PDA

View Full Version : UCD 1-1 CCFC, Flynn injured, Coughlan off

SSS
07/09/2003, 2:36 PM
He's been carted off in an Ambulance from Belfield

patsh
07/09/2003, 2:37 PM
Yeah just heard that, fell "akwardly" in the box, knee problem it seems.
UCD have just scored.
Christ what a f*ck up...:mad:

joe
07/09/2003, 2:51 PM
1-0 down and derek's been sent-off now!

Ruairi
07/09/2003, 3:07 PM
bit of a disaster alright. fancy georgie to get a hatrick though :D

patsh
07/09/2003, 3:10 PM
1 - 0 at half time

Ruairi
07/09/2003, 3:23 PM
heard a rumour that John has cruciate ligament damage :(

joe
07/09/2003, 3:27 PM
that's what they're saying on the radio too

1-1 doyler

ccfc till i die
07/09/2003, 3:48 PM
Mind you they said the same about Greg and he was back within 3 weeks.

G'wan Doyler ya legend.

Cityace
07/09/2003, 4:09 PM
Guy on the radio said he thinks they are bringing him to the hospital "just in-case".

ccfc till i die
07/09/2003, 4:17 PM
It finished 1-1

joe
07/09/2003, 5:35 PM
apparently flynny was back in belfield by full-time and it's not as serious as first thought

patsh
07/09/2003, 6:35 PM
Looking at the few pieces of action shown on RTE, Derek looked like a dray horse being passed by a thoroughbred for their goal. Is he really as slow as that?:(
Sending off looked harsh, I thought.
Still, given the events of the first half, a draw was probably a good result.

James
08/09/2003, 7:36 AM
flynny should be ok and back within 10days - 2 weeks or so max. i've heard

-james

:ball:

ccfcman
08/09/2003, 8:34 AM
spillage on the big red lunch said it was a strained knee ligament max 2weeks,city have no cup match fri so he should be fit for the bohs match fri week:)

Ali-G
08/09/2003, 8:47 AM
I see that Mucka came on for flynny, then was taken off again at half time. Did he play badly or what? Was he put on up front?

James
08/09/2003, 8:59 AM
mucca imo didnt really do much wrong
was a change of tactics, trying something different from dolan in order to get the goal back

once city went down to 10men, george dropped to midfield, greg to defence and doyler played upfront

Peadar
08/09/2003, 9:15 AM
Mulconroy was replaced by Kevin Murray who played as centre-half, thus re-establishing our back 4 with Horgan - K Murray - D Murray - Woods
Greg played on the right with Casey on the left.
Colin T was in the centre with George dropping back along side him. Doyler played alone up front.
Bennet replaced Greg in a straight swap.
I would have taken Doyler off at that stage instead of Greg and played George up front for the last 10 minutes or so.
Casey really disappointed me.

b_mcsweeney
08/09/2003, 9:26 AM
once derek got sent off, greg filled in at center half until half time. during the break, the team was realigned and i think mulconroy was just the unlucky odd man out. that said, he didn't exactly do much in the limited time he had and got caught on the ball once or twice.

i've yet to be impressed by casey, is the bloke ever in a hurry about anything? he was so slow to close the ball down at times yesterday it was criminal, especially considering how hard some of the others were working. less said about his 'finish' the better.

i thought dan murray looked a different player once derek went off, maybe its just me but the two lads don't look comfortable together at all yet. george o'callaghan gave one of the best and most committed performances i've ever seen. not only was he our best player going forward, he was also the best in midfield and probably our best defender. an awesome display, especially the 15-20 minutes just after the break. you'd be disappointed with the draw, considering all the other teams around us won this weekend, but given the way the game went it was a good point to pick up. oh, and i'd no complaints about the sending off either, seemed fairly clear cut.

James
08/09/2003, 9:30 AM
yeah another mammoth performance by george
covered acres of ground and just like duff was irelands main and sometimes only threat against the russians on sat, o'callaghan was equally important for us yesterday.. easily the player of the season so far for me

actually thought ireland needed a george like player in midfield v the russians, too often then seemed totally lifeless, directionless.. so many times players in the middle of the park didnt know what to do with the ball or else were there was no-one in support when needed to receive the ball from the wings or from the front men in the midfield area

Georgie for ireland

*expect to see the word 'mammoth' in Ken O Connors piece on Thursday*

fella
08/09/2003, 10:04 AM
Would have to agree with the sentiments of others on Casey looked very leaden footed all day, reluctant to take his man on and gave Billy very option when he (Billy) tried to attack as he never even made a little angled run to give and option just stood there - they actually ran into each other at one stage.
I'd say kearney must be close to getting a run out & again drags up the question why Warren was loaned out

Overall would have to be reasonably happy with a point yesterday and am relieved that Johnno appears to be ok.

pete
08/09/2003, 10:34 AM
Shocking first half performance by city but really upped it in the 2nd half although not many chances created & then ultimately running out of steam.

Hopefully O'Flynn will be back because whatever type of season we have left would a be a whole lot worse without him. Derek maybe slightly unlucky to be sent off but can't blame anyone else. K Murray did well in the 2nd half & interestingly he was used while Bennet on the bench. Casey was poor & doesn't look like a midfielder & if he continues like that won't be a t city next season. Doyle ran his socks off all day without much support & George the key to the point as he the only player capable of holding onto the ball.

I think the case for George in midfield gets stronger.

niamh
08/09/2003, 11:07 AM
Until his sending off, Derek was getting a lot of headers. Dan was having a bit of a nightmare. Once Derek was gone, he improved. Thought Mucka was unlucky to be subbed after coming on as he did alright. It's a pity he has not got a decent run out for the first team.
It was a very poor performance in the first and to be honest there were a few players who just didn't seem willing to chase the ball down.
Bit like Irish performance.

Schumi
08/09/2003, 3:24 PM
Had we got a bit more penetration going forward, we would have won the game (very disappointed with a draw). The red card was correct, he hacked Rooney down in a clear goal scoring position and had to be sent off. Cork did as well as a team can with 9 players behind the ball and were lucky to get a messy goal.

b_mcsweeney
08/09/2003, 5:01 PM
in all fairness, ucds was hardly the tidiest finish, or best piece of build up play ever either (what with some city player [greg? colin t?, can't remember] falling over and giving away the ball). ucd created very little against a side with 10 men for a fair portion of the game, apart from long range efforts that devine for the most part dealt comfortably with. i thought city deserved a point, if only for the way they came out after the break with their backs to the wall and really took the game to ucd. city dominated for about 20 minutes after the restart and it was only in the last 10-15 minutes when the legs started to go for city that i thought ucd looked in any way the better side. course, i might be biased like!

James
08/09/2003, 5:31 PM
and some UCD fan told me afterwards twas probably their best performance of the season!!

going down lads if ye keep playing / not creating chances like ye did yesterday

pineapple stu
08/09/2003, 9:23 PM
Originally posted by James
and some UCD fan told me afterwards twas probably their best performance of the season!!

going down lads if ye keep playing / not creating chances like ye did yesterday

One of our best anyway. Would have to be to be in the situation we're in now. But we were all over yez for the first and last 20/30 minutes with what wasn't far off being a B team, played what we call football (I know that might be an alien concept in Cork!:D ) and anything less than a draw would have been a travesty. Cork in the meantime stuck nine men behind the ball and hoped to get a lucky chance - can't blame yez with Coughlan sent off, but it's a bit rich to turn around and say we weren't great!

And how yez (b_mcsweeney) can say that our finish was untidy I don't know, even allowing for the fact that you're a Cork fan! Sullivan picked the ball up in midfield, sliced the Cork defence with a through-ball and Rooney - our sixth choice striker 'cos everyone else is injured - slotted home very comfortably. Reminds me of Ireland-England in the'90 Finals, when Robson said that Sheedy's goal was scrappy and Lineker's was well taken!

razor
09/09/2003, 7:37 AM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
One of our best anyway. But we were all over yez for the first and last 20/30 minutes with what wasn't far off being a B team,

The old St Pats excuse again,
Did ye want us to postpone it til ye had a few players back ?

I mean in all fairness, ye are not 7 points adrift at the bottom and managerless for no reason
:rolleyes:

Schumi
09/09/2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by razor
Did ye want us to postpone it til ye had a few players back ? Are you not reading properly or just stupid?

We are missing 7 or 8 first choice players. We're not blaming our position on that (although it hasn't helped) but it's a fact whether you want to believe it or not.

pineapple stu
09/09/2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by razor
Did ye want us to postpone it til ye had a few players back ?

I mean in all fairness, ye are not 7 points adrift at the bottom and managerless for no reason
:rolleyes:

Eh...my point was that it was a very encouraging performance given that we were missing the seven or eight players, which is why we said that it was one of our best performances this season.

patsh
09/09/2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
Are you not reading properly or just stupid?

We are missing 7 or 8 first choice players. We're not blaming our position on that (although it hasn't helped) but it's a fact whether you want to believe it or not.
Hold on, Schumi, take it easy.
Razor was just pointing out that every time we play Pats, certain fans always say that they couldn't field a full team, had mostly under-21s, or some other bullsh*t.

b_mcsweeney
09/09/2003, 1:27 PM
city player falls over and gives the ball away, from where its slipped through for the striker whos now 1 on 1 with the keeper. whether hes 1st or 7th choice, you'd like to think he'd finish that. it was hardly a goal of the season contender itself. an earlier post had bemoaned city getting a 'messy' equaliser. both goals were probably indicative of the game, neither side exactly covered themselves in glory. i thought city deserved the point, but i can understand how ucd fans'd be disappointed they only got the draw in the end, playing against 10 men and all.

oh, and in sheedys defence, he did beat the "best goalkeeper in the world"!

pineapple stu
09/09/2003, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by patsh
Hold on, Schumi, take it easy.
Razor was just pointing out that every time we play Pats, certain fans always say that they couldn't field a full team, had mostly under-21s, or some other bullsh*t.

No he wasn't - he was likening us to Pat's fans!:D

And not to labour the point, but b_mcsweeney did say that our goal was "not the tidiest of finishes" - whether or not the City lad fell over the ball in midfield doesn't take away from the finish, which was very tidy, even if he would have been expected to score!

Peadar
10/09/2003, 8:42 AM
doesn't take away from the finish, which was very tidy, even

It was a great goal from a UCD point of view.
The forward caught Dan Murray on the wrong foot and he got turned. He still had a lot of work to do after that and he kept his head and finished well.
We got a rub of the green for our goal through bad defending from UCD but Doyler finished well considering the tight situation he was in. I just hope the loss of Doolin wont mean that you revert back to the hacking game.

pineapple stu
10/09/2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
It was a great goal from a UCD point of view.
The forward caught Dan Murray on the wrong foot and he got turned. He still had a lot of work to do after that and he kept his head and finished well.
We got a rub of the green for our goal through bad defending from UCD but Doyler finished well considering the tight situation he was in. I just hope the loss of Doolin wont mean that you revert back to the hacking game.

Rant a lot and someone'll agree with you eventually!:D

Don't think any new manager will revert to hacking. For one thing, we were never really a hacking team (with the exception of Éamon McLoughlin:eek: ), but also we have a history of being a decent footballing side and the board will choose the new manager based on, among other things, his style of play.

Peadar
10/09/2003, 1:12 PM
we have a history of being a decent footballing side.

That must have been before my time.
All I remember UCD for was a boring defensive game trying to catch the opposition with the long ball. I've seen UCD v City games where it was hack at all costs in an attempt to stop City getting any rhythm. You've been playing better under Doolin than you have done for years. The bad news now it that Doolin will keep Drogheda up.

pineapple stu
10/09/2003, 9:25 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
That must have been before my time.
All I remember UCD for was a boring defensive game trying to catch the opposition with the long ball. I've seen UCD v City games where it was hack at all costs in an attempt to stop City getting any rhythm. You've been playing better under Doolin than you have done for years. The bad news now it that Doolin will keep Drogheda up.

Doolo got us onto counter attacking, which was sit deep, knock long (but accurate) balls into space and use the pace of Johnny and Robbie Martin to get behind the defence. Our game against Velbazhd in the InterToto under Martin Moran in 2000 had some brilliant football - the third goal came after a ten-pass move up the pitch. I'm sure we've hoofed and hacked it in some games - maybe Cork bringing us down to their level on the former?:D - but overall, most people will agree that we do try and play ball.