Scenes From A Marriage - (1974, Sweden, Ingmar Bergman) (Liv Ullmann)
32. Sundays And Cybele - (1962, France) (Hardy Kruger, Patricia Gozzi)
33. Yojimbo - (1961, Japan, Akira Kurosawa) (Toshiro Mifune)
34. Fanny And Alexander - (1983, Sweden, Ingmar Bergman) (Ewa Froling, Erland Josephson)
35. Z - (1969, Greece, Costa-Gavras) (Yves Montand, Irene Papas)
36. The City Of Lost Children - (1995, France) (Ron Perlman, Daniel Emilfork)
37. Amarcord - (1973, Italy, Frederico Fellini) (Puppela Maggio)
38. La Cage Aux Folles - (1980, France) (Ugo Tognazzi, Michel Serrault)
39. The Seventh Seal - (1956, Sweden,Ingmar Bergman)
40. Nosferatu - (1922, Germany, F.W. Murnau) (Max Schreck)
41. Delicatessen - (1991, France) (Marie-Laure Daugnac)
42. Cousin, Cousine - (1976, France, Jean Charles Tacchella)
43. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie - (1971, France, Luis Buñuel)
44. The 400 Blows - (1959, France, Francois Truffaut) (Jean-Pierre Leaud)
45. Il Postino (The Postman) - (1995, Italy) (Philippe Noiret)
46. Solaris - (1972, Russia, Andrei Tarkovsky)
47. The Silence - (1963, Sweden, Ingmar Bergman) (Ingrid Thulin)
48. Ran - (1985, Japan, Akira Kurosawa) (Tatsuya Nakadai)
49. The Passenger - (1963, Poland, Andrzej Munk) (Aleksandra Slaska, Anne Ciepielewska)
50. Kapo - (1960, Italy, Gillo Pontecorvo) (Susan Strasberg)
51. Through a Glass Darkly - (1960, Sweden, Ingmar Bergman)
52. War and Peace - (1968, USSR, Sergei Bondarchuk)
53. Aguirre, Wrath of God - (1972, Germany, Werner Herzog)
54. Fellini's Roma - (1972, Italy, Frederico Fellini) (Peter Gonzales)
55. Johnny Stecchino - (1993, Italy, Roberto Benigni) (Roberto Benigni)
56. That Obscure Object of Desire - (1977, Spain, Luis Buñuel)
57. The Decameron - (1971, Italy, Pier Paolo Pasolini) (Franco Citti)
58. Cinema Paradiso - (1989, Italy, Giuseppe Tornatore)
59. Nights of Cabiria - (1957, Italy, Federico Fellini) (Giulietta Masina)
60. Cyrano De Bergerac - (1990, France, Jean-Paul Rappeneau) (Gerard Depardieu)
61. Babette's Feast - (1987, Denmark, Gabriel Axel)
62. Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears - (1980, USSR, Vladimir Menshov)
63. Playtime - (1958, France, Jacques Tati)
64. Tokyo Story - (1953, Japan, Yasujiro Ozu)
65. Mediterraneo - (1991, Italy, Gabriele Salvatores) (Claudio Bigagli)
66. Rififi - (1956, France, Jules Dassin) (Jean Sevais, Carl Mohner)
67. Das Boot - (1982, Germany, Wolfgang Peterson) (Jurgen Procnow)
68. Seven Beauties - (1976, Italy, Lina Wertmüller)
69. Black Orpheus - (1959, Brazil/France/Italy - Portuguese)
70. The Tin Drum - (1979, Germany, Volker Schlöndorff)
71. Andrei Rublev - (1966, U.S.S.R. Andrei Tarkovsky) (Anatoli Solonitsyn)
72. Au Revoir les Enfants - (1987, France, Louis Malle) (Gaspard Manesse)
73. Farinelli - (1994, France) (Stefano Dionisi, Enrico Lo Verso)
74. Pelle the Conqueror - (1988, Denmark, Bille August) (Pelle Hvenegaard, Max von Sydow)
75. Pan's Labyrinth - (2006, Mexico, Guillermo del Toro) (Ivana Baquero, Sergi López)
76. The Monster - (1996, Italy, Roberto Benigni) (Roberto Benigni)
77. The Gospel According To St. Matthew - (1964, Italy, Pier Paolo Pasolini)
78. À bout de souffle (Breathless) - (1959, France, Jean-Luc Godard) (Jean Seberg)
79. The Firemen's Ball - (1968, Czechoslovakia, Milos Forman)
80. All About My Mother - (1999, Spain, Pedro Almodóvar)
81. Fälscher, Die (The Counterfeiters) - (2007, Germany, Stefan Ruzowitzky) (Karl Markovics)
82. The Exterminating Angel - (1962, Mexico, Luis Bunuel) (Silvia Pinal)
83. The Juniper Tree - (1987, Iceland) (Bjork)
84. The Scent of Green Papaya - (1993, Vietnam, France, Hung Tran)
85. Run Lola Run - (1998, Germany, Tom Tykwer) (Franka Potente)
86. Spirited Away - (2001, Japan, Hayao Miyazaki)
87. Canterbury Tales - (1971, Italy, Pier Paolo Pasolini) (Josephine Chaplin)
88. Stalker - (1979, Russia, Andrei Tarkovsky) (Aleksandr Kajdanovsky)
89. Madame Rosa - (1977, France, Moshé Mizrahi)
90. Ikiru - (1952, Japan, Akira Kurosawa) (Takashi Shimura)
91. Salo: The 120 Days Of Sodom - (1977, Italy, Pier Paolo Pasolini)
92. My Life As A Dog - (1987, Sweden, Lasse Hallstrom) (Anton Glanzelius)
93. Amelie - (2001, France, Jean-Pierre Jeunet) (Audrey Tautou)
94. Underground - (1995, Yugoslavia, Emir Kusturica)
95. Raise the Red Lantern - (1991, China, Yimou Zhang)
96. Fitzcarraldo - (1982, Germany, Werner Herzog) (Klaus Kinski, Claudia Cardinale)
97. High and Low - (1963, Japan, Akira Kurosawa) (Toshiro Mifune)
98. King Of Hearts - (1967, France) (Alan Bates, Genevieve Bujold)
99. Jules and Jim - (1961, France, Francois Truffaut) (Oskar Werner)
100. Hiroshima, Mon Amour - (1959, France, Alain Resnais) (Emmanuelle Riva)

the 12 th man
05/01/2009, 6:39 PM
Just seen The Orphanage,while not quite as good as Pans Labrynth its top notch in its own right,Del Toro is some film maker:cool: