PDA

View Full Version : Baden Baden

frano
12/09/2003, 4:44 PM
There are a couple of us flying into Baden Baden due to Ryan Airs bust up with the French resulting in there ban from Strasbourg. The french apparently objecting to Ryan Air's use of outside bogs!
I was wondering if anyone has found any info on the trains from Baden Baden to Basel, and the cost of the trains.

Volltreffer
12/09/2003, 4:48 PM
There are direct trains to Basel. Here you find all the trains leaving from Baden-Baden:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/bhftafel.exe/dn?seqnr=1&ident=ds.014536164.1063729985&evaId=723537&boardType=dep&time=00:00&productsDefault=1111101000000000&start=yes

I'll try to find out about prices.

Volltreffer
12/09/2003, 4:59 PM
Can you tell me on what days you're going to travel and how old you are? I think the Germans have quite a complicated system of reductions and special offers.

Chips
16/09/2003, 4:16 PM
We are flying into baden baden on friday morning. I'm 24, not sure how old the others are though

tiktok
16/09/2003, 5:08 PM
If there are up to five of you travelling together you can avail of this deal travelling from Baden Baden to Basel, I've used it before and it works perfectly.

Weekend ticket (http://www.bahn.de/pv/int_guest/offers/pv2_offers_national.shtml#1)

28euros, for nothing

Volltreffer
16/09/2003, 6:04 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
Weekend ticket (http://www.bahn.de/pv/int_guest/offers/pv2_offers_national.shtml#1)

28euros, for nothing

Great offer, I didn't know that one. And the distance is not too big to use local trains only. However I'm confused by the 12 a.m. bit: Is it supposed to mean noon or midnight? Because the German page says 0.00, which is midnight.

I tried to get some information at the German railway station in Basel, I went to a sign that read "Information", the only information they could give me was to queue at the ticket counter (where there were about 15 people waiting), so I gave up. When I asked for a leaflet about the "good evening ticket" I was told they didn't have any. I've only just found out over the internet that this ticket has been replaced by weekend ticket. That's German customers service ... :rolleyes:

Basel has two railway stations, the German one (Badischer Bahnhof) and the Swiss one (Bahnhof SBB). The weekend ticket will not be valid for the transfer from Badischer Bahnhof to Bahnhof SBB, but the distance is so short that I think your ticket is unlikely to be checked. If you write where in Basel you're staying, I can tell you which station is nearer.

Neil
16/09/2003, 6:10 PM
Originally posted by Volltreffer
Great offer, I didn't know that one. And the distance is not too big to use local trains only. However I'm confused by the 12 a.m. bit:

If you write where in Basel you're staying, I can tell you which station is nearer.

I'm confused by the bit that says "If there are up to 5 of you..." you can avail of the offer....

There's four of us so...?

Our hotel is Alexander in Basle... Which station is that nearer? And is it a good hotel?

:ball:

Volltreffer
16/09/2003, 6:20 PM
Since I'm living in Basel, I can't tell you much about hotels. Hotel Alexander is close to the German station.

Up to five people means that you pay EUR 28 for 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 people. Which means that if you're a group of 3 you'd better look for 2 more people to travel with you, so it will be cheaper for everyone.

The internet says the ticket is valid from midnight to 3 a.m. on the following day, on the phone they told me it was from 3 a.m. to 3 a.m. on the following day. One of them is probably correct. :p I've heard negative things about German railway information, now I'm starting to believe them.

tiktok
16/09/2003, 7:11 PM
I thought the website would be clearer, but i'll attempt it.

the weekend ticket costs 28euro regardless of numbers (up to a maximum of five). You can buy them at every Rail Station, just ask for the Schones-Wochenende-Ticket (or Happy-Weekend-Ticket).
Valid Times are:
midnight friday to 3am Sunday Morning (i.e. valid all day Sat +3hr)
midnight saturday to 3am Monday morning (all day Sun +3hr).

so if you're travelling down on the Friday it won't apply until after midnight, so it will only be of use to those travelling down saturday morning and those heading back up on Sunday especially.

Neil, if there are four of you, seven euros from Baden Baden to Basel is nothing, although you're free to grab any other person at the station, there doesn't have to be a group/family connection to split the cost further.

Volltreffer, thanks for all the advice :)

Volltreffer
16/09/2003, 7:30 PM

You're welcome, I've learned something too.

Just don't forget: local trains only (according to bahn.de these are RB...., IRE... or RE...). You can find them here:

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/e

For "selected public transport", choose "only local transport".

Neil
17/09/2003, 1:05 AM

Neil, if there are four of you, seven euros from Baden Baden to Basel is nothing, although you're free to grab any other person at the station, there doesn't have to be a group/family connection to split the cost further.

Cheers! I got it now!
We're heading down on the Friday morning so it's irrespective after all that...!

Paulie
17/09/2003, 11:21 AM
Has anybody heard of any cheap rail deals to get from Frankfurt to Basel? The only price we have heard of for a return ticket, heading out on Thursday and coming back on Sunday, is in the region of €120. Any ideas for cheaper alternatives would be appreciated.

Ozymandias
17/09/2003, 11:27 AM
Voltreffer...what staion do I need to use as I am coming from paris on the TGV to basel and then staying in liestal. Can we get the train to liestal from the same station....cheers mate..buy u a pint when we get there

Ozy

Junior
17/09/2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Paulie
Has anybody heard of any cheap rail deals to get from Frankfurt to Basel? The only price we have heard of for a return ticket, heading out on Thursday and coming back on Sunday, is in the region of €120. Any ideas for cheaper alternatives would be appreciated.

Thats what we are doing on the Saturday morning coming back Sunday (I worked it out at about 80 euro return). However, there is about 12 of us in all, so we are looking at getting a group ticket where you can get a discount.

Where did you get that price from.

Heres a link if you haven't already tried it.

http://www.bahn.de/pv/uebersicht/die_bahn_international_guests.shtml

frano
17/09/2003, 12:30 PM
A lot of you have been talking about local trains to Basle. I don't know the prices but I know the ICE train takes about 90mins to do the run. I saw these trains in Munich the other week and they look like the German version of the bullet train. With that in mind does anyone know how much the ICE train is.
The journey times for the local trians would also be handy, as if they stop at all stations it could be quite a while. That won't make any difference to us as we'll be heading down on thursday or friday, but for those travelling on saturday morning it could be worth checking out.

All the info so far has been really handy............fair play.

chrisk75
17/09/2003, 12:37 PM
@ travellers from baden baden: keep in mind that the airport baden baden is quite some way off the station. you might take a taxi from baden baden airpark to the station baden baden, but its with approx. €25 quite expensive. between mon and fri there's a bus going between airport and station, costs around 2 euros.

if your are going on sat and sunday, then the weekend ticket is indeed the best choice, even though you are only allowed to use local trains (marked RE or RB) and the ride will take you 2:45h one way from baden baden to basel.

if you are going down to basel thu or fri, the one-way ride baden-baden to basel will cost you 22,20 Euros when you only use local trains (2:45h ride) or 27 euros (1:25h ride) when you use fast trains called inter city or euro city (marked IC and EC). avoid using the "ICE"-Train between baden baden and basel which is a lot more expensive, but not faster at all compared to an IC/EC, since they are going the same tracks. (its a different story when you're going between frankfurt and basel, THEN the ICE train is worth the money since its driving at 250 km/h between frankfurt and baden baden!) ! i therefore suggest to use IC and EC trains on weekdays for the ride from baden baden to basel.

@paulie: a one way ticket frankfurt-basel is 55 euro (2:39h) and a round trip ticket from frankfurt to basel and back costs you 110 euros. it will cover the fast and comfortable "ICE-train". actually you might slash costs down to 40 euros for one way via taking slower trains, but then you'll have to switch at least twice and the ride will take at least two hours longer. probably wont get any cheaper than 110 euros fuer a round trip.
what you can do: go to basel on thursday for 55 euros and then go back on sunday with the "weekend ticket", only using regional trains marked with RE and RB. it will cost you 28 euros for a whole group up to five people (see above for details), but keep in mind that this ride will take six hours and you have to switch trains three times between basel and frankfurt.

if you need any further advice, just email me.

greets, chris

chrisk75
17/09/2003, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Junior
Thats what we are doing on the Saturday morning coming back Sunday (I worked it out at about 80 euro return). However, there is about 12 of us in all, so we are looking at getting a group ticket where you can get a discount.

Junior: If you are travelling in groups you DEFINITELY get a huge discount if you are at least 6 people going.

it is about

60% when booking one week in advance

50% when booking the day you actually go (discount on the regular prices i mentioned above)

keep in mind

- that when travelling with group discounts you HAVE to use the trains you booked in advance, otherwise you will be charged the full price with the other train you are using

- that there are only limited seats for travelling groups, i.e. the contingent for groups might be sold out if you decide to book right at the station just before going on the train (group tickets are NOT sold in trains).

heres the number for information and booking group travels in advance: +49-1805-995511

but anyhow if you don't want to book in advance it's worth finding together in groups of at least six people going to basel, no matter if youre going from frankfurt or baden baden (maybe get together on the plane or at the station) and THEN get a group ticket right at the ticket desk at the station (group tickets not sold in trains!). it's worth a try.

Ozymandias
17/09/2003, 2:07 PM
Lads...You can book european mainline rail tickets through iarnrod Éireann... I booked my return tickets from paris to basel...€67.....great price cheaper than on the web...they have a number in the book for european bookings..it is on their website as well..ring them and they will tell ya everything.

Éire Abú...C'mon Ireland

Paulie
17/09/2003, 2:21 PM
Originally posted by Junior

It was one of the lads in my group that saw that price but I think he saw it on German tourist site, sorry I can't be more specific. Also I know someone that went to Basel last year using the same route and she said that I could expect to pay in the region of 120 for the train.

See the message from Chrisk75 further down the thread for further inf.

Volltreffer
17/09/2003, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by Ozymandias
Voltreffer...what staion do I need to use as I am coming from paris on the TGV to basel and then staying in liestal. Can we get the train to liestal from the same station....

It's Basel SBB for both trains.

For Swiss trains look here:

http://www.sbb.ch/pv/index_e.htm

If you're confused by Basel SBB (France) and Basel SBB: it's both the same station, it just means you have to walk through customs.

Ozymandias
17/09/2003, 2:47 PM
Fair Play to y voltreffer.......there will be a drink waiting for ya when we arrive......hopefullly the result will suit both countries

tiktok
17/09/2003, 4:55 PM
Originally posted by Paulie
Has anybody heard of any cheap rail deals to get from Frankfurt to Basel?

German Rail English (http://www.bahn.de/pv/uebersicht/die_bahn_international_guests.shtml)

You can check on this site for times and prices travelling down on the Thursday.

As for heading back on the sunday, the weekend ticket mentioned earlier, five travellers for 28euro will apply, it would take much longer though as you have to take regional trains, so you could have three or four changes.

Check from Basel SBB to Frankfurt airport and on the options button on the bottom click without ICE,CE and it'll give you times and possible iteneraries.

dereek
08/10/2003, 11:25 PM
i have being following yer info on getting to Basel
were going over Friday night so thank's to all for the help.
regards
Derek Lynch