PDA

View Full Version : Irish Olympic Football Team

IsMiseSean
30/10/2007, 10:44 AM
With all this talk of a British olympic team taking part in 2012
Just wondering has an Ireland team ever taken part in the olympics?
I never hear anything about qualifying, is there even a qualifying campaign?
What is the maximun age of players?

Anyone know the answers and has any other useful information? :confused:

paul_oshea
30/10/2007, 10:45 AM
its 23 isnt it? the max age?

Torn-Ado
30/10/2007, 11:06 AM
Dont you have to qualify for the U-21's European championship to get through to the Olympics?

I might be wrong. And I think it U-23 with three older players allowed.

Dodge
30/10/2007, 11:21 AM
We've tried to qualify muplitple times. Since 1992 the qualification has been through the UEFA Under 21 championship. In 1988 it was a League of Ireland side. In other years it was a purely amateur side.

In the finals its under 23 with a max of 3 over age players

Metrostars
30/10/2007, 11:24 AM
Dont you have to qualify for the U-21's European championship to get through to the Olympics?

I might be wrong. And I think it U-23 with three older players allowed.

You're right. For 2008, the top 4 teams of the U-21 Euros get in: Netherlands, Serbia, Belgium, Italy

gspain
30/10/2007, 1:32 PM
We played in the Olympics twice.

1924 beat Bulgaria and lost to Holland AET in the quarter finals both at Stade Colombes

1948 lost to Holland in the preliminary round at Fratton Park.

We have tried and failed to qualify on a number of occasions since dating back to at least 1960. This ironically includes home and away defeats by Great Britain in the 1960 and 1968 qualifiers.

Superhoops
30/10/2007, 1:36 PM

1924 beat Bulgaria and lost to Holland AET in the quarter finals both at Stade Colombes

We have tried and failed to qualify on a number of occasions since dating back to at least 1960. This ironically includes home and away defeats by Great Britain in the 1960 and 1968 qualifiers.

Gary, was that your first away trip????? :D

pateen
30/10/2007, 2:10 PM
Yeah well with a class manager like Don Givens what do you expect

:mad::mad:

gspain
30/10/2007, 2:42 PM
Gary, was that your first away trip????? :D

Nah waiting for the semi final. part-timer in those days. :D

shaneker
30/10/2007, 11:21 PM

I remember a cracking article about this in the Ireland v Germany unofficial match programme at WC 02, think it was called 'The Real First Time'. Can't lay my hands on it these days but maybe someone else has it?

theworm2345
31/10/2007, 12:07 AM
I heard Ronaldinho wants to win a gold medal, so I think he's going to be on the Brazilian Olympic time next time around

shaneker
01/11/2007, 12:37 AM
Managed to dig out the old match programme and thought it would be of interest for people to read the article. Brings a bit of a tear to your eye to think of our footballing Olympians. Great stuff.

The Real First Time

Ireland’s first appearance in the finals of a major football tournament, a shock 1-0 win for starters on a glorious summer Sunday afternoon only to be cruelly robbed of a semi final place by the Dutch. We walked tall all week. Our hearts burned with pride. I rang home to discover my late grandmother had watched the first football game of her life. She had cried her eyes out. Fourteen years on it still means a lot. 13,000 of us were there, tens of thousands more claim to have been there yet we all lie. My grandmother may well have cried her eyes out when Ireland won the opening game of their first major football tournament but it would have been pure coincidence because she was just out of nappies. There weren’t 13,000 fans baying for the final whistle (84 minutes early). There weren’t millions more screaming at TV sets. 500,000 did not line the streets to welcome home our heroes. Only 500 people squeezed into the Stade de Colombes. The nation didn’t find out for hours. The heroes are surely long dead and sadly long forgotten. Euro 88 was a great adventure but the team that went to the Olympic Games of 1924 were surely the real pioneers of Irish football. The football tournament was played a couple of months before the real games and is now considered to be the world’s first major International tournament. It was a forerunner to the World Cup 6 years later. Jules Rimet was the organiser. 22 nations took part including Uruguay, U.S.A., Egypt, Turkey and Estonia. Uruguay emerged triumphant but only Ireland from these islands participated. A 1-0 victory over Bulgaria was followed by a 2-1 defeat by Holland in extra time.

Only 16 of the 22 man squad actually made the 2 day overland journey to Paris along with trainer Charlie Harris. The fledgling Irish Free State was just recovering from a Civil war and this was the first time that the new Irish tricolour was raised at a sporting occasion. We played in blue shirts. Paddy Duncan of St James’s Gate scored the only goal to defeat Bulgaria while a Frank Ghent equaliser was not enough to deny Holland who survived a ropey second half to steal it in extra time. Frank Ghent was not actually selected for the Bulgaria game but his inclusion meant that 5 of the cup winning Athlone Town side represented Ireland in the quarter finals. Surely we’ll never see that again. Contemporary reports mention that the Irish and Dutch partied together long into the night. If it was half as good as memorable nights in Gelsenkirchen, Palermo, Liverpool, Dublin and Orlando then it must have been quite a party.

These games are now classed as amateur Internationals by the F.A.I. They were certainly listed as full Internationals up until at least the early 1940’s when Thomas P Walsh published the first history of Irish football. The 1924 tournament does however merit a few paragraphs in Peter Byrne’s excellent history of the F.A.I. The 75th anniversary of this tournament passed by unremarked.

backstothewall
04/11/2007, 1:21 PM
Who is responsible for running football in the olympics?? Is it FIFA or the IOC.

It could be used to put a new spin on the Gibson row if the IOC. Wayne McCullough was Irish enough for the IOC, and he's from the Shankill.

Dodge
05/11/2007, 9:38 AM
Who is responsible for running football in the olympics?? Is it FIFA or the IOC.
Its FIFA.

It could be used to put a new spin on the Gibson row if the IOC. Wayne McCullough was Irish enough for the IOC, and he's from the Shankill.
He was Irish enough for the AIBA (Amateur boxing's FIFA) and either football is the only sport that splits Ireland. Athletes/Swimmers/Rowers etc etc are free to represent either Ireland or Britain.

Deckydee
08/08/2008, 6:25 AM
Question: Do we have one?

If we do, how are the players picked and if we dont, why not? :)

Thanks

gufcfan
08/08/2008, 7:05 AM
We don't have one.

Don't know why.

Hibs4Ever
08/08/2008, 7:09 AM
Are they not planning on using the U23 team for this from now on?

eirebhoy
08/08/2008, 7:18 AM
Teams qualify through the U21s.

http://www.fifa.com/mensolympic/preliminaries/preliminary=250358/index.html

gspain
08/08/2008, 7:38 AM
Search this forum - at least 2 threads on this.

We do have one. We didn't qualify. Plenty of details in the other threads.

gufcfan
08/08/2008, 7:40 AM
It says here that Engerlund were ineligible to compete in the Olympics.

Wonder why that is?

topia
08/08/2008, 8:22 AM
because they compete as great britain i assume

gufcfan
08/08/2008, 8:40 AM
because they compete as great britain i assume

D'oh!

Dodge
08/08/2008, 9:16 AM
Locking this thread. As gspain said there are other threads about this.

To confirm, qualification for European teams is through the European Under 21 championships since 1992, and Ireland haven't qualified.

In the 1924 Olympics we beat Bulgaria 1-0, before losing to Holland 2-1 in the quarter finals.

In 1948 Holland beat us in the preliminery round

Dodge
09/01/2010, 11:41 AM
Merged a couple of threads.

Remember a thread (but can't find it) about NI players and the Ireland and GB teams

In 1948, Ireland were represented (lost prelim rd). Kevin McAlindan (who played with Belfast Celtic) was the GB goalkeeper. Several other NI players have played for the GB side (last in 1960). No GB side has entered since 1972 (and no Ireland team since that 1948 games)

twoenz
09/01/2010, 6:21 PM
I think it's a shame that UEFA treats the Olympic tournament with such disdain. From a practical point of view it allows outlaying areas of olympic countries a chance to see some of the action instead of the host City, and it would allow smaller countries to have a chance of something.

But, with Don Givens in charge we've no chance of getting their at all. Suppose Darron Gibson would be eligible to play...

backstothewall
09/01/2010, 9:56 PM
Assuming FIFA and the IOC are happy for football associations to combine their sides to compete as the nations that make up the IOC, David Healy should be Irish enough to compete on an Ireland Olympic team. All he needs to do is apply for a passport. We have an 'Ireland' Olympic team, not a 'Republic of Ireland' olympic team. If players capped by the 4 UK associations can compete in one UK team, why shouldn't players capped by the 2 Irish associations be allowed to compete in an Ireland team?

It could also get round the Givens issue by asking Martin O'Neill or one of the many good Northern managers to take charge.

holidaysong
10/01/2010, 11:02 PM
We'd still need to qualify though.

Dodge
14/04/2011, 10:39 AM
Bringing back this thread, just to show how rugby is treatig it. Now I realise that the IRFU has sole responsibility as opposed to the IFA/FAI split but interesting none the less.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2011/0414/1224294668557.html

Oh and you might be aware of the growing calls for a 'united' GB team in the 2012 football olympics. So far the IFA, FAW and SFA have all said they don't want to be a part of it.

peadar1987
14/04/2011, 10:53 AM
Surely GB would qualify as hosts though. It would be difficult to get an all-Ireland team there, as qualification would have to be done as two separate associations. I can't imagine the U23 lads who got ROI or the North through to the last 4 of the U21 championships would be too thrilled to have to give up their place to someone from the other association.

DannyInvincible
14/04/2011, 11:04 AM
I don't seek to open up a 90-page can of worms here, how does one qualify for an Olympic team anyway?

Also, it's highly unlikely that FIFA would permit an all-Ireland team under any circumstance given that there is no all-island political entity at present, even if it was a once-off for the Olympics.

Dodge
14/04/2011, 11:25 AM
Surely GB would qualify as hosts though

They do. The problem is they don't have a GB team...

Also, it's highly unlikely that FIFA would permit an all-Ireland team under any circumstance given that there is no all-island political entity at present, even if it was a once-off for the Olympics.

Each sport has there own eligibility rules. It wouldn't be an all Ireland team qualifying for the Olympics, it would be Ireland. The only sport that Ireland doesn't call itself that is football, but same flag, same nation. The FAI is affiliated to the Olympic Council of Ireland. If the ROI u21 team qualified for the Olympics, the team would be made up solely of ROI footballers

In boxing, Ireland is represented by all 32 countie (And in fact, Northern Ireland is represented by 9 county Ulster - See Monagahan's Barry McGuigan etc)

In sports like Athletics/Swimming/Cycling/Rowing athletes have the right to represent either GB or Ireland. Wendy Houvenaghel won silver in Cycling for GB. A NI rowing club had one athlete represent Ireland and one represent GB.

NI hockey players regularly represent Ireland in non Olympic tournaments but have, in the past, represented GB in the Olympics. Hockey would have a similar structure to Rugby in terms of world and european tournaments (Ireland, England, Scotland, Wales). Ireland has never qualified for the Olympics in hockey, but presumably they could represent either.

Yard of Pace
14/04/2011, 11:43 AM
Not the right thread for it at all really, but seeing as Spain have turned down the invite to the Copa America and seeing as last year we begged to be allowed play in the World Cup......
It runs from July 1-24 in Argentina and the group would be the hosts, Bolivia and Colombia. Would be a lot of fun...

DannyInvincible
14/04/2011, 12:23 PM
Japan have now decided to take up their invite after initially turning it down due to the earthquake/tsunami, so they play in that group instead: http://www.dawn.com/2011/04/14/japan-to-play-copa-america-in-show-of-resilience.html