PDA

View Full Version : The 2008 Olympics Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Dodge
06/08/2008, 9:55 AM
Following on from the pre Olympic thread here (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=84501), we can keep all actual games talk here

The final Irish team

Athletics:
Paul Hession (100/200m),
David Gillick (400m),
Thomas Chamney (800m)
Alistair Cragg (1500/5000m),
Martin Fagan (Marathon),
Jamie Costin (20K Walk),
Robert Heffernan (20K walk),
Colin Griffin (50K walk),

Joanne Cuddihy (400m),
Derval O'Rourke (100mH).
Pauline Curley (Marathon)
Michelle Carey (400mH)
Roisin McGettigan (3000m steeplechase),
Fionnuala Britton (3000 steeplechase),
Olive Loughnane (20K walk),
Eileen O'Keeffe (Hammer),

Badminton:
Scott Evans (singles),
Chloe Magee (singles)

Boxing:
Paddy Barnes (light-fly),
Kenny Egan (light-heavyweight),
John Joe Joyce (light-welterweight),
John Joe Nevin (bantam),
Darren Sutherland (middleweight)

Canoeing:
Eoin Rheinisch (mens slalom)

Cycling:
Nicholas Roche (Road Race),
Philip Deignan (Road Race),

David O'Loughlin (Individual Pursuit),

Robin Seymour (Mountain Bike).

Equestrian:
Denis Lynch (Show Jumping),

Austin O'Connor (Eventing, Team & Individual),
Geoff Curran (Eventing, Team & Individual),
Patricia Curran (Eventing, Team & Individual),
Louise Lyons (Eventing, Team & Individual),
Niall Griffin (Eventing, Team & Individual),

Fencing:
Siobhan Byrne (Sabre)

Rowing:
Sean O'Neill (coxless fours),
Jonno Devlin (coxless fours),
Sean Casey (coxless fours),
Cormac Folan (coxless fours),

Paul Griffin (lightweight fours),
Richard Archibald (lightweight fours),
Gearoid Towey (lightweight fours),
Cathal Moynihan (lightweight fours)

Sailing:
Ciara Peelo (Laser Radial),

Tim Goodbody (Finn),

Gerard Owens (470),
Philip Lawton (470),

Peter O'Leary (Star),
Stephen Milne (Star)

Shooting:
Derek Burnett (Trap)

Swimming:
Andrew Bree (100m, 200m breaststroke),
Melanie Nocher (200m backstroke),
Aisling Cooney (100m backstroke)

Triathlon:
Emma Davis

beautifulrock
06/08/2008, 10:26 AM
What would be a decent medal "haul" for us. Indeed do we really expect to win any? Horses, boats and fists perhaps but certainly nothing in the the track or field.

Dodge
06/08/2008, 10:36 AM
1 is decent. We usually get nothing. SInce 1956 we've won

1960 - none
1964 - one bronze
1968 - one bronze
1972 - none
1976 - none
1980 - one silver, one bronze (with no Americans etc)
1984 - one silver (with no eastern bloc countries)
1988 - none (with no Cubans in the boxing)
1992 - one gold, one silver
1996 - Michelle Smith's 3 gold and a bronze
2000 - one silver
2004 - none

None of our competitors would be favourites to medal. Those with shot include Heffernan in the walk (6th in world championship), O'Keeffe in hammer (6th in worlds), O'Loughlin in the pursuit (6th in worlds at first attempt), Lynch in Showjumping (ranked top 10), Lightweight 4s (a couple of top 3 finishes in wolrd cup), Burnett in shooting (has won world cup events, and medalled at world championships).

Egan, Sutherland and Nevin have fighters chances if the draw goes there way. Egan being my tip for a medal (provided he avoids Russian and Cuban in draw)

centre mid
06/08/2008, 11:14 AM
Apparently the Irish boxers arent too happy with the training arrangements, have to travel an inordinate distance each day to train so have had to make alternative arrangements

Here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2008/0806/boxing.html)

beautifulrock
06/08/2008, 2:31 PM
Apparently the Irish boxers arent too happy with the training arrangements, have to travel an inordinate distance each day to train so have had to make alternative arrangements

Here (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2008/0806/boxing.html)

oh no, just checked and they are no Cork boxers so at least we wont have a walk out, phew :)

redtildead
06/08/2008, 3:15 PM
Heard on the radio that our own Don O'Riordan is coaching the Chinese womens Olympic team:D

superfrank
06/08/2008, 3:25 PM
Football starts tomorrow. I'm backing Argentina for it once again.

paudie
06/08/2008, 9:40 PM
Heard on the radio that our own Don O'Riordan is coaching the Chinese womens Olympic team:D

Think they won their first game, beating Sweden

Dodge
06/08/2008, 9:43 PM

He's on the coaching staff. He's not the main coach

paudie
06/08/2008, 9:45 PM
For once there seem to be a few Irish competitors on the first day, ie starting early Saturday morning our time. Taken from the Tribune Olympics supplement.

Derek Burnett - Shooting Qualifiers
Mens heavyweight 4's- Rowing heats
Boxing - Ken Egan - Light Heavy & Darren Sutherland - middleweight
Cycling - road Race - Nicholas Roche, Philip Deignan

paudie
06/08/2008, 9:48 PM
I think Derval O'Rourke was unable to train for 5 days in the last couple of weeks. Not great preparation. She'll struggle to get out of the heats.

Eileen O'keeffe also a dodgy enough knee injury. Shame as she has a decent chance of getting to the final and this may prevent her.

Dodge
06/08/2008, 9:49 PM
I think Derval O'Rourke was unable to train for 5 days in the last couple of weeks. Not great preparation. She'll struggle to get out of the heats

She'll easily get out of the heats. How she does after that is down to form and fitness though

DmanDmythDledge
06/08/2008, 10:38 PM
For once there seem to be a few Irish competitors on the first day, ie starting early Saturday morning our time. Taken from the Tribune Olympics supplement.

Derek Burnett - Shooting Qualifiers
Mens heavyweight 4's- Rowing heats
Boxing - Ken Egan - Light Heavy & Darren Sutherland - middleweight
Cycling - road Race - Nicholas Roche, Philip Deignan
Scott Evans and Chloe Magee are also playing on opening day. Scott is playing at 3.45am Irish time and Chloe is playing around lunchtime.

harpskid
06/08/2008, 11:55 PM
Scott Evans and Chloe Magee are also playing on opening day. Scott is playing at 3.45am Irish time and Chloe is playing around lunchtime.

Think it's 11.45am Irish time.

Dodge
07/08/2008, 12:47 PM
Some News from the draws;

Fencing
Siobhan Byrne (ranked 35th) faces a Polish fencer (ranked 30th) in the first round. 39 competitors in her event. Apparently her and her coach are delighted with the draw. Getting past first round would be a good result

Rowing
Tough draws for both Irish crews. The Lightweight 4s are in a heat with France (2nd in worlds 2007), Germany (won continental qualifier (ahead of Ireland recently) and Poland (8th 2007 worlds).
Ireland won bronze in 2006 worlds behind China and France. Britain won 2007 gold, Italy Bronze. In Munich World Cup, Ireland finished 5th behind China, GB, Germany, France. IN Lucerne, Ireland finished 6th behind China, Denmark, France, Germany and Britain.

The "Heavy" 4s are up against Germany (3rd in worlds 2007), France (2nd in worlds 2007), Australia (Continental qualifier).
Ireland had its best result in 20 odd years at heavyweight with a tenth place in the 2007 worlds. It has stayed around that mark this year. A final place looks unlikely

Top 3 go into semis, 4th place goes into reperchage. 13 boats in total, 6 make the final.

Badminton
Scott Evans faces Marc Zwiebler of Germany in first round (last 64) at 3.45am (Irish time) on saturday
Chloe Magee faces Kati Tolmoff of Estonia in first round (last 64) at 10.50am (Irish time) on saturday
Both Irish players are ranked below their opponents

pineapple stu
07/08/2008, 12:56 PM
Beijing is what - seven hours ahead? So we're looking at starting around 2am and going on till 2pm our time?

What happened our equestrian team this time out? Politics as usual?

Dodge
07/08/2008, 1:05 PM
Beijing is what - seven hours ahead? So we're looking at starting around 2am and going on till 2pm our time?
From 3am most days

What happened our equestrian team this time out? Politics as usual?
If you're talking about showjumping; we didn't qualify. Ballsed up at the world and euros (Riders retiring hurt us). Denis Lynch is in the individual

We have a full team in the 3 day eventing

pineapple stu
07/08/2008, 1:06 PM
Didn't qualify? Wow. Can never understand how we can do so badly in Olympic showjumping and yet appear to do so well elsewhere, especially with our horsey (admittedly more horse-racing) pedigree.

Dodge
07/08/2008, 1:12 PM
Didn't qualify? Wow. Can never understand how we can do so badly in Olympic showjumping and yet appear to do so well elsewhere
We've won 2 world championship medals ever. People overestimate how good we are because by and large all we get to see on TV are the RDS show, and the odd British show.

Torn-Ado
07/08/2008, 1:52 PM
I wonder are rte.ie showing much of the Irish participation in the olympics. If they are, then its proxy server time. Burnett in the shooting did well last time out in Athens hopefully he'll go one better.

bennocelt
07/08/2008, 2:10 PM
From 3am most days

If you're talking about showjumping; we didn't qualify. Ballsed up at the world and euros (Riders retiring hurt us). Denis Lynch is in the individual

We have a full team in the 3 day eventing

reading in the INDo today that he is on a very expensive horse, the Arabs wanted to buy it for 5.5 million........wow

Dodge
07/08/2008, 2:11 PM
I wonder are rte.ie showing much of the Irish participation in the olympics. If they are, then its proxy server time. Burnett in the shooting did well last time out in Athens hopefully he'll go one better.

RTE are promising to stream 4/5 similtaneous events via rte.ie and have stated that every minute of Irish action will be covered live (Somehow, with the sailing, I doubt it)

DmanDmythDledge
07/08/2008, 2:42 PM
Badminton
Scott Evans faces Marc Zwiebler of Germany in first round (last 64) at 3.45am (Irish time) on saturday
Chloe Magee faces Kati Tolmoff of Estonia in first round (last 64) at 10.50am (Irish time) on saturday
Both Irish players are ranked below their opponents
Zwiebler is ranked 24 in the world, Scott 47. Not quite the mismatch it appears to be, however. Scott's ranking has suffered recently as he was unable to defend ranking points won last year due to injury. He would probably be around mid 30s if he had been able to compete.

He has played Zwiebler once before, last December at the Irish International Championships. The score was 21-15, 21-17 in ze Germans favour. I expect another close game but unfortunately don't think Scott will get through.

Tolmoff ranked 46, Magee 77. They have played twice previously, with Talmoff winning on both occasions. In Oct 2006 Talmoff won 21-11, 21-16 and in Jan 07 Talmoff won 21-12, 21-14. The gap between the players has narrowed since then but I think it is a step too far. Magee's preparation for the Olympics has been quite good, reaching the final of the US Open Grand Prix, beating the world no. 53 on her way to the final.

Scott's game will be live on RTÉ but Chloe's will not be shown.
http://www.badmintonireland.com/content/templates/news.aspx?articleid=901&zoneid=37

Aberdonian Stu
07/08/2008, 3:25 PM
RTE are promising to stream 4/5 similtaneous events via rte.ie

ARGH! And I haven't got a reliable broadband connection. Really want to follow the basketball competition, if it's a sport you're in to this year's comp promises to be great.

Dodge
07/08/2008, 3:30 PM
ARGH! And I haven't got a reliable broadband connection. Really want to follow the basketball competition, if it's a sport you're in to this year's comp promises to be great.

I am, and I agree. One of my abiding memories of the event 4 years ago si the RTE's commentator's pronunciation of Manu Ginobilli (with the strongest Cork accent I've heard on TV). Obviously I'm looking for the US to be upset again.

superfrank
07/08/2008, 5:06 PM
Do you have a link for the stream, Dodge?

pete
07/08/2008, 5:20 PM
I remember the sailors were criticised 4 years ago by Hickey & I think he had some valid points. I may be wrong but seem to remember they near the rear of their fields.

The 3 day eventers should be doing better too as I would imagine relatively expensive to fly the horses there & keeping them in participation.

Dodge
07/08/2008, 5:35 PM
The 3 day eventers should be doing better too as I would imagine relatively expensive to fly the horses there & keeping them in participation.

Strange logic. Surely its expensive for all the other countries too, so they should do better too? BTW the horsey bits are in Hong Kong this year

Pauro 76
07/08/2008, 8:14 PM
Question for ye, was just raeding Metro or some paper the other day. they had a picture of the Swiss Olympic team for something. they said it was only their third Olympic team? is this true?

Dodge
07/08/2008, 9:44 PM
Question for ye, was just raeding Metro or some paper the other day. they had a picture of the Swiss Olympic team for something. they said it was only their third Olympic team? is this true?

Nope. Maybe its their third time in a particulur sport.

They've won 174 medals in the summer games

sligoman
08/08/2008, 1:43 AM
Is there a list anywhere of when the Irish people are competing...in any sport?

Dodge
08/08/2008, 1:50 AM
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56724153&postcount=9

Great spreadsheet downloadble there...

Dodge
08/08/2008, 2:15 AM
Do you have a link for the stream, Dodge?

Here's the press release (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2008/0729/rte.html)

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics2008/player.html

Player above

shedite
08/08/2008, 8:57 AM
Friend of mine was at the Atlanta Olympics and brought me back a towel with the following quote on it. Feckin love it...

"In the Olympics, we don't just see athletes at their best, we see humanity at it's best"

Dodge
08/08/2008, 9:04 AM
Irish boxers should be relatively happy with their draw for the Olympics. Here's their path to medals

Light Fly
Barnes will fight Meza of Ecuador in last 16. If he wins his last 8 fiight will be against Namibia/Poland/sierra Leone. Hopefully he'll then fight gold medal favourite Shiming Zou in the semis

Bantam
Nevin will fight Ourradi of Algeria. Then the winner of Mongolia/Mexico in the last 16. Hopefully setting up a quarter final with the winner of Australia/Botswana/Colombia/Morocco. A pretty tough draw

Light Welter
Joyce wil fight Kate of Hungary in first round. Then the winner of Domincan Republic/Armenia. Hopefully setting up a QF with the winner of Iran/Tunisia/Romania/Puerto Rico

Middle
Sutherland received bye in first round. In last 16 he'll fight Nabil Kessel. Then hopefully he'll fight the winner of Domincan Republic and Venzuala for a medal. Blanco of Venezuala beat Sutherland in the last 16 of the 2007 worlds. Tough draw

Light Heavy
Egan will fight Julius Jackson of the Virgin Isles (He beat him at the 2007 worlds). Hopefully fighting the winner of Turkey/Kenya in last 16. IN the last 8 he'll fight the winner of haiti/Brazil/Ghana/Nigeria

Dodge
08/08/2008, 9:30 AM
Egan has a real chance.

He's beaten Julius jackson before (RSC). The turkish fighter got in when Ismayl Silakh of Ukraine was kicked out. Aziz Ali made it through at the final African qualifier. All 4 possible oppenents in the QF made it through at the last continental qualifier (bar the Brazilian who made it through in the first contintental) None have medalled at major events before (although the haitian won the 2008 Golden Gloves). The Ghanain is new to the weight having stepped up from Middleweight

pineapple stu
08/08/2008, 9:40 AM
Who was the Limerick boxer at the last Olympics? Had big hopes, think he got past one round and then got eliminated after a tie or something? Is he back this time? Might well be imagining stuff though.

(I'm sure I could use google, but Dodge seems quicker. :) )

Dodge
08/08/2008, 9:54 AM
Apart from Egan...
Barnes's draw is tougher than I thought. Meza is another relative newcomer. He easily won the 1st Americas qualifier though. If he gets through that I'd expect him to fight the Namibian commonwealth champion (2005) Jafet Uutoni. If not he could face the Swaziland fighter who beat Barnes at the 2006 commonwealth games (although no dount that Barnes has come on since the)

Joyce was beaten 32-17 by Kate in the 2007 Worlds. He's an expereinced fighter having won bronze at 2003 worlds and 2004 & 2006 europeans. If he gets through that he wouldn't fear any of the boxers in his path.
Nevin's draw is very tough. Oradi won the 1st African qualifer. IF he gets through that he'll probably fight the World Silver medallist Badar-Uugan from Mongolia. IF he gets through that, he'd be favourite to medal (unlikely though) in the QF.
Sutherland should beat Kessel (who finished 3rd in the first African qualifier). After that he's likely to face Blanco. Blanco beat Sutherland 20-13 in the last 16 of the 2007 Worlds and went on to win Silver. He also beat James Degale of England, who Sutherland has had a few figths with. Blanco would be a strong favourite

Dodge
08/08/2008, 9:54 AM
Who was the Limerick boxer at the last Olympics? Had big hopes, think he got past one round and then got eliminated after a tie or something? Is he back this time? Might well be imagining stuff though.

(I'm sure I could use google, but Dodge seems quicker. :) )

Andy Lee, now doing the professional thing. lost on countback to a Cameroon fighter

shakermaker1982
08/08/2008, 10:10 AM
Looking forward to the boxing I must say. A medal from any of the boxers would be a fantastic achievement for the amateur boxing set up. It's a fantastic achievement that they have 5 qualifiers - extremely tough to get there in the first place.

Dodge
08/08/2008, 10:21 AM
Confirmed Irish Fighters times

Saturday 9th
8.30am (Irish time) KEn Egan v Julius Jackson (Virgin Isles)

Sunday 10th
7.30am John Joe Joyce v Gyula Kate (Hungary)

Tuesday 12th
2.15pm John Joe Nevin v Abdelhalim Ourradi (Algeria)

Barnes and Sutherland received byes. Their times TBC

pete
08/08/2008, 10:32 AM
UK boxer fails to make weigh (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/boxing/7546521.stm)

How disappointing would it be to prepare & fail before the Olympics even start.

Torn-Ado
08/08/2008, 11:25 AM
UK boxer fails to make weigh (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/olympics/boxing/7546521.stm)

How disappointing would it be to prepare & fail before the Olympics even start.

He was a shoe in for a medal too.

Dodge
08/08/2008, 12:00 PM
OK folks here's your irish competitors and their (Irish) times for the first day.

SATURDAY
10.30pm (Fri) - 1.55am Irish team and individuals (O'Connor, Curran, Ryan, Lyons, Griffin) 3 Day eventing Dressage

2.00-6.30 am Derek Burnett Shooting Men's Trap Qualifying

3.00am - Siobhan Byrne v Irena Weickowska (Poland) Fencing Women's Individual Sabre Round of 64

3.45 am - Scott Evans v Marc Zwiebler (GER) Badminton Men's Singles Round of 64

4.00-10.15am - Nicolas Roche, Philip Deignan Cycling Men's Road race

6.00am-12pm - Tim Goodbody Sailing Heavy Weight Dinghy-Finn Race 1 & 2

8.30am - Ken Egan v Julius jackson (US Virgin Isles) Boxing Light Heavy weight Round of 32

10.30-11am - Ireland (O'Neill, Devlin, Csey, Folan) Rowing Men's Four Heat

10.50am - Chloe Magee v Kati Tolmoff (EST) Badminton Women's Singles Round of 64

12.15-3.40pm - Irish team and individuals 3 Day eventing Dressage

1.45pm - Andrew Bree (Heat 5) Swimming Men's 100m breaststroke

kingdom hoop
08/08/2008, 12:20 PM
Great Dodge, thanks. If following the Olympics was an Olympic event you'd win the gold medal. :)

DmanDmythDledge
08/08/2008, 12:52 PM
OK folks here's your irish competitors and their (Irish) times for the first day.

SATURDAY
2.45 am - Scott Evans v Marc Zwiebler (GER) Badminton Men's Singles Round of 64

Evans is playing at 3.45am. Won't be shown on RTÉ until 5am.

bennocelt
08/08/2008, 4:11 PM
Jesus cheers Dodge:)

is the cycling tomorrow a time trial or a race?

Torn-Ado
08/08/2008, 5:12 PM
I've downloadednot one but two, proxy servers in an attempt to hide my IP address so I can somehow get to watch RTE.ie coverage of the Irish competitiors in action.

Nothing. P!ssing into the wind as usual.

Dodge
08/08/2008, 6:01 PM
Jesus cheers Dodge:)

is the cycling tomorrow a time trial or a race?

Road race. No Irish in the time trial

paudie
08/08/2008, 10:23 PM
Maybe this should be in PreOlympic thread but here goes.

Sports Illustrated have predicted all the medal winners in the Olympics. Only Paddy Barnes picked from Ireland.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/olympics/2008/writers/brian_cazeneuve/07/29/medal.picks0804/index.html