PDA

View Full Version : buying a computer

SkStu
23/08/2008, 6:13 PM
hello foot.ie fountain of knowledge...

myself and herself are getting a new home PC as the one we have is just so slow and riddled with crap. I was on the dell website attempting to build a PC for us and maybe a laptop too.

Thing is, there are so many options to choose form and i dont really know what is necessary and what isnt... we would use our current PC just for basic stuff, MS Office apps, internet, music, video, photos etc... so im wondering what stuff is a "must" for a PC? How much memory, etc etc...

any help would be much appreciated...

Cheers

kdjaC
23/08/2008, 8:08 PM
A new basic pc will come with Vista and Vista needs ram lots of it.

If you going with a laptop any dell laptop with 2gb of ram will do ( once you kill all the dell ****e from starting up they pretty solid laptops).

If you want a cheap bad ass pc

http://www.jes.de/product_info.php?pID=61584&seo=Hyrican-%22Machine-from-hell-is-back%22&MWbusiness=a09714fd72597533f5081b734c9a18c1

site is in german but bang for the buck you wont get better than that (no monitor with that). Excellent pc tho.

kdjac

centre mid
23/08/2008, 9:34 PM
get a decent external hard drive and your sorted, store all your music, films etc on that and your laptop will stay fast.

tetsujin1979
24/08/2008, 4:15 AM
If you're into Linux, a machine that runs crap with Vista will do the job nicely with a decent Linux distrobution. I'd recommend rewriting the whole hard drive straight away with your favorite distrobution - Ubuntu, Xubuntu, EdUbuntu, etc

Pauro 76
24/08/2008, 8:44 AM
Im a huge fan of Apple Macs, and have a MacBook. No complaints, if you're worried about price, just ask for ex-display model, they'll knock off a few quid generally. it's not really value for money though but it will do everything a Pc can and more but for a pc of that spec it will be a lot cheaper. A MacBook will wow people too with its features and it's an absolute joy to use. You can always get an external hard drive for 70 or so euro too if you're worried about storing movies etc...

James
28/08/2008, 10:13 PM
typing this on me macbook pro
love the machine

had a dell laptop but gave it to me sister once i started using ze mac

soo much less hassle / no blue screen of death / no virus's and everything just works like you expect things too

the job:):)

Pauro 76
29/08/2008, 5:14 AM
love the machine

soo much less hassle / no blue screen of death / no virus's and everything just works like you expect things too

A man of exquisite taste! Well done sir! My only black mark against it, the white exterior is a f*cker to keep clean. But aside from that, a beautfiul piece of kit. :)

strangeirish
29/08/2008, 2:29 PM
love the machine
Like the Dell laptop myself. Especially the shift key.:D