EsZYqaSc4cU

Chemical Brothers - Too Many Mornings - Exit Planet Dust

tQda9ReGUxI

Elliott Smith - Needle In The Hay - Elliott Smith

zfWxa-FN8X4

superfrank
03/08/2008, 1:20 AM
I'll go for Oasis.

I loved that album at the time, though I've grown out of them nowadays.

Pauro 76
03/08/2008, 10:43 AM
Radiohead - The Bends for me. Still absolutely love that album, and 'Fake Plastic Trees' still give me goosebumps 13 years on. A true classic. A close second for Mellon Collie. Some dud tracks fair enough, but rage, love, anger and every single emotion you can think of, all captured on a double album. Very hard to choose between Pulp and Chemical Brothers in there too. Oasis? Nowhere near the running.

jebus
03/08/2008, 10:46 AM
I'm an Oasis fan, but I honestly think that (What's The Story) is the second worst album on that list. For me the choice was between Pulp and Teenage Fanclub, with Pulp just edging

tetsujin1979
03/08/2008, 1:15 PM
Went with Oasis, can still remember when I bought it. Think I still have the original cassette as well.

Other albums that year
Leftism - Leftfield
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere - Slash's Snakepit
A Boy Named Goo - Goo Goo Dolls
Smart - Sleeper
Frogstomp - Silverchair
I Should Coco - Supergrass
Sparkle And Fade - Everclear
Draconian Times - Paradise Lost
Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
Boombastic - Shaggy
Garbage - Garbage
The Great Escape - Blur
One Hot Minute - Red Hot Chili Peppers
It's Great When You're Straight.. Yeah - Black Grape
The Beatles Anthology, Volume 1 - The Beatles

Pauro 76
03/08/2008, 1:32 PM
Went with Oasis, can still remember when I bought it. Think I still have the original cassette as well.

Other albums that year
Leftism - Leftfield
It's Five O'Clock Somewhere - Slash's Snakepit
A Boy Named Goo - Goo Goo Dolls
Smart - Sleeper
Frogstomp - Silverchair
I Should Coco - Supergrass
Sparkle And Fade - Everclear
Draconian Times - Paradise Lost
Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters
Boombastic - Shaggy
Garbage - Garbage
The Great Escape - Blur
One Hot Minute - Red Hot Chili Peppers
It's Great When You're Straight.. Yeah - Black Grape
The Beatles Anthology, Volume 1 - The Beatles

Some great ones in there. Still reckon the Foo Fighters debut is their best. All Dave Grohl's work too. Paradise Lost? That was a great album, cant remember the last time I heard that one.

TonyD
03/08/2008, 4:34 PM
It's the Fanclub for me. Still one of my favourite albums. A strong contender for the overall prize in my view. Radiohead and Pulp weren't half bad either.

jebus
03/08/2008, 4:36 PM
It's the Fanclub for me. Still one of my favourite albums. A strong contender for the overall prize in my view. Radiohead and Pulp weren't half bad either.

Sadly it looks like Oasis will be eliminating all three albums from the final rounds :(

Pauro 76
03/08/2008, 6:23 PM
Sadly it looks like Oasis will be eliminating all three albums from the final rounds :(

At least we know that'll be the last of Oasis in this poll. Unless 'Be Here Now' makes the shortlist for 97. Somehow i dont think it will.

GuisaSaigon
03/08/2008, 8:49 PM
Other Leftfield - Leftism. What an album!

Bluebeard
04/08/2008, 8:40 AM
Only open two days and an almost inassailable lead. And far from their best (their first). How manically depressing:(

Pauro 76
04/08/2008, 9:37 AM
Only open two days and an almost inassailable lead. And far from their best (their first). How manically depressing:(

Not for the want of trying. Even after dropping subtle hints, the public failed to listen. So much for democracy. :o

noby
04/08/2008, 10:17 AM
I went for Pulp. Not that it matters.
Other favourites that year include:
Whipping Boy - Heartworm
Paul Weller Stanley Road
Dubstar - Disgraceful
Tindersticks - Tindersticks II

Lionel Ritchie
04/08/2008, 10:52 AM

Not for the want of trying. Even after dropping subtle hints, the public failed to listen. So much for democracy. :o

Despite the fact that in that selection alone there are four albums I'd instinctively vote for ahead of it, I voted for Radioheads the Bends and would encourage other non-Oasis voters to band together and do likewise as it may still be possible to nick it and The Bends has the shortest distance to make up.

Starting to get a bit like U2 fans who want All Time Top 50 Irish Album polls to include ALL U2s albums.

Other commendations for 1995 go out to....

Some Call It Godcore - Half Man Half Biscuit
Presidents of the United States of America -Presidents of the United States of America
Raped, Killed and Left for the Buzzards -Rumble

shakermaker1982
04/08/2008, 11:28 AM
went for WTSMG.

Northern Soul by the Verve would be a very very close second. The bends coming in third.

endabob1
04/08/2008, 12:04 PM
I went for Pulp. Not that it matters.
Other favourites that year include:
Whipping Boy - Heartworm
Paul Weller Stanley Road
Tindersticks - Tindersticks II

I'd have put Weller as my #1, best album he's made since his heyday with the Jam.

gustavo
04/08/2008, 3:21 PM

I think it is every bit as good as their debut , I am a big Oasis fan and I know I'm in the minority for having that opinion

gustavo
04/08/2008, 3:22 PM
Despite the fact that in that selection alone there are four albums I'd instinctively vote for ahead of it, I voted for Radioheads the Bends and would encourage other non-Oasis voters to band together and do likewise as it may still be possible to nick it and The Bends has the shortest distance to make up.

Or maybe they could you know , vote for the album they actually like the best

The Good Son
04/08/2008, 3:55 PM
I'll go for other, Tindersticks II, and in the process complete a nice pattern of voting over the period 92 - 95.
92 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
93 Tindersticks
94 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
95 Tindersticks
I don't know what I'll do for 1996 as neither Tindersticks or Bad Seeds had an album out.

Bluebeard
04/08/2008, 4:10 PM
I know I'm in the minority for having that opinion
Ehm, have you looked at the poll results yet?

Definitely Maybe was a work of raw energy and creative drive and was the words and music of men who wanted to make music - WTSMG is an album specifically designed to be considered "Their Masterpiece" and is caught up with them being the "New Beatles" and how great their "genius" is.

monzo
04/08/2008, 4:12 PM
The Bends. Can't stand Oasis.

edit: that's not to say I voted for the Bends on the basis of my dislike for Oasis - TB is pretty damn good, think it might be a bit overrated though.

TonyD
04/08/2008, 6:33 PM
Can't believe I'm the only one who voted Teenage Fanclub. What is wrong with you people ? I give up.:mad:

noby
05/08/2008, 7:42 AM
I'll go for other, Tindersticks II, and in the process complete a nice pattern of voting over the period 92 - 95.
92 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
93 Tindersticks
94 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
95 Tindersticks
I don't know what I'll do for 1996 as neither Tindersticks or Bad Seeds had an album out.

Murder Ballads in '96
Curtains in '97

Lionel Ritchie
05/08/2008, 8:18 AM
The Bends. Can't stand Oasis.

edit: that's not to say I voted for the Bends on the basis of my dislike for Oasis - TB is pretty damn good, think it might be a bit overrated though.

went for the bends not because i dont want oasis to top the poll but simply because i love that album and i consider it radioheads finest work

That's the spirit ...as Da Brady invited us all to remember - on our own we can only empty buckets, but together -we can drain lakes:cool:

The Good Son
05/08/2008, 8:44 AM
Murder Ballads in '96
Curtains in '97

Oooops!!! Don't know how I forgot Murder Ballads. As well as Curtains in '97, there's probably my favourite Bad Seeds album - Boatman's Call, but at this stage I don't think Tindersticks or Nick Cave will be getting my '97 vote.

Macy
05/08/2008, 9:40 AM
Even for the greater good, couldn't bring myself to vote for The Bends. Just not a radiohead fan. As everyone else welched out on Different Class, I voted Other: Black Grape - It's Great When You're Straight...Yeah on the basis that I would still listen to it more than Different Class. Another very good year in my opinion - I could've gone several ways really.

Bluebeard
05/08/2008, 11:54 AM
Looks like Pulp seems to be a Waterford / Limerick thing...

Wolfie
05/08/2008, 12:16 PM
I'm an Oasis fan but I wouldn't consider WTSMG the best of '95. I went for the Bends (on merit).

I've always thought that the running order on WTSMG was compromised by the 11th hour removal of "Step Out" as Track 6. It was an upbeat tune with a great Noel vocal that would have added a bit more variety to the album.

It has more than a passing resemblance to a Stevie Wonder tune. Stevie's lawyers threatend action - Oasis dropped the tune from the album.

It finally surfaced as a B-Side to Don't look back in Anger.

Honourable mentions to:

The Verve - Northern Soul
Supergrass - I should Co Co
Black Grape - Its great when you're straight......Yeah

Didn't the Boo Radley's release "Wake Up" in 95?

stann
05/08/2008, 12:38 PM
Not able to bring myself to vote for Radiohead even for such a worthwhile cause.

Many good candidates mentioned already - Leftfield, Dubstar, Presidents, Black Grape.
Tricky - Maxinquaye not mentioned yet I think, nor 'Pure Phase' from Spiritualized (alright, ...Electric Mainline), both top efforts.
Love that Elastica album too.
Exit Planet Dust was a close second for me though.

But 'Different Class' is, well... different class! :)

shakermaker1982
06/08/2008, 9:15 AM
I'm an Oasis fan but I wouldn't consider WTSMG the best of '95. I went for the Bends (on merit).

I've always thought that the running order on WTSMG was compromised by the 11th hour removal of "Step Out" as Track 6. It was an upbeat tune with a great Noel vocal that would have added a bit more variety to the album.

It has more than a passing resemblance to a Stevie Wonder tune. Stevie's lawyers threatend action - Oasis dropped the tune from the album.

It finally surfaced as a B-Side to Don't look back in Anger.

Honourable mentions to:

The Verve - Northern Soul
Supergrass - I should Co Co
Black Grape - Its great when you're straight......Yeah

Didn't the Boo Radley's release "Wake Up" in 95?

I read that Wonder wanted too much money and Noel told em to **** off. 10% of the royalties because the chorus was similiar :D

Lionel Ritchie
06/08/2008, 10:31 AM
I read that Wonder wanted too much money and Noel told em to **** off. 10% of the royalties because the chorus was similiar :D

They released it on a b-side and it's credited as a co-write so they obviously struck a deal. I've never heard the song, only read that it's strikingly similar, but Stevie Wonder would've been well within his rights to nail them to the wall either way as it wasn't cleared until the recording was ready to go (I believe the similarity was only flagged as a serious problem when promo copies were distributed). 10% (if that's the figure) strikes me as excellent value for money on Noel Gallaghers part.

Macy
06/08/2008, 11:04 AM
They did the same for "Whatever" which was a total rip off of "All The Young Dudes" and he wouldn't do a deal with Bowie. Made out like it was Bowies and Wonders problem that he was putting out derivative crap.

shakermaker1982
06/08/2008, 11:15 AM
They released it on a b-side and it's credited as a co-write so they obviously struck a deal. I've never heard the song, only read that it's strikingly similar, but Stevie Wonder would've been well within his rights to nail them to the wall either way as it wasn't cleared until the recording was ready to go (I believe the similarity was only flagged as a serious problem when promo copies were distributed). 10% (if that's the figure) strikes me as excellent value for money on Noel Gallaghers part.

10% from WTSMG glory wouldn't be!!! Wonder may have ended up with 10% when it went out as a b-side but the A side (don't look back in anger) didn't shift millions and millions of copies unlike the album. I think I read it in an Oasis book by Mather (forget his first name).

noby
06/08/2008, 11:28 AM
They did the same for "Whatever" which was a total rip off of "All The Young Dudes"

No, no, no. 'Whatever' was a complete rip off of Neil Innes' "How Sweet to Be an Idiot", with "All The Young Dudes" tagged on at the end.
Without even hearing the Innes song you can see that the opening lines fit perfectly. Or else get Monty Python's live at the Hollywood Bowl, as he plays it on that.

Lionel Ritchie
06/08/2008, 3:03 PM
10% from WTSMG glory wouldn't be!!! Wonder may have ended up with 10% when it went out as a b-side but the A side (don't look back in anger) didn't shift millions and millions of copies unlike the album. I think I read it in an Oasis book by Mather (forget his first name).

Depends what they'd intended doing with it at the time. It was hoped it would be at least an album track. If Wonder felt that the song, containing his intellectual property, would drive up the sales of the Oasis album then the sky's the limit in terms of what he could've gone after from them.

But I was talking specifically about the song in any event. I'm told it's the chorus melody that's basically a straight lift from a Wonder song. On the basis that songs are roughly comprised 50/50 melody and lyrics then 50/50 verses and chorus ...that'd leave Wonder with a claim of around 25%.

kingdom hoop
06/08/2008, 3:10 PM
Tricky call, but plumped for Pulp. Whipping Boy (still no Irish winner of a year?) and Leftfield take honourable positions on the podium.

stann
07/08/2008, 12:10 PM
(still no Irish winner of a year?)

That's cos none of ye would vote for My Bloody Valentine! :D