PDA

View Full Version : Players asked to help pay club debt

WoodquayBoy
13/08/2008, 12:53 PM
Small piece in that Indo rag today saying Cobh has asked its players to take out personal loans of €2,000 each to help pay off the club debts. According to the quote in the piece, they were asked to help out as they are the only ones taking a wage from the club. Another club in trouble, following United and Sligo, and what Stephen McDonnell said on MNS on MOnday about Cork not paying its players. This is not good.

Duggie
13/08/2008, 1:09 PM
Small piece in that Indo rag today saying Cobh has asked its players to take out personal loans of €2,000 each to help pay off the club debts. According to the quote in the piece, they were asked to help out as they are the only ones taking a wage from the club. Another club in trouble, following United and Sligo, and what Stephen McDonnell said on MNS on MOnday about Cork not paying its players. This is not good.

who'd be stupid enough to take out 2,000 of your own money, the club is supposed to be paying them not the other way round. also i thought cork were loaded with dosh ??

Mr A
13/08/2008, 1:26 PM
I do not remember a time when there were distress signals coming from so many clubs- and in this league that is certainly saying something. Hopefully it's the tighter regulation forcing things to the surface earlier than previously, but in any case the situation is not good at all.

passinginterest
13/08/2008, 1:31 PM
Hopefully it's the tighter regulation forcing things to the surface earlier than previously, but in any case the situation is not good at all.

I think that's exactly it to a large degree. Clubs have realised that they can't get away with unrealistic budgeting and are panicking. It should lead to a year on year improvement with teams offering more realistic contracts and projecting more realistic incomes.

It does seem completely mad to ask players to take out loans which would effectively be used to pay their own wages? :confused:

The Cork City and Bohemians situations are probably the most worrying at the moment as they are operating on highly unsustainable revenue streams.

Mr A
13/08/2008, 1:38 PM
In fairness the €10 a week asked for in Cobh is probably a lot less than the GU players lost out on taking a 12.5% pay decrease.

Rovers fan
13/08/2008, 1:50 PM
Lets face it,our league is pretty shambolic. Sligo rovers,galway utd,cork and cobh struggling financially. Pats,drogs and bohs,how long will they stay stable for?? There have been rumours about harps and derry(probably untrue?). That leaves shams and bray who are just above the drop and ucd who will probably get relegated. Then look what happened to shels and limerick fc. And we wonder why attendances are so low.

Mr A
13/08/2008, 1:57 PM
I think you can safely say that Harps are struggling also, maybe not meltdown, but not in the best of shape.

jebus
13/08/2008, 1:58 PM
Lets face it,our league is pretty shambolic. Sligo rovers,galway utd,cork and cobh struggling financially. Pats,drogs and bohs,how long will they stay stable for?? There have been rumours about harps and derry(probably untrue?). That leaves shams and bray who are just above the drop and ucd who will probably get relegated. Then look what happened to shels and limerick fc. And we wonder why attendances are so low.

Wouldn't count on UCD getting relegated and there has been no financial problems with Limerick FC this year (that have emerged anyway), kudos do need to be given to Rovers, Bray and UCD for not being complete morons in the Premier League though and personally I think the FAI should be looking at points deductions for clubs like Galway, Sligo, Cobh and Cork for breaching the wage rules

Mr A
13/08/2008, 2:28 PM
I think what will save the clubs is that so many have hit problems. The FAI are unlikely to deduct points from all of them, but I think I heard that it would be the end of the season before such measures are looked at.

jebus
13/08/2008, 2:33 PM
I think what will save the clubs is that so many have hit problems. The FAI are unlikely to deduct points from all of them, but I think I heard that it would be the end of the season before such measures are looked at.

That would make the league look even poorer in my opinion. Let's say the league table ended up like this

9th Harps 40
10th Galway 38
11th UCD 37
12th Cobh 20 :)

And everyone had to wait one a week or two to see if the FAI were going to deduct 6 points from Harps and/or Galway, that would be yet another situation where the league would look like a joke. They should look at it in the upcoming weeks, look at their Longford decision from last year, and make the neccessary deductions

finnpark
13/08/2008, 2:37 PM
Seen that so many clubs are in trouble I think that all the clubs should go together and introduce a wage cap on players resigning or signing for another LOI club. If a player like Gamble is out of contract at Cork St Pats should not offer any more. This stops clubs bidding against each other. If clubs want good players then they need to look outside Ireland and the UK. Players in this country get paid too much imo and the inflation on players wages over the past few seasons has been crazy. Most of the players in the league that are professional shouldn't be playing football for a living.

finnpark
13/08/2008, 2:39 PM
That would make the league look even poorer in my opinion. Let's say the league table ended up like this

9th Harps 40
10th Galway 38
11th UCD 37
12th Cobh 20 :)

And everyone had to wait one a week or two to see if the FAI were going to deduct 6 points from Harps and/or Galway, that would be yet another situation where the league would look like a joke. They should look at it in the upcoming weeks, look at their Longford decision from last year, and make the neccessary deductions

But it means that they can keep Galway in the league for another year :D

pcplod
13/08/2008, 2:55 PM
The players were not asked to take out loan they were simply given the option to give €2000 to club in exchange for a season ticket for five years. All members have been given this option and it was also made available to employees. It is just one of the many things that are being done to help out the club financially but as always it has been blown out of all proportion.

WoodquayBoy
13/08/2008, 2:57 PM
But it means that they can keep Galway in the league for another year :D
Cracking idea, I vote for this proposal, we'll even save money by not having to produce a DVD!

Conroy
13/08/2008, 3:00 PM
This news isnt good for the league. Too many teams being brought back to reality regards wages and spending. We Dundalk in the mist of all this negativity about finance are in the best financal postion we have ever been in. How many clubs actually can say there running their club without over-spending? Monghan and wexford spring to mind.

jebus
13/08/2008, 3:19 PM
This news isnt good for the league. Too many teams being brought back to reality regards wages and spending. We Dundalk in the mist of all this negativity about finance are in the best financal postion we have ever been in. How many clubs actually can say there running their club without over-spending? Monghan and wexford spring to mind.

Limerick can, our total weekly players wage is about half what Cork are paying Joe Gamble :D

SalvadorSanchez
13/08/2008, 4:06 PM
This can't be true! it would be pointless to ask players to borrow to pay the club to pay them the same money, the club would still fall foul of the league regulations and the PFAI, I wouldn't buy this story at all.
The league are not going to be fooled by something like this... it still boils down to clubs not being able to pay players.
Looks like some radical changes are needed, I just wonder how the league will keep going in the next few years when punters and sponsors feel the pinch even more... scary stuff

The current financial chaos also makes a mockery of the brilliant A championship idea which has to be putting even more pressure on clubs

pineapple stu
13/08/2008, 4:12 PM
How many clubs actually can say there running their club without over-spending?

UCD can.

I think Mr A's right about clubs not being docked points cos there's too many of them. If this is all about the 65% wage cap, then hopefully this year will show that the FAI are serious about it, and from next year, any club stupid enough to get done twice should get docked points. I'd be happy enough with that, to be honest.

There's probably an element of trying to keep with the top four as well.

CuanaD
13/08/2008, 4:19 PM
The players were not asked to take out loan they were simply given the option to give €2000 to club in exchange for a season ticket for five years. All members have been given this option and it was also made available to employees. It is just one of the many things that are being done to help out the club financially but as always it has been blown out of all proportion.

Just wanted to show this post again - as everyone else seems to have ignored it!

pineapple stu
13/08/2008, 4:22 PM
Seems fairly silly for a club to offer a five-year season ticket to its players though? What would they want with it?

pete
13/08/2008, 4:46 PM
Before anyone starts I am not attacking other clubs (I don't understand my own clubs situation) but I don't understand how Cobh are in trouble. From what I can make out their attendances are approx double last season & more or less same squad... :confused:

brianw82
13/08/2008, 4:59 PM
Are Cobh not still part-time too? I mean, their expenses can't really be much more than last season? And, as Pete says, their attendences are up this year.

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense, really.

pete
13/08/2008, 5:22 PM
Apparently Cobh players as part time are on Net wages i.e. if get paid E500 the club pays the tax on top of this. Seems they be may be asked to pay the tax themselves now so for example E500 becomes gross. Getting net wages is a big advantage for part time players as they can use tax free allowance for their day jobs.

:confused:

Longfordian
13/08/2008, 5:25 PM
All players have to be registered with the FAI with their wages stated as gross, now fair enough most players' concern is "how much do I get into my hand?" but the standard players' contract has to include a gross amount.

pineapple stu
13/08/2008, 5:27 PM
Dear God, will people (by which I mean you, almost solely, pete!) drop the nett wages argument?!

If you're getting P60s and payslips (as clubs, as any business, are required by law to do, and given the recent Revenue audits, they'd want to be morons not to be doing it), they're being paid gross. End of story. The club has either paid the tax or has a tax creditor to pay.

DmanDmythDledge
13/08/2008, 5:49 PM
Before anyone starts I am not attacking other clubs (I don't understand my own clubs situation) but I don't understand how Cobh are in trouble. From what I can make out their attendances are approx double last season & more or less same squad... :confused:
They apparantly doubled the wages of last season's squad and budgeted for crowds of 1200-1500.

pete
13/08/2008, 5:53 PM
If you're getting P60s and payslips (as clubs, as any business, are required by law to do, and given the recent Revenue audits, they'd want to be morons not to be doing it), they're being paid gross. End of story. The club has either paid the tax or has a tax creditor to pay.

I am not suggesting any one is dodging tax but if a player is on say E500 a week from an LOI club that is not the real cost to the club. He is really paid probably E700 but gets E500 after tax. Like most people I am paid gross & while the employer deducts PAYE the fact I have small, large or no tax free allowances is not part of contracts or negotiations.

pineapple stu
13/08/2008, 6:00 PM
I would imagine most part-time players have no tax allowance or credits (apart from students and the unemployed obviously). It's really not that difficult to work out. It's not the problem to the league's ills and should stop being mentioned as such.

Back on topic, the story of their treasurer resigning the day they signed four players springs to mind. There seem to be some awful gobsh!tes running clubs in this league.

passerrby
13/08/2008, 6:07 PM

so if he plays for you his season ticket is no good to him as he gets in for free (i Hope) and if he is sacked ,let go ,whatever he will go to another club so will not be able to or wish to attend games so this season ticket makes no sense.

eamoss
13/08/2008, 6:21 PM
Was there not uproar at the start of the season from the PFAI when a Dundalk failed to pay players (when in fact the where going to get paid on a Monday and not a Thursday like they had been paid previously)?

But now there is numerous clubs that cant pay players and not a peep from the PFAI.

WTF?

passerrby
13/08/2008, 6:28 PM
serious question pc but what happened to the sunderland cash cow

pcplod
13/08/2008, 6:36 PM
The cash raised form the game is being used to run club for remander of season. This idea of getting people to give €2000 is to clear creditors so we can start new season with a clean slate.

I know players cant use seaon tickets but what is stopping their families from using it if purchased i am sure it wont go to waste and will help keep there weekly income alive along with the club

passerrby
13/08/2008, 6:52 PM
fair play i hope it works out for you but cant help feeling it was handled badley and gives more ammo to the knockers of the league

luka
13/08/2008, 7:03 PM
The cash raised form the game is being used to run club for remander of season. This idea of getting people to give €2000 is to clear creditors so we can start new season with a clean slate.

I know players cant use seaon tickets but what is stopping their families from using it if purchased i am sure it wont go to waste and will help keep there weekly income alive along with the club

I think the Ramblers players already get two season comps (Player Passes) for their family.

passerrby
13/08/2008, 7:08 PM
someone just mentioned to me that all eircom league players are giving passes from the fai/pfai ??? that allows them into eircom league games is that the case.

Battery Rover
13/08/2008, 7:59 PM
I think it is only members of the PFAI

Shiba
13/08/2008, 10:35 PM
Wouldn't count on UCD getting relegated and there has been no financial problems with Limerick FC this year (that have emerged anyway), kudos do need to be given to Rovers, Bray and UCD for not being complete morons in the Premier League though and personally I think the FAI should be looking at points deductions for clubs like Galway, Sligo, Cobh and Cork for breaching the wage rules

At the moment people are looking to a solution to the financial problems facing most clubs.At this time I dont think deducting points are going to solve.I think if you want your team in premier division try hope they get there on merit and not by default.Don't be fool by what you see all clubs are in trouble even the so called " Big Clubs".

pete
13/08/2008, 10:38 PM
Back on topic, the story of their treasurer resigning the day they signed four players springs to mind. There seem to be some awful gobsh!tes running clubs in this league.

We have an extensive off the pitch permanent staff including promotions, marketing, operations, commercial & CEO and still in a mess so its not just volunteers messing up.

Schumi
14/08/2008, 9:53 AM
I think what will save the clubs is that so many have hit problems. The FAI are unlikely to deduct points from all of them, but I think I heard that it would be the end of the season before such measures are looked at.They could just award extra points to clubs who aren't spending money they don't have. :D

pineapple stu
14/08/2008, 9:57 AM
This idea of getting people to give €2000 is to clear creditors so we can start new season with a clean slate.
Cos that's the cure to all ills. Clear the slate so we can start writing on it again...

(Not a bad idea if you learn from your lessons obviously. It's just that it seems to be everyone's excuse. Sligo trying it at the moment as well - raise E130k so we can continue on like this. Nonsense.)

DmanDmythDledge
14/08/2008, 11:33 AM
(Not a bad idea if you learn from your lessons obviously. It's just that it seems to be everyone's excuse. Sligo trying it at the moment as well - raise E130k so we can continue on like this. Nonsense.)
Sligo have said they will be switching back to part time so they are obviously not continue on like they were.

oriel
14/08/2008, 12:15 PM
Full time football will never work in this league, population is simply not there to support it.

passerrby
14/08/2008, 1:53 PM
They could just award extra points to clubs who aren't spending money they don't have. :D

fcuk me we are going to win the league

Rovers fan
14/08/2008, 10:32 PM
there has been no financial problems with Limerick FC this year (that have emerged anyway)

Last time I checked ye are called Limerick 37. I was talking about what happened to limerick fc.

harry crumb
15/08/2008, 1:01 AM
Full time football will never work in this league, population is simply not there to support it.

The county and city of Cork should be able to sustain full time team.

Schumi
15/08/2008, 9:02 AM
The county and city of Cork should be able to sustain full time team.Probably correct, not with the current level of spending though.

pineapple stu
15/08/2008, 10:03 AM
Sligo have said they will be switching back to part time so they are obviously not continue on like they were.
That's assuming you believe them, of course.

Though the other question is, will they be cutting back enough?

rambler14
15/08/2008, 11:13 AM
No Cobh fan has commented here so allow me to be the first.

Every Cobh fan.............well most of us are against asking the players for money. I think it's one of the worst ideas the club has ever had and it stinks of desperation and unprofessionalism.
The situation were in is embarrassing and if things keep going the way they are were going to look even stupider than we do already.
The players shouldn't have been put in this situation and they shouldn't have been asked in the 1st place IMO.

passerrby
15/08/2008, 1:00 PM
I allways assumed that the cobh wagebill did not increase to much after promotion so why the crisis is it historical

shantykelly
15/08/2008, 3:49 PM

the population is there, unfortunately most of it is blinkered towards the epl.