PDA

View Full Version : Best Album 0f 1999

Pages : [1] 2

jebus
24/08/2008, 5:29 PM
Air are currently in the lead in the 98 poll, but that has a few more days to run so all that can change, Radiohead just about beat the Verve to take the 1997 title and end the run of 'Oasis Bands'. Thought that the 1999 poll was going to be poor before I looked into it but there is a nice, diverse range to choose from this year, with the emphasis swinging back towards America at the end of the decade. Albums left out of the poll include Le Tigre's debut (highly recommended for anyone currently listening to MGMT, CSS etc.), Beck's under-rated Midnight Vultures, Wilco's superb Summerteeth, Underworld's Beaucoup Fish, Supergrass's 3rd album, Chemical Brother's Surrender, Pavement's final album Terror Twilight and the Dismemberment Plan's Emergency & I. Santana, Travis, Muse and Gorky's Zygotic Mynci also put out acclaimed albums this year

Here's the pick's anyway, include what band you are voting for if you vote Other

Flaming Lips - Waiting For Superman - Race For The Prize

VevetJUNL9g

Blur - Coffee & TV - 13

kWUil383us4

Sigur Ros - Svefn-G-Englar - Agaetis Byrjun

zQ5Grncdjlc

jebus
24/08/2008, 5:42 PM
Stereophonics - Bartender & The Thief - Performance & Cocktails

39DpYQf2mwk

Moby - Porcelain - Play

D1Fcaro25Ek

Eminem - Just Don't Give A **** - Slim Shady EP

XvrWKAw0aIE

jebus
24/08/2008, 5:47 PM
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Scar Tissue - Californication

nX2qlTn6t24

Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now In The Fire - Battle Of Los Angeles

Jz8wU9DdbqU

Dr Dre - Forgot About Dre - 2001

gMCS7s8YikA

jebus
24/08/2008, 5:50 PM
Sigur Ros was always gonna be the hands down winner for me here. Loved the Flaming Lip's effort, thought Pavement's last album was a fitting finale, still think Blur's 13 is horrible under rated by people, and then I also still listen to Wilco and Le Tigre from this year, but Sigur Ros's effort was mind blowing at the time (and still is to be honest). I think Red Hot Chilli Peppers or the Stereophonics will win this, but I can't honestly believe that they will deserve it when you have an album as achingly beautiful as Agaetis Byrjun in the poll

superfrank
24/08/2008, 5:55 PM
Dr. Dre - 2001.

He's only ever released two albums, both classics. Hopefully, the third will come out soon and will be another classic.

stann
24/08/2008, 6:15 PM
Yep agree with jebus, apart from one little detail. :D
The Flaming Lips' Soft Bulletin is a wonderful record, was a close-ish second for me, and there's some great stuff on Surrender too. Also loved that Le Tigre album, and do still have a sneaking grá for Slim Shady as well. But you can't look past the Sigur Ros album, it's an amazing thing.

Pauro 76
24/08/2008, 7:24 PM
Ive gone for Other in this, Chemical Brothers, Surrender. Love that album. 2nd place to Rage against the Machine, Battle of Los Angeles and bronze to Moby - Play. that was before he sold the rights to advertisers and killled it.

Schumi
24/08/2008, 7:52 PM
Went for Sigur Rós. I only got into it recently, absolutely stunning album.

Lionel Ritchie
24/08/2008, 8:35 PM
Not a year that swelled my record collection substantially.

Voting Other -Equally Cursed and Blessed by Catatonia. Respectful nod to Hooray For Boobies by The Bloodhound Gang.

jebus
24/08/2008, 9:47 PM
Yep agree with jebus, apart from one little detail. :D
The Flaming Lips' Soft Bulletin is a wonderful record, was a close-ish second for me, and there's some great stuff on Surrender too. Also loved that Le Tigre album, and do still have a sneaking grá for Slim Shady as well. But you can't look past the Sigur Ros album, it's an amazing thing.

Eep! :D I think I had it in my mind to put Race For The Prize in as the song! :D

Pauro 76
24/08/2008, 11:41 PM
bit surprised Stereophonics 'Performance and Cocktails' in the list. 'Word Gets Around' was a far better album, think that was from 1998. Honourable mentions to Super Furry Animals 'Rings Around The World', Supergrass 'Supergrass' and Leftfield' Rhythm and Stealth'.

Macy
25/08/2008, 8:16 AM
Other: Death in Vegas - The Contino Sessions

Close second was Chemical Brothers - Surrender. Others that I would've been listening too, The Charlatans - Us and Us Only, Ian Brown - Golden Greats, Underworld - Beaucoup Fish

Pauro, was Guerilla not the 99 Super Furries album? I think "Rings around the world" is early 00's.

jebus
25/08/2008, 8:31 AM
bit surprised Stereophonics 'Performance and Cocktails' in the list. 'Word Gets Around' was a far better album, think that was from 1998. Honourable mentions to Super Furry Animals 'Rings Around The World', Supergrass 'Supergrass' and Leftfield' Rhythm and Stealth'.

Rings Around The World was from 2001 wasn't it? Stereophonics was included for being a hugely popular album, that I'm assuming their fans still like and might vote for

Neish
25/08/2008, 9:30 AM
Voted for other and The White Stipes:The White Stipes think there debut album is their best album more bluesy than the others and opening the album with a Robert Johnson cover was class.

Also hounerable mentions to:
Tom Waits - Mule Variations
Rage Against the machine- Battle of La
Grove armada- Vertigo
Bonnie prince Billy- I see a darkness
Le Tigre- Le Tigre

holidaysong
25/08/2008, 9:41 AM
Other:

Foo Fighters - There is nothing left to lose.

tetsujin1979
25/08/2008, 9:43 AM
got to go with Californication, the very definition of a "grower" album.

Pauro 76
25/08/2008, 11:02 AM
Other: Death in Vegas - The Contino Sessions

Close second was Chemical Brothers - Surrender. Others that I would've been listening too, The Charlatans - Us and Us Only, Ian Brown - Golden Greats, Underworld - Beaucoup Fish

Pauro, was Guerilla not the 99 Super Furries album? I think "Rings around the world" is early 00's.

Death in Vegas, good call, a superb album. Yes you're right, Rings around the World was 2001, Guerrila was indeed 1999. :) Ian Brown 'Golden Greats' was excellent too.

Lev Yashin
25/08/2008, 2:56 PM
Ill have to go for supergrass's self titled album...its a cracker its got "Moving" on it brilliant song and "what went wrong" which shudda been a single!! :D

TonyD
25/08/2008, 8:19 PM
Wilco - Summerteeth. Their finest hour.

Wolfie
26/08/2008, 7:38 AM
Went for Blur's "13" album.

The "13" album put right some of the downright atrocities of the Great Escape album. The Country House video for example.

With sustained evangelical zeal - the eponymous Supergrass album deserves an honourable mention and its their 4th best album by my reckoning.

Their latest "Diamond Hoo Ha" is well worth checking out.

noby
26/08/2008, 7:44 PM
Other: Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs

Am I cracking up, or had someone voted for this already?

Other albums of note not already mentioned include Tindersticks - Simple Pleasures; Stereo Total - My Melody; and Travis - The Man Who (the first two singles good enough to overcome the dross to follow).

The Good Son
26/08/2008, 8:11 PM
Other. I See A Darkness - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy.

Pauro 76
26/08/2008, 8:12 PM
[B] Travis - The Man Who (the first two singles good enough to overcome the dross to follow).

And of course, the rest of Travis' career seemingly. Writing To Reach You and Driftwood were great songs, shame about the rest of them...

stann
26/08/2008, 10:28 PM
Christ, yeah, Simple Pleasures was this year! :(
Best Tindersticks album for me, and maybe not coincidentally the best gettin' it owwwwn music, bar none! :D
Still would have been pipped by the Ros though.

noby
27/08/2008, 7:37 AM
And of course, the rest of Travis' career seemingly. Writing To Reach You and Driftwood were great songs, shame about the rest of them...

Well I didn't want to write off their whole career in one sentence. Writing To Reach You and Driftwood are indeed great songs. When I listened to the album I put Why does it always rain on me down as an album filler track. Shows how wrong I was; or how wrong everybody else is.

Stann, Simple Pleasures is indeed a fine album.

Wolfie
27/08/2008, 7:54 AM

Anyone aware that Travis have a new album out next month? Passed me by anyway.

I think Travis have still intermittently written some good tunes but they've never progressed on the potential of 1999. I think "Turn" isn't a bad tune, the single "Coming Around", "The Blue Flashing Light", "Walking in the Sun".

noby
27/08/2008, 8:01 AM
They have had their moments, single-wise, (I bought the Coming Around single) but not enough for me to go buy another of their albums, so they could well have an album coming out but I neither know nor care.

Pauro 76
27/08/2008, 8:08 AM
They do indeed have a new album coming out. Stopped listening to them myself after The Invisible Band. That one was pure cack. Their first album wasnt too bad though. Their first single was a song called U16 Girls. One for the Gary Glitter Collection Im sure.

Lionel Ritchie
27/08/2008, 9:14 AM
Well I didn't want to write off their whole career in one sentence. Writing To Reach You and Driftwood are indeed great songs. When I listened to the album I put Why does it always rain on me down as an album filler track. Shows how wrong I was; or how wrong everybody else is.
. ...well if you won't I bloody well will. A career that started with the bountiful promise of All I Wanna Do Is Rock plummeted downhill tumble-mumble pell-mell into muck that often reminds me of no-one moreso than Brian feckin Kennedy, sounds tailor-made for the Ian Dempsey and Ray Darcy show and was only interupted by the brief upsurge in form that was 'Turn'.

noby
27/08/2008, 9:23 AM
To be fair, that's a long sentence.

Lionel Ritchie
27/08/2008, 9:27 AM
Well I was handed a template. I think the grammar is okay though. :)

noby
27/08/2008, 9:32 AM
Grammar is fine. I'll give it a B+.
Next assignment: Why Bono is a ****, in 100 words or less.

Pauro 76
27/08/2008, 10:03 AM
...well if you won't I bloody well will. A career that started with the bountiful promise of All I Wanna Do Is Rock plummeted downhill tumble-mumble pell-mell into muck that often reminds me of no-one moreso than Brian feckin Kennedy, sounds tailor-made for the Ian Dempsey and Ray Darcy show and was only interupted by the brief upsurge in form that was 'Turn'.

I remember Flowers in the Window getting constant rotation on the Ray D'Arcy show all the time, and me about to throw the radio out in pure frustration. Absolutely hated that track and that was the end of Travis for me. They had a knack for a chorus though. 'If we Turn, Turn, Turn. Turn Turn Turn.' 'The circle only has one Side. Side. Side'.... 'if we Sing. Sing. Sing. Sing.'

Wolfie
27/08/2008, 1:02 PM
I remember Flowers in the Window getting constant rotation on the Ray D'Arcy show all the time, and me about to throw the radio out in pure frustration. Absolutely hated that track and that was the end of Travis for me.

Yeah - Flowers in the Window has a real tweeness to it alright.

Yeah can just visualise the 30 something cast from "Cold Feet" playing football together in the park and somone slipping in a puddle and they all laugh uncontrollably as "Flowers in the Window" soundtracks the scene. :D

Lionel Ritchie
27/08/2008, 1:24 PM

Bono, whom we can all agree is indeed a ****, gets it regular off Ali. I'd be about Ali like a rat in a dustbin.

Lev Yashin
27/08/2008, 1:34 PM
Anyone aware that Travis have a new album out next month? Passed me by anyway.

I think Travis have still intermittently written some good tunes but they've never progressed on the potential of 1999. I think "Turn" isn't a bad tune, the single "Coming Around", "The Blue Flashing Light", "Walking in the Sun".

I knew....kinda haven't stopped listening to them since the start...the secret song at the end of the man who is great i know its a cover but its really well done.:D

Pauro 76
27/08/2008, 1:40 PM
Yeah - Flowers in the Window has a real tweeness to it alright.

Yeah can just visualise the 30 something cast from "Cold Feet" playing football together in the park and somone slipping in a puddle and they all laugh uncontrollably as "Flowers in the Window" soundtracks the scene. :D

:D

As for that secret track, a few more like that, they could have been a decent band. You can also blame them for Coldplay, Keane and the likes I suppose.

stann
27/08/2008, 2:18 PM

Because he just is, that's why! Do I get a bonus for saving 94?

I'd be about Ali like a rat in a dustbin.

:eek: May be picking it up wrong but that's not very complimentary to the poor girl, is it? At least 'rat up a drainpipe' has some similarities of scale. :D

noby
27/08/2008, 2:27 PM
I'd be about Ali like a rat in a dustbin.

:eek: May be picking it up wrong but that's not very complementary to the poor girl, is it? At least 'rat up a drainpipe' has some similarities of scale. :D

It is a bit close to 'like throwing a sausage up Main Street', which isn't at all complementary on the poor girl.

Wolfie
28/08/2008, 7:31 AM
I knew....kinda haven't stopped listening to them since the start...the secret song at the end of the man who is great i know its a cover but its really well done.:D

The secret song is called "The Blue Flashing Light" and I thought it was a Travis song as opposed to a cover!!!!

The reason it was tagged on was that it didn't fit with the vibe of the rest of the album.

Schumi
28/08/2008, 8:35 AM
Who was it by originally? I didn't know it was a cover either.

stann
29/08/2008, 12:04 AM
Oh and I see today that I've forgotten Clinton - 'Disco And The Halfway To Discontent' as well. :(
Now that would have been a real contender for my vote, I copped it as I was putting it in the car stereo again. Ah well...

Pauro 76
01/09/2008, 10:52 AM
Bored at work and hoping for the 2000 poll. I've a fair idea what could win that one.

noby
01/09/2008, 10:57 AM
I'm assuming it's another Radiohead year, yes?

Pauro 76
01/09/2008, 11:19 AM
think Primal Scream may challenge them. That said, Doves 'Lost Souls' deserve to be in the mix.

Wolfie
01/09/2008, 12:22 PM
Queens of the Stone Age's "Rated R" and Coldplay's "Parachutes" were also notable releases.................................

Lev Yashin
01/09/2008, 12:31 PM
Who was it by originally? I didn't know it was a cover either.

hmmmm im beginning to think i was misinformed....i remember seeing them live and i could have sworn Fran said something about it being a cover but i may have been a little drunk....my bad!!:D

Wolfie
01/09/2008, 12:58 PM
hmmmm im beginning to think i was misinformed....i remember seeing them live and i could have sworn Fran said something about it being a cover but i may have been a little drunk....my bad!!:D

Maybe he said "This songs title doesn't appear on the cover"............:)

Macy
01/09/2008, 1:05 PM
think Primal Scream may challenge them. That said, Doves 'Lost Souls' deserve to be in the mix.
American III: Solitary Man - Johnny Cash

gustavo
01/09/2008, 1:05 PM
Queens of the Stone Age's "Rated R" and Coldplay's "Parachutes" were also notable releases.................................

For me it'll be between the Marshall Mathers LP and JJ72's eponymous debut