PDA

View Full Version : Best Album of 1998

jebus
21/08/2008, 10:19 AM
Here's the picks for this year, videos will go up tomorrow

Albums that just missed the cut include Pulp, Garbage, Outkast, Marilyn Manson, Mercury Rev, Elliott Smith and Godspeed You Black Emperor.

A solid, if not spectacular, year for music I feel. For me it's beween Smashing Pumpkins and Air, I may need some time to choose between those two to be fair

jebus
21/08/2008, 10:28 AM
Eep! forgot to put an Other choice in, so just include it in your message and it will be counted at the end

stann
21/08/2008, 10:32 AM
Would be between Air and Mercury Rev for me, with Massive Attack in close attendance. Also, as I've waffled on about elsewhere, Eels, Asian Dub Foundation and Transglobal Underground chipped in with outstanding efforts. And I'd forgot about the Fatboy Slim one, a cracking album too.
Pish and tish on this average talk, a great year for albums, but Air to win, no question!

The Good Son
21/08/2008, 10:38 AM
Do compilations count? If so, then my vote goes to 'Other', The Beta Band- The Three E.P.'s.

jebus
21/08/2008, 10:40 AM
Do compilations count? If so, then my vote goes to 'Other', The Beta Band- The Three E.P.'s.

Judgement call - Beta Band always counts :)

Shamefully I completely forgot that that album was released in 1998

noby
21/08/2008, 10:42 AM
Eep! forgot to put an Other choice in

No need for Other this time round.

Pauro 76
21/08/2008, 10:58 AM
Voted Mezzanine by Massive Attack, a dark masterpiece but with some wonderful moments. And I forgot there were some amazing albums bubbling under. Average year for music? I take it back now. For the silver and bronze, Smashing Pumpkins - Adore, an amazingly beautiful album, and surprisingly Mansun - Six. Took me a good while to get into and even wrote it off on the first few listens. but an under-rated classic. Placebo - Without You Im Nothing in the running too. Mechanical Animals forgot about too.

holidaysong
21/08/2008, 11:21 AM
It's an other for me:

Hole - Celebrity Skin.

Dodge
21/08/2008, 11:24 AM
Some good choices. Voted for Air, but special mention for Lauren Hill with one of the last great Hip Hop/R'n'B albums

Bluebeard
21/08/2008, 11:26 AM
Between Air and Belle & Sebastian for me this time around: plumbed for Air and discovered that teh Waterford Limerick Musical Love-in is on again:cool:

And joined now by Dodge:eek:

Do you have a parent or grandparent with a Munster accent Dodge?

noby
21/08/2008, 11:32 AM
plumbed for Air and discovered that teh Waterford Limerick Musical Love-in is on again:cool:

Love-in me hole. I'm off to sulk in the corner.

Air were a close second alright. And I don't care how that first sentence reads; it's staying.

Macy
21/08/2008, 12:14 PM
Other: 3 EPs - The Beta Band.

Brilliant brilliant band, and a brilliant, brilliant Album. If it's a compilation, who cares, still the best of the year - they didn't appear on any other album, so I reckon it's in.

Wolfie
21/08/2008, 12:31 PM
Other: "Bring it On" by Gomez.

GuisaSaigon
21/08/2008, 1:55 PM
Air- Moon safari
Closely followed by Gomez - Bring it on

monzo
21/08/2008, 2:35 PM
As good as Pearl Jam's Yield is, I'm going for The Beta Band- The Three E.P.'s.

I probably should get Mezzanine considering the fact I really like 100th Window and Collected.

centre mid
21/08/2008, 2:38 PM
Fairly underwhelming year for music, Brittany Spears, Christina Aquelira etc, Fat Boy Slim just shades it for me.

noby
21/08/2008, 2:42 PM
Yet another poll over as soon as it begins, me thinks.

holidaysong
21/08/2008, 3:06 PM
As good as Pearl Jam's Yield is, I'm going for The Beta Band- The Three E.P.'s.

I forgot Yield was 1998 - I'm going to change my vote. I listened to that album for 6 months straight when I got it. Still my favourite Pearl Jam album.

razor
21/08/2008, 3:17 PM
Like the Fatboy Slim, Placebo & Morcheeba

but I think Embrace " The Good Will Out" gets my vote.

Other

superfrank
21/08/2008, 4:11 PM
OutKast's Aquemini, no contest. My favourite hip hop album of all time.

kingdom hoop
21/08/2008, 7:08 PM
Finally looks like an album I really like will win. Bon jouer mes Francophile amis! :)

On that note, I better keep it French-oriented by giving the silver medal to Manu Chao's Clandestino, with bronze going to Manau (no relation to Chao I don't think) and Panique Celtique, the album that delighted those long-hoping for a hybrid of Alan Stivell and MC Solaar to come along. Yes, 'breton-harp hip-hop' does exist. :D

Transglobal Underground

Some great imagery on that album. "Egyptian pharaohs fell from the sky, fell from the sky, and played the blues." :D

Pauro 76
22/08/2008, 2:13 PM
am a little bit surprised so many people voted for air, love that album though, perfect background music ;)

For dinner parties? ;) I'm actually quite surprised Fatboy Slim is in the running. I never really took to it at all. Finding myself re-listening to albums from this poll and downloading ones I've somehow missed too....

Lionel Ritchie
24/08/2008, 9:36 AM
The year of the Fatboy. YCALWB will, in years to come, be elevated to and spoken of in the company of records like Dark Side of the Moon, Electric Ladyland, White Album. Oh ...and I STILL don't like Praise You. Sounds like something Bobby feckin Gillespie would come up with.

Other favourites of mine from 1998 are Under the Great Western Freeway by Grandaddy, Four Lads who shook the Wirral by HMHB and Hellbilly Deluxe by Rob Zombie.

Terry
24/08/2008, 9:39 AM
went for fatboy slim on the basis that there isn't an "other" option. Metallicas garage inc ablum would have been my no.1 choice with there version of whiskey in the jar being my favourite song on it.

Lionel Ritchie
24/08/2008, 11:08 AM
went for fatboy slim on the basis that there isn't an "other" option. Metallicas garage inc ablum would have been my no.1 choice with there version of whiskey in the jar being my favourite song on it.

One of my favourite LPs of the year as well Terry. I didn't list it as there's no "new" music as such on it. Great record all the same though.

Some one mentioned 98 being a bad year for the music due to the emergence of the Britneys and Christinas ...I think those high-gloss production pop acts had always been about in numbers but something almost sinister did happen in terms of their being touted by the so called alternative/legitimate/serious music press.

Robbie Williams, I remember in particular, had his entire career quite unscrupulously re-evaluated by the NMEs, MMs, Qs, HPs to portray him as a frustrated rebel -trapped in a the straightjacket of mainstream pop in TT but now emerging as some sort of Bowie-esque genius -redeemed and forgiven because he hung out with Oasis for a night.