PDA

View Full Version : Remembering 83

rambler14
18/08/2008, 6:06 PM
Having seen the picture in tonights Evening Echo of the crowd up in Flower Lodge it dawned on me that it's 25 Years since the series of marathon games in the FAI Cup semi-final.

Which brings me to the reason why I started this thread:
Why hasn't there been anything to commemorate this anniversary? Both clubs are strapped for cash and could use the extra-revenue and there has been nothing planned!
-By this I mean presenting the 83 team at half-time during one of the matches and maybe inviting some of the Sligo team down.
-An event in the clubhouse where some of the team recall the events of the cup run.

Anything really??? Once again i'm very dissappointed to see the club missing out on a money spinning opportunity.................AGAIN!:(

Allstar
18/08/2008, 6:13 PM
How can ya parade a team at half time who got to the semi final's??
Now dont get me wrong because what they did was big for the club at the time.
Ex-Sligo players are NEVER gonna travel down to be paraded down at half time either. Cant see how that would make money????????????

Redshanks
18/08/2008, 6:17 PM
Are you the same Rambler -14 who said your sick **** of hearing about the 83 game and that theres plenty of more history to the Ramblers than 1983? :D

But maybe you have a point about using those historic events to the advantage of the clubs future!

rambler14
18/08/2008, 6:18 PM
How can ya parade a team at half time who got to the semi final's??
Now dont get me wrong because what they did was big for the club at the time.
Ex-Sligo players are NEVER gonna travel down to be paraded down at half time either. Cant see how that would make money????????????

They were a Munster Senior League Team within a whisker of an FAI Cup final.........thats why!
Those men put Cobh Ramblers F.C on the footballing map in Ireland and gave people in Cobh more passion about football than ever before. Just look at the picture in the Echo and the videos in youtube.

The half-time thing wouldn't make money but it might get the team going!

rambler14
18/08/2008, 6:22 PM
Are you the same Rambler -14 who said your sick **** of hearing about the 83 game and that theres plenty of more history to the Ramblers than 1983? :D

But maybe you have a point about using those historic events to the advantage of the clubs future!

Ironic isn't it!:D

Yesterday I was complaining about it, but one picture that I saw today has reignited my interest in the 1983 team.
Purely because I realised it was the 25th anniversary and I feel the club is missing out.

red bellied
18/08/2008, 6:47 PM
Dont know if ye have seen this or not but some footage of the final semi final replay here http://ie.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=redBELLIEDxxx

Marco
18/08/2008, 6:50 PM
Ironic isn't it!:D

Yesterday I was complaining about it, but one picture that I saw today has reignited my interest in the 1983 team.
Purely because I realised it was the 25th anniversary and I feel the club is missing out.

Tried to do something at home game against Sligo this year & was told that the players weren't interested in it. They sponsored a match a few seasons ago & they wanted to leave it at that. My opposite in Sligo, Keith said that Sligo were holding a commemerative dinner at the end of the season to mark their cup win of that year.

rambler14
18/08/2008, 6:54 PM
My opposite in Sligo, Keith said that Sligo were holding a commemerative dinner at the end of the season to mark their cup win of that year.

Surely the 1983 team should be guests of honour at the dinner dance this year so?

Marco
18/08/2008, 6:56 PM
Surely the 1983 team should be guests of honour at the dinner dance this year so?

They should, but do they want to? If we escape the mess we are in then it would be some dinner dance!

jamesd
18/08/2008, 10:54 PM
I would like to make the following suggestion which I believe may bring a positive spot-light on Cobh Ramblers and also help in gaining some potential sponsors.

A 25th Anniversary will always generate media awareness. I believe that Nationwide could be approached to do a feature about Cobh Ramblers FC and their journey from MSL and their exploits in 1983 to their winnng of 1st Division and into the Premier Division 2008.

It would be important to have some events lined up like a special Dinner Dance, etc featuring presentations to the 1983 Team and guest speakers.

This I believe will assist us in seeking financial assistance in securing the future of Cobh Ramblers.

What do ye all think??

rambler14
18/08/2008, 11:05 PM
What do ye all think??

How about keeping it in the thread thats already there!!!:mad:

Redshanks
19/08/2008, 8:07 AM
Now now boys, dont start bitching and doing what our club members do best. You both are on the same wavelength and are trying to whats best and right for the club. Does it matter who came up with the idea first?

Question? - Do the 83 team deserve to be remembered in some propper way, a way that might attract some national coverage and help bring in some revenue for the club?

I'm not sure of the point that Marco was trying to make, because if we accept that the 83 team does deserve some positive and propper tribute, then it shouldnt matter a hoot what our existing team players think (thats if I read Marcos post correctly).

We all know theres no comparison with the 83 fete and what was won last year, but in other respects, the 83 run was far more significant. The following and support generated at the time was truly remarkable. Lets face it, many of us thought and hoped that the league win last year was going to resurect that sort of support again- at least it should have and the reason it hasnt, was the subject of another thread here the other day.
So lads, keep up the ideas -the more the better!

jamesd
19/08/2008, 9:43 AM
Sorry for not using the other post.

I do have a theory as to why the support in 83 and last year was so different.

In 1983, people had less money apparently and also there was very little going on in Cobh at that time. So this huge excitement and media coverage generated so much interest, it was like our own World Cup.

Now, people have all the material things they could ever want and don't have to leave their front room to attend.

The challange now is to use what happened then and last year to combine together and make the best impact about what has, can and will be acheived on this island town.

Yes we should celebrate the 1983 team for what they did, also remembering all other teams along the way to now.

But before we can try to attract any potential sponsor/director to come in and invest, we need to get our house in order.

drinkfeckarse
19/08/2008, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure of the point that Marco was trying to make, because if we accept that the 83 team does deserve some positive and propper tribute, then it shouldnt matter a hoot what our existing team players think (thats if I read Marcos post correctly).

I think Marco was meaning the team of 83 were not interested in any publicity etc about the game.

I can see their point in a way, they didn't win anything after all. However they did put Cobh Ramblers FC on the football map and their achievement was oustanding. The feel good factor alone was amazing and it would be nice to afford them some sort of recognition.