PDA

View Full Version : Squad predictions/wishes for Georgia & Montenegro

Irish_Praha
24/08/2008, 9:55 AM
Now that the real action will finally start in a few weeks what players would you expect or want to see in the next squad?

It will probably be very close to the last squad with max. one or two changes if there are no injuries.
They are competitive games so maybe Carsley will make a return at the expense of Miller.

If Whelan doesn't get any game time between now and then maybe J O'Brien will be considered for CMF again or he could be a replacement for Miller if Carsley isn't in the squad. Leaving a defence squad place free. Liam Lawrence might also force his way in if there are any injuries. However I think Trap will stick with Whelan in the squad no matter what.

In the short term I can only see these changes being made to the squad as, apart from O'Brien, none of the young hopefulls have had starts to the season that would merit their inclusion.

I find it good that there is finally some decent quality competition for the CMF positions and that we won't need to be relying on O'Shea and Kilbane for cover there. The two Reids, Miller, Carsley, Whelan, J O'Brien all fighting for two positions can only be good. That will keep us ticking along nicely when we wait for one or two of Garvan, McCarthy, O’Toole, McCann, Gibson etc. to develop and replace weaker players like Miller and future retirees like Carsley.

I would imagine the 5 strikers will stay the same.

I agree with many on here that Bruce is brutal and not of international standard. Trap needs to bring the likes of McCarthy or St. Ledger into the squad but again I think he will make very few changes in defence apart from bringing McShane back to replace maybe Bruce. It would be interesting to see who he would call up if McShane doesn't fully recover and Bruce gets injured.

eirebhoy
24/08/2008, 10:51 AM
McShane played a friendly game last week and should be fit. He'll get a call up and maybe even start at the expense of Kilbane.

Razors left peg
24/08/2008, 10:56 AM
Im fairly certain that he will start with the exact same team as against Norway, he doesnt seem to be a man that likes changing much and goes with what he has seen and knows

back of the net
24/08/2008, 10:58 AM
miller to be dropped from the squad is what i want --- but it aint gonna happen

irishultra
24/08/2008, 11:18 AM
I'd be happy with McShane in the squad, and Murphy is growing on me on the wing

Claret Murph
24/08/2008, 11:23 AM
Im fairly certain that he will start with the exact same team as against Norway, he doesnt seem to be a man that likes changing much and goes with what he has seen and knows

Spot on Razors , that's just what I was thinking :)

musicinmouth
24/08/2008, 11:43 AM
I think Carsley will take the place of Whelan in the starting 11, but that's the only change I expect, unless there are injuries...

If Duff's injury rules him out, I think Hunt will take his place... I don't think he sees Andy Reid as a winger... but at least we have some good options if Duff can't make it.

NeilMcD
24/08/2008, 12:02 PM
Nah Whelan is playing central midfield, from what Trap said about him and the fact he has picked him in 3 games shows that he does rate him for that role. Carsley was not in the squad, he may be in this squad but I am not sure he will start.

Razors left peg
24/08/2008, 12:24 PM
What we need above all else is consistency. The worst thing that could happen if he start bringing in random championship players for their 1st cap like Stan was doing but I reckon Trap is far too experienced to let that happen.

Realistic scenario is that he plays the same team he used with Norway. Best case is that he replaces Whelan with Carsley.

I cant make up my mind on that one, I like Carsley but Whelan really impressed me against Norway, he is more mobile and has better distribution than Carlsey but Carsley is probably more solid.
Anyway like I said already I dont think it is an issue as the same team will probably start

Irish_Praha
24/08/2008, 12:46 PM
I was also thinking about our 'keeper situation. I know it's more normal to call up 3 keepers for tournament finals rather than qualifiers but considering Kiely's age it might be a good idea to include a third keeper for this squad. The likes of Bruce and Foley will probably never get game time unless we have 2 or 3 injuries in their positions. I would prefer their place to go to a young 'keeper because if either of Given or Kiely get injured we will have to call in a back-up keeper with little or no experience of being away with the international squad. Kiely will retire after this campagin so we would also be in a bad position if Given gets injured at that time to.

tetsujin1979
24/08/2008, 12:52 PM
I only really see one or two changes from the squad against Norway. Maybe an extra keeper, and possibly Lawrence forcing his way into the side. Tardelli and Brady were at the Spurs - Sunderland game yesterday, but I doubt they saw anything they didn't already know. With any luck Reid's performance can force him into an appearance, if not an actual start.
Incidentally, he picked up a bonus point in fantasy football for his performance.

Noelys Guitar
24/08/2008, 1:26 PM
I see the exact same team that started against Norway starting against Georgia. I personally would play A. Reid instead of Whelan but that is not going to happen. More than anything we need to keep clean sheets against both these sides. No chasing games away from home with a mad crowd baying.

eirebhoy
24/08/2008, 2:13 PM
I only really see one or two changes from the squad against Norway. Maybe an extra keeper, and possibly Lawrence forcing his way into the side. Tardelli and Brady were at the Spurs - Sunderland game yesterday, but I doubt they saw anything they didn't already know. With any luck Reid's performance can force him into an appearance, if not an actual start.
Incidentally, he picked up a bonus point in fantasy football for his performance.
I think Reid played left midfield unfortunately though, with Richardson in the centre.

Wheels
24/08/2008, 2:58 PM
I was also thinking about our 'keeper situation. I know it's more normal to call up 3 keepers for tournament finals rather than qualifiers but considering Kiely's age it might be a good idea to include a third keeper for this squad. The likes of Bruce and Foley will probably never get game time unless we have 2 or 3 injuries in their positions. I would prefer their place to go to a young 'keeper because if either of Given or Kiely get injured we will have to call in a back-up keeper with little or no experience of being away with the international squad. Kiely will retire after this campagin so we would also be in a bad position if Given gets injured at that time to.

There's always John O'Shea...

stojkovic
24/08/2008, 6:01 PM
I see the exact same team that started against Norway starting against Georgia. I personally would play A. Reid instead of Whelan but that is not going to happen. More than anything we need to keep clean sheets against both these sides. No chasing games away from home with a mad crowd baying.

Trap is NEVER gonna play Andy Reid with Duff and McGeady in a four man midfield. Not unless Roy Keane of 2001 is the fourth man. It will be two of the three playing. However Andy may figure in a five man midfield away from home but then again Robbie may fill that role.

I also think he will favour two physical central midfielders especially if O'Shea or McShane are playing behind them.

I agree the starting XI against Georgia will be the same as was against Norway, barring injuries of course. Only possible change could be Murphy for Doyle.

Noelys Guitar
24/08/2008, 11:09 PM
Trap is NEVER gonna play Andy Reid with Duff and McGeady in a four man midfield. Not unless Roy Keane of 2001 is the fourth man. It will be two of the three playing. However Andy may figure in a five man midfield away from home but then again Robbie may fill that role.

I also think he will favour two physical central midfielders especially if O'Shea or McShane are playing behind them.

I agree the starting XI against Georgia will be the same as was against Norway, barring injuries of course. Only possible change could be Murphy for Doyle.

Reid's tackling seems to have improved greatly this season (OK. Only 2 games). He is no longer diving in aimlessly and he is a really hard player to get around(cue weight jokes). What if Trap tells him not to go beyond the final quarter and just do a Carsley type job but with much better distribution? This should ring a bell with Liam Brady as he was asked by Charlton to run around and hassle defenders in the twilight of his Irish career. (A couple of times as a late sub. And he did a great job) Tardelli and Brady watched Reid and Murphy yesterday and I have a feeling Reid might still play against Georgia.

Ordinary Fan
25/08/2008, 2:31 PM
No Changes to the team baring injuries with McShane replacing Finnan been an outside possibility. McShane the only addition to the squad.
I would like to see Lawerance and McCarthy or St. Ledger brought into the squad. But as Trap is only here for 2 years, the only time given to impress was in Portugal.

dr_peepee
25/08/2008, 3:20 PM
If Duff's injury rules him out, I think Hunt will take his place... I don't think he sees Andy Reid as a winger... but at least we have some good options if Duff can't make it.

I think Reid would come in if Duff Keane or McGeady is out. What's happening is we're tagging players too rigidly such as "Wingers" etc, where as I don't think that's Trapps mindset in this case.

Think of the three that played behind Van Nistelrooy for the Dutch in the Euros, supported by Engelarr and De Jong. (Esp when Robben was injured)

Whilst Reid I think would be better placed in the middle I think he could easily be flanked by Keane and McGeady. Keane not being a winger in the truest sense but still able to hurt teams from deep. I seen him play well enough in similar positions under Jol when trying to accomadate all his strikers.

Erimusred
25/08/2008, 3:48 PM
When is the squad announced?

tetsujin1979
25/08/2008, 4:07 PM
According to this - http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/irish/soccer-shorts-quinn-eyes-ireland-call-1462705.html - the 28-man provisional squad is already out, and Joe Murphy is included in it

<EDIT>

Confirmation from Scunthorpe's website: http://www.scunthorpe-united.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,10442~1373944,00.html

Paddy Garcia
25/08/2008, 7:43 PM
McShane played a friendly game last week and should be fit. He'll get a call up and maybe even start at the expense of Kilbane.

I'll plan to holiday in the States so.

Paddy Garcia
25/08/2008, 7:51 PM
I would like to see Lawerance and McCarthy or St. Ledger brought into the squad. But as Trap is only here for 2 years, the only time given to impress was in Portugal.

Agree, Lawrence and St Ledger should certainly be in the mix. Central defence, in particular, is a disaster zone if Dunne is missing,

tetsujin1979
25/08/2008, 8:46 PM
Just watching the Portsmouth - Man United game, O'Shea is in midfield and by far their worst player. Gave away possession, needless frees, and was lucky not to be booked early on

Razors left peg
25/08/2008, 9:10 PM
Just watching the Portsmouth - Man United game, O'Shea is in midfield and by far their worst player. Gave away possession, needless frees, and was lucky not to be booked early on

little bit harsh I think, he did ok. Would still have him in ahead of Miller anyday in our midfield

musicinmouth
25/08/2008, 9:17 PM

I disagree, I think he broke up the game well at times. He was obviously under instructions to just sit in front of the back four and play simple passes, which he did well. He didn't make very mistakes. He definitely wasn't commanding or exciting to watch, but he did his job well.

zenokelly
25/08/2008, 10:35 PM
Ttrap isn't naming his team until next week, which is unusual, the majority of the squad normally assemble on Sunday.

From tomorrow's Irish Examiner:

Meanwhile, Giovanni Trapattoni will not unveil his squad for the back to back World Cup qualifiers against Georgia and Montenegro until next week.

While it is expected that the line-up will be almost identical to the one he took to Oslo for the 1-1 draw with Norway, the manager wants to wait until after the coming weekend’s programme of games in Britain in order to assess the up to date fitness of the players before naming the panel for his first competitive games in charge of Ireland. Once assembled, the squad will have their first training session in Dublin next Tuesday.

SkStu
26/08/2008, 1:08 AM
Brian Murphy should be in the squad ahead of Joe Murphy. No argument.

Bohemians are easily at a higher standard than Scunthorpe and Brians form over the last 2 seasons mean that he deserves his turn.

Absolutely disgraceful decision in my opinion. Anyone who wants to argue this - dont bother. I dont care what anyone else thinks, Brian Murphy is a super keeper.

Bohemian1890
26/08/2008, 1:40 AM
Brian Murphy should be in the squad ahead of Joe Murphy. No argument.

Bohemians are easily at a higher standard than Scunthorpe and Brians form over the last 2 seasons mean that he deserves his turn.

Absolutely disgraceful decision in my opinion. Anyone who wants to argue this - dont bother. I dont care what anyone else thinks, Brian Murphy is a super keeper.

Id agree with you as im sure most people who saw him in action would agree.

But i expect the Ole Ole brigade to say that scunthorpe play at a higher standard than Bohs and that Joe Murphy is better as he made a great save last week on Sky Sports News and they didnt see Brain Murphy on tv so Joe Murphy has to be better:rolleyes:

NeilMcD
26/08/2008, 9:08 AM
Yeah I agree but do we really want Murphy away for the St Pats game. I don't anyway esp as he would only be third choice at best. I do agree though Murphy is a great keeper and it is only a matter of time before he is snapped from Bohs. Not called Super Keeper for nothing.

Cloggs
26/08/2008, 1:47 PM
Id agree with you as im sure most people who saw him in action would agree.

But i expect the Ole Ole brigade to say that scunthorpe play at a higher standard than Bohs and that Joe Murphy is better as he made a great save last week on Sky Sports News and they didnt see Brain Murphy on tv so Joe Murphy has to be better:rolleyes:

if people haven't seen brian murphy in action they should check out mns on the rte website as he made countless excellent saves against galway at the weekend when bohs went down to nine men.very good keeper and worth a call up imo.

boovidge
26/08/2008, 2:52 PM
St Ledger in for Bruce

Morrison or Folan in for Long

Jamie McCarthy (or anyone!) in for Miller

Perhaps squeeze Lawrence in somewhere.

Fergie's Son
26/08/2008, 3:22 PM

Then why post on a discussion board? I'd be curious to see who gets paid more of the two Murphy's. It's the best objective criteria that we have.

NeilMcD
26/08/2008, 3:31 PM
Come on Fergie, do you really think that is the only way to judge a player. Lucas Neill is on 80,000 a week at West Ham, do you reckon he is better that Steve Finnan or Wes Brown or Alan Hutton or Sagna.

SkStu
26/08/2008, 3:39 PM
Then why post on a discussion board? I'd be curious to see who gets paid more of the two Murphy's. It's the best objective criteria that we have.

that post is the reason i dont want to argue over it. I mean, please...

also, message boards are not for arguing, theyre for posting opinions. Post your own but dont bother attacking mine.

Razors left peg
26/08/2008, 3:53 PM
just as a matter of interest what height is Brian Murphy

26/08/2008, 4:19 PM
yeh iv always thought he looked small on tele...could be wrong though.

Bohemian1890
26/08/2008, 4:32 PM

That is the such a stupid thing to say O'shea was getting more than Dunne last year so O'shea a better player than Dunne now??

Brian Murphy rejected new deals at both Man City and Swansea he left them they wanted to keep him.

Bristol City the team Trundle plays for chased him after last season but he stayed at Bohs,i dont remember them going for Joe Murphy.

eirebhoy
26/08/2008, 4:38 PM
I disagree, I think he broke up the game well at times. He was obviously under instructions to just sit in front of the back four and play simple passes, which he did well. He didn't make very mistakes. He definitely wasn't commanding or exciting to watch, but he did his job well.
I think that says a lot about O'Sheas standards. He looked a poor to average player last night imo.

SkStu
26/08/2008, 4:43 PM
Murphy isnt far off 6 foot. Either way, i think Shay Given dispels the myth that a shorter GK cannot be a world class goalkeeper.

Anyone who is interested in checkin out Murphys credentials, pop down to Dalyer tonight and go watch him. Simple as that really if youre based in Dublin.

Razors left peg
26/08/2008, 4:46 PM
Murphy isnt far off 6 foot. Either way, i think Shay Given dispels the myth that a shorter GK cannot be a world class goalkeeper.

Anyone who is interested in checkin out Murphys credentials, pop down to Dalyer tonight and go watch him. Simple as that really if youre based in Dublin.

Shay is 6'1... hes not as small as alot of people think he is.

boovidge
26/08/2008, 4:56 PM
[quote=SkStu;1007276]Shay Given dispels the myth that a shorter GK cannot be a world class goalkeeper.[quote]

And I think the womens' goalkeeping at the olympics reinforces that myth :D

SkStu
26/08/2008, 5:08 PM
And I think the womens' goalkeeping at the olympics reinforces that myth :D

nah, i think that just reinforces the fact that women shouldnt play soccer... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38089000/jpg/_38089268_seaman_afp300.jpg) :D

by the way, Murphy is listed as 6 foot on the Swansea website...

http://www.scfc.co.uk/bmurphy.html

boovidge
26/08/2008, 5:23 PM
nah, i think that just reinforces the fact that women shouldnt play soccer... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38089000/jpg/_38089268_seaman_afp300.jpg) :D

My hair's actually considerably longer than that :o

Maybe that's why I'm terrible at football ;)

Diarmo
27/08/2008, 10:41 AM
Saw that Darren Potter has appearantly been added to the phantom squad. Unusual considering he can't get a game for Wolves at the moment and is on the transfer list. I'd personally have:

Garvan
McCann
Rowlands
Delap

ahead of him.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2008/0827/1219680033111.html

tetsujin1979
28/08/2008, 8:53 AM
from http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/german-city-not-interested-in-hosting-georgia-game-1464609.html

Trapattoni will name his squad for the double header with Georgia and Montenegro (http://www.independent.ie/topics/Montenegro) today, with the party set to depart for their destination unknown next Thursday