PDA

View Full Version : Ex Rangers player appluaded at Lansdowne

gspain
10/09/2003, 8:01 AM
Great game, Great atmosphere. David Connolly back as an International class striker, Colin Healy back on form and a well deserved draw with the 3rd best team in the world.

Buy best of all - Tugay was not booed despite running the show for Turkey showing incredible skill and touch and indeed he received a warm round of applause when he was substituted in the 2nd half. Nobody called him a "dirty proddie" or an "orange *******" No sectarian booing.

Yes there was passion, yes the fans on both sides booed bad challenges and the occasional refereeing mistake (he was good though) but thankfully none of the ugly stuff that had crept in.

Great to see and long may it continue. Maybe it was the rain that kept the sectarian bigots away.

max power
10/09/2003, 10:45 AM
as said on news talk 106 yesterday evening, a majority of people didn't even know tugay played for rangers that is why he wasn;t booed

gspain
10/09/2003, 11:26 AM
2 seasons - 58 appearances - won a league medal.

Surely loyal Celtic fans would remember hiim although most Celtic fans probably do it's just the morons who didn't fancy getting their white hoods wet last night.

gspain
10/09/2003, 11:27 AM
BTW I'm not implying that the majority of Celtic fans are morons - just the bigoted minority who thankfully stayed away last night. Please don't come back.

Dodge
10/09/2003, 11:53 AM
Agree completely but I think most irish Celtic fans are idiots and unless they were told he played for Rangers (i.e. media building it up before hand) I don't thik they would notice. Muppets the lot of 'em

Junior
10/09/2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Dodge
Agree completely but I think most irish Celtic fans are idiots and unless they were told he played for Rangers (i.e. media building it up before hand) I don't thik they would notice. Muppets the lot of 'em

1) Sectarian bigots - Muppets Agreed.
2) Most Irish Celtic fans are muppets? - Disagree and take offence to,

3) EL supporters sounding like a broken record and turning every post into an anti celtic one?

Muppets the lot of 'em:o

pete
10/09/2003, 1:29 PM
Yeah only booing last night was for Turkey goalkeeper clown & boring feckers in the East Stand that wouldn't continue the mexican wave. Jeez ever the West stand outdid them.

:eek:

Éanna
10/09/2003, 6:20 PM
well said. they ARE muppets- well most of them

Cityace
10/09/2003, 7:46 PM
Originally posted by Junior
1) Sectarian bigots - Muppets Agreed.
2) Most Irish Celtic fans are muppets? - Disagree and take offence to,

3) EL supporters sounding like a broken record and turning every post into an anti celtic one?

Muppets the lot of 'em:o

Didnt this post start off as a Rangers/Celtic Thread??

Muppet

Junior
11/09/2003, 9:26 AM
Originally posted by Cityace
Didnt this post start off as a Rangers/Celtic Thread??

Muppet

Did it start off as an Anti Celtic one? No

The point I was trying to make is that it seems a fair number of threads under 'National Team' area of this forum seem to end up with EL fans sniping at Celtic fans.

Personally if I want to see that then I'll go to Celtic / Rangers forums, obv people can post what they want but I'd much prefer to be reading about travel tips, ticket advice, Irish performances players etc...

Im beginning to think that some of the EL supporters have a massive chip on their shoulders, but Im sure thats not the case.

Dodge
11/09/2003, 10:08 AM
I know a fair few Pats fans who go over to watch Celtic regularly. They are Pats first, Celtic second. I have absolutely no problem with these people.

What I do have a problem with is people who support Celtic solely or their “Irish” connections but won’t support a true Irish club

I too used to have a fondness for Celtic until Pats played them in Europe in 1998. We went over to Glasgow and were treated like kings. Genuine Glaswegian Celtic fans were great and everyone of them wished us well.. The 2nd leg in Tolka was the total opposite. I was surrounded by muppets telling our Scottish striker (ian Gilzean) to “**** off back to Britain” and continually abusing our English striker Leon Braithwaite. (Surprisingly they didn’t slag Celtic’s English centre half marking him) At the end of the game. The Glaswegian Celts starting singing “St Patrick’s” clap clap clap… in recognition of a brave effort by the part timers. The fools around me tried to join in but the start singing “Celtic” After the game the Glaswegians swapped scarves and jersies etc with us. The Dubliners slagged us.

That’s why I think most Celtic fans are idiots.

Junior
11/09/2003, 2:41 PM

That’s why I think most Celtic fans are idiots.

Fair enough you are entitled to your opinion, and have backed it up with an experience, however,

"most celtic fans are idiots", but you have implied from your experience that the Glasgow ones were ok - where do you think most Celtic fans come from? How many Celtic fans do you actually know?, I think its a pretty juvenile attitude.

Dodge
11/09/2003, 2:45 PM
Read the original post. I said Irish Celtic fans. In that long post I made it quite clear that Glaswegian Celtic fans are cool.

Junior
11/09/2003, 3:09 PM
Read the original post. I said Irish Celtic fans. In that long post I made it quite clear that Glaswegian Celtic fans are cool.

I did read the oroginal post and quoted you, just to help you out, Its still a juvenile attitude, but hey, I doubt I will change your view.

max power
11/09/2003, 4:52 PM
well thats my view too and dodge is correct in every word he says, if there was a prize for talking out of the anal end of the body, i think a lot of irish celtic fans would be in with a shot of winning it.

its the whole, your irish you have to support celtic blah blah blah !!!

no i'm irish and i support an EL team in an Irish league, no matter how bad the football is or how " uncool" it is to do so. is the chant goes " i'm longofrd till i die ". i'm from longofrd and support longford, they are from Ireland and support a scotish team ???

sad really, sheep the lot of em, baaa baaa, everyone else is supporting celtic, i must do it too baa baa !!!

clarkeyboy
11/09/2003, 6:17 PM
quite new to this site but i really am amazed at how bitter alot of the posters are. i was born a bohs fan, went to a lot of crap games over the years, was always miffed at the devotion to english footie so as a mark of rebellion refused to follow any of them and started following celtic. ( at the start of rangers 9 in a row) i was still a bohs fan and still am, but i never became bitter at the liverpool or manu fans. each man to their own. so why have you el posters got such a problem with the celts? " sheep, following sheep etc", i don't read the same vitriol being heaped on supporters of english teams. blanketing celtic supporters as idiots is just as juvenile as saying all cork fans are stinking culchies or all pats/bohs/rovers fans are all thieving dublin gypos. get over yourselves and grow up, these stereotypes are about as usefull as lee carsley. of course there are individual plonkers who support celtic but, eanna and the boys, next time you're huddled in the shed, take a look around you, i bet you can spot a few yourself. every team has them. if venting spleen at the celts gives you some form of emotional release then that's great and i just hope you are stocked up on the kleenex. ;)

Duncan Gardner
14/09/2003, 8:33 PM
But of course Celtic (and Rangers) aren't 'just' football teams in Ireland, the way Liverpool or ManU are. Like it or not they're defined by their links with each other and to the NI conflict.

Anyway I'm glad Tugay wasn't singled out. But isn't he a veteran now- why weren't the Turks trialling some younger players?

tiktok
14/09/2003, 8:48 PM
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
why weren't the Turks trialling some younger players?

same reason we weren't I'd say Duncan, big game coming up against england, i think they wanted to make sure everyone would be on song....

as for booing tugay, i'm glad he wasn't but i think it goes to show that a lot of those who indulge in the booing wouldn't have recognised an old firm player from either club prior to martin o'neill taking over.

Lionel Hutz
15/09/2003, 5:22 AM
Originally posted by tiktok

as for booing tugay, i'm glad he wasn't but i think it goes to show that a lot of those who indulge in the booing wouldn't have recognised an old firm player from either club prior to martin o'neill taking over.

Christ!
Are ye that bitter?
Tugay WASNT booed (BTW Im not saying anyone should be) but you still have to get a dig in!
Sad, very sad.............
:rolleyes:

Duncan Gardner
15/09/2003, 10:18 AM
Aye, come on Tiktok. Are ye saying that people would support Celtic for years and not recognise any of their players, nor Rangers'? How many ManU or Liverpool are ignorant of Beckham or Owen?:)

clarkeyboy
15/09/2003, 12:33 PM
good god, so if celtic fans do boo rangers/ex-rangers players, they get slaughtered, if they don't, they get slaughtered. if this doesn't prove that there is an agenda here then nothing will. please get a grip.

tiktok
15/09/2003, 6:56 PM
Originally posted by Lionel Hutz
Are ye that bitter?
Tugay WASNT booed (BTW Im not saying anyone should be) but you still have to get a dig in!

What i was saying is that it suggests that most of those who were indulging in the booing are scumbags who've recently jumped on the Celtic bandwagon, and not neccessarily guys who supported celtic while rangers won nine titles in a row.

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
Aye, come on Tiktok. Are ye saying that people would support Celtic for years and not recognise any of their players, nor Rangers'? How many ManU or Liverpool are ignorant of Beckham or Owen?:)

No, i'm saying that the little bum fluff upper lip idiots who insist on putting a republican unionist slant on old firm games (and i'm sorry, they do exist), would not have recognised Tugay because they had no interest in watching scottish soccer until celtic won something, i.e. maybe those booing have not been supporting 'Celtic for years'

Originally posted by clarkeyboy
good god, so if celtic fans do boo rangers/ex-rangers players, they get slaughtered, if they don't, they get slaughtered. if this doesn't prove that there is an agenda here then nothing will. please get a grip.

jesus, i was completely opposed to the booing, it's there if you want to read my posts, it was pathetic.
but here i suggest that real celtic fans at the game who knew who tugay was didn't boo him, say i'm glad they didn't, and suddenly i have an 'agenda'. and i get three knee jerk reactions, one from someone who's openly admitted he dislikes ALL el fans, one who's paranoid, although Duncan, you're OK, you just seem to have misunderstood a lesser point.

here i'll even add to my argument, a real Celtic fan would have known what Peter Lovenkrands would have looked like (as a man u fan would recognise milan baros, let alone Oen from the pool) and not gone on the say so of a PA announcer who got it wrong, maybe it's simply idiots booing.

gspain
16/09/2003, 8:00 AM
Fully agree with tiktok - plenty of real Celtic fans at the game who wouldn't boo because they don't like the damage done to their club by the morons and because it has nothing to do with an Ireland v Turkey match.

Lovenkrands is very distinctive and looks nothing like Madsen. Furthermore he was banging in goals v Celtic at the time.

Tugay was all over the papers for 2 years at Rangers due to his fiery relationship with the club.

clarkeyboy
16/09/2003, 5:00 PM
glad to hear some reasonable comment on the matter. some of us celtic fans have been through the ringer for too long to be labelled they way it tends to appear on these pages. i never supported the booing in any way, but i definately felt the "backlash" was a bit over the top. however i understand the younger element could do with their wings clipped, but it still rancours to hear your club and fans getting labelled in that manner when you know that is not a true representation of what celtic is all about.

BanagherOK!
17/09/2003, 11:38 PM
Tugay hardly merited any attention whatsoever as he never had any feeling for Rangers and wasnt there long enough (as a regular player) to give him the profile that other ex players might have had.

Ive noticed reading through these threads that some members seem more to have a problem with Irishmen (and women) supporting Celtic but at the same time think that Scottish Celtic fans are fine,,,is this down to the fact that Celtic as a club have a bigger support amongst the Irish than any team playing football in Ireland????,,,,,,touch of jealousy there I think,,a bit like all those small teams in Scotland who complain that supporters leave there towns and villages each week to travel to Glasgow while ignoring "their local " team, if you think thats ever going to change your ****ing against the wind!