PDA

View Full Version : Rant about the attiude to eL fans

Éanna
08/09/2003, 9:31 PM
I'm really annoyed at the condescending attitude of the announcer at Landsdowne to us. The stupid "oh look at the eircom League fans, give them a nice clap now and make them smile" attitude. They're treating us like the slow cousin in the corner who grins moronically when people pat him on the head. Its condescending and disrespectful. What he should be saying is something along the lines of: "You can see the flag display by the eircom league fans, a list of forthcoming fixtures is available in your match programme (which it should be). Go along and see a game." Why the fcuk are we being treated with this awful positive discrimination attitude, making us look like a shower of thicks? Its really ****ing me off

ger121
08/09/2003, 9:38 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
What he should be saying is something along the lines of: "You can see the flag display by the eircom league fans, a list of forthcoming fixtures is available in your match programme (which it should be). Go along and see a game." Why the fcuk are we being treated with this awful positive discrimination attitude, making us look like a shower of thicks? Its really ****ing me off

Good point, why don't they do that at games. After all the FAI is suppose to be promoting the el. Another thing they could do is have an article about the el in every match programme. It's the only way the barstool brigade might get to see something about the domestic game. Maybe it might even get them along to a match but I doubt it.

Colm
08/09/2003, 9:57 PM
I was also told before the game by one of the Rovers fans that they had asked us to parade our flags on the pitch at half-time, do they think we're a ****ing circus act or what?! Needless to say this invitation was quickly turned down.

soccerc
08/09/2003, 9:58 PM
I'm really annoyed at the condescending attitude of the announcer at Landsdowne to us. The stupid "oh look at the eircom League fans, give them a nice clap now and make them smile" attitude. They're treating us like the slow cousin in the corner who grins moronically when people pat him on the head. Its condescending and disrespectful. What he should be saying is something along the lines of: "You can see the flag display by the eircom league fans, a list of forthcoming fixtures is available in your match programme (which it should be). Go along and see a game." Why the fcuk are we being treated with this awful positive discrimination attitude, making us look like a shower of thicks? Its really ****ing me off

Éanna,

Fair play to the announcer Declan King for going out of his way to give a good mention to the el fans. It was not condescending in my opinion. Each club represented was mentioned along with reference to displays and atmosphere at club games. He pointedly played PRIDE by U2.

What really annoys me is that very few people ever put forth their ideas ahead of games rather they wait to attack from the long grass after the event.

Éanna
08/09/2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by soccerc
Éanna,

Fair play to the announcer Declan King for going out of his way to give a good mention to the el fans. It was not condescending in my opinion. Each club represented was mentioned along with reference to displays and atmosphere at club games. He pointedly played PRIDE by U2.

What really annoys me is that very few people ever put forth their ideas ahead of games rather they wait to attack from the long grass after the event.
I know what you're saying. (Presuming this is JB) I was intending to email you about this, still will do. I was just throwing it out to gauge reactions as well. I'm not trying to be ungrateful or anything, I do appreciate what Fran Rooney is doing, having an eL allocation is good, its a start and an improvement, but to be totally blunt about it- the FAI has a long way to go before I start thinking of forgiving them for the way they have treated this league, never mind saying good things about them. I'm greeting everything the FAI is doing now with an "about time" as opposed to welcoming it to be honest. They have a lot to do, but they're going the right way.

pete
09/09/2003, 10:49 AM
The irish international programme always has an article about the eL.

I remain unconvinced this will be a long term FAI policy. When the eL supporters get their own ticket allocation as opposed to foreign handmebacks then progress will be made.

pineapple stu
09/09/2003, 1:59 PM
Originally posted by pete
The irish international programme always has an article about the eL.

I remain unconvinced this will be a long term FAI policy. When the eL supporters get their own ticket allocation as opposed to foreign handmebacks then progress will be made.

As far as I know, the idea is that we will get our own allocation from the next qualifying series? All other tickets sold out for this one when the idea came to fruition, so had to make do with returns.

The programme does have an article on the eL - in this case, a particularly waffly one which revealed very little about the licencing scheme but maintained that it would automatically put eL clubs on a par with the rest of Europe - but there should at least be league tables, a round-up and, most importantly of all, a list of upcoming fixtures. It's a perfect chance to get some free advertising for the league to 30,000 people, and yet the FAI pass it up.

Has anybody got an e-mail address for the programme, or is it just a blanket FAI address? Must point it out to them seeing as how we're sitting here complaining about how people say things but then don't do anything on foot of it.

tiktok
09/09/2003, 5:45 PM
i know where you're coming from on this one Eanna but at the moment i'd take any highlighting we get. There are probably p.r. / business suits there who think we're away fans. It's better that the information gets across that the colour and noise in that section is due to the EL fans.
George Hamilton made a comment about the colour the EL fans bring on the TV too, and to be fair it wasn't condescending.
The more people that are drawn into this, and the louder / more colourful / more organised it becomes, the better it will be for us all in the long run and the longer the scheme will continue.

Éanna
09/09/2003, 9:13 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
i know where you're coming from on this one Eanna but at the moment i'd take any highlighting we get.
I know that, its fair enough, and it is an improvement,but there's no point in being happy with what you have, cos you'll never get any further!

tiktok
09/09/2003, 10:18 PM
I know that, its fair enough, and it is an improvement,but there's no point in being happy with what you have, cos you'll never get any further!

i agree completely with that, but as mentioned above, we're only getting unwanted away's at the moment, it's not really until the WC qualifiers that we'll see how seriously the FAI are treating this effort. i know that's well into the future, but we'll have to judge it then, not now unfortuneately. for the time being, all you can do is keep the current good work going, and make it a venture they will want to maintain, then we can build on it.