PDA

View Full Version : Feel bad for Crowe

ger121
10/09/2003, 12:44 AM
I have to say I enjoyed the match tonight, it was very entertaining. However I was disappointed Crowe did not get a run out even for a few minutes. Kerr used 17 of the 20 players in the squad. He said he was going to rest Morrison yet he put him on with 5 minutes to go. Maybe he could have given Glen a chance instead as his opportunities for a game are more limited than Morrison's. After all it was only a friendly and he could have put Crowe on to see what he is capable of. I feel let down by Kerr as I'm sure Glen Crowe does.

tiktok
10/09/2003, 2:15 AM
to be fair we were one down at the time and Morrison does have a habit of scoring coming on as a sub.
had we been two up or two down, you may well have seen Crowe come on, but not when we were chasing a close game.

friendly or not, Kerr wanted to avoid the loss and saw Morrison as the better option.

elroy
10/09/2003, 9:32 AM
Sorry but i really dont think Crowe is upto it.
Was really hoping for big things from home for bohs in the CL this year, especially against rosenborg but he was very poor in both games.
Would have Morrison ahead of him definitely

pete
10/09/2003, 9:35 AM
I think Kerr has shown that he doesn't give irish caps unless players deserve it - no charity caps.

Kerr is not realistically going to play Crowe against Switzerland in any way & since that was the sole purpose of last nights game he was never going to get a game.

ger121
10/09/2003, 11:58 AM
I have to say lads if it was O'Flynn in the Ireland squad last night instead of Crowe and many of you feel it might have been but for his injury, then I think you would be saying the same thing as I. Would you be happy with O'Flynn just making up the numbers or do you think he's worth more than that. Lets be honest!!!

Peadar
10/09/2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ger121
I was disappointed Crowe did not get a run out even for a few minutes.

I thought Doherty was rubbish last night and didn't deserve the 90 minutes. It would have been an idea to see Crowe brought on with 15 minutes go where he could have forraged for Connolly. I think it was a game that would have suited Crowe. He's good at breaking up the ball in the final third and creating chances. John O'Flynn is a very different striker to Crowe. He made Barrett look good in the U21's last Friday. I doubt Kerr wants another John O'Flynn type player when he's got Keane, Connolly, Lee and Morrison.
At least we got a wave off Crowe last night, albeit a shy little wave.

liamon
10/09/2003, 12:36 PM
i think last night's team was all about the Swiss game. Starting line up last night could well be the way we line out aginst the Swiss. So, using the game to look at players in a general sense was never going to be on.

Duff and Keane are first choice. I thought Connolly had a great game last night (never thought I'd write that anywhere) and could move up the pecking order and become the next in line if he keeps it up. Doherty is obviously favoured for his ability on high balls. Morrison has an enviable scoring record. Don't see much room for Crowe, O'Flynn or anyone else as things stand. Given the proximity to the Swiss game, I recon Kerr doesn't see the point in giving players a run if they won't be playing.

ger121
10/09/2003, 1:22 PM
Originally posted by liamon
i think last night's team was all about the Swiss game. Starting line up last night could well be the way we line out aginst the Swiss. So, using the game to look at players in a general sense was never going to be on.

Given the proximity to the Swiss game, I recon Kerr doesn't see the point in giving players a run if they won't be playing.

I seriously doubt that Murphy, Mcphail or Dunne will be in the starting line up or come of the bench to play against Switzerland yet they got a run out against Turkey. So if Kerr is only using players who will feature against the swiss, why did he play the 3 I mentioned above???

SÓC
10/09/2003, 1:27 PM
Crowe should have gotten a run out alright last night, he's only gotten about 65 mins of international football to prove himself, in Greece he was by far the better of himself and Doherty.

thecorner
10/09/2003, 2:40 PM
ever notice that crowe is only called up for friendly games

is this just a token gesture from kerr

u mite as well have a player from the first div. making up the numbers if they arent gonna get a run

petef
10/09/2003, 4:31 PM
I agree, maybe he feels he owes some debt to the Irish League.

John83
10/09/2003, 5:45 PM
No debt, I think, just a clever manipulation of the eL fans - by getting them behind him, he get's the most vocal fans Ireland has supporting him. It's sly, and maybe not the right interpretation, but not everyone who's worked with Kerr thinks he's a wonderful person.

Slash/ED
10/09/2003, 6:07 PM
I think you're over complicating things here, if he was playing for some first division English side it would have gone unnoticed he was left on the bench.

The fact is, he was called in to the squad as Alan Lee was injured, he wasn't in Brian Kerrs original thinking for the friendly and was only in for cover if others got injured.

thecorner
10/09/2003, 6:23 PM
Originally posted by Slash/ED
I think you're over complicating things here, if he was playing for some first division English side it would have gone unnoticed he was left on the bench.

The fact is, he was called in to the squad as Alan Lee was injured, he wasn't in Brian Kerrs original thinking for the friendly and was only in for cover if others got injured.

this is only one case

the rest of the squads he was also in were all friendlies
explain that?

Condex
10/09/2003, 6:29 PM
If the scouts from the clubs in England 1,2,3 don't think hes worth a contract then its doubtful if hes worth a place in the international squad let alone team.

Slash/ED
10/09/2003, 6:37 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
this is only one case

explain that?

Because he's not good enough.

He got into the Greece game as really we had a rake of injuries that day, double digits if memory serves. Played well enough to get into the squad against Norway but he's form has dipped since then and Alan Lees has improved so he's now taken him over in the pecking order, and he was in the Turkish squad because of an injury to Alan Lee.

pete
11/09/2003, 9:22 AM
Originally posted by Condex
If the scouts from the clubs in England 1,2,3 don't think hes worth a contract then its doubtful if hes worth a place in the international squad let alone team.

Why would anyone want to emigrate to play english lower division football? Money isn't everything.

Dodge
11/09/2003, 10:15 AM
this is only one case

explain that?
He was the squad for WC Qualifiers against Portugal and Estonia too. He’s in the quad on merit, he’s not on the team on merit. Kerr doesn’t believe in tokenism. When eL players are good enough, they’ll be involved. At least this manager knows they are there.

Plastic Paddy
11/09/2003, 10:55 AM
Agreed. And it's a good thing for the wider credibility of the domestic game that the likes of Crowe at senior level and Wes Hoolahan, John O'Flynn and Dan Connor at under-21 are involved with the national set-up. Hopefully it will help persuade the young ones coming through that staying at home is a viable career option, rather than one necessarily of last resort.

It does concern me slightly that the likes of Stephen Capper, Keith Gilroy and Keith Graydon - all with decent under-21 experience within the national set-up - are dropping into the English Conference for first-team football. Surely eL clubs should be making an effort to get these boys back home? Maybe the League itself could sponsor such moves, along the lines of the MLS approach (central contracts) to players in the United States. Either way, these boys should not be allowed to fall off the map in England when they could be continuing their development at home.

:) PP

ger121
11/09/2003, 1:40 PM
ever notice that crowe is only called up for friendly games

is this just a token gesture from kerr

u mite as well have a player from the first div. making up the numbers if they arent gonna get a run

In all fairness to Brian Kerr he did include Crowe in the squad for the games against Georgia and Albania but he had to withdraw due to an injury, so he has been included in 5 squads in the last year. Not bad going for a player no matter what you league you play in.

Bluebeard
11/09/2003, 1:57 PM
Actually the guy I feel sorriest for is Paddy Kenny of sheffield United, who, by all accounts has been one of the main reasons that they have come to prominence of recent months. It seems like nothing he can do is enough to get into the squad. I think he made one squad recently, while Dean Kiely still deigned to turn up for us and someone was injured, and then the third keepers place goes to young Murphy.

No disrespect to Murphy, he is a very good young keeper, but Kenny has a first team place and is doing very well there. It's not likely that WBA are going to sell Hoult - he's a gloved god in the Hawthorns.

I hear good things of Reid at Forest too.

tiktok
11/09/2003, 5:20 PM
there was a topic on this recently Bluebeard and it seems that Kenny is currently injured (and unfortunately out long term) with damage to his cruciate ligament.
having said that, Kerr didn't seem that interested in him before this.

RomanAbramovich
11/09/2003, 8:01 PM
to be honest i would pick glen crowe over david connolly i know connolly plays english first division but i honestly dont rate him. and as for glen crowe if he was given games who knows.

Plastic Paddy
11/09/2003, 9:40 PM
Originally posted by RomanAbramovich
to be honest i would pick glen crowe over david connolly i know connolly plays english first division but i honestly dont rate him. and as for glen crowe if he was given games who knows.

You'd take an out-of-sorts Crowe over Connolly, the consistently-twenty-plus-a-season English First Division striker? Really?!?

No... please stop... my sides are hurting... :D :p :D

:p PP

ger121
11/09/2003, 9:54 PM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
You'd take an out-of-sorts Crowe over Connolly, the consistently-twenty-plus-a-season English First Division striker? Really?!?

No... please stop... my sides are hurting...

:p PP

You're saying Crowe is out of sorts. He has scored 11 league goals in 16 league games. If Connolly or Morrison had scored that many you would be singing their praises.

Oh but you probably think 11 goals in 16 games in the el is nothing. What do you mean out of sorts anyway. His job is to score goals and that is what he does, no more no less.

So if Connolly hasn't scored that many goals in a few weeks time will you be saying he's out of sorts too. Coz it's so hard to score against footballing giants like Crewe, Rotherham and Bradford.

Now you are making me laugh:D :D

Slash/ED
11/09/2003, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by ger121
You're saying Crowe is out of sorts. He has scored 11 league goals in 16 league games. If Connolly or Morrison had scored that many you would be singing their praises.

Oh but you probably think 11 goals in 16 games in the el is nothing. What do you mean out of sorts anyway. His job is to score goals and that is what he does, no more no less.

So if Connolly hasn't scored that many goals in a few weeks time will you be saying he's out of sorts too. Coz it's so hard to score against footballing giants like Crewe, Rotherham and Bradford.

Now you are making me laugh:D :D

Well Crowe struggled against third division opposition!

Do you honestly believe Crowe is better then Connolly, despite the fact he failed in the third division whereas Connolly is probably the first divisions best striker? And Crowe failed with no less then four clubs in England, so you can't say it was a one off or it just didn't happen for him, he had enough chances and if he was good enough he wouldn't be playing for Bohs. If he came up through the ranks at Bohs you might have a point but he didn't.

And I don't rate Connolly that highly either.

ger121
11/09/2003, 10:48 PM
I do not think that crowe is a better player than Connolly, The point I was making was that if you've scored 11 goals in 16 league games how can you be called out of sorts.

He should be given credit where credit is due. He has done a good job for Bohs over the last four years good enough in fact to become the first el player in 16 years to play for Ireland. That is no mean feat.

Ok he did not make it in England but many players have had bad starts to their careers and then gone on to have success. He is still a young enough player and who knows where he will end up.

Afterall Connolly didn't make it in Holland but came back to do a good job in England. That is why I believe you should be judged on current form and not mistakes you've made in the past.

Éanna
11/09/2003, 11:00 PM
flynnys better than both of them! 2 or 3 years time it'll be Glen Who and and David Who! :)