PDA

View Full Version : Best Album of 1997

jebus
12/08/2008, 6:54 PM
Here's the picks, the Manics seem to have 1996 sewn up but there's still a few days to get the votes in
Had forgotten what a great year for music this was. I own every album on this list and count about 4 or 5 of them among career bests for the band. Some of the cuts this year included Nick Cave, Bjork, Yo La Tengo, Notorious BIG, Bob Dylan, Ben Folds Five, and Erykah Badu

Super Furry Animals - Hermann Loves Pauline (live on TFI Friday) - Radiator

GWGx7vAA9qc

Radiohead - No Surprises (live on Jools Holland) - OK Computer

cQqbuZOPE5g

The Verve - Sonnet (live at Glasto 2008) - Urban Hymns

fU42uxeFp2I

jebus
12/08/2008, 7:05 PM
Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space - Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space

9yovo8sUbiw

Blur - Beetlebum - Blur

yci8GY9kUqg

Daft Punk - Around The World - Homework

K0HSD_i2DvA

jebus
12/08/2008, 7:15 PM
Pavement - Shady Lane - Brighten The Corners

SnClsDe1aeA

Supergrass - Going Out - In It For The Money

mmGHxWk_9yU

Chemical Brothers - Setting Sun - Dig Your Own Hole

V7Y7fMbbaP8

superfrank
12/08/2008, 7:26 PM
Daft Punk and Chemical Brothers are both very good but Erykah Badu's Baduizm trumps in for me. Brilliant album.

"On & On"

CbuhKR8YXlk#

TonyD
12/08/2008, 9:00 PM
Teenage Fanclub - Songs From Northern Britain. (OK Computer will probably stroll this, but I think it's a very over rated album. Not as good as The Bends)

Macy
13/08/2008, 7:37 AM
Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space. Brilliant album.

Super Furries, Chemical Brothers, Daft Punk, Supergrass and Blur from the list all be up there for me too. It'll be between The Verve and Radiohead I'd say. Not a bad Verve album, but not even their best, but the Oasis fans have to vote for someone. Just don't get the Radiohead buzz.

Others from the year worth a mention...
The Charlatans - Tellin Stories
Cornershop - When I Was Born For The 7th Time (and no, not just for Brimful of Asha)
Primal Scream - Vanishing Point
Bentley Rhythm Ace - Bentley Rhythm Ace
Eels - Beautiful Freak

Wolfie
13/08/2008, 7:41 AM
Supergrass - In It For the Money

A personal favourite of mine from a perpetually under-rated band.

"Alright" (from "I Should Co Co") has proved the song that the man on the street identifies them with - but its one of the worst songs they've written and completely unrepresentative of their musical style and ability. The "cheeky monkey" style video pidgeon-holed them further.

Their last three albums have been criminally neglected of attention - "Life on Other Plantes" , "Road to Rouen" and their latest album "Diamond Hoo Ha" are well worth a listen.

As mentioned, a quality year for decent music overall.

Pike B
13/08/2008, 7:47 AM
The Verve. Hands down.

The Good Son
13/08/2008, 7:48 AM
Teenage Fanclub - Songs From Northern Britain.

One of many classics this year. Others not in the poll that get regular listens still, Boatman's Call - Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Curtains - Tindersticks, When I was Born For The 7th Time - Cornershop, Voyage To The Bottom Of The Garden - HMHB, but Ladies & Gentlemen stands head and shoulders above them all in my opinion.

Bluebeard
13/08/2008, 8:57 AM
Toughest yet!

It ultimately down to a choice between Spiritualized and Daft Punk, but it was tough eliminating Radiohead and the Supers, the Chemical Brothers an unfortunate 6th:eek:

It will be interesting to see how the Oasis block splits between the Verve and the Chemical Brothers on the basis of one single:cool:

Pauro 76
13/08/2008, 8:59 AM
I've gone for Chemical Brothers 'Dig Your Own Hole'. I really didnt like it at first but stood the test of time for me. Best dance album of all time, love how the tracks run into each other too. Radiohead a close 2nd. Still a wonderful album but I always thought it was just a tad over-rated compared to the Bends. Super Furries for bronze. Honourable mentions, Supergrass, a brilliant summery album and Primal Scream 'Vanishing Point', up there with their best.

jebus
13/08/2008, 9:00 AM
Teenage Fanclub - Songs From Northern Britain

My personal favourite of theirs, I Don't Want Control Of You is one of favourite songs of all time as well :)

gustavo
13/08/2008, 9:15 AM
It will be interesting to see how the Oasis block splits between the Verve and the Chemical Brothers on the basis of one single:cool:

Voted for the two Oasis albums so far , Voted for OK Computer this year

Pauro 76
13/08/2008, 9:21 AM
I dont know, I cant see many Oasis fans voting Chemical Brothers.

GuisaSaigon
13/08/2008, 9:21 AM
Daft Punk - Homework by a mile. Don't think much of anything they've done since but Homework was a masterpiece.

stann
13/08/2008, 9:25 AM
Pretty good year for albums this.
Primal Scream - Vanishing Point,
Nick Cave - Boatman's Call,
Verve, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Spiritualized as listed...,
Prodigy - Fat Of The Land,
and, of course (disgusted with myself for forgetting it), the self-titled All Saints debut.

But as there can only be one vote it has to go to:
Other: Cornershop - When I Was Born For The 7th Time.
Genius album, never been out of the car since it was released.

shakermaker1982
13/08/2008, 9:41 AM
went for OK computer - even though I have played it to death and am probably sick of it now!!!!

superfrank
13/08/2008, 10:42 AM
I've gone for Chemical Brothers 'Dig Your Own Hole'. I really didnt like it at first but stood the test of time for me. Best dance album of all time, love how the tracks run into each other too.
I loved that too at the time. Pity the iTunes age has changed that. :(

noby
13/08/2008, 11:27 AM
Alabama 3 - Exile on Coldharbour Lane.

Followed very closely by
Inciters - Movin' On

and then Teenage Fanclub and Spiritualized.
My top two could have gone either way, but I'm hoping for some support for Alabama 3.

Macy
13/08/2008, 11:30 AM
Alabama 3 - Exile on Coldharbour Lane.
Ah balls, thought that was '98 for some reason.

jebus
13/08/2008, 9:07 PM
what criteria is used in the selection of albums for best of the year btw?? if it comes down to jebus' own personal preference it can hardly be an impartial and therefore definitive best of year poll can it??

I look up best of lists and I cut it down to 9. Not all of the albums are to my liking but to say that the poll can hardly be called impartial is nonsense. The other option was put there so people could vote for whatever album they want, you could only say it wasn't imartial if I presented a choice of ten and you had to pick one of those. It should be noted that the only 'Other' album that could have had a chance of winning any of these polls was the Pogues in 1988, and that was proven to be a 1987 album so was discounted, so I think I've gotten it pretty spot on.

The prodigy 'Fat Of The Land' was left out because it wasn't one of the top 9 albums of the year in my opinion, 'Music For The Jilted Generation' probably should have been, but it's worth noting that it wouldn't have come close to winning that year anyway so it's not a major tragedy

holidaysong
13/08/2008, 10:35 PM
I went for OK Computer - fantastic album, one of the best ever in my opinion!

Others from the year worth a mention...

...Eels - Beautiful Freak

That was 1996.

Neish
15/08/2008, 9:16 AM
Voted for daft punk earlier but completely forgot Jurrasic 5 first album was released in 97. One of my fav hip hop groups ever and this imo is prob the best hip hop song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZmQIGLNxBs

superfrank
16/08/2008, 2:49 AM
Voted for daft punk earlier but completely forgot Jurrasic 5 first album was released in 97. One of my fav hip hop groups ever and this imo is prob the best hip hop song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZmQIGLNxBs
Good choice but I think Quality Control and Power In Numbers are better albums.

Terry
16/08/2008, 9:19 AM
metallicas reload album for me in 1997.

Neish
16/08/2008, 9:23 AM
Good choice but I think Quality Control and Power In Numbers are better albums.

I agree but rate the first album as it was like a breath of fresh air at a time when gangsta rap was in its prime.

BohsPartisan
16/08/2008, 10:08 AM
Close between Radiator and OK but went for the former.

Pauro 76
16/08/2008, 11:14 AM
Another one bubbling under, Foo Fighters, Colour and The Shape...

centre mid
16/08/2008, 11:55 AM
Some of the tunes on Urban Hymns sound a bit dated,I've gone for In It For The Money - cracking album. OK computer is a stunning album aswell.

Pauro 76
18/08/2008, 3:07 PM
Looking like a tie on OK Computer and Urban Hymns. If I hadnt had voted Chems, OK Computer would have been voted for. Does that count? ;)

SkStu
18/08/2008, 7:28 PM
ok computer just ahead of Brighten The Corners from Pavement - classic album, great band.

Pauro 76
21/08/2008, 7:49 AM
'98 anyone? Not the best of years but have a few runners....

jebus
21/08/2008, 8:51 AM

I'll have it up later on, videos for the choices won't be up til tomorrow however (work restrictions)

Dodge
21/08/2008, 9:41 AM
If it ends in a draw, I think we should have a vote off between the top two only.

I'll be voting for anyone but the verve

Schumi
21/08/2008, 9:54 AM
When does the poll close? I still can't make my mind up!

stann
21/08/2008, 9:59 AM

Au contraire, 1998 was a particularly good year, there are at least a half dozen genuine contenders for my album of the decade off the top of my head - Air: Moon Safari being the front runner, Mercury Rev: Deserter's Songs, Massive Attack: Mezzanine, Eels: Electro-Shock Blues, ADF's Rafi's Revenge, TGU's Rejoice, Rejoice.
And that's before you get to what will no doubt be the more popular choices like Smashing Pumpkins, Belle & Sebastian and Pulp.

noby
21/08/2008, 10:02 AM
When does the poll close? I still can't make my mind up!

It's telling me the poll is closed already.

jinxy lilywhite
21/08/2008, 10:13 AM
A few good albums but my favourite of that year (Pearl Jam Yield) not there. biased poll- all Uk bands

jebus
21/08/2008, 10:17 AM
It's telling me the poll is closed already.

Poll ended this morning, there's a 7 day limit on all the polls before they close so we can nail down a winner. I'll get the '98 poll up in a few minutes

noby
21/08/2008, 10:20 AM
*Listens for the sound of Jebus' hand slapping his forehead*

It doesn't matter which albums are *chosen* on the poll, as the Other option allows you to vote for whatever album you like.
I won't even bother pointing out the non-UK bands on the list.

EDIT: In response to jinxy.

stann
21/08/2008, 10:21 AM
Don't think Daft Punk or Pavement would be too happy being called UK bands, but how and ever. Ah, noby, too quick for me! :)
And wasn't Yield 1998 anyway?
Of the others, quickly flicking through the albums released in 1997 only Nick Cave (probably should have) and maybe Bjork of the non-UK acts might concievably have made the poll. No bias if the others weren't good enough. And as noby says you always have 'Other'. Stop cribbing! :p

Edit: also in response to jinxy.

jinxy lilywhite
21/08/2008, 10:47 AM
Maybe it was in 98. I was in college anyway.

Apologies

jebus
21/08/2008, 10:51 AM
Maybe it was in 98. I was in college anyway.

Apologies

It's not getting near the 1998 poll either I'm afraid

Pauro 76
21/08/2008, 10:52 AM
Au contraire, 1998 was a particularly good year, there are at least a half dozen genuine contenders for my album of the decade off the top of my head - Air: Moon Safari being the front runner, Mercury Rev: Deserter's Songs, Massive Attack: Mezzanine, Eels: Electro-Shock Blues, ADF's Rafi's Revenge, TGU's Rejoice, Rejoice.
And that's before you get to what will no doubt be the more popular choices like Smashing Pumpkins, Belle & Sebastian and Pulp.

Ah yeah on first thoughts I mixed it up with albums of 1999 somehow. There are a few gems in that lot amongst others. And completely forgot about half on the list there.

monzo
21/08/2008, 2:28 PM
A few good albums but my favourite of that year (Pearl Jam Yield) not there. biased poll- all Uk bands

That came out in '98 according to my iTunes.

edit: should have noticed there was a third page :o

Lionel Ritchie
24/08/2008, 9:21 AM
Exile On Coldharbour Lane by Alabama 3 for me. Well done to Noby for calling it ...and HMHBs Voyage to the Bottowm of the Road.