PDA

View Full Version : PC problem

Ruairi
09/09/2003, 2:31 PM
A problem with the pc at home:

I was pulling out the computer from the desk last night so I could unattach the microphone i had connected to it. in doing so I have a sneaking suspicion i may have toggled the switch at the back which changes the voltage from 230v to 115v, only for about a second though. There was a spark and everything went dead.
So have I totally fried the whole computer or do i just need to change the power supply?

Estar
09/09/2003, 7:25 PM
Does your PSU fan start?, If not you need a new one I think, around €30.

Check for faulty power cable and socket (which I'm sure you have done).

Cityace
10/09/2003, 4:35 PM
If the sparks were in the computer you probably have blown the fuse inside the computer .get it checked out and DONT try turning it on until you do.You can really damage it.

Ruairi
13/09/2003, 2:39 PM
I got a quote, the power supply needs to be replaced and it'll cost €130. Which is a pain in the arse really.

patsh
13/09/2003, 3:00 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
I got a quote, the power supply needs to be replaced and it'll cost €130. Which is a pain in the arse really.
Have a look at this company, Ruairi.
http://www.elara.ie/index.htm
You might get it cheaper from them.

kdjaC
13/09/2003, 3:45 PM
LOL 130 for a PSU.

As above Elara are cheap enough ,even PC World are cheaper than 130.

Its an easy job only 5 screws to open then remove the old one and replace.

Ps make sure you have box plugged out when you do this.
You wont get instructions with a brown box PSU.

kdjac

dahamsta
13/09/2003, 4:58 PM
Originally posted by kdjaC
Its an easy job only 5 screws to open then remove the old one and replace.My Gateway has a green clip that slides aside. Took me all of a couple of minutes to open the case, unhook the PSU, slide it out, slide in the new one, hook it up and close the case. Tell them to shove it up their hole Ruairi.

adam

Ruairi
13/09/2003, 5:14 PM
the €130 was a quote from a PC repair gaff in town, and that was for parts and labour. i wouldn't fancy doing it myself cause I'd probably feck the whole thing up. I'm gonna bring it back to the guy who built the PC for me so he'll do it for the cost of just the PSU.