PDA

View Full Version : How much worse can it get?

Massop 10
23/08/2008, 4:37 PM
After watching last nights "performance" from The Town can it realy get any worse ? No passion and no fight. Nobody wanting to throw a body in front of a ball to stop a shot and then letting players shoot (and score) from 30 yards out. Schoolboys know that if you afford a player space like that they will shoot but our strikers WON'T follow that lead and want to beat half the team first and then walk the ball in. Time for a reality check lads or next season we'll be in the 'A' championship and we would struggle there at the moment with the way it is going. I am not been harsh here this is fact and i wish it wasn't.

Keen2win
23/08/2008, 4:43 PM
We need a new manager for next season

the 12 th man
23/08/2008, 5:21 PM
Very bleak performance,the ironic thing was Town were having their best spell in the game at 0-0 in the last fifteen minutes of the first half when out of nowhere a shot from about 35 yds and then a defensive disaster and your going in with your head and 2-0 down at halftime.

Fair play to the lads who keep travelling to these away games.

Longfordian
23/08/2008, 5:34 PM
Something's going drastically wrong somewhere. I don't think we'll end up in the A League but that might be through luck rather than anything else the way things are going. I missed last night's match but from what I've seen lately there's a distinct lack of passion about them. Luckily enough I suppose, most of them aren't under contract for next year as far as I know. They're not doing much to earn new ones either. Depressing stuff really.

RonnieB
23/08/2008, 5:41 PM
Is it any wonder I drink?

Martinho II
23/08/2008, 6:00 PM
its the worst town team in well over ten years since mickey o connors days... as 12th man said they had a good spell just before shels first goal.. this game reminded me of carmarthen...

Longfordian
23/08/2008, 7:58 PM
Not quite as catastrophic as C********n considering the quality of the team we had then and the one we have now. Still it's not fun. It's certainly the worst run we've been on in 10+ years. Not a lot we can do about it now though. If we manage to avoid being relegated somehow then next year really has to be significantly better. That in no way implies that this year is great by the way.

Massop 10
23/08/2008, 9:29 PM
At this moment in time Kildare is only 4 points YES FOUR POINTS behind and they are starting to get a buzz going in the squad as we could see when they were in the Flansiro and won. It is OK talking about a new manager but who will want the job to be honest !! In my opinion the players now need to look at themselfs and question if they want to play or not. If not just bog off and give someone the place who will play with a bit of passion. I don't mind a team losing once they show PRIDE and PASSION in how they play. It is us paying our money to watch this passionless CRAP week in week out and to be honest I can understand why the crowds are staying at home. Ufortunatly I can't afford to get to many away games and last night I WASTED money that i could have spent on something I need to support players that don't seem to give two S#%@S about what they do and how we feel about it !!! I will still do my best to support the club as much as i can and go to the games at home but if i can't afford it i won't be missing out on important things to watch that PASSIONLESS COULDN'T CARELESS CRAP again. Come on players show some PRIDE, PASSION and FIGHT from now until the end of the season.

RonnieB
23/08/2008, 11:20 PM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.

LTFCfan
24/08/2008, 4:25 PM
Is it any wonder I drink?

I think everything is just great:) (http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r296/elfmoogle/cat%20macros/iz-mah-prozac.jpg)

Salmon Coloured
25/08/2008, 11:38 AM
Im afraid to go to Wexford on Friday night.

RonnieB
25/08/2008, 12:05 PM
You will be by yourself salmon ;) we play monaghan on Saturday night in flancare :)

Pauro 76
25/08/2008, 1:34 PM
Im home this Saturday. Ive got a 100% record with Town games this season. Watched 1 game, won 1 game. Leave it with me. :cool:

Cabs88
25/08/2008, 2:03 PM
Pauro, our saviour!!

Ash
25/08/2008, 2:31 PM
Pauro, our saviour!!

Must stop Pauro getting home .... ;)

From what I've heard, Aaron and Vinny have lost the dressing room and the players reckon they are bluffers

De Town
25/08/2008, 2:59 PM
From what I heard (from a relative of one of the players), Aaron went into the dressing room about 2 months ago and told the whole squad that they were pure ****e and that none of them will be playing for him next season.

Few observations from that:

1. Yes they are ****e, but as a manager half way through the season, you cant be telling all your players that they are ****e.

2. Why would the players be arsed to try if thats what their manager has told them?

3. Will Aaron be here next season himself the way things are going?

Longfordian
25/08/2008, 3:21 PM
If true that's not exactly encouraging for the rest of the season I must say. It all started off so promisingly too.

RonnieB
25/08/2008, 4:46 PM
Quite the genius stroke telling the players they are ****e and none of them will be playing for him next season. As already stated by De Town, why would you bother after been pretty much told yer out the door anyway.

Then again I know of players not being told they are in the squad then getting told 20 minutes before kickoff they are.

atfconline
25/08/2008, 5:33 PM
Callaghan a bluffer, who'da thunk it!

I wonder did he give ye the same great big long term plan for the club that he gave us. :)

Pauro 76
25/08/2008, 5:36 PM
Pauro, our saviour!!

Guys, I expect the Freedom of the Town if LTFC win this weekend! :cool:

Martinho II
25/08/2008, 8:46 PM
Quite the genius stroke telling the players they are ****e and none of them will be playing for him next season. As already stated by De Town, why would you bother after been pretty much told yer out the door anyway.

Then again I know of players not being told they are in the squad then getting told 20 minutes before kickoff they are.

would that be adrian cregg by any chance ronnie??;)

Martinho II
25/08/2008, 8:52 PM
[QUOTE=De Town;100643 Aaron went into the dressing room about 2 months ago and told the whole squad that they were pure ****e and that none of them will be playing for him next season.

if thats the case it explains why we have lost six of our last seven games. few of us in section o reckon that callaghan perth partnership is just not happenin.. too many comins and goins.. a major problem i have with the club this season is we dont know certain players have gone the only way you find out is if you know anybody close to the club plus we never know where our new signings come from.. its bad professionalism from the club.. the way our season is finishin i expect a change in management soon.. maybe we should have listened to the athlone lads when we appointed aaron.. i have no problem with aaron as a person but i dont think its suits him bein a manager personality wise.. we saw him in the past on numerous occasions as asst mgr bein sent off how could we expect to change him? but strangely enough he hasnt bein sent off yet, vinny has

Rocky77
25/08/2008, 9:03 PM
Must stop Pauro getting home .... ;)

From what I've heard, Aaron and Vinny have lost the dressing room and the players reckon they are bluffers

I heard the opposite from one of the lads that left over the summer. Seemed Aaron reckoned that a lot of the fringe players and amateurs were to be released before injuries struck. He put it to me that with Shay retired, Ryan O'Donnell gone and Bermingham, Frawley and Casey injured our first-choice back five were gone. Hardly the basis of success.

He said he loved workign with the boys and was sorry to leave.

That said, there's no way we should have lost as many games as we did in series 3.

RonnieB
25/08/2008, 9:09 PM
would that be adrian cregg by any chance ronnie??;)

Actually it isn't, this player is still with the club.

Martinho II
25/08/2008, 9:28 PM
Actually it isn't, this player is still with the club.

ronnie pm me with the details will you please??

Salmon Coloured
26/08/2008, 7:28 AM
You will be by yourself salmon ;) we play monaghan on Saturday night in flancare :)

Thanks for the heads up Ronnie. Im hoping to make the game Saturday evening. Things looking bleak right now. I wont give up on anyone running the club just yet. Vinny Perth is in first season in Management & id give him time. As for Aaron i dont know, Athlone were terrible under him but i suppose we do have injuries. Anyway if any of ye thought this season was going to smell of roses you were mistaken. This could be a very long haul.

Massop 10
26/08/2008, 10:42 AM
I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing this crap about injuries ! Look at the size of the squad that was there at the start of the season and not to many were given a chance and even now there is good players not getting a look in. There seems to be favortism towards some players which is a downfall in any club in any sport. I realy am questioning if the managment has what it takes now that the pressure is on. I also have to question the training that is been done as the team seems to be running out of steam in the last 15 or so minutes of games or is it just the lack of intrest. This would figure if Aaron told them they are sh**e anyway. If it is true that he said that then he should be let go with imediate effect as he is a total negitive to the team. I personally think the club is now in a downward spiral as a result of what is going on in the dressing room and on the pitch. The hard and trojan work been carried out by the people in the background is becoming a waste of time because in my opinion there is something fundamentaly wrong somewhere along the chain of command from the very top to the playing staff. GET IT SORTED for the sake of the club as a whole !!!!!

Cabs88
26/08/2008, 10:44 AM
if thats the case it explains why we have lost six of our last seven games. few of us in section o reckon that callaghan perth partnership is just not happenin.. too many comins and goins.. a major problem i have with the club this season is we dont know certain players have gone the only way you find out is if you know anybody close to the club plus we never know where our new signings come from.. its bad professionalism from the club.. the way our season is finishin i expect a change in management soon.. maybe we should have listened to the athlone lads when we appointed aaron.. i have no problem with aaron as a person but i dont think its suits him bein a manager personality wise.. we saw him in the past on numerous occasions as asst mgr bein sent off how could we expect to change him? but strangely enough he hasnt bein sent off yet, vinny has

in fairness there were always gonna be comings and goings this season as we had to assemble nearly an entire squad with time running out before the season started, trying out players and letting them go. I agree with ur argument about the club not releasing information, but we have always been poor with regards pr.
I believe that vinny and aaron should be given time before everyone condemning them, vinny is new to the management side of things, he will make mistakes, and Callaghan is one of the most qualified coaches in the league, that doesnt mean he should be kept on those merits, but surely its time some of the players stood up and be counted.

Martinho II
26/08/2008, 9:19 PM
theres no excuses at all. damien rushe has bein playin for years with athlone. ryan casey has experience in the top flight with cork city. pats ,galway utd. darren mckenna has played in the top flight with mons and played for kildare co ,shels.neil gallagher with dundalk and ucd.. and then there s daire doyle.. the lack of leadership is shockin...:(

Rocky77
27/08/2008, 1:44 PM
This would figure if Aaron told them they are sh**e anyway. If it is true that he said that then he should be let go with imediate effect as he is a total negitive to the team.

Thing is, i'd be amazed if there was a manager in the League who HADN'T at one point or another called their players s***e. It goes on, I know it does, and it sounds worse out of context anyway. It's how the players react that matters. They've all got contracts and should be prepared to see them out in a professional.

Massop 10
27/08/2008, 3:46 PM
As far as i know most of the players are on amateur terms so with them not getting paid they will need motavation not been told after a game that they are sh**e when I'm sure at this stage they must be feeling like that anyway with the record so far this season. It is ok to point out mistakes and show how to fix it but point blank calling someone sh**e is not the answer as that is a quick way to lose a dressing room which i think is what has happened ! Last friday the team showed as much intrest (with the exception of 1 or 2) as someone going to get a tooth pulled !! Something looks rotten in the set-up.

Salmon Coloured
27/08/2008, 4:12 PM
I like Massop 10's intensity.

Battery Rover
27/08/2008, 4:24 PM
The way things are going Athlone vs Longford on the last day of the season could be a relegation play off decider

Longfordian
27/08/2008, 5:29 PM
I don't know if the teams in the A League will finish high enough but that's a scary thought. Athlone could finish above us for the first time in what 10 or 11 seasons?

Battery Rover
27/08/2008, 5:38 PM
Athlone could finish above us for the first time in what 10 or 11 seasons?

As it was always meant to be. Normal service resumed:p

RonnieB
27/08/2008, 5:47 PM
Sneaky hoors, taking us down from the inside ;)

Rocky77
27/08/2008, 7:50 PM
I'm not particularly interested in players who need their noses wiped and a hug from mammy if their manager has harsh words. They need to get a grip, this is SENIOR football. Doolin, Fenlon, Rico etc would have had harsh words for their players over the years and it hasn't done them any harm. If they think they're being under-appreciated there's only one answer.

Salmon Coloured, how do you like that for intensity? ;)

Ash
28/08/2008, 9:03 AM
ryan casey has experience in the top flight with cork city. pats ,galway utd.

Correction to that ... Ryan Casey has experience in top flight with physios from cork city, pats ,galway utd. :p

Salmon Coloured
28/08/2008, 9:31 AM
I'm not particularly interested in players who need their noses wiped and a hug from mammy if their manager has harsh words. They need to get a grip, this is SENIOR football. Doolin, Fenlon, Rico etc would have had harsh words for their players over the years and it hasn't done them any harm. If they think they're being under-appreciated there's only one answer.

Salmon Coloured, how do you like that for intensity? ;)

Its up there & keep that standard up. Too much bluff on this Forum sometimes. Lets keep it intense or you can go on the Sporting Fingal section.

Massop 10
28/08/2008, 9:55 AM
Look I know it is SENIOR football but any good man-manager knows that the only way to get the best out of your staff is to show RESPECT to them and have a CONSTRUCTIVE way of pointing out wrong doings ! Any top manager in football or business will tell you that. I have played enough differant sports to have found this out and also managed people in business to know how you get best results. I also know that the team i play for at the moment is doing well because everybody shows each other respect and goes the extra mile for the team, this is what is missing in the town team !!! I have seen how some Gaa managers operate and thats where I see a total lack of respect and its like a dictatorship and these are the LESS successful ones. Of course players have to take it if a manager goes off on one in the heat of the moment but at the same time the manager must also be man enough to realise if he went to far and sort out any differances before it affects the team spirit. That is where Fenlon, Richardson, Matthews, Kenny got there success from - Players WANTED to play for them. Who wants to play for a manager who just says "your sh**e" if you just had a stinker of a game and you think that yourself already !! Thats when you need a positive word or two and at the next training session the manager should point out the mistakes and ways to improve it. Even more so with a young squad like the town this season.

Macy
28/08/2008, 10:03 AM
Maybe they've been trying the positive approach and it hasn't been working? We were hardly expecting a lovey dovey approach with an O'Callaghan/ Perth combo...

Rocky77
28/08/2008, 1:36 PM
That is where Fenlon, Richardson, Mathews, Kenny got there success from - Players WANTED to play for them.

Prunty wanted to leave soon after Alan took over, Mooney actually wanted out at one point last year due to differences with him. Both knuckled down, both improved as players.

Rico tore the balls off Kevin Hunt at Gillingahm when Hunty was in the Youths and Rico was first team boss. Let rip at him in the dressing room at half time in a Youth's game in front of his team-mates.

I recently heard Eddie Gormley tell Gavin Whelan he was s***te and was going to take him off. I'm telling you, this happens at every club

Massop 10
28/08/2008, 5:16 PM
Ask around the town team at the moment and if the players told the truth i don't think to many are happy. Just watch them play and you can see that ! The examples you give are just one off and to one person not a whole team and they got on with it. That was heat of the moment stuff that just gets forgot about. If you were at the last town game in Athlone you would have seen that things between Aaron and Vinny does not look good either so based on all that I have seen and heard from various people MY opinion is that Aaron needs to pull in his horns and try to be more patient with his YOUNG squad who will just go to a better man-manager to develop and he must also listen to his ASSISTANT more cos as the title suggests he is there to assist not just run arrond after him !!!!

Pauro 76
29/08/2008, 7:17 AM
Vinny for Manager anyone?

Rocky77
29/08/2008, 10:19 AM
Aaron for me

RonnieB
29/08/2008, 12:21 PM
I think I would make a great manager. My calm collected thoughts, random bouts of Tourettes, the ability to have 10 pints and still find the toilet. And I play champ manager a lot..

Pauro 76
29/08/2008, 12:31 PM
I think I would make a great manager. My calm collected thoughts, random bouts of Tourettes, the ability to have 10 pints and still find the toilet. And I play champ manager a lot..

RonnieB OUT!

Rocky77
29/08/2008, 12:55 PM
And I play champ manager a lot..

But have you brought back-to-back European Cups to the Flansiro?... Cos I have ;)

RonnieB
29/08/2008, 12:56 PM
I got us relegated ;)

Rocky77
29/08/2008, 1:19 PM
Well then I'll get Roddy as my No 2. Everyone knows he never got anyone relegated.

Tough break Ronnie!