PDA

View Full Version : Butch Treacy RIP

Longfordian
17/08/2008, 1:47 PM
For those of you who may not have heard it's with great sadness that I must advise of the sad passing of former Town committee member/programme editor/photographer/all round character Noel "Butch" Treacy in the early hours of this morning after a long battle with cancer. Butch will be sorely missed by everybody connected with the club and no doubt by many of the opposition fans whom he used to have the craic with both at home and away for many years. Removal is to the cathedral tomorrow evening with the funeral at 12 on Tuesday. RIP Butch. A real Town legend.

RonnieB
17/08/2008, 2:00 PM
:( rip.

Nipper
17/08/2008, 5:10 PM
RIP Butch.

Nice tribute, Longfordian.

Martinho II
17/08/2008, 9:19 PM
butch treacys magic!
he wears a cowboys hat!
an when he saw the longford!

he said I fancy that!

this was a song that the buckfast crew had in his honour in the early days of the premier division...sad to hear the news about him. he was a legend in these parts.. may he rest in peace...

Salmon Coloured
18/08/2008, 7:47 AM
Very sorry to hear this. A true character he was alright, i think everyones favourite image of him was him with the hat on & taking pictures over at Section O. RIP Butch & nice tribute Longfordian.:(

Macy
18/08/2008, 8:48 AM
RIP Butch. A sound man who put a lot into the club. As well as the programme, what about his legendary away buses? I think it was around 5.30am that we got back from Derry one of the games, following a stop in Donegal Town.

Pauro 76
18/08/2008, 9:38 AM
Im shocked to hear this. A real larger than life character, he was so dedicated to the club. You'd normally hear him before you see him, a great man for the banter too. He'll be joining Enda in the Flansiro above, he'll be missed alright. R.I.P. Butch.

ltfc_2004
18/08/2008, 11:10 AM
RIP Butch

sorbothegreek
18/08/2008, 11:18 AM
Just to echo the sentiments above. Butch was certainly a character alright. Longford Town F.C and Longford Town itself will be certainly miss him.

R.I.P

Keen2win
18/08/2008, 11:18 AM
Rip :(

Salmon Coloured
18/08/2008, 12:12 PM
RIP Butch. A sound man who put a lot into the club. As well as the programme, what about his legendary away buses? I think it was around 5.30am that we got back from Derry one of the games, following a stop in Donegal Town.

I was at that one Macy with Difalloni. Good memories of that night actually. Think it was around early 2001.

Massop 10
18/08/2008, 1:58 PM
Just want to add my condolances also. The good are always taken to soon ! Butch was always there camera in hand and quick to have a remark for you. Won't be the same in Flansiro without him. Rest in peace.

Maz
18/08/2008, 7:45 PM
Was absolutely gutted to hear about the death of Butch. Another one of the greatest characters I have met in my life gone too soon. R.I.P Butch, keep a eye on us!

Martinho II
18/08/2008, 9:04 PM
im a member of the Irish Program club and whenever I speak to a few of the people at the program fairs that im from longford they always ask how is Butch Tracey? the man was known at every club all over the land.. the last time I spoke to him was at McDowells in the cup match against pats at half time.. knowin the great man he would have found it hard to get out of the pub considering how well known he was.. the first time I met him was at half time ten years ago when I went up to him askin him about a longford town home jersey...

He was always a great supporter of the fanzine and was brilliant at puttin in the odd plug in the fanzine which was gratefully appreciated in the match program.. as pauro stated you could hear him before seeing him.. my abidin memory is of him throwing off his hat in celebration in 2000-01 behind the goal when keith o connor scored the brilliant overhead kick against shamrock rovers.. surprised noone has mentioned it but him and the late matt murtagh were a great comedy duo esp on the turtle travel... Remember one of the first ads of his bus appeared in the match program in the 1999-00 season and it said turtle travel... i thought it was an actual bus co but someone told me that it was called because the bus was late comin home which I can vouch for that in the promotion season when I came home at seven in the morning from Cobh...

the mans a legend he will be much missed..:( have a bit of an idea for the next fanzine anyone that wants to submit an article about Butch please send me a pm and we will put it in the next fanzine as he deserves a big sendoff!

daithi
19/08/2008, 5:26 AM
R.I.P Butch was one in a million.....
This is the way I'll remember him.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anallyrover/2600738934/

Pauro 76
19/08/2008, 7:50 AM
Some lovely tributes to the great man there. I remember his booming voice shouting 'Cmon the Town!' on that Cup Final single with Paschal a few years back. Id forgotten all about the Turtle Travel days, some great memories there.

max power
19/08/2008, 10:48 AM
R.I.P Butch was one in a million.....
This is the way I'll remember him.....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anallyrover/2600738934/

As will i Daithi, i had many great evening taking photos with him at Flancare and at other EL grounds.

He was a true gent and will be sadly missed by our fans and people involved with other clubs.

Butch held on for a long time while sick and it has been very hard on his family and those close to him. I'd like to extend my sympathy to all those who were close to him and call him a member of their family.

Another true town fan gone and that pic Daithi linked really brought many happy times back to me spent will Butch,

RIP.

Longfordian
19/08/2008, 1:04 PM
Great photo of Butch there daithi. He'll be missed around the place. Good to see some old Town heroes there today, Digger and Barry. I'm sure there were more at the removal last night.

daithi
19/08/2008, 2:51 PM
it is a great picture, but i should have said it's taken by "doc" doherty. That's his flickr page.

Maz
19/08/2008, 4:33 PM
Great photo of Butch there daithi. He'll be missed around the place. Good to see some old Town heroes there today, Digger and Barry. I'm sure there were more at the removal last night.
It just showed how loved Butch was today with so many past players and friends at the funeral. The presence of his hat with the ribbons was a beautiful touch.

Bosco
19/08/2008, 5:43 PM
Rest in Peace Butch.....a town legend...

Martinho II
19/08/2008, 8:25 PM

i wasntat the funeral but went to the removal where maccer and vinny attended it

Cabs88
20/08/2008, 9:33 PM
r.i.p Butch, Longford has lost a great character.

I'll never forget in Munich in 2005, myself and Butch leading about 30 longford people through the main train station, we somehow managed to get everyone back to the hotel, all the while Butch sayin **** this ye ******es sure we'll see where this train brings us!

Legend

Dillo
22/08/2008, 11:46 AM
Farewell to a legend. RIP