PDA

View Full Version : Switzerland v. Ireland

pineapple stu
10/09/2003, 9:29 PM
So, can we pull it off? A few thoughts...

a) Ireland have the best away defensive record in the group (admittedly with a game to go). Switzerland have the worst home defensive record. Ireland are the only team to score in Georgia and keep a clean sheet in Albania, so our away record isn't too bad.
b) Switzerland at home - 4-1 against Georgia (good result), 2-2 against Russia after being 2-0 up, and 3-2 against Albania - two very shaky results. Mightn't be as daunting an away trip as we thought...
c) Switzerland looked very very ordinary today. Their full backs were torn apart - I'd love to see Duff and even Kilbane set on them. Last two goals were easy headers - maybe Doherty could do a job? Quick going forward though - Harte would be a huge liability, and we must defend better than last Tuesday...

Overall, I'm actually more confident now than I was a month ago. The Swiss seem very beatable in the light of day, and the play-offs are very reachable. Although what happens if we get there is anybody's guess...

Footie_Fan
10/09/2003, 9:36 PM
I have no doubt that we can win in Switzerland especially after seeing them tonight. Could definately be a role at some stage for Big Doc.

Defense will have to be solid though as they are good going forward and if they get Hakin Yakin back they will be very dangerous.

The Swiss didn't look very clever when people took them on the flanks and they were very suspect with crosses into the box.

tiktok
10/09/2003, 10:24 PM
If Yakin is out, I'd imagine they'll be poor enough going forward, they'll try to tighten defensively, especially after the display tonight.
We should be well capable of scoring, especially if Kerr goes for Kilbane left and Duff right to attack the full backs.
Surely they can't play as badly against us as they did tonight though

Acres of space
10/09/2003, 11:08 PM
Slightly happier at the prospect of dealing with the Swiss after their shambolic performance this evening. To coin a Ron-ism, they didn't look too clever at all, especially down the flanks. Very very beatable side, no question about that...

Volltreffer
11/09/2003, 7:04 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
If Yakin is out, I'd imagine they'll be poor enough going forward, they'll try to tighten defensively, especially after the display tonight.

Hakan Yakin is expected to be back by then.

NigeSausagepump
11/09/2003, 7:31 AM
Switzerland last night reminded me a lot of West Ham last year - plenty of pretty, flowery play across the midfield, but no real cutting edge up front. The defence just looked awful when any of the Russian lads went at them, which is something that Keane and Duff and to a lesser extent Kilbane will be trying to do all night. The worry remains that they have some very inventive players, notably Chapuisat and Yakin (who is an injury doubt) - and we all know what inventive players can do to our suspect rearguard.

To use another Ron-ism and run the risk of being associated with British football managers of the 1970s, I'm not sure they "like it up them". If we play with the in-yo-face passion which was so markedly absent on Saturday, we could give them a real game.

pete
11/09/2003, 9:35 AM
Its been a strange group cos aside from Ireland all the other teams have had strong home records scoring most their goals at hime. Doesn't seem to be much difference between Ireland at home or away.

Does anyone know the team the Swiss had last night & how close to first choice XI that was?

Acres of space
11/09/2003, 9:42 AM
I believe it was pretty much full strength - barring injuries to the likes of Yakin. According to all accounts, they were looking for a victory in Russia.

RomanAbramovich
11/09/2003, 2:54 PM
saw the russia game. going on the performnce of the swis team i dont see us having any problems with them. but that said when it comes to pressure games. games we need to win we always end up drawing.

RomanAbramovich
11/09/2003, 2:57 PM
and its not that we as a team leak many goals(apart from russia) our problem is scoring them.

ccfcman
11/09/2003, 4:02 PM
have tickets will travel>any1 lookin to travel contact lee travel they put me through to another company and for €465 i got return flights(aer lingus to geneva + bus transfers) 2 nights in 3* accom and match tickets
:ball: :ball: :ball:

Barna Bee
11/09/2003, 4:10 PM
and match tickets ?????

I would be very careful if I were you . Do you have the tickets yet (in hand) . Where are they sourcing the tickets from.
This sounds very interesting

pineapple stu
11/09/2003, 4:50 PM
Originally posted by pete
Does anyone know the team the Swiss had last night & how close to first choice XI that was?

They were missing four players - Hakan Yakin is expected back in a week or two following a very controversial injury which resulted in FC Basel buying him back off PSG three weeks after they'd sold him! Goalkeeper Jorg Stiel was out, though the replacement in Russia was Zuberbuehler of Basel who are walking away with the Swiss league. Their right-back has 12 minutes of first team action for his club this season - don't know if he was first choice or not for Switzerland obviously. Ricardo Cabanas is suspended after being sent off - not a huge blow though.

RomanAbramovich
11/09/2003, 8:03 PM
is there anyone suspended for the swis team against us.

Volltreffer
11/09/2003, 8:16 PM
Cabanas.

tiktok
11/09/2003, 9:16 PM
Not much of a loss, won't even be noticed, especially if you're going to be welcoming Yakin back.

Volltreffer
12/09/2003, 7:02 AM
Totally agree. I won't miss him.

pineapple stu
12/09/2003, 12:40 PM
Read today that Hakan Yakin is doubtful for the game - bit of a surprise after what I've read earlier but would be a huge boost for us.

Volltreffer
12/09/2003, 12:58 PM
I don't believe so.

Volltreffer
13/09/2003, 9:40 PM
Today Hakan Yakin played 67 minutes with FC Basel's U21 team. I'm sure he will be back by October 11.

tiktok
14/09/2003, 1:02 AM
Yakin will almost certainly be available so, that's something of a blow to us, given the role he plays it's going to be difficult to pick him up, he'll drift between our midfield and defence and it'll be interesting to see how Kerr handles him, although we should be solid enough defensively despite Cunningham's absence. I hope O'Shea fills the central role.
Switzerland's problem though will be defensively if the Russian game is anything to go by. I think given recent performances I would now start with Connolly and Keane up front, with Duff on the right and Kilbane on the left, and tell them to run at the swiss back four, that's where Russia caused them problems.
I still fancy us, even with Yakin back.