PDA

View Full Version : GUFC 0 Derry City 2

geezer
04/08/2008, 9:25 PM
Well it was well worth the entrance fee thats for sure, great performance should have had a peno in the first half. I thought the 2 penos awarded to Derry although harsh on Utd they were penalties. I know its 2nil defeat but with a team so up for performances i can see us win on friday at home v ucd with this attitude. Disappointed but optimistic. One final point on supporters, Utd fans in the new and old stands were brilliantly vocal tonight and you would have to take your hat off to Derry supporters for coming in such large numbers on a monday night. Nice to see Utd fans applauding Derry manager and players coming off the pitch at full time

gufct
04/08/2008, 9:42 PM
Nothing special tonight, but, meh, got the job done. Galway looked very poor. Will probably get relegated judging on their last two game against us.

Just back from it you must have been at a different game. Galway were all over Derry for 3/4 of the game and had the clearest penalty of the night turned down when Quigley poleaxed Jorgensen but Mark Gough surprise surprise turned it down.

The first Derry Penalty was very soft and I didnt see the second one. Great Game and fantastic Performance from all the United Players if we keep that up we will stay up.

Tir Oilean
04/08/2008, 9:51 PM
I am very proud of the lads after tonights game. Foley passed the ball very well and worked like a terrier all night. Every single player on the park tonight gave 110% and even at 2-0 were after a goal. Though maybe we couldve brought Daisy on earlier as Russler seemed abit slower after that woeful challenge in the first half (no3 shouldve been booked for it too even though a card was shown for the tackle immediately beforehand). Gough made some awful decisions. The linesman missed a blatent double offside and gave us a goalkick when it was a clear corner kick. But all in all it was a great sight to see probably the best game of football in Terryland in some time. I feel that we are going places in this dogfight and we might even do it in style.

Well done Jeff and all the lads great performance hold your heads high.

What was tonights attendance?

SalvadorSanchez
04/08/2008, 9:57 PM
Great performance by All the Galway lads, thought both penalties were harsh but just about ok to give, we never get anything from Mark Gough (except the previous round against Bray) so no surprise that we didn't get the early penalty shout (didn't see it)
All in all we were done by a penalty and one good quick break so there's no shame in that. I think they'll kick on now against UCD and we should be able to take 3 points from that game, I assume we'll have go 4-4-2 against UCD, they're not exactly firing in goals so if we get 1 or 2 we should win that game.

Paddyfield
04/08/2008, 10:23 PM
Match report from www.rte.ie/mns

Galway United 0-2 Derry City

Monday, 4 August 2008

Late goals from Sammy Morrow and Niall McGinn decided an entertaining League Cup semi-final at Terryland Park as Derry City qualified for their fourth League Cup Final in a row.

The decisive strikes followed an earlier penalty save by Gary Rogers as Mark Farren failed to convert with his first touch.

Stephen Kenny amazingly made nine changes to his starting line-up from the side who lost narrowly to Shamrock Rovers last Friday, while Galway made two changes to their team as John Fitzgerald returned to the heart of the defence and Ciaran Foley came in for Derek Glynn.

Galway were spurred on by the memory of a harrowing recent 4-0 loss to The Candystripes in the league.

Jesper Jorgensen arrived in Galway on loan from Danish side Kolding FC last week and the striker had an immediate impact on his home debut. A burst of pace brought him past Eddie McCallion in the sixth minute before he was pole-axed by Derry 'keeper Darren Quigley, but no penalty was forthcoming.

Derry struggled to get going but Ciaran Martyn did force Gary Rogers into action before Galway forced a succession of corners which almost brought reward when Fitzgerald volleyed narrowly over the bar. Quigley could only parry John Russell's shot minutes before the break but Jorgensen couldn't force in the rebound.

Sammy Morrow then had Derry's best chance of the half when Kenna and Fitzgerald jumped for the same ball and left Morrow a clear run at goal. Again Rogers came to the rescue with a good save.

Morrow did have the ball in the net ten minutes after the break but was fractionally offside. John Lester then forced a great save from Quigley as Galway again forced a number of corners. After the drama of the two penalties, McGinn struck on the break with five minutes remaining to kill of the tie.

Galway United: Rogers; McCulloch, Kenna Molloy, 74), Fitzgerald, Conneely; Davoren, Lester, Russell (Glynn, 85), Foley, O'Shea; Jorgensen (McBrien, 85).

Derry City: Quigley; Hargan, Callaghan, McChrystal, McCallion; Morrison (Farren, 64), Martyn (McGinn, 36), Molloy, McGlynn; McHugh, Morrow (Higgins, 85).

Referee: Mark Gough.

DonO'Bate
04/08/2008, 10:24 PM
Highly entertaining match with plenty of drama, with some great play and controversial decisions. If we can reach the same level of performance again on Friday night then we will beat UCD.

Paddyfield
04/08/2008, 10:37 PM
Highly entertaining match with plenty of drama, with some great play and controversial decisions. If we can reach the same level of performance again on Friday night then we will beat UCD.

Do ya remember the 2 - 2 draw with St. Pat's? It was a similar game; we played with heart and purpose. A few days later, we were utter sh!te against Cobh.

The UCD game is a potential banana skin.

frog-gufc
04/08/2008, 11:03 PM
good performance from most of the players but why did it take so long to bring derek glynn on should have been brought on straight after the 2nd peno

eamo1
04/08/2008, 11:41 PM
Havent seen a team come to Terryland and kick like that in years,had they 6 players booked??Surely thats a fine for that amount booked??4 of those fouls were of Russell,they kicked lumps out of him.
How did we not get peno???Jorgenson looks a good players,quick,great touch,intelligent.
Good game though.We need to start shooting though,how many chnaces had we on the edge of the box and didnt pull the trigger??
BTW,to the 3 Derry "fans" who stood out right in front of us and got in our faces looking for a fight before the game,yer scum!!!

Patrick Dunne
05/08/2008, 9:26 AM
was the official attendance.

A small element of the Derry City support seemed to be "up for it", alright.

SalvadorSanchez
05/08/2008, 9:32 AM
The UCD game is a potential banana skin.[/quote]

I agree, I'm still haunted by the Cobh game. However I think everyone knows that we unlikely to into another game this season as strongly fancied to win as this one. I think it might be the most important game of the season for us, if we win, the boys will get a great confidence boost for the run in, where if we play well against teams that are around us, we could realistically pick up around 10 points)

Jeff will have them up for it...don't worry, just hope they're not knackered after a high tempo game against Derry...

GuisaSaigon
05/08/2008, 9:38 AM
A small element of the Derry City support seemed to be "up for it", alright.

Sorry to hear that. A large number of Derry fans were down in Fibbers before the game and were great craic, a credit to their club. You'll always get one or two idiots but in general Derry fans are among the best in the league.

Tir Oilean
05/08/2008, 10:13 AM
Sorry to hear that. A large number of Derry fans were down in Fibbers before the game and were great craic, a credit to their club. You'll always get one or two idiots but in general Derry fans are among the best in the league.

Ya they were enjoying themselves alright. Great away support for such a long journey on a Monday. But as the Tayto ad says theres always one! Dont let it taint your view of the Derry fans though they were A1

headtheball
05/08/2008, 10:45 AM
Ya they were enjoying themselves alright. Great away support for such a long journey on a Monday. But as the Tayto ad says theres always one! Dont let it taint your view of the Derry fans though they were A1

Probably to much to drink on the bank holiday and wanted to act the big man. You get them everywhere the odd nutbag. However 99.9% of our support can behave themselves, we just have the odd rotten apple (like all teams support) fuelled by drink mostly on these away trips.

GuisaSaigon
05/08/2008, 11:28 AM
For anyone not on the GUST Forum here's the highlights
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=LvV3i8XeOCU
How did we not get a penalty? Mark Gough bottled it as he didnt have the balls to send off the Derry Keeper:mad: The FAI should suspend him after that joke of a refereeing performance:mad:

Tir Oilean
05/08/2008, 11:57 AM
Id say there wouldnt have been a warrrant for a red as the defender was right on him too, having said that to the letter of the law he (the keeper) was the last man. disgrace no matter what way you look at it especially when you see the Derry penos and we pretty much all agree they were fair calls.

Gough was a ****e linesman and it appears he is consistant in form since he became a ref.

Maroon 7
05/08/2008, 2:15 PM
For anyone not on the GUST Forum here's the highlights
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=LvV3i8XeOCU
How did we not get a penalty? Mark Gough bottled it as he didnt have the balls to send off the Derry Keeper:mad: The FAI should suspend him after that joke of a refereeing performance:mad:

How the hell was that not a penalty?

Completely poleaxed him.

Trainee
05/08/2008, 2:57 PM
In all my years I never seen a ref so angainst us.

I would love to see the stats of when gough has been ref at utd games because he seems to give the opp penos and send off utd players.

wait till u see he will be ref at athlone game too

GuisaSaigon
05/08/2008, 3:17 PM
Remember this? http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=A02dZdGh850 go to 1:45
Google "mark gough galway united" you will get pages of reports with references to dodgy decisions. He should not be allowed ref our games, the club should make an official complaint about him. He's an absolute disgrace:mad:

wonder88
05/08/2008, 4:01 PM
arrived a bit late, and missed that peno decission. How bad a referee is this guy, absolute disgrace. Great game and really good performance, if they can repeat that on friday, we could get a really vital result. The new striker looks as if he can play a bit. Keanna has certainly improved things. Great support given by Derry fans, home fans did their bit as well, pity there wasn't more of them.

Terry-Lander
05/08/2008, 4:09 PM
Probably to much to drink on the bank holiday and wanted to act the big man. You get them everywhere the odd nutbag. However 99.9% of our support can behave themselves, we just have the odd rotten apple (like all teams support) fuelled by drink mostly on these away trips.

The vast majority of Derry fans are a credit to the club. They travelled in large numbers and all those I met before the game were extremely friendly.

Trainee
05/08/2008, 4:16 PM
Remember this? http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=A02dZdGh850 go to 1:45
Google "mark gough galway united" you will get pages of reports with references to dodgy decisions. He should not be allowed ref our games, the club should make an official complaint about him. He's an absolute disgrace:mad:

Peno for that and no peno for the chalange by keeper last night last night :mad:

The FAI Need to act 99% of refs are so **** is not even funny

DonO'Bate
06/08/2008, 12:43 AM
As one Utd supporter remarked to me upon leaving the ground, "we'll never get another penalty again, now that Derek is gone".

I am surprised that the Utd bench didn't complain more about the treatment that Russell received from the Derry defence, they kicked 7 lumps of sh**te out of him.

corbyeire
06/08/2008, 10:31 AM
Good game though.We need to start shooting though,how many chnaces had we on the edge of the box and didnt pull the trigger??

yep jay got into great positions and would go for another turn instead of hitting the bloody ball

great performance and tempo - but with that amount of ball in their 18 yard area we have to start finishing

we have had too many victory in defeats this year - need to be clinical

of course a useless ref doesnt help

ShamTalk
06/08/2008, 11:04 AM
Having had the pleasure to be at Terryland last Monday evening, there are a couple of things I would like like to say;

Best performance from a Galway United team I have seen in many a day
Great commitment from all players
Atmosphere created by home fans excellent (when was the last time a standing ovation to the team at half time when score 0-0)
Derry supporters contributed to a great overall atmosphere.
Jay O'Shea has grown in stature in last few weeks (ok could improve shooting) but is looking confident and having a go at the opposition
New striker....good touch, good awareness and not afraid to mix it.
Russell a revelation in the hole position/second striker. His corners were causing all sorts of problems all evening.
Both Derry pens were ok'ish though for second one how could defender get arm out of way from 5 yards.
Derry second goal was brilliant
Our "penalty".....nothing to add from already added.
Level of intensity and fitness seems to have improved under Jeff Kenna
Galway will play worse and win
Would be great to kick-on against UCD
Derek Glynn needs to start on Friday
And then Galway to beat Kerry on Saturday and Harrington to win PGA on Sunday.....What a weekend

eamo1
06/08/2008, 12:34 PM
Meant to comment on the attendance,where the hell(can i say "hell" on this btw?) was everyone????I only noticed it near the end when half the ground got up to leave after Derry's second goal.FACT:GALWAY IS NOT A SPORTING MAD CITY!!!!We all know that already though.

Tir Oilean
06/08/2008, 12:41 PM
Galway beating Kerry is one too far but Glynn with Jorgie would be a good partnership because he could finally get the ball to feet and score on the counterattack which is the only way we get anything from the top teams from here on in.

eamo1
06/08/2008, 12:48 PM
But if you play Jorgenson and Glynn up front where does Russell play??I suppose he could play just behind them.Our attacking 4 of those plus O'Shea is pretty good actually.He could play those 4 and then 2 holding midfielders in Foley and Lester like he did the last night.

WoodquayBoy
06/08/2008, 12:50 PM
Russell a revelation in the hole position/second striker. His corners were causing all sorts of problems all evening.

Unfortunately the problems he caused - when he took corners - was for his own side. Thought our delivery from set pieces was shoocking, we had something like 12 corners and only Lester got a header on target from them.

eamo1
06/08/2008, 12:52 PM
I agree and meant to say it,the delivery from corners was poor enough.In the second half why was Russell taking them from both sides?Can Iarlaith or Mark not cross with their left foot,they should be able.

GUISAUltra
06/08/2008, 3:51 PM
think we only took 3 good set pieces

SalvadorSanchez
06/08/2008, 5:02 PM
Unfortunately the problems he caused - when he took corners - was for his own side. Thought our delivery from set pieces was shoocking, we had something like 12 corners and only Lester got a header on target from them.

Bad set pieces.... been that way all season... bit of coaching and imagination on the set piece front could bring us a vital goal or two, it's something that we can fix so let's hope they work on it...