PDA

View Full Version : Concession fees

brianw82
10/08/2008, 12:52 PM
What do people think of them? Helpful or not?

Personally speaking, I'm not really sure they do a lot of good. €5 for kids, €10 for students and OAPs, while the ordinary Joe who's been going for years gets shafted and has to pull out an extra fiver - no reward for his loyalty.

Yeah yeah, people harp on with, "oh, the kids are the next generation, they'll get hooked and come back and pay full price when they're in their 20s/30s." Do they, though? Most kids I see are just running up and down chasing each other, with about as much interest in the game as watching a documentary on painting a house.

Would adults still bring kids along if they had to pay full price for them?

Nesta99
10/08/2008, 1:26 PM
Kids running around is the most annoying thing at a game! It is 20 times worse at any GAA match i have been to. Solution would be to have adult/child joint ticket and they are seated, in other words nowhere to run around! If concessions are in place they have to stay...have you ever tried to convince a pensioner that there is no concession for them - they become quite aggressive as if you have removed some birth right! Students could probably afford full prices depending on which ground they are paying in to, this wouldnt apply to NUIG students as Terryland is expensive for everybody.

deecay
10/08/2008, 1:30 PM
Students could probably afford full prices depending on which ground they are paying in to
No they could not

sligoman
10/08/2008, 1:47 PM
No they could notThird level students easily could. Secondary ones maybe not.

Guitd
10/08/2008, 1:54 PM
Kids running around is the most annoying thing at a game! It is 20 times worse at any GAA match i have been to. Solution would be to have adult/child joint ticket and they are seated, in other words nowhere to run around! If concessions are in place they have to stay...have you ever tried to convince a pensioner that there is no concession for them - they become quite aggressive as if you have removed some birth right! Students could probably afford full prices depending on which ground they are paying in to, this wouldnt apply to NUIG students as Terryland is expensive for everybody.

why? its €15 into terryland without concession €10 for students , whats it at other grounds ,dont think its much cheaper than that

bray boy
10/08/2008, 2:27 PM
seven euro for child/OAP in the carlisle

oldyouth
10/08/2008, 2:27 PM
Totally agree that kids running around are a pain in the artz. However, I like to go to games with my sons (who aren't earning) so the concession makes a difference. Perhaps the compromise is under 16s having a concession for each paying adult with them

bohs til i die
10/08/2008, 6:16 PM

Personally speaking, I'm not really sure they do a lot of good. €5 for kids, €10 for students and OAPs, while the ordinary Joe who's been going for years gets shafted and has to pull out an extra fiver - no reward for his loyalty.

Yeah yeah, people harp on with, "oh, the kids are the next generation, they'll get hooked and come back and pay full price when they're in their 20s/30s." Do they, though? Most kids I see are just running up and down chasing each other, with about as much interest in the game as watching a documentary on painting a house.

For the Jodi stand at Dalymount, its €20 for adults, €10 for students and €5 for u-16s/OAPs.

Clubs arent in a position to keep upping admission prices. A family of 4 going to a Bohs game could easily cost them the guts of €100 to attend a home game.

Its €50 to get in, its €15-20 for food, add in half time draw tickets, programme etc and the cost of getting from home to the ground and its an expensive night out.

No player in this league should be costing a club more then €60,000 for a full 12 month contract. The very reason they are in the eircom league to begin with is because they are average footballers. They simply arent worth anymore and the clubs simply dont have the means to generate more.

If I was a club chairman (Bohs for example) and a player and his agent told me he was getting offered 20% more by Drogheda I'd give him directions to the kip Drogheda play in.

Clubs are getting greedy and trying to squeeze more and mroe from the same hardcore numbers when the real problem is the stupid money being paid to the players.

deecay
10/08/2008, 10:10 PM
Third level students easily could. Secondary ones maybe not.
Alot of third level students I know dont have €5 in their pocket

sligoman
10/08/2008, 11:15 PM
Alot of third level students I know dont have €5 in their pocketBecause they spend it on drink, that doesn't mean they can't afford LOI football, it might mean they have to sit at home once in a while but most could afford 15euro.

deecay
10/08/2008, 11:38 PM
While theres pubs and nightclubs students wont start going to LOI,how many students are in UCD and how many even go when its free entry?

sligoman
10/08/2008, 11:39 PM
While theres pubs and nightclubs students wont start going to LOI,how many students are in UCD and how many even go when its free entry?I'm not saying they'd go, just saying it's not true to say they can't afford it.

LeixlipRed
10/08/2008, 11:58 PM
While theres pubs and nightclubs students wont start going to LOI,how many students are in UCD and how many even go when its free entry?

Rubbish, a relatively large proportion of Shels support is made up of students.

Greenforever
11/08/2008, 12:13 AM
For the Jodi stand at Dalymount, its €20 for adults, €10 for students and €5 for u-16s/OAPs.

Clubs arent in a position to keep upping admission prices. A family of 4 going to a Bohs game could easily cost them the guts of €100 to attend a home game.

Its €50 to get in, its €15-20 for food, add in half time draw tickets, programme etc and the cost of getting from home to the ground and its an expensive night out.

No player in this league should be costing a club more then €60,000 for a full 12 month contract. The very reason they are in the eircom league to begin with is because they are average footballers. They simply arent worth anymore and the clubs simply dont have the means to generate more.

If I was a club chairman (Bohs for example) and a player and his agent told me he was getting offered 20% more by Drogheda I'd give him directions to the kip Drogheda play in.

Clubs are getting greedy and trying to squeeze more and mroe from the same hardcore numbers when the real problem is the stupid money being paid to the players.

Honest post, problem is most EL people ignore the truth, too much paid out, not enough coming in.

Shiba
11/08/2008, 7:12 AM

So I guess when you where a child you never ran round when you went to a match! Ya It can be annoyn but thats Kids.Very few of them are actually in the way.
As for the concessation I have 4 boys I bring to the games so the concession prices do help. If I had to go and pay full price for them I would not be able to afford to go. And Im one of these long loyal(joe Soaps) fans that goes to every game for the last 30yrs.I dont mind paying €15 What goes round comes round when you have your own family you will see the beneifit from it.Also not many old age pensioners wud go if they had to pay full price.Look at the bigger picture not all the kids will come back in the future but some will so to have there now is the clubs future.How many of the Ultras would go if there was no concessions.

Youths4Ever
11/08/2008, 10:29 AM
prices in general in the league need to be looked at in relation to the standard of football €15 is way to much in first division.

the concession do help it makes it a more affordable family event in relation to going to Croke Park for the day to support your county team. which for all clubs is something that needs to be pushed. Not all GAA fans will go to soccer games but a lot will and we have a lot of double up in Wexford of people who do both.

Macy
11/08/2008, 11:23 AM
A lot of 3rd level students I know have double that stashed in the form of drink when they come into eircom league grounds. However, I think at Student age is when people really become hooked so I would leave the student concession there.

If you take away the consession on the children that run around, you are more than likely taking away the adult that brought them. However clubs should do away with straight concessions and have adult + child(ren) tickets (at the full price + concession ticket price) to stop the dump and run parents. If they're old enough to go the match on their own, their old enough to pay at least student prices.

brianw82
11/08/2008, 11:43 AM

That's simply not true. As others have stated, they spend it all on drink, and then cry about being 'poor students'. The working man has mortgages, car loans, car running costs, home insurance, putting kids through school, etc etc, yet he can afford the €15.

If students drank 4 less pints a week, they could get in for the full price.

brendy_éire
11/08/2008, 11:53 AM
Some students, not all mind you, do find money tight, and not necessary because of alcohol spend. IMO, all grounds should have student prices. I think €10 is fair enough.
On that note, it's €5 at Cobh for students (€15). Actually felt a bit guilty paying, like I was stealing from them for something.

Louth4sam
11/08/2008, 12:01 PM
That's simply not true. As others have stated, they spend it all on drink, and then cry about being 'poor students'. The working man has mortgages, car loans, car running costs, home insurance, putting kids through school, etc etc, yet he can afford the €15.

What a load of crap. The "working man" has an income, whereas a lot of students don't. Of course there should be concessions for students and OAPs

holidaysong
11/08/2008, 12:06 PM
Some posters on here who think that students are rolling in it should try renting and buying groceries in Dublin while being a full time student (and I'm even lucky enough to get a maintenance grant!).

LeixlipRed
11/08/2008, 1:05 PM

Bitter you never went to college is it? :rolleyes:

deecay
11/08/2008, 1:17 PM
That's simply not true. As others have stated, they spend it all on drink, and then cry about being 'poor students'. The working man has mortgages, car loans, car running costs, home insurance, putting kids through school, etc etc, yet he can afford the €15
Oh sorry you must know these people more than me,you dont have a clue

Macy
11/08/2008, 1:31 PM
foot.ie exclusive: Students drink and they're poor. Hold the front pages.

Concession for students should remain as they have limited incomes. Just because they also happen to spend some of their limited income on bottles of bucky or whatever is irrelevant - clubs are competing for part of that income. It's not like they usually get the full concession price anyway.

brianw82
11/08/2008, 1:45 PM
Oh sorry you must know these people more than me,you dont have a clue

FYI, I went to college for 4 years. Got 130e a week from my folks, 90 for rent, 20 for the train, and remaining 20 for lunches for the week. I afforded concerts and other things by working during the summer. If I attended LoI games back then, i could have easily set aside 10/15e every 2 weeks.

And yes, the generally packed pubs and busy off-licences of Maynooth would suggest that more than a few students have adequate legal tender to afford an LoI game at full price every 2 weeks.

Obviously, few here agree with my point of view so this'll be the last I say on this.

Nesta99
11/08/2008, 3:44 PM
I dont think that anyone would suggest that students are rolling in it, but to claim that they are impoverished aint true either! As a student myself im quite comfortable with grant, few quid from parents and summer work. I can afford rent, travel, food, drink and home LoI game every 2 weeks.
Grant €3000 and something, summer work €3500, add to this maybe p/t work, parents contribution, if lucky an EU top up to grant and you have bout 8000(on conservative side) grand a year which is 150pw 52 weeks or over 300pw over the 24 week college year! The amount of students with cars nowdays is indicative of their wealth now as opposed to 10yrs ago say. Back on point as i didnt intend to open this can of worms re student concessions - i think concessions are necessary they just need to be adjusted as suggested eg to give concession to adult and child ticket. As for children running around, for safety reasons it should not be allowed, this children behaving like children argument is wrong. If a parent cannot control their kids then the kids should be left at home until they are at an age that they can be controlled. Nobody under 16 should be allowed entry without being accompanied by an adult.

thischarmingman
11/08/2008, 4:09 PM
Some posters on here who think that students are rolling in it should try renting and buying groceries in Dublin...

...and sustaining Pav Monday...:p

chipsahoy
12/08/2008, 5:08 PM
im a student who has just paid a deposit on accommodation with rent starting next week. i am paying 6 weeks worth of rent before i can move into my accommodation as college doesnt start till then. i dont receive a grant. i havent been able to get a job this summer due to college commitments. i cant afford to travel to see us play bohs in the cup (granted the fact its on tv is the only reason im not going, i would find the money somehow) but it would be an expensive trip for me anyway (€12 for bus and then entrance to the stand for €15 might not be alot to some but it is to me).i think its rich of some ******* to say students shouldnt get concessions. when i have my degree and am earning my wage ill gladly pay full price and be happy for any student to get in on the cheap. so what, we should charge students full price should we??? see where the eL ends up then as regards their crowds.

oldyouth
12/08/2008, 8:57 PM
im a student who has just paid a deposit on accommodation with rent starting next week. i am paying 6 weeks worth of rent before i can move into my accommodation as college doesnt start till then. i dont receive a grant. i havent been able to get a job this summer due to college commitments. i cant afford to travel to see us play bohs in the cup (granted the fact its on tv is the only reason im not going, i would find the money somehow) but it would be an expensive trip for me anyway (€12 for bus and then entrance to the stand for €15 might not be alot to some but it is to me).i think its rich of some ******* to say students shouldnt get concessions. when i have my degree and am earning my wage ill gladly pay full price and be happy for any student to get in on the cheap. so what, we should charge students full price should we??? see where the eL ends up then as regards their crowds.
I don't mean to doubt your credentials but did you or someone else pay the deposit???

Dodge
13/08/2008, 10:26 AM
Cork don't have steudent rates. Think its disgraceful tbh.

Pats may have a high price for the stand (€20) but all accompanied kids are €5 (Unaccompanied u16s are €10). Students are €10. Terrace tickets are €15

Are clusb more likely to get 3 students at €10 each or two students at €15 each. I reckon 3 at €15. If 1 or 2 of them continue coming when they're earning, job done...

oldyouth
13/08/2008, 12:28 PM
Well I think that having kids under 12 free at Ferrycarrig Park has encouraged more paying parents to come along