PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Bob Dylan Albums

Wolfie
13/08/2008, 12:53 PM
Any Bob Dylan albums you'd recommend in addition to what's listed below (which I've heard!!)

Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing it all back home
Highway 61 revisited
Blond on Blond
Blood on the Tracks
Time Out of Mind

jebus
13/08/2008, 1:02 PM
Any Bob Dylan albums you'd recommend in addition to what's listed below (which I've heard!!)

Highway 61 revisited
Blond on Blond
Blood on the Tracks
Time Out of Mind

What was the name of the Scorsese documentary? Soundtrack to that is good anyway

Edit: No Direction Home is the name, some good early recordings on there

Neish
13/08/2008, 1:22 PM
Any Bob Dylan albums you'd recommend

I think I'd have to say the best of Bob Dylan

Wolfie
13/08/2008, 2:34 PM

Volume 1, 2 ,3 or 4? ;)

Macy
14/08/2008, 1:12 PM
Or the Essential.

How about the Live 1966: The Royal Albert Hall Concert which was only released a few years ago, after years as a bootleg. It's actually from the Manchester Free Trade Hall though, proven by the fact he gets heckled by city fans ("I don't believe you, you're a liar").

Calcio Jack
14/08/2008, 2:01 PM

Highway 61 revisited
Blond on Blond
Blood on the Tracks
Time Out of Mind

Love & Theft
Modern Times
Oh Mercy
Desire
Infidels
Before The Flood (Live 1972 tour with The Band)
Nashville Skyline

Also suggest you read the first volume of his self penned biography 'Chronicles vol 1.).... even if you didn't have any interest in the man, try reading it out loud as it IMO has the most smooth and perfect prose style I've ever encountered, it's pure genius.

geysir
14/08/2008, 2:52 PM

Highway 61 revisited
Blond on Blond
Blood on the Tracks
Time Out of Mind
I bet there will be at least 40 different recordings at the end of a 20 page thread.

Street Legal - remastered
Live at Bukodan - is one I tend to play a lot.

boovidge
14/08/2008, 4:26 PM

he's only the band the beatles could have been :D

ken foree
15/08/2008, 12:52 PM
Before The Flood (Live 1972 tour with The Band)

Also suggest you read the first volume of his self penned biography 'Chronicles vol 1.).... even if you didn't have any interest in the man, try reading it out loud as it IMO has the most smooth and perfect prose style I've ever encountered, it's pure genius.

2nd that rec on the book Chronicles, it's a fantastic bit of writing. effortless and i believe starts off in the late 80s describing recording sessions with daniel lanois, the Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree co-producer. nice that it doesn't tie itself to chronology. and if you like his stuff with the Band, also check The Basement Tapes, two disks of bob dylan and the band.

Billsthoughts
17/08/2008, 6:48 PM
street legal is quite accesible and really underated. desire is also a cracking if at times flawed album. so if you were looking for two good dylan albums to follow on from wht you have been listening to I would start there.
I wouldnt go near any of the best ofs unless its "biograph".
"as good as Ive been to you" is very good and in a similar vein (in terms of songs as opposed to music)to springsteens pete seeger sessions. freewheelin bob dylan is very good as well if you like the early stuff.
the bootleg series 1-3 has some amazing stuff on it. and imo the All hollows eve bootleg far surpasses the royal albert hall one for live performances.

Billsthoughts
17/08/2008, 6:48 PM

agreed with you until I read Steve Martins "born standing up"

Wolfie
18/08/2008, 7:38 AM
Thanks for all that so far folks.

A few to check out there.

Colie
18/08/2008, 10:28 PM
Difficult to chose, I'll go with... The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan, Desire & Time Out of Mind. But the truth is you gotta have the lot.