PDA

View Full Version : Andy O'Brien not Returning

Colbert Report
12/08/2008, 3:45 PM
Whatever. We have loads of centre backs.

DmanDmythDledge
12/08/2008, 3:46 PM
Better off without someone that wants to quit international football at 28 (unless there were personal reasons behind it, which I'm pretty sure there wasn't).

Hopefully St Ledger will be given a chance in the near future to see if he warrants a place in the squad.

Whatever. We have loads of centre backs.
Dunne and O'Shea are the only CB we have who have proved to be comfortable at this level. The rest are not good enough or umproven. AOB, with regular first team football, would have been in most people's first choice XI.

drummerboy
12/08/2008, 3:50 PM
Not too worried about Andy O'Brien. Average player.

RogerMilla
12/08/2008, 4:05 PM
i think he took some terrible stick from the fans in cyprus and you wouldnt wish that on anyone , that being said he is not much good so not exactly gutted at the loss

tetsujin1979
12/08/2008, 4:11 PM
Centre half is probably the position we are most covered in. However, I am sorry to see Andy O'Brien not returning, we're not in a position to refuse a regular starter in a Premiership side (for the time anyway, Bolton are my pick to get relegated)
He got unfairly slated, along with Paddy Kenny, for the 5-2 game in Cyprus when it was clear the problem was in central midfield. Playing centre half by himself when Dunne was sent off was always going to be a thankless task.

endabob1
12/08/2008, 4:12 PM
I had sympathy with him if he felt he was being made victim for Stan's blunders and could even understand his refusal to play for Don Givens (in truth a bigger clown) after being left off the squad for over a year. I could understand and accept what he was doing up until then.

But refusing at 28 to return is very poor form. I really do think that he's a classic example of an English guy with no personal connection to Ireland but choose to play for us for career reasons. Once he lost his starting place he suddenly had no reason to contribute to Ireland.

Good Riddance. You'll be remembered as a clown who screwed up in Cyprus.

I'd agree with most of that, but I think he was & still is a better option than O'Shea in the centre alongside Dunne, that said to walk away at 28 is the act of a coward. He should have had the backbone to get back in the shirt and prove himself.

SalvadorSanchez
12/08/2008, 4:39 PM
AOB was shockingly inconsistent, he could play well in a game and make great goal saving tackles but somehow manage to sprinkle the performance with 2 or 3 appalling, schoolboy mistakes that'd give you a heart attack! despite some good performances he's too dodgy by a mile! he's no real loss if Dunne stays fit and O' Shea sorts his head out or if we can put a makeshift centre back in there.,
if you look at the group we're in I can't see anyone scoring lots of goals against us unless we're as appalling as we were in the dark days of Stan...

seanfhear
12/08/2008, 4:42 PM
average at best,very slow,not great positional sense,i would like to see st ledger given a chance

sligoman
12/08/2008, 5:52 PM
No loss, didn't see the point in even chasing after him anyway.

Dublin12
12/08/2008, 6:19 PM
Great to see Finnan back, now what about baldy?

Razors left peg
12/08/2008, 7:47 PM
Fcuking disgraceful. There should be no more talk of him from now on unless its in the World football thread

eirebhoy
12/08/2008, 8:12 PM
Trap said O'Brien was "upset". He told O'Brien that in any job you will be crititised and you have to get on with it. He didn't tell Trap the exact reason but Trap says "I'm sure in 10 years he'll explain why".

It can't be anything to do with Stan's decision to drop him after the Israel game surely. Maybe he got a bit of stick off fans?

centre mid
12/08/2008, 8:16 PM
Maybe he got a bit of stick off fans?

Come with the territory doesnt it.

Seemed like the perfect time to make fresh start with Trap coming in. He was never first choice for me I have to say.

Armando
12/08/2008, 9:57 PM
Centre half is probably the position we are most covered in. However, I am sorry to see Andy O'Brien not returning, we're not in a position to refuse a regular starter in a Premiership side (for the time anyway, Bolton are my pick to get relegated)
He got unfairly slated, along with Paddy Kenny, for the 5-2 game in Cyprus when it was clear the problem was in central midfield. Playing centre half by himself when Dunne was sent off was always going to be a thankless task.

Wasn't Dunne sent off late on? We were already 5-2 down aswell.

Anyway, I never blamed O'Brien for that debacle as you say midfield was non existent and the normally solid Finnan put in an atrocious performance.

Disappointed in his decision. Don't agree with most on here that he's a useless centre half. One of the better ones in the premiership in my opinion. He was outstanding for Bolton from January onwards last season.
And we're certainly not covered at centre half! He'd be competing with O'Shea for that 2nd slot beside Dunne if he was available without a shadow of a doubt.

Despite all that good riddance if as reported he's retiring blaming the media....**** poor excuse.

co. down green
12/08/2008, 10:19 PM
Would have been little point in having a player return to the squad who wasn't committed to playing for Ireland.

His loss & Ireland's gain.

I think Trap's after a bit more than players just turning up for games.

boovidge
13/08/2008, 2:11 PM
At least he was honest and gave a clear response unlike Stephen Ireland

gspain
13/08/2008, 3:37 PM
I don't recall anybody giving Andy O'Brien stick in Cyprus. Stan bore the brunt of the frustration. Paddy Kenny was the main player blamed. The team was setup badly with 2 central midfielders bombing forward and nobody tracking back.

Sad to see Andy retire so young. We don't have a lot of other options.

He was an honest if average player but no need for grudges. He served us well and thanks for his efforts,

Traps Cat
13/08/2008, 11:04 PM
No loss - Good Night God Bless

redobit
14/08/2008, 11:06 AM
No loss

geysir
14/08/2008, 11:38 AM
On the contrary he is a loss to the squad.
Played well for Ireland, a capable footballer and good enough to partner Dunne.
Sad that it has come to him getting the hump over something.

It's unclear what was the form of the criticism Trap was referring to. If Trap could not talk him out of it then something rankled deep. But as Trap said, over time the loss will be his and his alone.

Stuttgart88
14/08/2008, 12:29 PM
He took some flak after the Cyprus game but nowhere near as much as Kenny. How Finnan and others - especially that pr1ck Ireland - escaped without huge criticism that day is beyond me. I'd even say that Kenny was a long way from being the villain in that game, his crucial saves early on and just on the stroke of half time could have been significant if the 10 gimps ahead of him hadn't been so crap on the night. My suspicion is that Stan immunised the "star" players from criticism and, in a cowardly manner, came down harder on the less celebrated players or those with weaker personalities. He didn't want to upset the "lads".

I think many in our ranks aren't prepared to accept that we haven't as many illustrious players as in the past and refuse to recognise when some of the decent enough players we do have put in long runs of good performances as AO'B did, mainly alongside Cunningham I think. Tets / eirebhoy will correct me quickly if I'm wrong!

NeilMcD
14/08/2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah the biggest problem with the game against Cyprus was the Ireland Kilbane partnership. Neither of them were anywhere in that game and gave no protection to the back four and never controlled the game. Centrail midfield is the engine room of the team and Staunton to me get should and did get most of the flak for that performance. It was a game lost the minute the team sheet was handed in.

Diarmo
15/08/2008, 1:47 AM
Pity he's gone, but retiring at 28 is a disgrace. Some good performances in the 06 World Cup Qualifying Campaign, and we could have done with his experience at CB.

However, if it's the Cyprus thing, you'd think he'd come back and try to prove himself with a good performance. The debacle will leave a bitter tate for everyone it seems. Did I read somewhere that Staunton didn't want to play him (and start McShane instead) as he was out of form (and hadn't played for Portsmouth so far that season), but Robson told him to go with O'Brien?

Hopefully St. Ledger can step up now, and become a squad regular.

eirebhoy
15/08/2008, 7:16 AM
However, if it's the Cyprus thing, you'd think he'd come back and try to prove himself with a good performance. The debacle will leave a bitter tate for everyone it seems. Did I read somewhere that Staunton didn't want to play him (and start McShane instead) as he was out of form (and hadn't played for Portsmouth so far that season), but Robson told him to go with O'Brien?

Staunton actually came out and said that so no wonder he was annoyed. Still though, Stan's gone.

gspain
15/08/2008, 8:18 AM
Pity he's gone, but retiring at 28 is a disgrace. Some good performances in the 06 World Cup Qualifying Campaign, and we could have done with his experience at CB.

St Ledger was on the bench in Cyprus and McShane in the stand. McShane leapfrogged into the team with Dunne's suspension for the Czech game.

DeNiro
15/08/2008, 8:36 AM
If we are fortunate enough to qualify and through a bizarre set of circumstances had a centre back crisis pre-world cup, would the no be as affirmative then if he was asked back? He probably reckons we aren't going to qualify, so it's no real loss to him. He probably just wants to get himself sorted at club level as well.

dr_peepee
18/08/2008, 8:51 PM
Joey O'Brien on Newstalk reckons Andy O'Brien still may come back...

I dunno. Him and steven Ireland are worse than Ross and Rachel!!! Will they, won't they??

Razors left peg
18/08/2008, 10:01 PM
http://www.goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=823866

Andy O''Brien named in the first premiership team of the week. Doesn't sound like he's playing so "average" does it? :D

doesnt really matter to us if he makes team of the season

Nipper
18/08/2008, 10:11 PM
We'll "find out the real reason in 10 years"?

God, I can hardly wait.

NeilMcD
18/08/2008, 11:15 PM
I think the better Andy O Brien plays the more he will think it is due to him not playing international football. I think we will miss him as we have feck all cover at centre back. He is certainly in our top 3 centre backs behind Dunne and vying with O Shea as the second centre back.

Noelys Guitar
19/08/2008, 12:20 AM
O'Shea looked off the pace against Newcastle yesterday. Schoolboy error stuff when he ball watched allowing Martin's a free header from a corner in the second half. Itis a pity A O'B is not making himself available as at least there would be some competition for the place alongside Dunne. Does anyone how serious Richard Dunne's injury is?

irishfan86
19/08/2008, 3:56 AM
Does anyone how serious Richard Dunne's injury is?

He's got a suspension from last year, that's why he didn't play this weekend (think he's suspended for this weekend as well if I'm not mistaken).

Healthy as far as I know.

tetsujin1979
19/08/2008, 9:23 AM
He's got a suspension from last year, that's why he didn't play this weekend (think he's suspended for this weekend as well if I'm not mistaken).

Healthy as far as I know.
Yeah, he's suspended for the opening 3 games of the Premiership season, after picking up a straight red in the last game of last season against Middlesbrough.

the doc
19/08/2008, 2:10 PM

I don't believe this from Stan, if so why wasn't McShane on the bench v Cyprus.

Stan decision to play McShane v the Czech Republic was unfair on St Ledger who was close to starting at RB v Cyprus.

I stand by, that St Ledger is by far the better player and should be given a chance in the squad, unlikely to happen though whilst DG is having imput.

elroy
19/08/2008, 2:22 PM
The more players available for selection the better so it is a loss to lose a player regularly playing in the premiership at the prime of his career. He was singled out something terrible by Stan but seeing as he is now gone i cant see why that would still be the reason why he hasnt returned. Ive read reports from everyone from club mates to his dad that they reckon he will return in the future. Would like to see him back but would prefer to have a squad of players who really want to play for us as opposed to having 4/5 in the squad that arent that bothered.

Wheels
19/08/2008, 5:48 PM
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/news.asp?n=33625

Joey feels the former Newcastle United and Portsmouth defender, whose 26th and last Irish cap came in the humiliating 5-2 defeat to Cyprus in 2006, may feature again for Ireland.

He said: “I’m quite close to Andy, I’ve got to know him over the last season and I’d class him as a friend at this stage. I think the door is still open to be honest.

“I think he has a few things to sort out with Bolton so hopefully he’ll come back at some stage in the next few games.”

FarBeag
19/08/2008, 6:53 PM
So he is going to wait ands see where we stand half way through the group matches ,and if there is a chance to qualify he will make himself available.Thanks but no thanks Mr O’ Brien.