PDA

View Full Version : Ireland to play at Parkhead?

Pages : [1] 2 3

lopez
10/09/2003, 10:52 AM
Got an email about an an article in yesterday's Glasgow Evening Times claiming that Ireland may well play their World Cup games at Celtic Park due to FIFA's reluctance over temporary seats.

Speculation no doubt, but what's the general feeling on this?

gspain
10/09/2003, 11:15 AM
I'll ignore the windup on a specific unpopular British venue.

Speculation also in Saturday's paper althoguh maybe Rooney putting pressure on a government that failed to deliver on promises and that after scuppering our own stadium first.

I would think it's a disaster if it comes about. We should play at home even in a 22,000 seater Lansdowne. A move to the UK would be a terrible blow even temporarily. It would of course come down to money - 67,000 at Old Trafford or 22,000 at Lansdowne.

I imagine we'd move around if it came off - London, Liverpool & Manchester being the obvious choices.

It may also be a ploy to get the government to put pressur eon the "forces of darkness" to give somethign back for their €140 million and open up Croke Park but their hatred of the crown always outweighs their love of the half crown.

Peadar
10/09/2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by lopez
Speculation no doubt, but what's the general feeling on this?

It would be a total disaster and would make the FAI the ultimate hypocrites as it would essentially reward to biggots in Ireland who promote sectarianism through their Glasgow Celtic supporter disguise.
I also don't think the transport infrastructure in Glasgow could handle the influx of supporters from Ireland. The airport certainly couldn't handle it anyway.

Macy
10/09/2003, 11:26 AM
Hopefully it is just spin to put pressure on the Government to make a decision on the redevelopment of Lansdowne and make the bogballers open up Croke Park in the meantime (although I'd nearly rather go abroad than go cap in hand to those bigots)...

If it were to come to that I'm not sure I can see anywhere else than Old Trafford - given that it's the biggest capacity in England at the moment and bar Liverpool the easiest to get too.....

James
10/09/2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Macy
If it were to come to that I'm not sure I can see anywhere else than Old Trafford - given that it's the biggest capacity in England at the moment ...

and we could all go round to macy's gaff for tea and sandwiches before the game :D
what a stupid rumour, it aint never never ever gona happen kids

Junior
10/09/2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Peadar

I also don't think the transport infrastructure in Glasgow could handle the influx of supporters from Ireland. The airport certainly couldn't handle it anyway.

Though you'd have us all believe 'its a barstool brigade' that very route takes thousands of Celtic supporters every fortnight.

2 airports in Glasgow, one in Edinburgh.
Ferry at Stranraer.

Travel Infrastructure could easily cope.

Also Think about how many supporters already travel from the UK to Dublin.

By the way I hope it never comes to it....

gspain
10/09/2003, 12:13 PM
I think it would be a bit much for anyone living in Dublin to criticse the infraastructure of any other European city. Took me anhour last night to get from the east Wall to Lansdowne thanks to a drop of rain, a Stones concert in the Point and the football.

CIE, Dublin Bus .......

Still it would be a disaster to play our home games in the UK.

ger121
10/09/2003, 12:14 PM
I'd say it's just the FAI or in particular Fran Rooney putting a bit of pressure on the Government to get the GAA to maybe open up Croke Park to Football.

It would be a major embarrassment to the Government if Ireland was forced to play its Internationals abroad. Especially when it's their failure to provide a national stadium, that has resulted in this problem arising.

Peadar
10/09/2003, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Junior
Though you'd have us all believe 'its a barstool brigade' that very route takes thousands of Celtic supporters every fortnight.

Can't ever remember telling you that.

Anyway we're talking about the bones of 50,000 people converging on the city from outside. There is no point pretending that this happens every other week when it doesn't. Plus the fact that so many people would need to pass through Cork, Dublin and Belfast airports etc. in addition to the normal traffic. It doesn't bare thinking about.

Originally posted by Macy
If it were to come to that I'm not sure I can see anywhere else than Old Trafford

But the City of Manchester Stadium is much nicer and we don't need any more than it's 40 odd thousand capacity.

max power
10/09/2003, 12:31 PM
i don't think we should even bother talking about this. Irish team = home games in Ireland, but if we were to travel anywhere, i'd rather play the home games in australia then give the loud mouth celtic fools more fuel to flame there fire of c**p !!!

pete
10/09/2003, 12:41 PM
Playing Parkhead would be a complete disaster.

Millenium Stadium in Cardiff would be good option if required - they used to tens of thousands of people visiting for games in the city.

From what i;ve heard the FAI may yet get a dispensation for the temp seats (would take a hurricane to unearth them) if they can show they have a solution for a seated stadium in place or something...

liamon
10/09/2003, 12:41 PM
What's the capacity at the Nou camp?
Or Ibrox?
Or Giants Stadium?

Who cares. Ireland won't be playing home games on foreign soil.
Not going to happen.

NigeSausagepump
10/09/2003, 12:48 PM
I expect some kind of fudge whereby the FAI are given an extra 3/4 years to sort out the stadium issue so we'll continue to play our home games at Landsdowne. During those 3/4 years the GAA will come under almighty pressure from Bertie et al to cede ground and to be fair to them they would have done at that famous vote if Bertie hadn't pressured them to uphold the ban so his famous stadium would have a raison d'etre.

The thought of taking games to Scotland/England/Wales is both pathetic and embarrasing. Imagine we got drawn against England in the WC qualifiers. We'd end up playing our away game in Old Trafford and our "home" game at Anfield. So much for home advantage.

MikeW
10/09/2003, 12:54 PM
I'd prefer if we played our home games in poxy Inchicore in front of 200 people rather than play on foreign soil, no matter how much money the FAI lose. This just can't be allowed to happen, it'd be the ultimate humiliation for Ireland as a footballing nation, worse than any 10-0 defeat. Personally I doubt if I'd ever go to another Ireland game again if they chose to play home games abroad.

I hope the politicians finally get their act together and get a plan for a new stadium going so we can beg FIFA for more time at Lansdowne (some chance I'd say). Maybe they can bargain with Mary Harney on this one - no fat tax if she allows a stadium be built.

Dodge
10/09/2003, 1:06 PM
Ireland are allowed use the buckets seats on special dispensation from UEFA on the basis that a national stadium is about to be built (eircom Park)

for the next WC qualifiers they have to get that dispensation again. Can't see us getting it so these rumours might not be so far fetched. I'd back Liverpool to get it (bound to be cheaper option for FAi then Man U or Celtic)

Peadar
10/09/2003, 1:15 PM
Originally posted by pete
Millenium Stadium in Cardiff would be good option if required

And Wales could play in Tolka instead :D
Can't see that happening some how.
The only way to keep Lansdowne Rd as the venue would be to have planning approved for a new venue in Ireland.

opplock
10/09/2003, 1:17 PM
I'm sorry but its just not true that the FAI have a dispensation for the next WC qualifying campaign. They were told in no uncertain terms in July that they cannot use temporary seating.

IMO the issue of playing abroad is a way of pressuring the government into responding to a report which they now have had for more than three months on the preferred stadium option as prepared jointly for the FAI and the IRFU.

Yet again the government are letting us down.

Peadar
10/09/2003, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by opplock
I'm sorry but its just not true that the FAI have a dispensation for the next WC qualifying campaign.

I don't think anyone said they have.
We should have stuck with eircom Park because we'd be moved in by now. Instead the FAI got bribed, Bernard O'Byrne got shafted and we ended up with nothing.

Countyman
10/09/2003, 1:35 PM
Do you all think 50,000 irish people will pay megabucks for a midweek international in the UK 5 times in a year and a half??

10,000 maybe but cant see 50k travelling. Its bad enough trying to get to Lansdowne.

I certainly wouldn't go.

Croke Park is the best option.

and forget the barstoolers...that would blow their yearly budget for their pilgrimiges to Glasgow and the like.

pete
10/09/2003, 2:10 PM
The govt are due bad "soon" to give their answer for the FAI/IRFU report.

I wonder if the recent booing Bertie been getting at Lansdowne (does the same happene in Croke Park?) make him more inclined to win back from public approval & a few votes by approving the FAI/IRFU stadium? Given the govt seem to be fecking up on a daily basis now throwing a couple of hundred million at a stadium would be cheap vote buying...

lopez
10/09/2003, 2:12 PM
Originally posted by Countyman
Do you all think 50,000 irish people will pay megabucks for a midweek international in the UK 5 times in a year and a half??

10,000 maybe but cant see 50k travelling.

Apart from Lansdowne Road, is there a football ground with 10,000 seats in Ireland?

If I were being totally selfish I would suggest alternating between Watford's Vicarage Road and Luton's Kenilworth road. But even though I don't attend home games like a did a decade ago, I'd think it would be a joke if Ireland were to play its home games in Britain.

I too hope this is just a load of cojones. For an independent country, especially one of the world's thirty richest countries, to play its home games abroad, is nothing but a national humiliation. However by highlighting the fact that there are rumours suggesting Ireland will play in Britain may be enough to shame both that cono Aherne and those other cabrones at the Grab All Association into doing the right thing.

Originally posted by MikeW
This just can't be allowed to happen, it'd be the ultimate humiliation for Ireland as a footballing nation, worse than any 10-0 defeat. .

Exactly. Let's make sure it doesn't happen then!

Peadar
10/09/2003, 2:45 PM
Apart from Lansdowne Road, is there a football ground with 10,000 seats in Ireland?

Tolka Park isn't far off 10,000 as far as I know.
That's seated 4 sides round.

lopez
10/09/2003, 3:18 PM
Tolka Park isn't far off 10,000 as far as I know.
That's seated 4 sides round.

If I'm correct then its about 8,000. Still better than playing at Watford or Luton...or Glasgow or Manchester, but seeing the number the swiss put aside for 'corporate partners', then just how many present on Saturday will gain entry to a similar match at Tolka Park?

While there are those that argue Croke Park is too big, I would suggest that it is a complete waste of money to build a soccer only stadium in a city like Dublin. Either get the go ahead to rebuild Lansdowne, in which case a spell at Parkhead or Tolka or wherever for two years would be a price worth paying, or put pressure on the GAA to allow Croke Park to be used as a national stadium for the three sports.

Thanks to consecutive Irish governments fearing the emigrant vote, and in contrast to most European countries, I don't have the vote. Bertie's remarks about 'people' (that's Irish people by the way, the real ones born in Ireland, not just plastics like myself who just have this little thing called Irish citizenship) in Manchester deciding the government of Ireland, is one reason I would have booed the w anker on Saturday had I been there, as if I was Silvio Dante just witnessing Andy Goram in a Russia shirt. But there is one thing that TDs always are concerned about and that's their constituents (or rather their consituents' votes). A bit of pressure from all football fans in Ireland, particuarly those in North Dublin, might make a difference. Hopefully BA got some of the message on Saturday.

Peadar
10/09/2003, 3:38 PM
Thanks to consecutive Irish governments fearing the emigrant vote, and in contrast to most European countries, I don't have the vote.

You don't live in Ireland so why should you have a vote?
Let's be a small little bit realistic here, you need an Irish address to be on the Register of Electors in Ireland. Without that you can't vote.

The rest of your post made no sense but I suppose we can blame the education system in England for that?

The long and the short of it is, we need to build a National Stadium with the FAI/IRFU as primary tennants or else the FAI/IRFU need to build their own ground with the support of the government. We need this to happen sooner rather than later.

How many people would be willing to make a once off donation/loan to such a project?
20,000 people paying €5,000 each would amount to €100,000,000
For that you'd get your seat for 20 years and be given special privilages.

Barna Bee
10/09/2003, 3:48 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peadar
[B]You don't live in Ireland so why should you have a vote?
Let's be a small little bit realistic here, you need an Irish address to be on the Register of Electors in Ireland. Without that you can't vote.

Peader , many countries (especially democratic ones)allow expats vote in elections . This is not an unusual request.

Since Mary Robinson , this has also been a muted move in the constitution as far as I know .

I am Irish born and bred and would love the opportunity to have a say in what happens at home.

ger121
10/09/2003, 3:51 PM
Lets say that Ireland don't make it to the play-offs(and I'm only saying:) ) then that was in affect our last competitive game at Lansdowne. So next September when the world cup qualifiers kick off we'll have to have found somewhere else to play, unless they stick with Lansdowne and I doubt they will. That doesn't leave a lot of time. The next few months will make for interesting reading

NigeSausagepump
10/09/2003, 3:59 PM
I still reckon it'll be fudged, in the grand tradition of football associations worldwide. They'll come to some mealy mouthed compromise to allow Ireland to keep playing at Landsdowne for the WCQs.

And if the horrible eventuality of playing abroad ever came to pass, you can take it as read that the likes of Ryaniar and Aer Lingus would jack the price of flights to the destination right up, thieving b*stards that they are. There's no way more than a few thousand would be able to fly to "home" games on anything approximating a regular basis.

Peadar
10/09/2003, 4:09 PM
Originally posted by Barna Bee
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peadar
[B]I am Irish born and bred and would love the opportunity to have a say in what happens at home.

There is no reason why you can't is there?
I remember hearing something (contradicting what I've said above) when I lived in England, that if you have a British address you can still vote. Not sure where you have to go to vote though.
To be honest they should sort out an On-Line voting system.

petef
10/09/2003, 4:26 PM
I think this is another journalist sitting on the bog on a Sunday afternoon wondering what new story he can concoct to fill column inches and sell papers.

lopez
10/09/2003, 4:39 PM
The rest of your post made no sense but I suppose we can blame the education system in England for that?

Miiiiiaow! Put your nails back in, darling. I didn't do so bad myself (university, BA, MA) and I went to a crap comprehensive. Just imagine what would I have become if I had your education.

Still I bet there is one subject that I'm sure wasn't taught at your school and that was Irish emigration. Bit of a dirty word in the Ireland pre-Celtic tiger days, wasn't it?

Let me explain my post to you.

"...seeing the number the swiss put aside for 'corporate partners', then just how many present on Saturday will gain entry to a similar match at Tolka Park?"

In other words, taking away corporate hangers-on, politicians, away fans nowhere near the 10,000 Irish fans you suggest would travel abroad would gain entry to games.

"...I would suggest that it is a complete waste of money to build a soccer only stadium in a city like Dublin."

IMO the money would be better spent on a couple of hospitals. (No need for education, because as you prove yourself, this is wonderful in Ireland).

"Thanks to consecutive Irish governments fearing the emigrant vote, and in contrast to most European countries, I don't have the vote."

Most European countries allow their citizens a vote, no matter where they live and sometimes no matter where they were born. True these countries do not have the same proportion living outside their states than inside and a PR system based on list system rather than on constituencies. Trouble is, and this is my opinion, Ireland likes to think of its emigrants in the way they used to treat its daughters that got pregnant outside of marriage.

Still not to suggest that I think you are total p r i c k, I did like the idea of a €5,000 donation.

petef
10/09/2003, 4:45 PM
Fair point, I'm not sure why he took such a stance towards you, just because a person doesnt live in the Ireland I dont see why they shouldnt have a say in the countries running.

lopez
10/09/2003, 4:50 PM
Originally posted by petef
Fair point, I'm not sure why he took such a stance towards you, just because a person doesnt live in the Ireland I dont see why they shouldnt have a say in the countries running.

Next he'll be saying because I don't live in the country, I shouldn't be allowed to watch Ireland play (as opposed to play for Ireland, of course).:D

patsh
10/09/2003, 5:47 PM
Croke Park will open soon for soccer games, and if things go well, it's more than possible that it will be available for WC qualifiers.

Btw, it should be pointed out that one solitary person can be held responsible for the fact that we do not have a national soccer stadium or have an agreement to play in the only proper stadium in the country. Not the FAI, they tried to build their own stadium, not the GAA, not the IRFU, not the PD's, not even FF. It is none other than Man U and Celtic's biggest fan, the so-called sports lover himself, B. Ahern. Actually he probably would prefer to go to Parkhead or Old Trafford, he'd feel right at home there.

Bald Student
10/09/2003, 6:06 PM
Back to the original topic of the thread, didn't the
English FA play the FA Cup final in Wales while Wembley is being redeveloped? I understand that the sky didn't fall in that day.

The all Ireland football final was played in New York one year. The GAA survived that.

Would losing the however many million euro involved in playing in front of a smaller crowd in Dublin not be of greater damage to Irish soccer than playing some international games abroad.

tiktok
10/09/2003, 6:46 PM
Originally posted by Bald Student
Back to the original topic of the thread, didn't the
English FA play the FA Cup final in Wales while Wembley is being redeveloped? I understand that the sky didn't fall in that day.

The all Ireland football final was played in New York one year. The GAA survived that.

Would losing the however many million euro involved in playing in front of a smaller crowd in Dublin not be of greater damage to Irish soccer than playing some international games abroad.

the FAI would lose money on the deal anyway, Celtic aren't going to let them have the ground for free, are they.

when Liverpool played at Cardiff, a liverpool fan could get in their car, didn't have a border check and were in the ground sooner than they would have been in wembley.

the polo grounds was a once off, if the GAA suddenly decided to play all their championship games in another country there'd be uproar, people complain about having armagh -v- tyrone in croker as it is....(and rightly so)

which leads me to croke park, The GAA have to fill that stadium as often as they can because the running costs are so high, it takes an attendance of 25,000 per game for them to break even on costs, eventually they will see that letting the FAI in will make financial sense and they will give in. all the talk about the pitch being too big is irrelevant, you'd be a lot further from the field of play if they moved the games to Britain.

Macy
11/09/2003, 8:19 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
the FAI would lose money on the deal anyway, Celtic aren't going to let them have the ground for free, are they.
The IRFU don't let the FAI use the ground for free either, and with the temp seats and the resultant increased insurance costs I'd say it costs the FAI a fair whack to put on games in Lansdowne. FF/PD have to accept that they fooked up by not supporting eP, left the FAI with no choice but to go with the Bertie Bowl and now must cough up...

NO TO GOING CAP IN HAND TO CROKER BIGOTS! They can hand over Croker to the state (seeing as so much tax money was put into it) or fook off.

On the whole vote thing, I think it's ridiculous the way it operates in the UK for example with ex-pats voting.... It's people that are living in the country that have put up with the policies of whoever is elected.... Also I think it would drag us back further into the civil war politics that we desperately need to get away with.... btw it's not a question of Irishness by not giving the vote, logically it just doesn't make sense!

liamon
11/09/2003, 8:30 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
.. croke park, The GAA have to fill that stadium as often as they can because the running costs are so high, it takes an attendance of 25,000 per game for them to break even on costs, eventually they will see that letting the FAI in will make financial sense and they will give in.

GAA using common sense? Can't see that happening in the near future. They don't need to worry about money, coz they know that no government could allow them to go bankrupt.

We need a new stadium for Rugby/Football/etc. Lansdowne might be an option if it was rebuilt, but it probably makes more sense to sell it off to a developer and build on the outskirts of Dublin.

Peadar
11/09/2003, 8:57 AM
Most European countries allow their citizens a vote,

I don't know what you're getting so worked up about.
If you vote in Ireland all you can choose between are a few poxy parties who are so similar that it matters very little which one holds power. New governments come and go but nothing ever changes.
Check out a book called "This Great Little Nation" written By Gene Kerrigan and Pat Brennan
Published by Gill & Macmillan
ISBN: 0717129373
If it's a vote you're after we have online polls here all the time :D

Your point about building hospitals instead of a football stadium is rubbish because government departments get budgets and if the money isn't spent on a national stadium it will be spent on a new lawnmower for the Morton Stadium.

I wasn't suggesting that the education system in England was inferior to ours, I was suggesting that since you were in the mood for blaming governments you might want to have a go at them as well.

lopez
11/09/2003, 10:56 AM
If you vote in Ireland all you can choose between are a few poxy parties who are so similar that it matters very little which one holds power.

As if its different in Britain. I agree that FF and FG are like tweedle dum and tweedle dee (AP/RN had both Fitzgerald and CJ on the cover in the early eighties dressed as them). However politicians still like to keep their jobs, and maybe they will be influenced by voters on this particular issue.

Check out a book called "This Great Little Nation" written By Gene Kerrigan and Pat Brennan.

Got it already.

If it's a vote you're after we have online polls here all the time :D

Opinion polls are not as effective as deseating politicians.

Your point about building hospitals instead of a football stadium is rubbish because government departments get budgets and if the money isn't spent on a national stadium it will be spent on a new lawnmower for the Morton Stadium.

Poor excuse. The Minister of Finance's budgets are made for the purpose of allocating money. There is nothing to stop him switching money from sport to health, if he and the cabinet chose it.

I wasn't suggesting that the education system in England was inferior to ours, I was suggesting that since you were in the mood for blaming governments you might want to have a go at them as well.

You were trying to take the p**s. Anyway, how does the British government's well known shortcomings affect the fact that Ireland has no decent national stadium to host soccer and rugby? Except for their fear of true democracy for all its citizens (which can be comparable to 'New' Labour's rejection of PR), I wasn't having a go at the government. I was dissing Bertie Aherne for reasons already stated by patsh. If he hadn't stuck his nose in with that bag of cash, everybody wanting to see Ireland's games in the forthcoming World Cup would be there. Instead, people like yourself will either be spending hundreds of euros in hotel and travel or fighting over probably 4,000 tickets for Tolka Park.

Schumi
11/09/2003, 2:53 PM
What is UEFA's problem with temp. seats anyway? Are they less safe than normal ones?

Schumi
11/09/2003, 2:55 PM
As for emigrants getting votes, they don't contribute anything to the country (taxes etc.) and aren't affected by decisions of the government so why should they get to decide what happens to those of us who live in Ireland?

PS The emigrant debate should be split off this thread.

ccfcman
11/09/2003, 4:04 PM
it wont happen,this is rep. of ireland not shamrock rovers:D
:ball: :ball: :ball:

lopez
11/09/2003, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
As for emigrants getting votes, they don't contribute anything to the country (taxes etc.)

How much is the price of passport? 50 Euros? 60 Euros? Me and the missus paid £80 plus another £120 for foreign births certificates so the children could be put on her passport. A pittance, true, but it's £200 more than a lot of the people in Ireland ever contributed to their country. But don't suppose you'll be asking for them to be disenfranchised.

...and aren't affected by decisions of the government so why should they get to decide what happens to those of us who live in Ireland?

Except that Ireland games may well be closer to home than before. Oh of course those of us who want to move/return to Ireland or just have Irish citizenship, will vote for someone who will turn the country into something like Afghanistan.

Personally, I'd give the vote to all taxpayers in the state, including foreigners, but then the ICP sympathisers will be up in arms about that too.

PS The emigrant debate should be split off this thread.

Like I said, it was a dirty word pre-tiger... Looks like it's still a dirty word today.

Peadar
11/09/2003, 4:54 PM
Me and the missus paid £80 plus another £120 for foreign births certificates so the children could be put on her passport. A pittance, true, but it's £200 more than a lot of the people in Ireland ever contributed to their country.

If you want to drive a Porsche you can't expect it for as little as the cost of a Fiesta!
Irish passports are very valuable as you may already know.
So what's your complaint?
You value the Irish passport but are píssed off because you had to pay for it and some Irish citizens have never contributed to the exchequer? There must be so many things in every day life that upset you? Just imagine this, if we do build a new stadium, it will cost you a fortune to go to the games.

patsh
11/09/2003, 4:55 PM
As usual this has brought out those bigoted about the GAA, with their usual rants and criticisms.
However, it's the GAA, who built the state of the art, 80,000 seater stadium, as well as the other 40,000 to 50,000 seater stadiums, with SOME money from the state (a fraction of what the GAA itself has put into communities all over the country in terms of facilities, time and the general health of people).
No other sports association managed it, for all the GAA's faults.

pete
11/09/2003, 5:19 PM
Originally posted by patsh
As usual this has brought out those bigoted about the GAA, with their usual rants and criticisms.
However, it's the GAA, who built the state of the art, 80,000 seater stadium, as well as the other 40,000 to 50,000 seater stadiums, with SOME money from the state (a fraction of what the GAA itself has put into communities all over the country in terms of facilities, time and the general health of people).

The govt contributed upwards on 100m to Croke Park so i'd hardly say it was a small percentage. Don't think anyone says they don't deserve the cash but surely the FAI are due a similar amount.

Fact: More people play football (soccer) than any other sport in Ireland. I also think more kids play 'soccer' in Ireland than any other sport. I know it wasn't always like that but thats the way it is now.

patsh
11/09/2003, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Patsh, ..........................but I agree with you.

Hmm, you must not have read an earlier post !;) :D

As for €100,000,000 pete, it's a drop in the ocean to the worth of the GAA grounds around the country. As for the FACT that more people play soccer than any other sport, it only shows up what an amazing organisation the GAA can be. Instead of Fran Rooney, maybe a few past presidents of the GAA would have been better and cheaper!;)

pete
11/09/2003, 6:22 PM
As for €100,000,000 pete, it's a drop in the ocean to the worth of the GAA grounds around the country. As for the FACT that more people play soccer than any other sport, it only shows up what an amazing organisation the GAA can be. Instead of Fran Rooney, maybe a few past presidents of the GAA would have been better and cheaper!;)

Don't see what any of thats got to do with the FAI stadium debate. The GAA do a fine job but for a political organisation & the FAI are too concerned with constant infighting but none of this takes away from the FAIs right to a slice of the cash.

btw excluding Croke Park i get the impression most GAA grounds around the while big 'n all that wouldn't have a chance at passing the upcoming Uefa club licencing let alone be fit for international fixtures.

Peadar
12/09/2003, 8:34 AM
Originally posted by Conor74
England prides itself on being the home of football yet play in Cardiff.

England don't play in Cardiff unless they're away to Wales.
They are without a National Stadium at the moment but rotate the venues for their International games. Remember seven years ago they were able to single handedly host the European Championships. Even with the prospect of Croke Park being available we couldn't muster a serious joint bid with Scotland to host the tournament scheduled for 2008.
So I think we can safely leave England out of this argument.
What we need to do is become proactive as a nation rather that taking up our traditional place on the ditch. We've talked for long enough. Now is the time to start building. Hell, I'd even be willing to give up my 23 day's of annual leave and some weekends to carry a hod if needed. The politicians have too much power in this "Democracy". If this country slips into recession we wont have a damn thing to show for the Celtic Tiger.
The irony is that many attribute the origins of the Celtic Tiger to sense of good will and national pride experienced during and after the Euro88 tournament. 15 years later football has prospered little in this country.

Macy
12/09/2003, 8:53 AM
GAA are bigoted because they class my (your) sport as an inferior foriegn game - they're quite happy to use Rugby and proper football facilities for training, but not let us use their grounds or facilities. The GAA wouldn't exist in most other countries if it wasn't for football, rugby and even cricket grounds letting them use their facilities. Thats not even getting into the fact that players were banned from the GAA for playing the so called Garrison Games. They are bigots.

On the stadium: All the Government had to do was provide us with a similar level of funding to that recieved from the GAA and we already would have our own ground. Instead Bertie left the FAI with no option but to go with Stadium Ireland - no funding and then the bribes on top. The least the Government should do is get it's finger out of it's @rse and come to a decision re the new ground.

btw There is no other 40-50,000 seater Gah grounds - I'd be surprised if any others have even 20000 seats (and less again if you don't count wooden benches). Even croker isn't 80,000 seats

btw2 I thought there was some debate whether even Croker was up to UEFA standards due to the exits? That's not even including the fact that the Hill would be out of action.